rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from GoogleQuins Official SiteDiamond Geezers Website

Coach Travel Details | Join Quinssa!
Next Coach: Next season
Tickets: Quins

www CAW

Now their 6Nations is over, do Italy deserve to be there?
TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
18 March, 2017 14:26
Conor, I appreciate is in his 1st season with them and his mantra is that they are changing and working on the basics but do they deserve their position in the competition?

My view is that they've had 18 seasons to improve and apart from one or two highlights, they've not done so and no they don't deserve their place. I'm firmly of an opinion that there should be a playoff between the winner of the Rugby Europe Championship and the bottom placed team in the 6Nations

West Stand, Block FD, Row S
@JT075 #COYQ

Re: Now their 6Nations is over, do Italy deserve to be there?
Adi Nako (IP Logged)
18 March, 2017 14:32
First time they've failed to score since 2004.

Scotland really weren't very good today, Italy were just abysmal.

They've managed to reach a new low by not only failing to win a game, but also not picking up a single bonus point.

Lord knows what they will do once Parisse retires.

Forget a playoff, it causes way too many problems and will never happen. At this stage I'd be in favour of (the slightly more realistic option of) going back to the five nations.

Muzza (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 02:31
For years the NH has banged the drum for SANZAR to expand its international competition from Africa to South American to Oceania - now you want to close shop.

Quote:
I'm firmly of an opinion that there should be a playoff between the winner of the Rugby Europe Championship and the bottom placed team in the 6Nations

What about Japan, USA or Canada they are NH countries.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 09:23
Conor deve andare!

19 March, 2017 10:04
I hear good things about the improving structures in Italian rugby but it does take time, by appointing CoS they are showing good intent to get it sorted.....

19 March, 2017 12:29
Quote:
Muzza
For years the NH has banged the drum for SANZAR to expand its international competition from Africa to South American to Oceania - now you want to close shop.
Quote:
I'm firmly of an opinion that there should be a playoff between the winner of the Rugby Europe Championship and the bottom placed team in the 6Nations

What about Japan, USA or Canada they are NH countries.

For the sake of the logistics and playing calendars, they should be regional. It also helps foster support playing local rivals. I'm not suggesting we close the door on other nations but have more regional competitions. Italy getting hammered every match in the 6N isn't going to help them develop. if they are competitive in the lower tournament then support for the game will grow there.

@JT075 #COYQ

19 March, 2017 12:36
Quote:
deadlyfrom5yardsout
I hear good things about the improving structures in Italian rugby but it does take time, by appointing CoS they are showing good intent to get it sorted.....

They've had 18 seasons in the 6N and won a handful of matches. Surely that's time enough for them to have shown some intent. Let someone else have a go I say!

@JT075 #COYQ

19 March, 2017 14:57
You have to look at crowd numbers, how many big Clubs, playing pool etc etc. Mind you, I think Rumania would have had a good case for entrance to 5N's instead of Italy if it wasn't for the Communist Bloc Block....

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 15:43
Ruritania should get the chance too - captained by the zeolous No 8, Zenda...

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 16:05
I'm something of a fan of the promotion / relegation idea, but sadly I think you'll end up with Italy being promoted every other year and the tier two side de jour being perennially dunked. Equally, if we take 2012, 2013, and 2015 when Scotland, France, and Scotland again ended up with the wooden spoon, do we really think that the NH Rugby Illuminati could stomach one of the "established" (i.e. old 5N brethren) countries being relegated at the advancement of Romanian, Georgian, Russian, Spanish, or Portuguese upstarts? I seriously doubt it. They'd always find a way to block them from sitting at the top table.

Squid (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 19:17
Would be better with two pools of 8, with the winners meeting in the final.

That would be much more like a World Cup and would give a chance for Georgia etc to compete and improve at the top table.

Relegation if you finish bottom of your group 3 years in a row, i.e. you've had a decent chance, now someone else gets a go.

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 20:06
I think pool competitions would become too unwieldy. There seems to be an infatuation by the RFU (and fans at large?) with SH teams coming over or AIs, and at least one Tier 2 team - be it Fiji, Samoa, or Tonga - always gets a look-in. Similarly, quite often summer tours have a tinge of USA or Canada about them. Screw that. Charity starts at home - or closer to it than the South Sea Islands, at least. Why not sub at least one of those matches every year with a European T2 team. Will it be a crowd-pleaser? Maybe not as much as a bone-crunching SSI match-up, but surely it's got to be better for the long-term health of the European game?

Finknottle (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 11:25
As they are currently below Georgia in the world rankings I think something needs to happen as they are adding little to the tournament and I am not sure it is doing them any favours.

Lots of options:
1. Go back to being the 5 Nations.
2. Introduce a 2nd tier with promotion/relegation. This could even be done with a summer playoff between the bottom team in the top tier and top team in the 2nd tier.
3. Swap Italy for an All Star Euro XV team made up of the best players from Italy, Georgia, Russia, Romania, Portugal etc. Their home games could be played all over Europe to encourage more people across the continent to discover the joys of rugby.
4. Swap Italy for a South Pacific XV of European based players.

DOK (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 11:29
I quite like option 3!

gregory p (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 12:39
I think relegation (or just going back to 5 nations) would slow up the development of rugby in Italy. If the world game wants to grow then keep them in and maybe even add Georgia or Romania.

Italy beat South Africa this year and were leading England at half time. If they had a kicker and backs who took better options then they would have put Scotland under huge pressure.

More to the point, I want to go to Rome for a weekend to watch good rugby at some point sooner rather than later!

Duncan Beaumont (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 15:42
Quote:
Finknottle
As they are currently below Georgia in the world rankings I think something needs to happen as they are adding little to the tournament and I am not sure it is doing them any favours.
Lots of options:
1. Go back to being the 5 Nations.
2. Introduce a 2nd tier with promotion/relegation. This could even be done with a summer playoff between the bottom team in the top tier and top team in the 2nd tier.
3. Swap Italy for an All Star Euro XV team made up of the best players from Italy, Georgia, Russia, Romania, Portugal etc. Their home games could be played all over Europe to encourage more people across the continent to discover the joys of rugby.
4. Swap Italy for a South Pacific XV of European based players.

5. Leave the competition alone.
In the real world it doesn't matter that Italy usually come last.
Everybody gets another payday out of it.
If you bring in Rumania or Georgia in, they haven't got two ha'pennies to rub together.

Duncan Beaumont (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 15:46
Wikipedia Six Nations (scroll down)

[en.wikipedia.org]

Only England and Ireland have not come last.

Be careful what you tinker with!

London_Falcon (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 16:03
Italy have been in the 6 Nations for 18 championships, finishing last on 12 occasions

When France was first admitted to make it the 5 Nations they were in 17 championships and finished last 10 times.

InsertQuinsPunHere (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 17:21
Nice comparison there London_Falcon, thanks :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Harlequins Poll

Is a poll here a stupid idea?

See results > Submit >>