Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from GoogleQuins Official SiteDiamond Geezers Website

Coach Travel Details | Join Quinssa!
Next Coach: Next season
Tickets: Quins

www CAW

83'000 Crowd?
PINKWIN (IP Logged)
31 March, 2012 19:32
I don't know what wembley holds but from high up there were an awful lot of empty seats.
Stewards enquiry please.... very suspicious

GO GO UGO

PINKWIN

Re: 83'000 Crowd?
Samquin (IP Logged)
31 March, 2012 19:36
I think it is either 90,000 or 92,000. Wierd that the game was billed as sold out.

PINKWIN (IP Logged)
31 March, 2012 19:38
A lot of free tickets given away... and I guess didn't turn up.

GO GO UGO

PINKWIN

ikdrf (IP Logged)
31 March, 2012 20:06
83,500, my a**e

I'm really annoyed that they are claiming this as a record crowd. Just because they 'shifted' that amount of tickets doesn't mean they can claim a record as gospel.

I went today because it was Quins. The stadium had little atmosphere and the paper aeroplanes were flying around the lower tier within 20 minutes.I estimated 5000 genuine Quins fans. 10000 Sarries and 50000 not sure why they were there.The crowd was probably around 70000.

I won't go again, it's not a rugby ground or crowd. At least at Vicarage Road you know it's a rugby gathering.

All this made me proud to be a Quin. I started supporting two years ago and my first match was Sarries at Wembley. I took a along my local Green councillor today- she was hooked and wearing my Quins scarf by the end of the game.I'll take each anniversary as opportunity to introduce someone new I think!

But not at Wembley.

I'm still pinching myself that we did it.

HSBC (IP Logged)
31 March, 2012 20:25
Think it should be number who paid bet that was less than 60,000

TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
31 March, 2012 20:26
Yes when you give the tickets away, a good proportion won't bother to turn up, having invested nothing in the event. Glad I abstained.

Well done on the convert ikdrf!!

Scamble (IP Logged)
31 March, 2012 20:40
That was never a full house. At least at the BG the majority cheer for quins. Even when they tried to get the crowd going today, there was barely more than a ripple of applause

woe quin (IP Logged)
31 March, 2012 20:46
My first new Wembley visit - It's a very impressive stadium, but not great for rugby

- def only about 65-70k there - but that's still a bleedin' lot

- I was up in the Gods, but it was eerily quiet

- Very little singing / chanting ( apart from Quins) as most 80%+ were not regulars

- McFly etc worked quite well I thought

- you hard to work hard to find anything but lager confused smiley

- Happy hour 3.50 a pint - are you sure that doesn't break Trade Descriptions Act?

But having said that , full marks to Sarries for marketing - can only be a good thing to bring in so many families / kids to watch rugby..... and look on bright side ...
after today there's probably 60,000 new Quins fans!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/03/2012 21:13 by woe quin.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
31 March, 2012 21:11
I think that Wembley's full capacity is 90k. There's a batch of seats that are reserved for all sporting events (Club Wembley?)so there's almost never going to be a true "sell-out" for a non-Wendyball game.

Having been to Wembley for the game two years back. I thought the stadium itself put Twickenham to shame (much nicer inside, plenty of facilities, and a lot more modern than the concrete doughnut that is HQ. That said, the atmosphere in HQ is far better than Wembers (old or new).

poorfour (IP Logged)
31 March, 2012 21:23
Quote:
woe quin
- Happy hour 3.50 a pint
It also only lasted 20 minutes. And 10 minutes after that they closed up the stadium and told everyone to leave.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
31 March, 2012 21:26
The 90k figure is the number of tkts sold and yes given away (Aviva were doing a promo) as well as those gifted to schools. There was of course a few thousand to Sarries season ticket holders as it was a home game. The 83k+ figure on the large screen towards the end of the second half was the number through the electronic turnstiles. Clear?
You deserved the win btw.

woe quin (IP Logged)
31 March, 2012 21:26
Quote:
poorfour
Quote:
woe quin
- Happy hour 3.50 a pint
It also only lasted 20 minutes. And 10 minutes after that they closed up the stadium and told everyone to leave.

So more an "Unhappy 20 minutes" then?

The Prof (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 00:02
From Aviva:

Just to clarify the official attendance for today's Aviva Premiership match between Saracens and Harlequins at Wembley was 83,761 and not 83,671, a new world record crowd for a club match.

BY the look of it a lot of people left after half time - perhaps they'd taken up the tickets just to see the music

Tigersfan1 (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 00:13
Have to say it looked, and sounded, a damp squib on TV for a billing as a "world record" or "sell-out" etc.

Puke-making when near the end the commentator said, "can Saracens get a late try against 13 men to win the game and send this crowd, well the vast majority, home happy" (paraphrased not quoted verbatim). It was blatant that the "vast majority" were there for curiosity not passion and certainly not Sarries fans!

But - good luck to Sarries for getting that many people through the turnstiles, hope some at least will want to pay to go and see another game.

