www CAW

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
JTH in the dock for assault
Jammy Git (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 13:35
[www.theargus.co.uk]

Quote:
A RUGBY international will appear in court after an assault left two men with multiple fractures and broken teeth.
England’s Jordan Turner-Hall has been charged after the incident at Pryzm nightclub in West Street, Brighton, at about 3am on October 30 last year.

He played his junior rugby at Hove Rugby Football Club based in Shirley Drive, before signing a professional contract for Harlequins in 2006.

The talented Harlequins centre will appear in court alongside another defendant – James Fairhall – after two men were left with serious facial injuries.

The 21-year-old man suffered a fractured cheekbone and multiple fractures of his nose, while the 22-year-old suffered broken teeth and a cut lip.

The swear filter is quite annoying. You'll have to just imagine what I'd like to say about this.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Re: JTH in the dock for assault
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 13:37
So that's why theclub has been so tight-lipped. What a scumbag.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 13:42
Quote:
RodneyRegis

Got all the facts to make such a judgement have you Rodders?

Also not quite sure how the Argus thinks this is hampering England's world cup preparations

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 13:50
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
RodneyRegis

Got all the facts to make such a judgement have you Rodders?

Also not quite sure how the Argus thinks this is hampering England's world cup preparations

Yes.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 13:54
Any sort of scandal increases the media pressure

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 13:58
At the moment all we know is that he's been charged & will appear in court. That does not mean he is guilty, nor does it mean he is innocent. We will find out the court's opinion in due course. It's not so long ago that Ollie L-H was in court for a similar charge, but was found not-guilty. Until then, I would suggest, Rodney, that you are speculating at the least.

As for the Argus tying this to the RWC preparations, it's just sloppy journalism. They see a player who has played for England in the past and make 2+2=56...

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 14:04
At least he was fit for a tear up (Allegedly)

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 14:26
Might just have run into the guys... he's good at that

InsertQuinsPunHere (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 14:32
The alleged assault was on 30th October 2014.

JTH was on the bench twice in the prem after that (21st and 28th Nov), and started in the LV= cup three times after that (2nd and 7th Nov, and 7th Feb).

That seems consistent with the club backing him, to me anyway... surely he would have been charged within a fortnight of the incident? And there are games he played after that; which I doubt would be the case if he told COS that he'd done it.

GuyMalibu (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 14:53
"talented"

Lewy135 (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 15:19
I see the usual suspects are displaying the level of intelligence that we have grown use to expect from them in the first two posts on this thread.

Personally I'd rather withhold judgement until after the case has been heard but that would mean saying nothing which never suits their agendas does it?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 15:52
Guy gets into a fight at a nightclub at 3am - probably a scummer. Whether he started it or not.

Hi there Lewy, how's it going?

dancing quin (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 16:11
He may have been defending himself for all we know. Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 16:16
Quote:
Lewy135
I see the usual suspects are displaying the level of intelligence that we have grown use to expect from them in the first two posts on this thread.
Personally I'd rather withhold judgement until after the case has been heard but that would mean saying nothing which never suits their agendas does it?

I quoted the article and then said I'd like to use a swearword in response to this but can't.

What's your problem?

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 16:52
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Guy gets into a fight at a nightclub at 3am - probably a scummer. Whether he started it or not.

What a stupid thing to say! And no, I don't want an argument.

Hellequin (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 17:00
Wait for the verdict before making a judgement. If found guilty is up to the employer to decide his fate same as in any other job.
Not a current or potential England international so no impact on World Cup but of a non story for the moment

Lewy135 (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 17:27
Quote:
Jammy Git
Quote:
Lewy135

I quoted the article and then said I'd like to use a swearword in response to this but can't.

What's your problem?

The problem, as others have noted, is entirely yours.

And as QP said to Pants Down Rodney I don't want an argument so I won't bother with your stupidity again on this thread.

PickledPelican (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 17:37
Seems to have taken a while to get to court, as he is such a terribly horrid chap!
Can't be so clear cut, as some of you have decided....?

