Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Maurie Fa'asavalu signs for Oyonnax
jauzy19 (IP Logged)
03 April, 2014 21:37

Re: Maurie Fa'asavalu signs for Oyonnax
Mr_B (IP Logged)
03 April, 2014 21:55
I had hoped we'd give him another year at least. Shame, he's still a fantastic payer for us.

THE BIG EASY (IP Logged)
03 April, 2014 22:07
Quote:
Mr_B
I had hoped we'd give him another year at least. Shame, he's still a fantastic payer for us.

How much does he pay us?

ANDRE VOS/DAVID WILSON/NICK EVANS ARE HARLEQUIN LEGENDS

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
03 April, 2014 22:14
Good luck Mo!

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

akb1 (IP Logged)
03 April, 2014 22:18
All the best Mo,

brfc_quin (IP Logged)
03 April, 2014 22:22
A great signing for Oyonnax - he will be missed.

Good luck Mo!!!

TW Quin (IP Logged)
03 April, 2014 22:23
Super big hitting player for Quins - best wishes for the future Mo.

And are we now seeing a bit of a revamp for next season but to lose Mo Tom and Sam. Anyone else coming in?

brfc_quin (IP Logged)
03 April, 2014 23:10
Mo
Tom
Smith

versus Yarde

In terms of players signing I guess it might depend on how much (extra) the contract renewals cost us.

Babs (IP Logged)
03 April, 2014 23:43
No pacific islanders????

QuincyJones (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 00:27
Quote:
Babs
No pacific islanders????

Tikoirotuma?

Babs (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 06:44
Not since my GP changed my medication.

Rocker (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 06:57
Shame gives us a lot of go forward. A very useful player, I hope we've got someone else coming in otherwise we are putting too much faith in some very young players....

Stooperman (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 07:32
Good luck Mo and thanks for everything. Great player and a good bloke.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 08:03
I expect we will bring someone in. Not a big name but a squad player

Dave1 (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 08:09
Sad to see mo go.

Personally would like to see quality backrower come in. Easter is not getting any younger, and apart from Robshaw the rest are reletively inexperienced (Wallace maybe an exception but still very young).

brfc_quin (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 08:15
Although sad to see him go this is good news for Clifford but more importantly Trayford - who I think could really play his part next season

Stooperman (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 08:19
^^ BRFC

Agreed. I think Trayfoot's emergence is the reason we might not have felt the need to throw the chequebook at MO. I think Jo is good enough to fill Mo's shoes. With all the 8s we have coming through, I wonder if one of them (Chisholm maybe) could be converted to a back up 6.

ewellquin (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 08:19
Nooooooooooooo!

He's the one player that really gets us going forward and worries other teams.
Heres hoping COS has got someone lined up to replace him.

(Sm136)

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 08:22
Clifford said in an interview that he can play 8 or 6

poorfour (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 08:32
Quote:
Dave1
Sad to see mo go.
Personally would like to see quality backrower come in. Easter is not getting any younger, and apart from Robshaw the rest are reletively inexperienced (Wallace maybe an exception but still very young).

They're not that inexperienced. Wallace has had 3 seasons of regular starts. Trayfoot has had a bit less but is in his second season as a regular bench player. Clifford is very new, but has captained the U20s to a JWC and is currently playing England 7s (and apparently tearing up trees while doing so). None of them has looked out of place when they've come on.

I'd be nervous if all three of them had to start a crunch match, but as long as one of Robshaw and Easter are around and we have a season to develop Trayfoot and/or Clifford as Easter's successor, I think we're in pretty good shape.

We also have other players dotted around who can play back row. Robson was always expected to have a long term future at 6 rather than 5 (though I'd like to see an extra lock join before we did that) and Ward plays 7.

We maybe need one more back rower - but if you compare where we were in 2011-12 (Robshaw, Easter, Mo, Guest, Wallace, York with Trayfoot in the academy. Mo and Easter as Internationals) with next season (Robshaw, Easter, Wallace, Trayfoot, Clifford, with a couple in the academy. Robshaw the only international but Wallace could join him) we are probably one light.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 08:35
Shame to see him go but not a surprise. I hope we get to see him again this season. Would be rubbish if his injury stops him playing for us again. Have we announced he's leaving yet? If not rather poor form from Oyannax, though I suppose they're in a different league so not quite the same thing.

To lose him and Tom at the same time is a real shame. I still wish we could have kept Tom, thouegh I understand why he;s going and wish them both all the best

Dave1 (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 08:37
Hence the word relatively and the extra comment about wallace!

You might be right, I just think the time will come where Easter will start to slow down. If we can afford it there is no harm in adding quality to the squad. I'm sure we could pick someone up from the super15 who may be out of contention for the WC now.

Just wanted to say that I am very excited about the talent we having coming through in that position, just feel it might be good to bridge a gap for 2 years or so.

SilverstoneQuin (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 08:42
Apologies if I've missed it elsewhere, but hasn't Trayfoot just had an operation (referenceed on Twitter)?

