Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from GoogleQuins Official SiteDiamond Geezers Website

Coach Travel Details | Join Quinssa!
Next Coach: Next season
Tickets: Quins

www CAW

Poor empty Stoop for the Anglo-Welsh...
blucherquin (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 14:45
Unless they're all hiding in the Kings Bar with 15 mins to kick off, last live shot inside our beloved Stoop looks sadly empty...

Long way to travel for the two teams involved obvs - but clearly attracting barely any other interest, is it always like that?

I went to the one we won at Worcs and don't remember crowd being tiny - but maybe it was..anyone?

Re: Poor empty Stoop for the Anglo-Welsh...
Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 14:55
I went to that game against Sharks at Sixways too, Blucher. As I recall, it was pretty well attended, even though there were heavy snowstorms on the way up the M40 that had some concerned if they could actually get there!

I'd be careful about using pre-game TV shots to judge attendance, though. A lot of the pieces to camera (apart from the pieces with players warming up) are shot earlier. It's easier and safer for the broadcaster to get the "Talking Heads" pieces filmed and in the bag earlier so that if there's any technical hitch, they know they have something already recorded that they can broadcast.

That said, I'd guess they'll be lucky if they get more than 8k at the final today...

blucherquin (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 15:00
You may be right, but there seem to be a lot of empty seats in the east and west - north and south appear unused.

PickledPelican (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 15:42
Now game well underway, East and West fairly full..

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 15:54
Maybe there'd be more interest in the competition if they reverted to the tried and tested "FA Cup" style of competition the JPS / Pilkington / Tetley Bitter Cup used to be. No stupid pool systems, no second XVs fielded, just random draws and giant-killing matches.

*sigh*

blucherquin (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 16:01
Yeah actually ignore me - east and west look almost full once it was a few mins in

SouthCoastQuin (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 17:00
Pitch looks very poor, lots of sand

Mayor West (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 17:44
I was offered free tickets to this earlier today but I turned them down along with most of the others at kids training . I was told that they were having trouble selling tickets for this one. It's a long way for both sets of fans and not a big final on a weekend when there is loads of top games on already. I watched the second half after my gardening session and didn't find it that entertaining as a neutral.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 22:15
Ok I wasn't that wrong - attendance was 6834.

DazzaS (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 22:22
Had quins got to the final the stadium would be rocking. Result may have been the same though

DOK (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 09:50
Official figure around 6,800. Stands looked full cos North and South not used. The row we sat on in the blue bit of the West Stand had no-one else on it (I think it was a Tigers block.
The Quins Head was empty! 45 mins before KO we literally just walked up to the bar. I have a couple of pictures I'll put up later.
Food stalls were similar. And as for the queues for the loos - blessed relief!

Cookie (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 09:54
50 went from my rugby club on freebies. The missus' school were offered 300 freebies.

Can't imagine the authorities liked seeing the totally empty ends on TV.

DOK (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 10:00
Well they should have engineered a Harlequins win! Either playing Exeter or Tigers we'd have filled the stadium!

Seriously, why don't they toss a coin for who gets to play at home? At either Exeter or Leicester they'd have done better than 6800.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 10:01
Quote:
blucherquin
Ok I wasn't that wrong - attendance was 6834.

Which is down on recent ones, but I guess ballpark for it...

14/15 -- 8685 Sarries V Chiefs at Franklins
13/14 -- 10744 Chiefs V Sainst at Exeter
12/13 -- 8100 Quins v Sharks at Sixways
11/12 -- 11895 Saints v Tigers at Sixways
10/11 -- 6848 Gloucs v Falcons at Franklins
09/10 -- 12024 Saints v Gloucs at Sixways

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 10:11
They can't really wait 'til the finalists are announced if they want to sell tickets beforehand, though. Also, if i's to be televised, the TV bods will need to know ahead of time where the game's going to be played so they can arrange logistics etc. Some clubs may have restrictions on how far in advance they can add extra games due to transport/policing/stewarding/bar staffing/etc. In Wasps case, they have to make sure that their tenants in Coventry aren't playing.

In the long run, I can't see the Anglo-Welsh being in existence in 10 years time, at least in its current form. If the A-League is expanded to a full competition as is being discussed, that'll be where players in need of game time (younger prospects, players working back from injury etc) will get it. Welsh regions will want some form of competition to get footfall through the gates, but if the Prem does expand to 14 teams with or without ring-fencing, there'll be no space in the season for the A/W to fit.

PickledPelican (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 21:35
Teams/clubs manage to organise playing at home, or away, OK for the end of season playoffs for the top 4!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Harlequins Poll

Is a poll here a stupid idea?

See results > Submit >>