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 17:50
Quote:
Lewy135
Quote:
Jammy Git
Quote:
Lewy135

What's your problem?

The problem, as others have noted, is entirely yours.

And as QP said to Pants Down Rodney I don't want an argument so I won't bother with your stupidity again on this thread.

What others? This is bizarre. Have you mistaken someone else's posts for mine?

Maidstone Quin (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 19:19
For all we know someone recognised him, commented on his ability and JTH did what a lot of people here would like to do. This is assuming no one was stupid enough to hit him first.

On the other hand, he could have taken his playing frustrations out on the first person to spill his pint.

I certainly won't be condemning him just yet, as the facts are few and far between.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 19:38
Quote:
PickledPelican
Seems to have taken a while to get to court, as he is such a terribly horrid chap!
Can't be so clear cut, as some of you have decided....?

Not sure what the time-frame of the trial demonstrates, other than the backlog in the court system.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 19:39
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
Quote:
RodneyRegis

What a stupid thing to say! And no, I don't want an argument.

Well, let's just assume you're correct then smiling smiley

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 22:23
That should always be your default position. smiling smiley

Croxton08 (IP Logged)
26 June, 2015 22:58
Please let's not argue over articles in Argus or Daily Mail! I hold what my 3 year old daughter says in higher regard! Kim Kardashian must have been on a plane and so they had spare column inches!

Mayor West (IP Logged)
27 June, 2015 10:29
As I discovered some years ago, if somebody starts something with you but comes off second best and then makes a complaint to the police its you who gets arrested, questioned and taken to court if it gets that far.

27 June, 2015 16:39
I have seen him out and about drinking a few times in Brighton. Everyone deserves a night out. Hopefully he's innocent.

ianco (IP Logged)
27 June, 2015 18:36
They are very serious charges. If he is found guilty he will probably go to prison.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
27 June, 2015 19:29
Is there a porridge dispensation under the salary cap as well??

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
27 June, 2015 22:32
Quote:
Mayor West
As I discovered some years ago, if somebody starts something with you but comes off second best and then makes a complaint to the police its you who gets arrested, questioned and taken to court if it gets that far.

All the more reason to restrain them rather than fracturing bones, especially if you make a living out of being a big strong boy. The justice system tends to take a dim view of people in that sort of position doing physical damage to others, even if they have the nerve to comment on his ability. Even if it's what the rest of us would do (and I dispute that strongly).

And I don't quite understand how you consider any part of your anecdote surprising. Or do you think that the other guy starting it should give you immunity for whatever damage you inflict?

T-Bone (IP Logged)
27 June, 2015 22:53
Reasonable self defence entirely possible. Could have been as little as one punch in genuine self defence. Who knows

1908 (IP Logged)
27 June, 2015 23:16
One person's nose knows by the sound of it...

Mayor West (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 09:30
Well Rodney, I suppose you would just stand and take any kind of attack on yourself without attempting to protect yourself at all. If somebody pushed you against a wall and started to punch you I guess you wouldn't try and get away or stop them.

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 09:57
Quote:
Mayor West
Well Rodney, I suppose you would just stand and take any kind of attack on yourself without attempting to protect yourself at all. If somebody pushed you against a wall and started to punch you I guess you wouldn't try and get away or stop them.

Rodney didn't say that.

You are allowed to use reasonable force to defend yourself - and no more.

Remember Tony Martin? He shot a burglar who was already running AWAY! In other words, he - the burglar - no longer represented a threat.

Link thing [en.wikipedia.org])

I fully understand that if you consider that someone has started against you and you are physically stronger, there is a strong temptation to give him a good hiding to teach him a lesson. However it is not legal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/06/2015 09:57 by Duncan Beaumont.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 10:11
Quote:
Mayor West

What? You expressed surprise that you were arrested when somebody went to the police because you gave them a kicking. What did you expect? "Hello sir, that's a nasty looking broken arm you have there. And is that a perforated lung I see?. Who did it?" "It was Mayor West." "Ok, who started it?"

col01 (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 10:11
Bit of both guys, I reckon.

