Next Coach: Next season
Tickets: Quins

www CAW

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Quins staff
Go Quins Go! (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 15:05
Jon Salinger and Julian Gent both made redundant today. Sad day for the club.

GQG.

Re: Quins staff
Rocker (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 15:18
? What's your source? Seems odd

Go Quins Go! (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 15:20
Both announced on Twitter.

GQG.

Rocker (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 15:22
Wonder why? Jon always seemed to do a good job, was certainly very pro-active.

Maybe it's all being taken over by blue sky leisure instead?

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 15:25
That is sad. Best wishes to both.

Arlecchino (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 15:28
From what I have heard on the grapevine, restructuring reducing the number of staff.

Nunquam Dormio

Go Quins Go! (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 15:30
I wondered if ticketing and hospitality might both be outsourced in the longer term.

Can you imagine trying to deal with Ticketmaster on a regular basis? No thanks!

GQG.

Rocker (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 15:32
Oh god I hope not!

Ticketing was always rather good actually I thought.

Nigel_B (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 15:36
Jon has often posted on this mesage board.

Jon, if you do come back to see what's happening on this MB (probably not because the loyalty you have shown has not been reciprocated) my very best wishes to you and Julian for the future.

GrubbyQuin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 15:39
Really bad news. Jon was always really efficient and helpful (don't think I ever dealt with Julian). Didn't he come from another club who regretted losing him?

As it is the post that becomes redundant, rather than the individual, that would unfortunately suggest that ticketing is going to be handled by someone outside Quins. If it's Ticketmaster, bleak and expensive times ahead.

Rocker (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 15:40
I really hope it isn't being outsourced, it was always rather nice to ring up and speak to someone who knew the ground, knew the fixtures etc without having to refer to a screen.

Arlecchino (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 15:44
No it doesn't suggest it is being outsourced. If you (hypothetical figures) reduce 12 people to 7 and combine a number of roles/reassign roles then people can be made redundant if the 12 existing people are effectively in competition through applying for the 7 new posts. Seen in happen quite a bit recently. In one case a former employer (I had already left) did it the nasty way and gave a whole department redundancy notices and then told them they could apply for the new restructured and reduced jobs.

Nunquam Dormio

Go Quins Go! (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 15:59
Unless you were very inefficient 7 people can't do 12 people's work. The workload would have to be reduced and outsourcing is way of doing that.

GQG.

Quinn-nine (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 16:11
Sad news indeed, I've always been very happy in my dealings with both of them.

Best of luck to them in their future endeavours.

DOK (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 16:17
This will be part of the new CEO's restructuring,

[www.quins.co.uk]

They must have some bloody fine people in place if they can afford to let Jon Salinger go. (Sorry JG, know less about you!)

Arlecchino (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 16:20
Quote:
Go Quins Go!
Unless you were very inefficient 7 people can't do 12 people's work. The workload would have to be reduced and outsourcing is way of doing that.

I said they were hypothetical figures. It could be 10 into 8. I don't know.

Nunquam Dormio

Go Quins Go! (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 16:38
I'm sure it will all become clear over the next few days or weeks...

GQG.

Arlecchino (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 16:38
I am now informed my hypothetical scenario is wrong. The staffing is being increased.

Nunquam Dormio

Re: Quins staff Redundancy
PickledPelican (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 16:39
Sad news...I've dealt with both, and was always treated very well ( that's good isn't it? )

It's business - not personal! - they always say that...

"led by experienced executives who will report to the club's Chief Executive, David Ellis" that sounds expensive!!

Elecquin (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 17:06
Jon nd Julian were always brilliant at what they did and helped wherever they could.
You will both be missed. If your enthusiasm and pride in what you do have anything to do with it you both should easily get another job!
Best of luck for the future

Re: Quins staff Redundancy
Tedquinton (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 17:06
Really upset about this - Jon and his team have always been really helpful & extremely 'customer focussed'.

I fear the club may come to regret this.

Heath Quinn (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 17:19
Always great to deal with, will be missed I'm sure.

Nigel_B (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 17:33
Really hoping that Ticketmaster does not getr a look in. Worst scenario is that a number of tickets get sectioned off for Viagogo

T-Bone (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 17:41
Never dealt with julian but have always found jon and his team very helpful, including when he has come on to this board to clarify matters.

Babs (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 18:35
Absolutely gutted for both of them.
St Julian (as I always referred to him) has been an absolute star and Jon has continued Quins' great record of having 1st class ticket people.

