Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from GoogleQuins Official SiteDiamond Geezers Website

Coach Travel Details | Join Quinssa!
Next Coach: Next season
Tickets: Quins

www CAW

Well I enjoyed it
The Prof (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 09:41
I thought both sides wanted to play attractive rugby. The defences of both teams were ferocious, especially Quins defence where we were repeatedly knocking them back.

The scrum worked well as did the lineout.

The one or two doom mongers who have been saying how terrible it was must have been watching another match.

Barnes didn't help at times with his inconsistency.

Bath should take a lot of credit for their defence which snuffed out a number of chances.

Re: Well I enjoyed it
raedarius (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 09:46
Didn't we give away a couple of free kicks in the lineout?

The Prof (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 09:59
I saw one but I'm not sure what it was for. I think we might have lost one but I think we pinched one or two too.

I thought Danny looked very sharp, Robson looked back to full fitness, the scrum had a bit of an upper hand.

JB1 (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 10:14
We gave two FK away at lineout for joining the lineout.

Really enjoyed the intensity of our defence, line speed was phenomenal and as sad, first time for a long time, we were consitstantly hitting hard and pushing players back! Loved it!

Big Mo coming on and demolishing Bath on his own and winning te game with a try has to be the most impact full 25mi s I haw seen from a substitute in a long while!

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 10:19
Could not agree more Prof - Two teams who have not played for a couple of weeks, both looked to move the ball - mistakes occurred but the game was not bad. Quins were strong in the scrum, a little iffy in the line out to begin with but started to disrupt as the game wore on. Defence was EPIC, every time Bath got possession near our 22, we smashed them back.

Pretty pleased with that. Oh and we won! Always nice!

We'll need to be a lot better next week, no doubt, but hopefully the cobwebs have been blown away.

Squirrel Nutquin (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 10:52
Prof - I was a wee bit worried when I saw you walking purposefully along the front of the LV in a northerly direction soon after the start. You ok?

25 March, 2012 11:35
Loved it too!!!

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 11:53
Big defence on their ball carriers (Caldwell in particular) cheered me up. Reffing in the first half hurt the game, our own decision making in the second.

Not a great game but an important win. I'll take it...

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 18:12
Well I enjoyed it too, despite for the second game running having a group of people behind me chatting through the whole game on absolutely everything unconnected with Rugby!! Why do they bother coming to watch??? Lovely weather & a knowledgeable away following who were excellent value. Tight game, we just did enough over the 80 mins to deserve it, but Bath really worked hard & yep Barnes did no-one any favours really. Great day out!

Arlecchino (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 00:14
On the blowing away of cobwebs NEv tweeted after the match:

Felt a bit in holiday mode still today but we will bank that 4 points and enjoy the win... Fantastic day!!! #sunsunsun

Nunquam Dormio

T-Bone (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 09:33
It was a fairly exciting match but ultimately both defences were good enough to prevent the try fest many had predicted. we certainly looked a bit rusty, which is not all that surprising, but other than the possible citings and the injury to ugo we got through the match with a win, clean bill of health and a decent workout before the sarries game

DOK (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 09:56
Conor did say the team hadn't been doing any serious training in the first two weeks. Apparently this was a deliberate risk because he wants them fresh for the rest of the season and thought three weeks of drills and training would be counter productive in the long term. So they got a week off for personal leave, a week doing rock climbing, training with the England hand ball team and such and then a normal week's training.

1908 (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 10:55
Defences nowadays are nearly always on top.
That's why you need player who can unlock them.
Get Hopper back on the bench for the Saracens game.

Rocker (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 13:02
I agree 1908.

The Kid (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 13:14
Quote:

The gamble there is though that if we put hopper on as a game breaker, our defence is more liable to be unlocked until he gets an offseason spent entirely tackling big mo at full pelt until he gets him down every time.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 13:40
I think for the Sarries game we should do the opposite. Don't even bother trying to unlock their defence, just make sure we are defensively solid and kick the ball back at them.

Given that they don't have a clue what to do with ball in hand and will kick it back to us. It then just comes down to who is a better kicker out of hand and from the tee, Hodgson, or Evans...............my money's on Evans.

It will make for a boring match, but there's no point playing rugby against Sarries, they will just soak up the pressure and kill you on turnovers.

26 March, 2012 13:43
I think it would help to have an open and exciting game that we really need to score first.

Adventure before Dementia!

JB1 (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 13:59
Agreed! Need to switch I from the start!

Would prefer to take the game to them, especially of weather is good! Heavy defensive work is going to take its toll even more if similar to Sat.

Would like to see Chisholm, Hopper on bench. Options to hangs it up as well as keep pace on the ball will be important.

kakshaks (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 14:08
Quote:
Stooperman
I think for the Sarries game we should do the opposite. Don't even bother trying to unlock their defence, just make sure we are defensively solid and kick the ball back at them.
Given that they don't have a clue what to do with ball in hand and will kick it back to us. It then just comes down to who is a better kicker out of hand and from the tee, Hodgson, or Evans...............my money's on Evans.

