Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from GoogleQuins Official SiteDiamond Geezers Website

Coach Travel Details | Join Quinssa!
Next Coach: Next season
Tickets: Quins

www CAW

JP Doyle
The Prof (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 08:43
I thought he had a good game - very sharp at the breakdown but that is good for our fast paced game.

As I said elsewhere he could have pinged the Wasps front row at almost every scrum if he'd wanted

Re: JP Doyle
DOK (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 08:56
I said elsewhere that I like the cut of his jib! His style of reffing seems sympathetic to how we play, but I've seen him ref other teams matches, and still been impressed with him. One to watch I think.

woe quin (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 09:08
The ref always has a good game when we win (Sm128)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2012 09:16 by woe quin.

The Prof (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 09:12
I thoroughly disagree woequin. We've seen some rubbish refereeing this season and still won

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 09:24
I agree with woequin, but let's see how popular Doyle is when he refs us and we lose.

But I do think he is very good at the moment.

woe quin (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 09:30
Prof - i do agree that Doyle's reffing was unobtrusive and the game was more enjoyable for that.

When Quins are on top , particularly in the forwards as was the case yesterday , we will concede less pens and the ref will incur less of our ire as a result

Fursty (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 09:38
I thought he had a good game too, however unsurprisingly theres a few on the Wasps board who would disagree.

1988JPCF (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 09:59
The best ref in the league IMHO ...he let's the game flow and the major difference is he doesn't want to be star of the show.
Anyone have any idea who is ref next sat ? Please don't let it begin with a W

Sketchley (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 10:20
Having watched the game back, I'd agree he let the game flow. But he could've played advantage a few times and still done that particularly at the scrum. Overall though no complaints, he can come back!

raedarius (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 10:22
Quote:
1988JPCF
The best ref in the league IMHO ...he let's the game flow and the major difference is he doesn't want to be star of the show.
Anyone have any idea who is ref next sat ? Please don't let it begin with a W

Or begin with Andrew Sma...

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 10:56
I can't stand Andrew Smatherington-Fotherington either!

Scrums aside, Doyle was fine. His ARs need some practice on working out where a ball's gone into touch though!

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

claire_m (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 11:12
He also had no grasp of off-side, and had he done, Wasps would have been pinged numerous times, so they can't be too unhappy with his performance.

I was saying after the game that it must be frustrating for the players - yesterday they had to roll away immediately but could be off-side all day. Another week, the opposite is true. I wish there was a bit more consistency and that refs picked up the same things week in, week out...

Heath Quinn (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 11:19
Thought he was very poor for the first 20 minutes, then he seemed to realises that Wasps were as weak as they looked.

Having said that, he might have been giving both teams a chance, rather than having preconceptions.

Samquin (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 13:37
I thought overall he had a good game.

Arlecchino (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 16:55
Wasps board slating him... My comment on there is that we both see what we want to see. I was incensed at high tackles he missed and taking man out off the ball, Pests similarly incensed.

At the start of the match I said to Mrs Arlecchino that I like him because he lets the game flow. On balance I have not changed that view.

Nunquam Dormio

Monte (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 17:01
V interesting that Joe Gray said yesterday that JK had been spending time with refs going through videos on JJ and was the reason he was not having so many problems with his bind!

HSBC (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 19:23
His reffing style suits us, others don't, simple as that.

mum on the run (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 19:29
Best ref this season!?

SussexMightyQuin (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 19:31
Hard to fault him again tonight

Heath Quinn (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 19:50
A couple of scrum penalties he's got wrong. Could be the difference.

DOK (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 20:25
He's not looking so good in the second half. Dodgy yellow card. More scrum penalties missed for Falcons. Sarries lie over that ball like a carpet.

mum on the run (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 20:31
Good call JP.

Heath Quinn (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 20:39
His refereeing of the scrum will make him the most popular man in High Wycombe tonight.

Season defining moments decided on a single refs interpretation?

