Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from GoogleQuins Official SiteDiamond Geezers Website

Coach Travel Details | Join Quinssa!
Next Coach: Next season
Tickets: Quins

www CAW

O/T: Olympic Security
DOK (IP Logged)
14 July, 2012 11:53
I love the way cartoon writers can sum up a situation so perfectly! From the DT!

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02276/140712-MATT-web_2276503a.jpg

Re: O/T: Olympic Security
MarkinLondon (IP Logged)
15 July, 2012 10:35
If I'm running a big project (and the ones I run are nowhere near the 300 million that G4S are getting) then I'll probably have a good idea whether it's on track to deliver to specifications at least a couple of months before the 'go to market' date.

So for G4S to 'fess up A FORTNIGHT before the games kick off is extraordinarily lax.

I imagine the conversation in their boardroom three months ago went something like -

'We're never going to be ready on time'
'If we tell them now we could lose the whole contract'
'How about leaving it until it's too late, then they've have to take panic measures like calling in the army'
'Ok, just as long as we don't lose too much of our payment'
'Don't worry - I went to school with someone high up in the organising committee - a slap on the wrist and a token fine, and we'll in the clear'

So it came to pass! The army get to bale them out - don't worry about soldiers cancelled weddings and holidays.

And we, the taxpayer, pick up most of the bill.

Squirrel Nutquin (IP Logged)
15 July, 2012 19:37
Just HOW LONG have they had to prepare for this? Sensible answers please to Lord Coe, David Cameron and the Minister who will no doubt be called to a meeting as being responsible...

Nicksb (IP Logged)
15 July, 2012 20:04
Apparently problems were flagged up 10 months ago. GS4 were also the cheapest bid by a considerable margin.

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
16 July, 2012 09:26
Quote:
GS4 were also the cheapest bid by a considerable margin.

That should have been enough to discount the bid immediately.

BB

Nicksb (IP Logged)
16 July, 2012 09:49
25% cheaper. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys! And not even enough in this case.

Rocker (IP Logged)
16 July, 2012 10:00
This whole Olymipcs debacle is a complete shower. I'm thoroughly pi$$ed off with it already and it hasn't even started! The Olympic lanes that are going to grid lock London, even well away from the venues, the daft amounts of money being poured into it and the spin being used to glorify it, even to the point of "brainwashing" my child at school.

16 July, 2012 10:21
Quote:
Nicksb
25% cheaper. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys! And not even enough in this case.

Sorry, couldn't resist ape-ing what you said there......

Adventure before Dementia!

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
16 July, 2012 10:27
Quote:
Rocker
This whole Olymipcs debacle is a complete shower. I'm thoroughly pi$$ed off with it already and it hasn't even started! The Olympic lanes that are going to grid lock London, even well away from the venues, the daft amounts of money being poured into it and the spin being used to glorify it, even to the point of "brainwashing" my child at school.

In what way? Just out of interest...

DOK (IP Logged)
16 July, 2012 10:56
I can't even watch the BBC without seeing endless adverts for the Olympics in the guise of news items.

My plan for the Olympics is to watch "Lost" from beginning to end and actually understand it this time. If I run out of that then I have every episode of the new Battlestar Galactica to watch.

16 July, 2012 11:11
My plan for the Olympics is to decamp to SW France. Isn't it interesting how, in true British style, we have the greatest show on earth coming to town and all we can do is take bets on what is going to go wrong next....

Rocker (IP Logged)
16 July, 2012 12:24
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Rocker

In what way? Just out of interest...

They seem to be pushing the Olympics thing very hard, they've closed one of the local playgrounds and turned it into a "pop up" mini Olympics, they've been talking all about the Olympics in class and seem to be hyping it up to the kids. Now it could just be my daughter's enthusiasm for anything and everything that she is told at school but she seems to be talking about it constantly.

TurndownthePA (IP Logged)
16 July, 2012 12:30
A cost comparison to the G4S situation is.... just imagine how the American guys must have felt when they were a the top of a rocket / space vehicle that was built by the company putting in the lowest tender?

The Olympics are not designed for the consumption of the population, but the host politicians & a chance to meet their celeb mates, IOC and their hangers on, plus tourists and visitors.

Still I worked on the Velodrome and got a few months work out of it...so happy for different reason....but didn't manage to get any tickets out of it (to be honest after attending the velodrome test event, 4 hours of them whizzing round waiting for the GB team was plenty).

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
16 July, 2012 12:53
DOK

Here you go - [
">www.youtube.com
]

Now you can do something more productive!

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
16 July, 2012 12:58
I hope that was a sensible post, QP! smiling smiley

BB

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
16 July, 2012 13:13
Yep, although it stands alone from the rest of them!

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
16 July, 2012 15:51
I have a close friend working for G4S as an HR Manager for their Olympic recruitment team. The only word to describe what I hear is shambolic. No wonder they cant process applications, they dont even have a proper database & the IT set up is archaic!! However as an Englishman I am proud that we have the Olympics in London & hope that things go well & without any serious incidents. I'll be following it closely & cheering on the cycling team in particular. Its a once in a lifetime event & we should all get behind it.

16 July, 2012 15:52
QP, Sorry, you've Lost me?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/07/2012 15:57 by deadlyfrom5yardsout.

DOK (IP Logged)
16 July, 2012 16:26

mabosa ritchie (IP Logged)
17 July, 2012 05:07
G4s are the lot who will be patrolling your streets soon if this govt has its way...

17 July, 2012 08:25
Bobby's In Security Helpout

True, but they will probably just re-employ all the redundant ex Police Officers at a cheaper rate .....call me cynical....

joebe (IP Logged)
17 July, 2012 12:20
Good to know that they still think they should be paid their 57M 'Management Fee'

DOK (IP Logged)
18 July, 2012 13:37
So THIS is where they spent the money...
[www.guardian.co.uk]

Blank436 (IP Logged)
18 July, 2012 14:14
Fiasco. I'm still unconvinced it needed antwhere near as much 'security' anyway. Stewards yes, anti-Terror professionals of course... But 27,000?

DazzaS (IP Logged)
18 July, 2012 14:17
The sun cartoon (someone at work had the paper) showed Batman as the new security officer! If only!!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net