It would be nice if we could all slip the punches and then restrain the individuals by holding them in a wrist lock until the police arrived.

Maybe you just haven't got the skills?

So generally it comes down to hitting him, with the aim of stopping him hitting you "self defence".

Reasonable force tends to be the luxury of people with hind sight.

The police have physical evidence, I suspect they have no choice but to prosecute. Can't blame them.

But if he started it, he made a judgement, however poor and should take a fair amount of responsibility. "After all nothing would have happened if he hadn't started it"

At least you're not permanently injured because the guy didn't stop when you went down...

It will be interesting to see what the judgement is...

Shhh! (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 10:32
Quote:
Lewy135

Evidently in some circumstances, according to you, a newspaper report is proof positive of guilt. Perhaps others here are simply displaying a degree of consistency and absence of hypocrisy that eludes you?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 11:02
Two whole days before our Sarries stalkers made it all about them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/06/2015 11:03 by RodneyRegis.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 12:29
Rodney, it wasn't me it was a colleague who was attacked. The assailant was not hit merely pushed back onto another wall whereupon I intervened. The assailant then discovered that he had cut his arm on the door he had burst through breaking a window. It all calmed down and we tended to his wound and off on his merry way he went. Next morning my colleague was arrested for beating up and throwing the assailant through the door. The police didn't believe us even though there was no evidence to support the assailants story.
Now do you understand how these "rugby player beats up innocent bystander" stories should be best judged after all the facts. Of course he may be guilty but let's wait before condemning him.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 13:35
In fairness, that story is in no way as similar as you initially led us to believe. Pushing someone away is a reasonable way to deal with an attack. Breaking the nose, cheekbones and teeth of your assailants does not. Of course he may not be guilty, not least because it may in fact the other defendant took it too far, but it doesn't sound like the story you describe.

If anything, your story seems more relevant to the Tuilagi case of "assaulting" two women police officers.

Lewy135 (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 14:25
Quote:
Shhh!
Quote:
Lewy135

Evidently in some circumstances, according to you, a newspaper report is proof positive of guilt. Perhaps others here are simply displaying a degree of consistency and absence of hypocrisy that eludes you?

You seem to be an idiot.

If you read what I posted and then read what you posted and then engage your brain you might just realise why i think you are an idiot.

If not ask a six year old to explain it to you.

johnlid (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 14:38
The level of childish petulance displayed on this board never ceases to amaze me

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 15:12
Quote:
johnlid
The level of childish petulance displayed on this board never ceases to amaze me

The way some people talk to each other is pathetic. I doubt most would talk to others face to face like this, so I don't see the need to do it from behind a keyboard. No need for it.

Lewy135 (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 15:50
Quote:
johnlid

The level of utter stupidity displayed on this board never ceases to amaze me.

johnlid (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 16:14
I think this makes my point

dancing quin (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 16:18
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Quote:
johnlid

The way some people talk to each other is pathetic. I doubt most would talk to others face to face like this, so I don't see the need to do it from behind a keyboard. No need for it.

Spot on mate. (Sm152)

InsertQuinsPunHere (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 16:53
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215499488_8pSZr/0/1050x10000/215499488_8pSZr-1050x10000.jpg

Lewy135 (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 16:57
Quote:
johnlid

And your comment makes my point.

When people are so stupid that they can't read what you post but nevertheless try to tell you that you think the opposite then they can only expect to be told they are stupid.

Sorry if others having a backbone upsets you.

johnlid (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 16:59
Quote:
Lewy135
Quote:
johnlid

When people are so stupid that they can't read what you post but nevertheless try to tell you that you think the opposite then they can only expect to be told they are stupid.

It wasn't the accuracy of the posts I was commenting on, it was their tone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/06/2015 17:00 by johnlid.

FatQuin (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 17:47
Sorry to upset you Lewy but your posts don't make you sound like you have a backbone, they just make you sound like a rude, humourless know-it-all. Before you start, I am not calling you a rude, humourless know-it-all, merely saying your unfortunate manner makes you sound like one.