I trust there will be no more losses of staff and would be more than happy to contribute to leaving presents for both these guys if Quinssa or someone else feels like making a collection.

twickenham yeti (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 20:16
I am gutted with the news. Both were seriously talented individuals, who gave their all to the club. I feel we have a viper in charge. A two faced individual who puts profit before his staff. I have met the man, and frankly, he reminds me of our "esteemed" past PM Tony Blair. All smiles but behind that, a bit of a nasty character.

I am worried that this puts a smear on our wonderful club. For me, and I hasten to add that this is only me, I will have to think think hard and fast about renewing my debenture as a result. I cannot stand this side of "business".

NOT A HAPPY TEDDY!

One of the founder members of the Q-GOMC (promoted to Major Grump) – and proud of it - Bah!

Scamble (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 20:28
Jesus christ, you wouldn't want to jump to conclusions. I hope we never meet, I dread to think what you'd think of me....

01 March, 2012 20:36
Scamble, Not jumping to conclusions. I've been party to some information which I was asked to keep confidential. I did. Now it is public knowledge.

It STINKS. I appreciate business has its road kill, but this does not make any sense. Especially with a world record holder being run over!

One of the founder members of the Q-GOMC (promoted to Major Grump) – and proud of it - Bah!

johnlid (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 20:47
Two points

If the club is losing money -- which I guess it is -- economies may have to be made.

However, as my Chief Executive said -- you don't cut your way to growth.

Both contradictory, but that's life. But if you cut to save money in the short term and hack off your customer base, that's stupid.

Perhaps a clarificatory statement from the Club would help. The one in DOK's link above is pure PR speak, says nothing and leads one to wonder what's going on behind the scenes.

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 20:47
To be fair Scamble, you are an acquired taste !
(Sm126)

Scamble (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 20:48
As is beer and beer is brilliant.

ianco (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 21:10
With the cash saved on these two, Quins could have bought about half a Sebastian Chabal.

Quin Kong (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 21:42
Not happy, the club was/is a club but will this mean it is purely business? We still aren't big enough to lose stalwart guardians like this as that connection is very important for both season ticket holders and members!

QUIN KONG

Babs (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 21:45
If we're buying any part of Chabal, can we please shave it!

harlequinade (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 22:22
Quote:
Babs
If we're buying any part of Chabal, can we please shave it!

Would you like me to get you the razor and the shaving cream?

harlequinade (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 22:25
By the way,I am also very sorry to see Jon go.
He has always given me first class customer service, and also impressed me with his attitude to the job.
We will be very lucky if we get any better.
I don't know Julien.

1908 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 22:32
Babs......stop Bicering.

JB1 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 22:36
Poor decision. Building a brand is about delivering "message"'across all strata.

col01 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 23:56
Redundancy is a funny thing i hope they wanted it if not I'm pretty cheesed off as any guy (Jon) who would come on a message board to inform and correct has to be a good thing. Haven't posted in ages but this really means alot, good luck to you both especially Jon look after yourselves ah can't believe the world these people are worth it.

Go Quins Go! (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 00:25
According to comments on Twitter from J & J today this was neither wanted or, until last week, expected.

GQG.

ArchQuin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 08:32
As has been said above, JS has always been helpful on this board and in personal emails - I wonder if the replacement will be quite so customer focused? (Sm102)

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 09:03
Jon's been a great representative for the club. Sad news.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Julian Gent (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 09:09
Hi ladies and gents - yes, it is indeed true that we left the club yesterday after being made redundant - a very sad day indeed.

I shall hold many lovely memories of you all and the club in general.....the lovely reception we got at Pertemps Bees when we really didnt want to be there (!), last gasp win at Connacht the next season and the great night post match, Stade and Toulouse away, Munster in Limerick (Mrs Gent the Munster fan still sulking!) regularly doing Wasps and the young guns up at Sale last autumn showing the future is bright.

Good luck to you all and mine's a Guinness if anyone sees me at a game in the future!!!

02 March, 2012 09:22
I cannot reveal my sources but I have learned that this is not a cost-cutting exercise. The combination of the salaries for the new 5 positions are triple to quadruple what Jon and Julian were earning.

I also understand that next season's pricings are not going to be at all palatable across the board.

It sounds as if this will turn out to be only a rich man's sport which will price a lot of us out.

I love Harlequins. My debenture holding cost me a large amount, but I could just afford it and I have got a lot out of it. As my debenture term runs out after next season, it would appear that it will sadly be my last year attending live games.