I'll miss Mo's explosive impact from the bench, but I do think we've got enough cover for this position from the other up and coming youngsters.

Best of luck Mo in France,and thanks for the memories of some really big hits.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 08:59
I think Twomey also played back row in the A League this season.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 09:37
I think both Clifford and Trayfoot are sheer class, really high hopes for both of them. Presumably if Trayfoot is not fit for the start of next term we can get an injury replacement. Sad to see Mo go, he's been fantastic for us. Losing him and Tom in one go gives away a massive amount of experience in the back row.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 10:03
We have such class in the back row that Mo's departure was inevitable. It would be a bad thing if Trayfoot and Clifford weren't given real opportunities to develop next season. Both are real talents who are already good enough to make a big impact.

ianco (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 10:32
This hasn't been Mo's most influential season, he has been injured a bit and then he looked a bit unfit when he came back. He still does provide a lot of go forward as a second receiver which Quins have lacked this year. Trayfoot replaces Mo and Cliffored for Guest with young Chisholm next in the queue ready when Easter winds down. Maybe there is a case for a bit of extra cover in the backrow.

Harlespin (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 11:05
Got to be said he lost a lot of this season through injury and has not been the force he was, maybe age taking its toll.

This is the nice problem of having the likes of Wallace, Trayfoot and Clifford coming up through the academy. If they cant see their way to first team rugby we will lose them so it forces the management to make decisions about older players.If they are on the decline then they must make way.

Great player he will be missed but life moves on ...

Mr_B (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 11:56
Mo and Guesty out Clifford and Trayfoot in, as we have had to use them both in games anyway this year as injury coverage for Mo and Guest we must be looking at getting in at least one more as back up I would hope.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 12:13
We need another player who can put in a shift at 7. Robshaw should be away for a reasonable chunk of the season, leaving us reliant on just Wallace as a 7.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 12:24
Heinrich Brussow? Please?

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 12:29
How's he getting on these days? Seemed to drop off the radar a bit - injuries or just the change in emphasis? He would be unplayable in NH rugby, I'm amazed the Frogs haven't snapped him up yet.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 12:39
Quote:
Jammy Git
How's he getting on these days? Seemed to drop off the radar a bit - injuries or just the change in emphasis? He would be unplayable in NH rugby, I'm amazed the Frogs haven't snapped him up yet.

Playing in Japan, according to the web

The Eskimo (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 12:47
Apparently on the bench for the Cheetahs this week after reporting back from Japan. He'd be a great capture but can't see it.

marsho (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 12:50
sad loss has been a great value/inspired signing considering he was coming from league wilderness, was a key player in 2012...

Hope we bring someone else in of that international standard unfortunately the cliffords, matthews, merricks, trayfoots etc do NOT win you trophys at their age , in 2-3 years i have no doubt they will become top players and before I get shot down take a look at tigers, sarries, nhants, bath pack's and anyone left in the HC 1/4's..
we lose CR for a large majority of the season, easter may only have another year left, no mo or guest - suddenly those embarrassment of back row riches looks a little less so.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 13:28
I guess the flip side of that is we developed a title winning side by trusting in the youngsters at the time (Robson, Robshaw, Marler, Care, Brown, JTH, Lowe). In 2-3 years the guys you mentioned should indeed be quality, but only if they get the chance at a regular place.

marsho (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 15:35
100% JG I agree, what the concern is the short term years whilst they develop and the fact we must suppliment with decent experience players to keep up,

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 16:04
He's been a tremendous player for us, sad to see him go. He was just starting to look really dangerous again. He was unstoppable in his first season. Hope we can replace like for like, as injuries will require the strength in depth. Or are we going to be a development side for evermore???

Rocker (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 16:21
Quote:
QuinAlan
He's been a tremendous player for us, sad to see him go. He was just starting to look really dangerous again. He was unstoppable in his first season. Hope we can replace like for like, as injuries will require the strength in depth. Or are we going to be a development side for evermore???

This does worry me a little I must say. Either we are really bad at wage negotiation or we pay more than average, because we just don't have the squads that other sides manage to put out. I love that we develop our own players from the academy and onwards, but you do also need some experienced squad players too.

Fursty (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 17:18
Quote:
Rocker
Quote:
QuinAlan

This does worry me a little I must say. Either we are really bad at wage negotiation or we pay more than average, because we just don't have the squads that other sides manage to put out. I love that we develop our own players from the academy and onwards, but you do also need some experienced squad players too.

Or we stick to the cap where others may seek to bend/break it?

Stooperman (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 17:34
Quote:
Fursty
Quote:
Rocker
Quote:
QuinAlan

Or we stick to the cap where others may seek to bend/break it?