Anyway back to the thread. I really hope it isn't true but if it is, JTH has pretty much ended his career hasn't he?

Lewy135 (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 18:16
Quote:
johnlid
Quote:
Lewy135
Quote:
johnlid

It wasn't the accuracy of the posts I was commenting on, it was their tone

If people are so stupid that they ignore what you post and try to tell you that you think the opposite then they can expect to be treated with a harsh tone.

Again, sorry if having a backbone upsets you.

Lewy135 (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 18:25
Quote:
FatQuin
Sorry to upset you Lewy but your posts don't make you sound like you have a backbone, they just make you sound like a rude, humourless know-it-all. Before you start, I am not calling you a rude, humourless know-it-all, merely saying your unfortunate manner makes you sound like one.
Anyway back to the thread. I really hope it isn't true but if it is, JTH has pretty much ended his career hasn't he?

You don't upset me in the least.

Sorry if me knowing that what I think the opposite of what an idiot is trying to tell me I think makes me sound like a know-it-all.

Whilst we are sharing, your post makes you sound like a pompous, self-righteous, spineless individual. Not that I'm saying you are a pompous, self-righteous, spineless individual of course, merely saying your unfortunate manner makes you sound like one.

FatQuin (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 18:31
Quote:
Lewy135
Quote:
FatQuin

Sorry if me knowing that what I think the opposite of what an idiot is trying to tell me I think makes me sound like a know-it-all.

Whilst we are sharing, your post makes you sound like a pompous, self-righteous, spineless individual. Not that I'm saying you are a pompous, self-righteous, spineless individual of course, merely saying your unfortunate manner makes you sound like one.

Great comeback *yawn*

Lewy135 (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 19:40
Quote:
FatQuin
Quote:
Lewy135
Quote:
FatQuin

Great comeback *yawn*

Boring post as always *yawn*

FatQuin (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 20:46
Quote:
Lewy135
Quote:
FatQuin
Quote:
Lewy135
Quote:
FatQuin

Great comeback *yawn*

You are getting the hang of this. Now I go *zzzzzzzzz* because you have sent me to sleep and if you promise to do the same, we can stop pestering all the other nice people with this nonsense. Night, night Lewy.

Lewy135 (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 21:14
Quote:
FatQuin
Quote:
Lewy135
Quote:
FatQuin
Quote:
Lewy135
Quote:
FatQuin

Great comeback *yawn*

You are getting the hang of this. Now I go *zzzzzzzzz* because you have sent me to sleep and if you promise to do the same, we can stop pestering all the other nice people with this nonsense. Night, night Lewy.

I'm not pestering anyone. This is a messageboard and I made a comment.

You decided to direct comments at me so I replied.

If you hadn't I certainly wouldn't have engaged in any type of conversation with a sanctimonious child like you.

Like you it really is quite simple.

FatQuin (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 22:23
Wow. He is still going. You have stamina if (absolutely) nothing else Lew Lew.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 22:50
Adi, I was trying to give an example of how somebody could be arrested and charged but had not instigated anything themselves. We are talking about young men who are probably more likely to fight back. Should the London Irish players who gave some Chelsea thugs a pasting, twice, as they returned with weapons, be locked up for beating up some thugs who bit off more than they could chew. As I understand it you can fight somebody off but if you then chase them and continue, that is too far. There are enough punches thrown on the pitch but that's ok because the other player won't get you arrested for assault even with several thousand witnesses. Then somebody in a nightclub gets punched for whatever reason and the player gets slaughtered by some people immediately. Most seem to be taking the sensible innocent until proven path.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
28 June, 2015 23:27
what is happening in this thread

Mayor West (IP Logged)
29 June, 2015 08:50
I think it's the message board insult tennis season.

le tiss (IP Logged)
29 June, 2015 09:00
The stand out fact for me is that he was still in a nightclub at 3am.