I would love someone from Harlequins to come on to this site and assure me and all on this forum that my sources are wrong.

Over to you Mr Ellis! This has sullied my enjoyment of our current success.Feeling more grumpy than ever.

Never thought I would say this but might have alter alter my allegence to London Scottish.

arfa (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 09:37
Oh dear. I am really not liking what I am hearing. I accept that there is a price for success but my season ticket has doubled in cost over the years.
I am sorry to hear of the redundancies and i wish both well for the future.

02 March, 2012 09:40
Fakk me, I hope some of you lot have bloody good solicitors because certain comments on this threat look a lot like libel to me...

"I feel we have a viper in charge. A two faced individual who puts profit before his staff. I have met the man, and frankly, he reminds me of our "esteemed" past PM Tony Blair. All smiles but behind that, a bit of a nasty character.

I am worried that this puts a smear on our wonderful club. For me, and I hasten to add that this is only me, I will have to think think hard and fast about renewing my debenture as a result. I cannot stand this side of "business".

And in any case, saying cheerio to Jon and Julian on a thread is one thing, but what the hell gives any of you muppets the right to openly comment on the HR policies and internal strategies of a business in such a personal way. Shoit, you lot really don't get it sometimes do you.

Good luck in court.

"Last one in's an Offiziere. No offence Sir."

DOK (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 09:43
The irony is that having fired the IT manager, they apparently haven't the guts (or possibly the ability) to put up an official notice announcing the fact.

Quote:
David Ellis
"We believe that the time is right for Harlequins to become a more customer focussed and consistently profitable business, in the process achieving our ambition to rank among Europe's leading clubs. We intend to grasp the opportunity to grow and are confident that the changes announced today will ensure we are successful."

How can you become more "customer focussed" by getting rid of two of the best guys in the club at dealing with customers?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2012 09:43 by DOK.

Scamble (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 10:11
Quote:
Steeevo
Fakk me, I hope some of you lot have bloody good solicitors because certain comments on this threat look a lot like libel to me...
"I feel we have a viper in charge. A two faced individual who puts profit before his staff. I have met the man, and frankly, he reminds me of our "esteemed" past PM Tony Blair. All smiles but behind that, a bit of a nasty character.

And in any case, saying cheerio to Jon and Julian on a thread is one thing, but what the hell gives any of you muppets the right to openly comment on the HR policies and internal strategies of a business in such a personal way. Shoit, you lot really don't get it sometimes do you.

Good luck in court.

Touché

Arlecchino (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 10:47
Quote:
twickenham yeti
I also understand that next season's pricings are not going to be at all palatable across the board.

Never thought I would say this but might have alter alter my allegence to London Scottish.

I moaned a great deal last year when my cheapskate 99er went up to £150 (and got a terse message from Mark Evans into the bargain). I swallowed it. As it is for our 3 season tickets, I've missed 2 matches, my wife has missed 4 and our mate because of circumstances has only made it to 1 match. Though my daughter has made some use of them too.

I would be very keen on carrying on with two next year, but not if their is another hike in prices.

I have a (scot who lives in London) mate who goes to Scottish, and my wife is a scot living in London.

I will always be a Quin, but could see me sharing my match going round Quins, Scottish, Welsh, Rosslyn Park, Esher, Blackheath and Westcombe Park...

Nunquam Dormio

Angostura (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 10:50
I'm glad I'm not in the HR dept where you lot work!!

If companies didn't move on and redundancies didn't happen, then the Country would have been bankrupt a long time ago by the likes of British Steel losing £1m per day.

We can't possibly know all the ins and outs of the restructuring and the circumstances which led to the redundancies.

Whilst Jon and Julian have my deepest sympathies because redundancy is a horrible thing to face, we should not leap to condemn the club. I hope that the club have been honourable and have done this in the most employee focussed way. I also hope that this part of a positive move for the club (and for Jon and Julian)

Jon and Julian, I wish you all the very best for the future and thank you for your professionalism and contribution to what I like to refer to as "my club".

RESPECT THE REF - NO REF, NO GAME!

Arlecchino (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 11:38
Quote:
Angostura
If companies didn't move on and redundancies didn't happen, then the Country would have been bankrupt a long time ago by the likes of British Steel losing £1m per day.

We can't possibly know all the ins and outs of the restructuring and the circumstances which led to the redundancies.

Whilst Jon and Julian have my deepest sympathies because redundancy is a horrible thing to face, we should not leap to condemn the club. I hope that the club have been honourable and have done this in the most employee focussed way. I also hope that this part of a positive move for the club (and for Jon and Julian)

Jon and Julian, I wish you all the very best for the future and thank you for your professionalism and contribution to what I like to refer to as "my club".