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 20:45
He penalised Gill when the tighthead was bound almost on his elbow! No wonder Gill folded in.

Heath Quinn (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 20:47
Surely you mean the flanker was bound on him, and he penalised Gill for throwing punches.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 20:49
It was before that.

Heath Quinn (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 20:59
I was referring to the three times that Stevens imploded, so Newcastle surged forward on his side. Each time he pinged Newcastle for deliberate wheel, which seemed strange as how could Newcastle deliberately make Stevens run backwards?

Change those and the game is 6 - 6 going into the last ten minutes.

Convex Hull (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 21:23
Quote:
DOK
He's not looking so good in the second half. Dodgy yellow card. More scrum penalties missed for Falcons. Sarries lie over that ball like a carpet.

A Quin accusing Sarries of cheating. What a short memory you have.

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

Heath Quinn (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 21:28
Of course, how silly of us. Saffas never do anything wrong and any ref who ever gives a single penalty against them must be a cheat.

(Sm16)

raedarius (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 21:31
Quote:
Convex Hull
Quote:
DOK

A Quin accusing Sarries of cheating. What a short memory you have.

Blimey. I genuinely thought you were above that sort of thing Convex. Live and learn...

DOK (IP Logged)
20 April, 2012 22:15
Where's the accusation of cheating?

LUMP 03 (IP Logged)
21 April, 2012 07:57
DOK - Exactly. Falcons were IMO pretty competative in the scrum and a couple of the decisions were to be fair - debatable. Do not think anyone was cheating. I have debated this before, when your oppo prop folds and is in retreat you automatically get a wheel. The ref can then interpret this as a whip deliberately by your pack. The alternative is to stay straight and drive paralel with the touchline and thus you need to release your bind on the oppo prop and will be pinged for that infringement.

To be fair I do think Doyle had a generally very good game, just not sure he got all the scrum calls correct - but then which ref ever does.

ChrisR (IP Logged)
21 April, 2012 08:05
Can't we balance the scrum penalties with the exceptionally dodgy yellow we received and had to play 10 minutes with 14 men?

LUMP 03 (IP Logged)
21 April, 2012 08:09
ChrisR - you could argue that, but from what was heard on the mike, it was less a card for that specific tackle rather Doyle summed it up by saying it was the third continuous infringement relating to a penalty worthy tackle event, either early or late hit. Letter of the law it was a pen, refs warnings preceeding it made it a yellow.

Sounds a bit harsh on Melk but he had warned the team.

Heath Quinn (IP Logged)
21 April, 2012 08:14
Chris R, you could argue that, but I think that points on the board had a much bigger impact on the game than the yellow card. Both teams were only using 10 players anyway, so the loss of one didn't really make much difference.

DOK (IP Logged)
21 April, 2012 09:32
Hey - in my "cheating" accusation, even I said the yellow card was dodgy! Bloke just on the field, not quite up with speed of play, makes a fairly innocuous infringement and is off the pitch! I know what Doyle was thinking but he should have waited for the fourth event!

raedarius (IP Logged)
21 April, 2012 10:22
My recollection of the sequence of events isn't 100%. Was the yellow card before or after Doyle directed both captains to talk to their teams about indiscipline, and Borthwick walked off to take up position for the Newcastle penalty without speaking to his players?

Camquin (IP Logged)
21 April, 2012 11:26
Law 10.3 clearly state that three offences by a single player is repeated infringement and attracts a yellow.

For a team repeatedly infringing the ref is told to be strict but no number is given.

The ref is meant to warn the side that the next offence of that type will be yellow. If they offend again after a yellow the next offender should see red.

I cannot remember if JP did warn them after the second late tackle - at that level he should not need to give a lecture, a simple "no more" should make it clear.

Camquin

sarriesfan (IP Logged)
21 April, 2012 12:33
I actually thought the touch judge had some involvement in the decision. If Melck had not pulled out of the tackle then i think it could have been potentially very dangerous so i have no problems with the yellow card.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net