I am not sure that is such a good idea for a professional sportsman, it wouldn't be such a great idea for me, not at my age smiling smiley

pat-the-paddy (IP Logged)
29 June, 2015 09:22
So any one who goes put and enjoys a drink is a scummer now according to Regis - what a jerl#k

I guess he goes to bed at 9 with a cup of horlicks - sounds a very interesting dinner party guest

I was out at 5 ion Sunday morning - I must be a terrible person

What a moron

I have also been accused of assault and been found innocent which indeed I was

I am glad Regis was not on the jury, there would have been no point me being there with my barrister - he makes Judge Jefferies sound reasonable - hahaha

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
29 June, 2015 09:25
Quote:
pat-the-paddy
So any one who goes put and enjoys a drink is a scummer now according to Regis - what a jerl#k
I guess he goes to bed at 9 with a cup of horlicks - sounds a very interesting dinner party guest

What a moron

I am glad Regis was not on the jury, there would have been no point me being there with my barrister - he makes Judge Jefferies sound reasonable - hahaha

Why the insults?

Can't you compose a reply to a post on the internet without resorting to personal abuse?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
29 June, 2015 09:42
Quote:
Mayor West
Rodney, it wasn't me it was a colleague who was attacked. The assailant was not hit merely pushed back onto another wall whereupon I intervened. The assailant then discovered that he had cut his arm on the door he had burst through breaking a window. It all calmed down and we tended to his wound and off on his merry way he went. Next morning my colleague was arrested for beating up and throwing the assailant through the door. The police didn't believe us even though there was no evidence to support the assailants story.
Now do you understand how these "rugby player beats up innocent bystander" stories should be best judged after all the facts. Of course he may be guilty but let's wait before condemning him.

You're missing my point. The guy went to the police and complained that he's been thrown through a door and had the wound to show for it. Of course your mate was arrested.

Now I fully understand that JTH and his pal may have been provoked, but there aren't many situations when cheekbones are fractured just trying to restrain somebody.

I'm sure the "victims" were not innocent bystanders. My point is that JTH is in a position where getting into trouble for this sort of thing could ruin his career. The charges are extremely serious.

johnlid (IP Logged)
29 June, 2015 10:21
Quote:
Duncan Beaumont
Quote:
pat-the-paddy

What a moron

Why the insults?

Can't you compose a reply to a post on the internet without resorting to personal abuse?

Leave it Duncan, he's not worth it.
This thread has gone to hell in a hand cart

Rocker (IP Logged)
29 June, 2015 10:34
If the allegations are true it would be a great shame.
I hope they are not.

I shall not speculate on the why's and wherefores at this stage.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 29/06/2015 10:35 by Rocker.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
29 June, 2015 10:56
Quote:
dancing quin
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Quote:
johnlid

Spot on mate. (Sm152)

To be honest, it's a bit futile to voice disappointment about a known troll being childish. Red rag to a bull really.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
29 June, 2015 11:09
Quote:
pat-the-paddy

What a moron

hahaha

I accused him of being a scumbag for getting into a fight at a 3am, not for enjoying a drink.

ianco (IP Logged)
29 June, 2015 11:17
This must be a very stressful time for Jordan. If he is found guilty he would have a very different life. His rugby career would be at risk. Many future jobs he could want won't be open to him. He would have difficulty travelling to places he might want to go to. He would wear his crime for many years to come.

People make mistakes and society demands a price to pay. I hope it works out okay for him

johnlid (IP Logged)
29 June, 2015 11:32
Well said, Ianco

blucherquin (IP Logged)
29 June, 2015 11:34
Wow, this thread is amazing.

Just to clear up a few facts, while the "world cup" tie in is silly - the papers have hardly exaggerated a quite straight forward story of a person being charged with a criminal offence. The information will have come from the police, and justice has to be "seen to be done", hence we don't have secret courts.

Nope, no one know if he's guilty or innocent, but he's been charged - and the newspaper report doesn't make a judgement - nor do the cops, they pass the evidence to the CPS and the CPS makes the decision to charge. The facts can be presented before a court and judged -- the point is he may or may not have "started" it, the jury will get to decide if he should be found guilty of the offence in the context of...wait for it, the evidence.