I think you have missed the point of what people are saying.
We know it is an increase in staff and an increase in staff costs. So the restructuring is about how the new CE wants to run the club.
Many of us as customers have found Jon in particular a very customer focused member of staff, and think he has reflected the ethos that we want to see from "our club".
Therefore, if Jon is being replaced, and by more people, then it is only reasonable for us to question whether the club is moving away from what has been a very one to one customer focused ethos and raise our concerns. That is how I read what people are saying.

Having said that, I am not going to be presumptive about what is being planned.

Nunquam Dormio

02 March, 2012 12:10
Jon S was always the antithesis to the faceless corporate monolith. Old School Rugby Type. Beware the danger of alienating your fans without explanation.

And, great work Jon and Julian. All the best.

Adventure before Dementia!

ChiddQuin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 12:41
Regardless of the pro's and con's there seems to be a bit of a PR hole here that needs filling by the club.

02 March, 2012 12:47
Quote:
ChiddQuin
Regardless of the pro's and con's there seems to be a bit of a PR hole here that needs filling by the club.

Bullshoit. This is an internal company issue and has the square root of fakk-all to do with any of us outside the company.

ChiddQuin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 12:49
Well that's clearly not true. Both gentelemen interact with members and you can see by the reaction on this board that keeping it an "internal company issue" is having an impact on how the company / club is perceived. Ignore that at your peril. It's a PR hole.

Go Quins Go! (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 12:52
It has nothing to do with us when a senior member of staff who we all deal with regularly and has done a very good job as far as I can see, is replaced without explanation?

We are (nearly?) all members of the club and deserve an explanation as a matter of courtesy.

GQG.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 13:02
I'm confused how someone who is a debenture holder won't be able to afford a season ticket next season - how much are they going up by?!

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Rocker (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 13:15
Steevo, much as I mostly agree. We don't deserve or have any right to be told anything but it is normal to keep your "stakeholders" informed about what is going on.

DOK (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 13:16
Steeevo, I appreciate you're engaged by this issue but would you mind moderating your language? I wince every time I hit the fakk word!

Angostura (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 13:44
Quote:
Arlecchino
Quote:
Angostura

I think you have missed the point of what people are saying.
We know it is an increase in staff and an increase in staff costs. So the restructuring is about how the new CE wants to run the club.
Many of us as customers have found Jon in particular a very customer focused member of staff, and think he has reflected the ethos that we want to see from "our club".
Therefore, if Jon is being replaced, and by more people, then it is only reasonable for us to question whether the club is moving away from what has been a very one to one customer focused ethos and raise our concerns. That is how I read what people are saying.

Having said that, I am not going to be presumptive about what is being planned.

Arlecchino, the basis of most people's hysteria seems to be "Jon was nice to me on the phone and seemed helpful therefore it's an outrageous decision to make him redundant and the club is about to self-implode".

Just trying to bring a bit of reality to the party. At the point of redundancy, nobody outside the decision maker(s) 100% knows the reasons for the decision. There's also a whole lot more to many situations than meet the eye (or are told by 1 party). So those who are saying that the club are wrong for doing this are perhaps jumping the gun.

RESPECT THE REF - NO REF, NO GAME!

Aladquin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 13:45
It's always a bad day when people are made redundent esp when we know and like them, however business is business.

If and its a big IF they put all tickets through ticketmaster they better not put up prices next year as I hate ticketmaster charging 10% handeling fee!

I can only assume that next season every game will be a sell out as if Jon & Julian wer'nt required/surplus to requirments, there must be a plan in place for the club to sell more tickets and increase attendance/revenue!?

Blank436 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 13:47
Very sad about this. I hope there's an extremely good reason. I've not encountered Julian but Jon S has been repeatedly helpful when I've (all too often) messed up tickets etc - well beyond just doing the job.

I know the club is a business and these things happen but this smells bad.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 13:50
I dont understand this decision, but all the best Jon/Julian...

(Sm128)

Blank436 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 13:51
Quote:
Steeevo

Good luck in court.

Not a lawyer I assume Steevo? Opinion is - at the moment - fairly safe!

Arlecchino (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 13:59
Quote:
sam123
Quote:
Steeevo

Good luck in court.

I thought of saying that too, but didn't want to seem to be looking for an argument (I'm not). IANAL but I have been trained in libel law and have trained people who have to have a good understanding of libel law. I haven't seen anything in this topic that gets even closs to actionable.