It will make for a boring match, but there's no point playing rugby against Sarries, they will just soak up the pressure and kill you on turnovers.
So that will be the same team that dont have a clue who scored 5 tries at Sale on Friday and the same Hodgson who is currently a 95% kicker against Evans who made Cuthbert look good on Saturday. smiling smiley

poorfour (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 14:11
Quote:

I know you have a soft spot for Hopper, 1908, but Lowe looked very close to his best on Saturday and played a part in most of Quins' breaks - that not much came of them was more down to a lack of support than anything else.

As for Wem-ber-lee, I think COS will be stepping up the intensity a lot, and Sarries could be without their first choice flankers, if other messageboards are to be believed. Add in Chris Robshaw and some nice weather and I think it could be a closer game than we had at Christmas.

But which would folks prefer? A win over Sarries or a win over Toulon? Do we have the squad and the motivation to do both?

Nicksb (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 14:14
We don't have the squad or the motivation to do either.

Mr_B (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 14:17
Defence, Defence, Defence and Defence, a 3-0 win will do with THAT song not played once please!

Stooperman (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 14:21
Quote:
kakshaks
Quote:
Stooperman

So that will be the same team that dont have a clue who scored 5 tries at Sale on Friday and the same Hodgson who is currently a 95% kicker against Evans who made Cuthbert look good on Saturday. smiling smiley

Woohoo look what I caught under the bridge!

(Sm156)

Nicksb (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 14:27
Mr_B, I'd be very happy with a 3 - 0 win.

Rocker (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 14:42
Quote:
Nicksb
(Sm17) Bah Humbug.
I sincerely believe that you are wrong Nick, I hope that I am borne out by events, and I fully expect to win at least one of the 2 games.

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 14:50
Quote:
I fully expect to win at least one of the 2 games.

What's the other game?

BB

Rocker (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 15:05
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:

What's the other game?
I think Nick was referring to
Quote:
Poorfour
But which would folks prefer? A win over Sarries or a win over Toulon? Do we have the squad and the motivation to do both?

T-Bone (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 15:07
Surely farrell will be kicking anyway, and his stats are certainly better than Nev's recently. Nick's kicking over the last few games has been vry odd. Missing some absolute sitters then nailing some of the hardest ones. Saturday would be a great time for him to emerge from his mini slump

By my count sarries points difference is 11, compared to 112 for us, so if we were to lose by just a single point then top spot would come down to tries scored. Not sure who's scored more, but shows how close things are getting, even if odds of a one point loss are very slim

I'd have lowe over hopper every time. Lowe has been and can be a game changer for us just as much as hopper has been. unfortunately other teams are now aware of his threat so it's not as easy to catch them off guard.

Poorfour, what do you mean by "Sarries could be without their first choice flankers, if other messageboards are to be believed". Possible citings/injuries/other?

Nicksb (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 15:10
we've scored 41 tries, Sarries 29.

Heath Quinn (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 15:38
If we lose by a single point, our points difference will be +111 and Saffa's will be +112.

If we lose on Saturday, Saffa's will go top. Either on league points if we don't get a bonus point, or they do, or on points difference as there's will be better than ours and we will both have won 14 games.

We need to win or draw to stay top.

Rocker (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 15:42
Yes win or draw to stay top, and keep getting wins to keep staying top. It's a big match, I hope COS tactic of keeping the boys fresh works. They certainly looked a bit rusty on Saturday, but hopefully that has blown away the cobwebs and they will have a good week of training this week.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 16:18
Ah yes, sorry, was being a bit thick there and forgot that if we lose then not only does their points difference improve, but ours is reduced. Touch, pause, engage brain. A win it is then - keeps things nice and simple

The Kid (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 17:50
Quote:
Nicksb

Quins are a big game side. Munster away came out of nowhere. No one gave as a prayer. Ditto Stade in the Stade de France. This squad has done great things before. I (and many others, actually) find your lack of faith disturbing. One would think that you want us to lose...

Nicksb (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 18:14
Great wins for sure but look at our poor performance in big games against Sarries or Connacht this season.

We do tend to play better when there is no pressure on us.

RDB. (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 18:18
Quote:
poorfour
and Sarries could be without their first choice flankers,

There's no 'could be' about it. Most people would say our first choice flankers are Kelly Brown and Jacques Burger, both out for the rest of the season with long-term injuries.

Andy Saull also went off injured on Friday night and we await the results of a scan tomorrow. Sarries finished Friday night's demolition of Sale with George Kruis (normally second row) and Schalk Brits (hooker) as flankers.

I expect Saturday will see us playing Justin Melck and Will Fraser.

Hope this helps.

Heath Quinn (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 19:14
and Melk is very very lucky to be available....

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 19:19
Quote:
Rocker
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:

What's the other game?
I think Nick was referring to
Quote:
Poorfour

Thanks, Rocker. I missed that! smiling smiley

BB

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net