You can't read anything into how long it's taken to be charged and -- the whole judicial system takes forever, and as someone observes above, it depends when the police received the complaint.

And finally, yes -- it is a very serious offence with which to be charged - GBH with intent can carry a life sentence if it is composed of the most serious aggravating elements.

[www.cps.gov.uk]

poorfour (IP Logged)
29 June, 2015 13:15
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Now I fully understand that JTH and his pal may have been provoked, but there aren't many situations when cheekbones are fractured just trying to restrain somebody.
I'm sure the "victims" were not innocent bystanders. My point is that JTH is in a position where getting into trouble for this sort of thing could ruin his career. The charges are extremely serious.

No, but there are plenty of situations where a single punch could do that sort of damage to someone who is attacking you. Self-defence has a reasonably wide latitude if you're not the aggressor.

"Restraint" is not always an option. I haven't been in many bar fights, mainly because I am a big bloke and people tend not to want to fight me. But I have been in one where I attempted to restrain someone. It worked, eventually, but only because the numbers were on my side and I had begun as a non-combatant, which meant I could get behind one of the fighters and pinion their arms. Also, I had roughly equal strength to the guy I was trying to restrain unlike, say, the policewoman who tried to restrain Tuilagi.

If you're already in the fight, trying to restrain an assailant means opening your defence to someone who's trying to hit you for long enough to grab them. That's risking broken ribs or a broken nose at least.

Perhaps Jordan shouldn't have put himself in the position where he could be attacked by someone. But the odds must have seemed quite low. He's in his mid 20s and presumably this isn't the first time he's been to a nightclub. There's no evidence so far that he's been in a fight before, so presumably he had a reasonable expectation of not being involved in one this time.

This situation sounds very similar to the one OLH was in, and in which he ended up being acquitted. That time, the details of the incident were discussed in lurid detail and there were times when the situation didn't look good for Ollie. The same is likely to happen here. But the only sensible thing to do is to reserve judgement until the case is resolved, and presume innocence until then. That's how the system works, and it shouldn't be any different just because the defendant is a rugby player.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
29 June, 2015 15:29
I fully agree with everything you say Poorfour. I'm not for one second assuming he's guilty. My assertion that he's a scumbag is due to getting into a fight in a nightclub at 3am, something I consider scummy behaviour, not speculation of his guilt or otherwise. Of course, there is a chance he was totally innocent of any wrong-doing, but I haven't often witnessed fights breaking out where one party is completely without blame.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
29 June, 2015 17:26
Poorfour I concur. I also don't think Rodney realises that he could find himself being arrested for assault just by bumping into somebody in the Highstreet and knocking them over breaking their leg. The person makes the accusation , Rodney is arrested by four burly policemen who knock on his door at 6am. The Headline reads. "Regis breaks woman's leg in Highstreet brawl" ...........how would you feel about that?

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
29 June, 2015 19:11
You sound like your life is a bad game's physics engine - gentle pushes resulting in people flying through doors and bumps breaking people's legs!

gregory p (IP Logged)
29 June, 2015 19:12
It's a long while since I looked at any criminal law but my recollection is that provocation used to be a defence only to a charge of murder, allowing it to be downgraded to manslaughter. That has been altered slightly but the gist of it still exists as a defence.

Provocation is not a defence to any other assault type charge. However, it can be used in mitigation when it comes to sentencing - so much so that it may be open to a judge to grant an absolute discharge if, say, the response was muted in the face of extreme provocation.

If I were JTH's brief (and thankfully for him, I'm not) I'd be very keen to show that it was either very serious provocation (or just bad luck that his punch connected so well) to warrant broken cheek bones and lost teeth. No doubt the CPS will be keen to show that it wasn't proportionate as a response. These days there always seems to be CCTV footage.

All that said, let's hear the evidence and let a jury decide. There's nothing quite like hearing testimony first hand.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Harlequins Poll

Is a poll here a stupid idea?

See results > Submit >>