Nunquam Dormio

02 March, 2012 14:06
Arlecchino is a big girls blouse!

How's that?

Adventure before Dementia!

T-Bone (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 14:12
Libel, slander and defamation are words that people love to throw around on this and other boards. Comments along the lines of "I strongly advise you remove that comment before I consider taking further action". Yawn. Yes, go on then, go to your solicitor, tell him that someone has upset you on CAW and see how much he's going to charge you to sit there and listen to your woee. I know there have been cases of something put on a message board resulting in defamation proceedings but very very few and most have turned on details fairly unique to the relevant cases

Chiswick Quin (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 14:21
Strange and sad decision, am sorry to see both go and best wishes for the future to both Jon and Julian

On ticketing I hope this talk of outsoucing is wide of the mark - the staff at the Quins ticket office are the most helpful and friendly bunch - quite often I bring friends to games so need to move my ST seat for one off games and buy extra tickets so we can all sit together and they are always willing to help with that. If that were to go away I would probably reconsider buying a season ticket

Re: Quins staffs
Blank436 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 14:34
Quote:
Arlecchino
Quote:
sam123
Quote:
Steeevo

Good luck in court.

I thought of saying that too, but didn't want to seem to be looking for an argument (I'm not). IANAL but I have been trained in libel law and have trained people who have to have a good understanding of libel law. I haven't seen anything in this topic that gets even closs to actionable.

I know ...shouldn't rise to it but it's one of my (few!) pet hates. There should be a Godwin's law equivalent explaining that as any Internet discussion continues the probability of someone making wildly ill-informed, implausible and ignorant 'legal' noises approaches one.

We have the most restrictive libel/slander laws in the western world - but i can still say that, for example, in my opinion (deliberately non-controversial) Jeremy Clarkson is an ignorant boor who smells faintly of borrowed horse manure. I couldn't - in England - speculate as to other newsworthy activities he & other very famous people may have engaged in in Oxfordshire. It's not hard.

Arlecchino (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 14:34
Quote:
deadlyfrom5yardsout
Arlecchino is a big girls blouse!

How's that?

Unless I have a full retraction by the end of the day I shall be calling my lawyers!

http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/smileys/judge-smiley.gif

Nunquam Dormio

Mr_B (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 15:59
Gutted for them, been helped by Jon several times when things went wront in the system and he's always been brilliant so very sorry at this decision. Wish you both the very best for the future and thank you for everything you've done over the years it has been greatly appreciated.

KevT (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 16:12
I feel very sorry for Jon and Julian who I met a number of times, liked and who did a very good job.

A new CEO comes in and wants to put in his own people to deliver his own strategy. A strategy that the Board employed him to execute. Delivery of that strategy is how the board and shareholders will measure his performance. Sadly it is part and parcel of corporate life.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 16:17
[quote KevT]I feel very sorry for Jon and Julian who I met a number of times, liked and who did a very good job.

A new CEO comes in and wants to put in his own people to deliver his own strategy. A strategy that the Board employed him to execute. Delivery of that strategy is how the board and shareholders will measure his performance. Sadly it is part and parcel of corporate life.[/quote

It would be nice if the fans were let in on what the strategy is. Its very hard to feel involved with a club when they don't caommunicate what the heck is going on.

I'd also have to question the wisdom of ticket price hikes in the middle of the worst economic crisis since the 30s. Personally, more than a 10% hike would probably see me have to jack in the season ticket.

02 March, 2012 16:18
So it's ok to indulge in character assasination on the internet purely because you say "in my opinion"? Yeesh.

Anyway, putting aside the legality of all that for a minute and concentrating on the basics here. I still can't grasp how anyone can possibly suggest that they are "due" or "owed" an explanation regarding what is going on at the club (on a business footing). You simply aren't. "Stakeholder" is another word bandied around on this site with gay abandon. Regardless of your standing in the grand scheme of things, you are only a customer. A number. Someone who enjoys a service. You a due an explanation regarding the business policies of the club no more than you are regarding the business policies of your local Sainsburys, cinema, or petrol station. Seriously guys, you may like Jon and Julian - why not, they're nice guys - but don't for a moment thing you're owed an explanation.

Now, heads out of backsides, please.

02 March, 2012 16:23
By the way, as far as I can see the club has not actually suggested that season tickets are actually going to be subject to an inflation-busting price-hike has it? Shouldn't all this hysterical circumspection be toned down until all teh facts are known?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net