Paul (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 00:58
I received an email from Saracens just as I got on the tube. It thanked me for my support! They obviously did not hear what I was shouting! "we don't need 15 players"

Go Quins Go! (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 08:12
The published number was confirmed by Jon Salinger as the number through the turnstiles so well one to Sarries for achieving that.

The problem I have is with the quality of the crowd at these events. The vast majority come because they want to see the entertainment, they have got a cheap/free day out for the kids, or they are just curious. Unfortunately none of the above add to the atmosphere which was mostly eerily quiet and only serves to rob the home team of home advantage.

I know a few of the curious might be converted to occasional or even regular match-goers but I feel even that is an argument that is far from won.

GQG.

DOK (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 08:32
Well I enjoyed the day. Crowd didn't worry me, it was what I expected having been to Big Games. Had to smile at the stupidity of handing out the paper airplane templates. Admired the skills of some of those plane makers, very good!

No Mexican Wave is a sign the rugby or the paper airplanes were keeping people engaged. Only discovered how many Sarries fans were around me at the Sarries try(the one preceded by a classic "in at the side" ignored by GG).

Could hear a bunch of Harlequins support near us.

If I'd had to pay full price for that I'd wonder whether to go back, but for 15? Good day out!

PickledPelican (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 09:25
Quote:
The Prof
From Aviva:
Just to clarify the official attendance for today's Aviva Premiership match between Saracens and Harlequins at Wembley was 83,761 and not 83,671, a new world record crowd for a club match.

BY the look of it a lot of people left after half time - perhaps they'd taken up the tickets just to see the music

Mrs Pelican works @ Wembley and was there yesterday.

Her understanding is that the attendance figure is made up from sold / free tickets issued ( as quins do at the stoop ).

Turnstile figures aren't published, as this may detract from the numbers.

Mrs P has told me that 000's were leaving the ground at half time and just after.

"The published number was confirmed by Jon Salinger as the number through the turnstiles so well one to Sarries for achieving that."
Already answered above.

quinshead (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 09:34
I saw some leave after a few minutes of the game. And as for the beer what a disgrace no bitter or guiness at any of the bars I tried very poor won't bother going again

Rocker (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 10:20
At the end of the day it just isn't set up for rugby and it showed. No way I'll bother going again, even if it was free. The only good thing about that "matchday experience" was the result..........
I promise not to complain (too much) about HQ in the future

Greene King (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 12:09
DOK touched on one point, paper airplanes!

If you put an A4 pice of card on every seat, secured with an elastic band at some point they are going to be used as a projectile.

I sat with my cousin and he reminded me of how Toronto FC learnt their lesson with giving away free seat cusions at their matches.

">Youtube clip

Legally drinking ale since 1986 & moaning like a good un with Q-GOMC since 2010.

Mrs H (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 08:43
Don't know how you guys feel about using Twickers for big premiership fixtures but I think the big stadia are not the way forward for club rugby.
Neutral fans whether they be families on a day out or just curious people inevitably dilute the atmosphere. You get also get some pretty patchy "entertainment" added to that, lack of quality beer,food. It's not good.
Stade Francais started this at the Stade de France with some of their league matches and after going to a couple will not do again even if it is Paris! French club rugby is usually more passionate than most rugby I've seen in my time but if it happens at Stade de France then where is it not going to happen?
Have to say that the HC finals are becoming the same as too many neutrals are there.
I can understand what Sarries are trying to do by building up more supporters but they won't do it by this route.Rather they will be more likely to have a greater following in a permanent better setting which will take awhile with their new stadium.

thomh (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 09:18
It's worth noting that we claimed the full 82,000 for the Big Game at Twickenham when there were clearly a few empty seats dotted about. Obviously Twickenham wasn't using the same electronic turnstile technology so that was the only option, but the Saracens number is at least the actual attendance rather than tickets sold.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 09:23
I'm not sure the atmosphere was any worse than most of the big Games. Even though we apparently sold every ticket and didn't give any away, we still seel them for 10 or 5 for children, so still plenty of fairly uninterested people.

The atmosphere was pretty muted but frankly I really don;t care as we won'

Good on Sarries for putting it on and trying to grow their support.

Quin Kong (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 10:28
Quote:
T-Bone
I'm not sure the atmosphere was any worse than most of the big Games. Even though we apparently sold every ticket and didn't give any away, we still seel them for 10 or 5 for children, so still plenty of fairly uninterested people.
The atmosphere was pretty muted but frankly I really don;t care as we won'

Good on Sarries for putting it on and growing our support.

There, fixed that for you! (Sm1)

QUIN KONG

T-Bone (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 10:44
QK - ha, fair point. I know a few who went a neutrals and left at least claiming to be Quins fans

Stelios (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 12:29
Couple of things to remember here:

1. It was an AWAY fixture for us
2. These things are done to try and attract more people to the game/club

I was sat up in the Gods and have to agree it was quite quiet up there, however I've been to all of our Big Games and they have been just as quiet and lacking atmosphere, so I don't think we should have any gripes about that!! Must admit though, the view was pretty good.

