rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

New Signing
Rugby101 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 12:06
[www.quins.co.uk]

Ben Botica, a highly rated, New Zealand back has signed a two year contract with Harlequins and will join the club for the start of the 2012-13 season. Ben is a United Kingdom passport holder and qualifies as a local player.
The 22-year-old who joins the London club from North Harbour, is comfortable playing at centre or fly half. He is the son of the former New Zealand All Black and Wigan Warriors rugby league great, Frano Botica.

Ben made his senior debut for North Harbour against Southland in the Air New Zealand Cup in August 2009. He became a regular in last year's starting XV having earned promotion from his local club, North Shore,with performances that included a sequence of 32 goal kicks without a miss in league matches.

Since originally signing for Harlequins in October last, and having just missed out on selection for the Auckland Blues Super 15 squad, Ben decided to play the remainder of the current season in Perigueux in France with the local club, refreshing the language skills learned as a child when his father played in the French league.

Born in Takapuna in New Zealand's North Island, Botica has represented the country at Schoolboy level.

Announcing the signing today (17th April), Conor O'Shea, Harlequins Director of Rugby said, "We rate Ben very highly and are confident that he will have an instant impact at the club, his positional versatility is attractive and the fact that he is a reliable goal kicker is a bonus. We are associated with a certain style of attacking rugby and our recruitment of Ben is specifically related to our ability to play that style. We're looking forward to him joining us next season."
Commenting on his move Ben Botica said, "I am excited about linking up with Harlequins in July. Playing in the Aviva Premiership and Heineken Cup will be a new challenge and I expect that I will have some adjustments to make to my playing style. I've watched Harlequins play over recent seasons and it is a team and style of rugby that I'm looking forward to being part of."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/04/2012 12:14 by Nicksb.

Re: New Signing
ChiddQuin (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 12:18
Interesting. Will he eventually become NEv's replacement?

JTD (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 12:26
You would think so, wouldn't you? NEv is getting older and given the knocks he's had over the past 2 years, I can't see us getting a full season out of him...probably less than this year as the injuries catch up. At 32, I can see him retiring after next season.

raedarius (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 12:28
I like the way the statement includes that he is a UK passport holder. Deals with all of those residency/qualification arguments/discussions before they arise.

Nunquam Dormio (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 12:32
Interesting that he signed October 2010. Suggests that Conor etal have good foresight. Whilst I agree with the comments above it does tend to suggest that Rory's period of grace to grow into the 10 shirt was up some time ago. Shame for Rory but from the Club and Supporters point of view there needs to be the calibre on the bench to substitute for NEv without impairing chances of success.

Hope the kicking stat continues wearing a quarter shirt.

arfa (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 12:39
If he is a chip off the old block he could be an inspired signing.
I'll be watching with interest

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 12:41
Interesting alternative point of view regarding Rory Clegg in the Tigers Match preview ...
.... linking well with Rory Clegg, who has matured wonderfully well in putting his travails from the kicking tee in the past, he now looks very calm and accomplished, also showing some top class game management against Wasps. Of course hes not yet in the same class as one of the best fly-halves in the Premiership; Nick Evans but these days Quins look secure with Clegg in control but Im still sure Tigers would prefer to see Clegg in the #10 shirt next weekend.

ChiddQuin (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 12:42
Quins Head

He signed October 2011 not 2010! A typo by you I suspect.

17 April, 2012 12:44
Well spotted. I must be living in the past. A farthing for you - No that could be worth a fortune. Ta ever so

The Prof (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 12:52
Welcome to Quins Ben

17 April, 2012 13:03
Yes, how very welcome! Shame you weren't able to come across from France earlier as you may have been up for a serious Medal this year....still, them's the breaks, eh?

I wonder how long before someone starts up the Quins are London Kiwis what with the involvement of Fitzpatrick, Mehrtens, NEv, Botica et al....?

Oh, think I just did, sorry....(Sm105)

The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry God for Harry! England and Saint George

The Prof (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 13:08

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 13:08
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
Interesting alternative point of view regarding Rory Clegg in the Tigers Match preview ...
.... linking well with Rory Clegg, who has matured wonderfully well in putting his travails from the kicking tee in the past, he now looks very calm and accomplished, also showing some top class game management against Wasps. Of course hes not yet in the same class as one of the best fly-halves in the Premiership; Nick Evans but these days Quins look secure with Clegg in control but Im still sure Tigers would prefer to see Clegg in the #10 shirt next weekend.

Spot the typo: Surely they meant to say "one of the best fly-halves in the WORLD" grinning smiley

17 April, 2012 13:37
[rugby-transfers.blogspot.co.uk]

The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry God for Harry! England and Saint George

17 April, 2012 14:25
Quote:
deadlyfrom5yardsout
http://rugby-transfers.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/fly-half-ben-botica-set-to-sign-for.html

Pretty severe blog post, that... Damning with faint praise?

"Last one in's an Offiziere. No offence Sir."

Heath Quinn (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 14:26

Rugby101 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 14:57
great run but what a tackle from slade!

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 15:05
Quote:

Rubbish. I'd've finished that.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 15:21
Quote:
Steeevo
Quote:
deadlyfrom5yardsout
http://rugby-transfers.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/fly-half-ben-botica-set-to-sign-for.html

Pretty severe blog post, that... Damning with faint praise?

If you read the main site they're fairly scathing about most signings!

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

The Kid (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 15:41
Quote:
ChiddQuin

I doubt it. I think he's an upgrade on Benja who can back up Rory. That video looks interesting. He reminds me of Danny Care with ball in hand.

17 April, 2012 16:01
First training session. Put the ball in the other hand to allow the fend. Looked confident in good company. Most Welcome Ben

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 16:09
Re: NEV's replacement/Clegg - I think by mentioning Botica's versatility and his goal kicking being a bonus I suspect that he's not exactly being considered as just a 10, so I expect Rory's development will continue.

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 16:21
re:Nev's Replacement -

Not likely - if he can't make a super rugby squad, why would he be able to fill Nicks boots - Surely here as the utility bench spot that urda has.

Hopefully he can bring a little extra and push for first XV place, but not likely to overtake Clegg, unless he has been very underrated at home!

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 16:42
Quote:
The Kid
Quote:
ChiddQuin

I doubt it. I think he's an upgrade on Benja who can back up Rory. That video looks interesting. He reminds me of Danny Care with ball in hand.

It's because his little legs go very very fast and he doesn't seem to be moving that quickly across the ground!

Danny running is the definition of "scamper"

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 17:32
Quote:
Quins Head
First training session. Put the ball in the other hand to allow the fend. Looked confident in good company. Most Welcome Ben

I had the same thought. He could have tried to fend, or planted as soon as he reached the line.

But you're right - he didn't look out of place in Super rugby, and there are a lot of players in the Prem who probably wouldn't make that grade.

quinshead (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 18:32
Nev do you reLy think Clegg would make a DI
Upper 15 Squad?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net