Looking at it fron the outside you'd have to say that having the England Captain, TH prop, scrum half and full back probably doesn't come cheap. Add to that one of the highest paid overseas players in the league, and a sprinkling of Saxons and you can see where the money goes. we have just signed an England winger and a quite expensive southern hemisphere winger/13 as well. One or two of our squad including PDJ, Kennedy and Ugo are probably on substantially more than their current market value too.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 17:51
True, although Nev is exempt from the cap

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 18:20
Losing JJ, Kohn, Guest, & now Fa'asavalu in 12 months is abig loss of beef & experience from the pack. Younsters are fantastic, but they can't do it all. Its a tad worrying, but Collier, Sinkler, Buchanan, Matthews, Merrick, Twomey, Trayfoot, Clifford, are such outstanding prospects. Just hope for better luck with injuries next term.

Grins (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 19:04
Where is Tom off to? Have missed this news.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 19:59
London Irish.

blakedownquin (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 21:08
Thank you Mo for the pleasure you have given us and your help in securing our first Premiership title .

quinshead (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 21:21
I know we have some tallent coming through but loosing Mo and Guest without replacing them with a top line flank forward is a huge risk

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
04 April, 2014 22:18
That's the gamble you take when you have someone with as much potential as Clifford.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
05 April, 2014 00:22
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Heinrich Brussow? Please?

We should sign Manu Tuilagi, he's got all the skills. Probably not the goundhog that Brussow is, but a much better all round player, and big enough not to get snotted several times a game.

Mo has been fantastic for Quins in his short time here. Good luck, Mo, and big thanks. thumbs down

Hellequin (IP Logged)
05 April, 2014 00:30
Pretty sure Quins have a solid 78 1st and 2nd choice for the next few years. No.6 We may be a bit short if Wallace is 1st Choice,not sure who the replacement would be.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
05 April, 2014 00:54
???
Trayfoot

Robshaw
Wallace

Easter
Clifford

We need another 6. Clifford may have torn up in the juniors, but he's unproven at senior level. think he'll be ok, but people have legitimately bought up his height. With Robshaw away for vast swathes of the season, any injuries really put us in trouble. I know these guys are mostly interchangable, and we have young James Chis to take up the slack, but I do worry. Guest was a Quin through and through - just hope we don't regret it.

marsho (IP Logged)
05 April, 2014 05:59
Let's hope with two señior back rowers moving on there is some ££££ freed up for a nice new signing...let's see what COS has up his sleeve because if not and anything happens to minty we are bang in trouble...

brfc_quin (IP Logged)
05 April, 2014 07:31
Agree - I would hope a 6 from the Championship is on the cards in the mould of Hopper / Ward

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
05 April, 2014 07:43
Quote:
brfc_quin
Agree - I would hope a 6 from the Championship is on the cards in the mould of Hopper / Ward

Or ITM/Currie Cup. I am sure there must be players out there in Russia, Georgia, USA etc.

ChequeredJersey (IP Logged)
05 April, 2014 09:39
Remember we are looking at America. Next Manoa would be a nice find smiling smiley

kevin (IP Logged)
05 April, 2014 18:40
Hope this Clifford chap lives up to some folks' expectations. The game is littered with lads that were great prospects and full of potential only to not quite reach the top of the game.

New Forest Quin (IP Logged)
05 April, 2014 20:10
Very disappointed to see Mo leave, but I think it was inevitable.

Mo is a "wrecking ball" of a player and I wonder how much longer his body can stand up to the hammering that it receives, particularly as he is approaching his mid 30s.

The question is, will COS bring in another similar player or stick with what we've got, my guess is the former but only if there is enough money left in the kitty.

Good luck to Mo and thank you for your incredible dedication to the cause.

The Quin Meister (IP Logged)
05 April, 2014 20:19
When COS arrived the first piece of transfer business I think he did was to sign Mo. It was an excellent signing, giving us real go forward ball. For me Big Mo was the final piece in the jigsaw before we started winning trophies. Thanks Mo. Always enjoyed watching you play for Quins.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
06 April, 2014 11:48
Quote:
kevin
Hope this Clifford chap lives up to some folks' expectations. The game is littered with lads that were great prospects and full of potential only to not quite reach the top of the game.

Oh, for sure. You never know. I do think he's one of the best prospects English rugby has had for a long time though.

RR: Wallace and Clifford can both play 6 (the former does it regularly these days). We do need another 7; we won't have Robshaw for large chunks of the season and that means only Wallace with experience of playing 7.

06 April, 2014 11:52
Wallace simply plays on the rhs of the scrum when he and Robshaw play together. I don't think the numbers on their backs make a scrap of difference.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
06 April, 2014 11:58
I'm not sure they do left and right actually. My recollection of last match was that Robshaw packed down on the openside exclusively.

Both players are excellent over the ball and with linking play, though, and we could use another of that ilk.

06 April, 2014 12:00
I didn't really see much of the SF game as I had to talk to a few friends all night, but Wallace was definitely still on the rhs against Irish.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
06 April, 2014 12:01
OK, fair enough.

Tooting (IP Logged)
07 April, 2014 17:54
Has this been confirmed by Quins?

At the very least his impact on the side over the past few years deserves an acknowledgement from the club.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net