I don't understand why people say that it's not set up for Rugby...it's a big venue, with a grass pitch in the middle and some posts...maybe someone can enlighten me as to what this means? Just because someone's favourite tipple was not available, does it really spoil the day that much?

I'm sure there's plenty of people who didn't enjoy Quins Big Game matchday experience, even our own supporters, who I'm sure commented on their opinions at the time, so I can't see how different this day was.

Overall an enjoyable day for me and getting back on the train wasn't nearly as painful as Twickenham on these big match days. Well done to the police and those involved in staggering people into the station in an orderly fashion!

The team were fantastic and our defences held firm. What a brilliant result!!!

One thing we need to think about for out next Big Game - we need to start upping our game in the pre-match entertainment area - don't think X-Factor contestants are going to cut it in December!

HSBC (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 12:38
Stelios

What you have to understand is that there are narrow minded people who write on this board who think that Soccer is to be despised and that because it is despised Wembley is awful. In my opinion the only downside to wembley is the price of food and drink, but HQ isnt much better.

Squirrel Nutquin (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 12:41
What revenue for Sarries? Did I read 200,000 mentioned somewhere? Please correct me if I am totally wrong!

Edward (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 12:43
Quote:
Stelios
One thing we need to think about for out next Big Game - we need to start upping our game in the pre-match entertainment area - don't think X-Factor contestants are going to cut it in December!

You'd be surprised, my mrs made me come all the way down from Northampton to see the x-factor people at BG4. I accquired free tickets from LV but I guess they paid you guys for them.

Nemoquin (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 13:12
The Times suggests a 200,000 profit. It also has Sarries suggesting that they always play us at Wembley and they always play in the Big Game.

BradWeb UK (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 15:33
I estimated between 70 and 75,000. No real atmosphere and the Happy Hour was laughable. 3.50 for a pint...you mean like in a normal pub? An hour? More like 20 minutes! None of the stewards seemed to know anything about it let alone where it was taking place.

Other than that it was a great win and for someone who only has to go four stops on the Jubiliee Line, it was no hassle getting there.

Giraffe Quin (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 16:16
I agree with a lot of the comments on here and in general terms really do not enjoy the big stadium atmosphere.

I am a big Quins fan and a big Spurs fan and this weekend I attended both teams games.

There was no comparison in atmosphere and the main reason was the size of the stadium, the proximity to the pitch and the passion of all of the fans.

Both games were entertaining but I enjoyed the White Hart Lane experience much more.

I also love the Stoop on big match days and can just imagine the atmosphere that would have been created if Saturdays game had been played with identical outcome etc.. at the Stoop.

Wembley itself is a shocking, soulless and passionless place.The staff are hopeless, the bars and food awful and the entire experience depressing.

Heading back to the FA Cup Semi Final v Chelsea in 2 weeks which will be different again.

For me the perfect size Stadium for Rugby would be a 40,000 capacity filled to the brim with passionate and knowledgable fans, ample beer and good quality food.

The Rugby experience is different but equal to football when played in the right location with other like minded individuals but just getting 80,000 people through the door is not good enough, we need to create a true Rugby experience but on Saturday it felt like an exhibition match in the first half although it certainly picked up after that.

primavesi (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 18:15
90k tickets were sold/given out. 83k was the bums on seats.

However, if you are still suspicious then click on the below link and get counting...(Sm120)

[tag.huggity.com]

Heath Quinn (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 18:30
Took me a while, but the official figure is 7 out.

HSBC (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 21:50
There was no way 90k were issued, when there are a lot of empty seats together it gives that away, and there were a lot of areas where that applied. And when the Sarries guy was interviewed on 5 live before the game he said a crowd of 83,000 was expected.

kevin (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 22:00
If ever there was a thread about nowt, this is it.

Heath Quinn (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 07:03
No, the one about the club tie was about less than this.

Squirrel Nutquin (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 08:37
Lots of the crowd not watching the Rugby, but hey! what's new at Wembley and Twickenham HQ matches?

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 13:13
Quote:
Squirrel Nutquin
Lots of the crowd not watching the Rugby, but hey! what's new at Wembley and Twickenham HQ matches?

Or matches at the Stoop, judging by many comments on here.

BB

NorthernMonkee (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 22:11
I've got to admit that around me there was no atmosphere either.

I was in the Gods too, and if it wasn't for me & 6 Quins about 10 rows in front, I don't think I'd have heard anything until about 60minutes when there was Quins fans in the background. I just assumed it was the Quinssa guys doing what they do so well. smiling smiley

The people all around me were families with young kids (I assume there for McFly). Most of the kids got bored, but there were one or two who genuinely seemed to focus on rugby and the game might have had some new fans there.

In terms of empty spaces, has anyone heard of Tag Huggity? Aviva have done something where by you can see the 83,761 fans and the tons of empty seats surrounding people.

Fursty (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 22:20
Looking at that picutre there is no way the ground is 93% full.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net