rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Q&A with JK on May 2nd
19 April, 2017 17:04
Surely only one question needs to be asked......

Re: Q&A with JK on May 2nd
talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 17:05
Quote:
Harleys Evil Step Mum

What are your views about CAW poster The150?

DOK (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 17:10
How many keyboard warriors will turn up this time? smiling smiley

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 18:04
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Harleys Evil Step Mum

That's ridiculous... He'll have changed his ID three or four times by then... winking smiley

DazzaS (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 18:05
How can I book myself onto this

COYQ_2017 (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 18:08
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Harleys Evil Step Mum

Why single me out?

COYQ_2017 (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 18:11
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Harleys Evil Step Mum

That's ridiculous... He'll have changed his ID three or four times by then... winking smiley

I didn't choose to change my login - DOK decided I didn't follow the JK must stay CAW party line so he decided to block me.

I repeat - over several years I have made many many points unconnected to JK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/04/2017 18:22 by The150.

gregory p (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 18:17
If it's the DOR now making those decisions then no wonder he's trying to block you.

COYQ_2017 (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 18:22
Quote:
gregory p
If it's the DOR now making those decisions then no wonder he's trying to block you.

DOK not DOR - my bad!

Monte (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 18:22
Dazzling on Quins site for members plus guests

SiBolton (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 18:25
Should be an interesting evening , Conor's at the end of last season was a bit of an eye opener, mind you a lot of that had to do with him leaving and he could say what he wanted

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 18:30
Quote:
SiBolton
Should be an interesting evening , Conor's at the end of last season was a bit of an eye opener, mind you a lot of that had to do with him leaving and he could say what he wanted

What did he say? I missed that...

SiBolton (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 18:37
The small percentages that would have changed outcomes
Some of the questionable decisions that when explained made sense on the pitch
But also though comments about Tom being far more important than many where aware along with playing by the rules etc, nothing ground breaking bug comments I'd never heard from Conor previously

19 April, 2017 20:47
Quote:
The150
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Harleys Evil Step Mum

Why single me out?

You are currently the most vocal JK Out advocate on here. Take it as a compliment 🙂

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 21:02
Do you have to book or just turn up?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 21:26
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Do you have to book or just turn up?

It's for members only, and there's an email address in the emails they've sent out to members - you give your details and how many tickets you'd like.

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 21:50
Odds of 1000 to 1 that nobody will stand up and tell him he must go.

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 08:19
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
Odds of 1000 to 1 that nobody will stand up and tell him he must go.

10,000 to 1!

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 10:02
Have to admit never been to a Quins one but have been to Q and As on many different subjects and I find them a little pointless, a bit of a crowd pleaser. They seldom answer your questions and generally have their own itinerary on what they was to put across. Any hard hitting questions will be dodged or even intercepted by the compare.

I also second the very seldom to you hear the loud mouth behind closed doors ask their question or make their point.

That said I hope those that go have a good and informative evening and will someone please put up the main points for us paupers of no membership.

Cookie (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 10:04
Personally I wouldn't shy away from making my point, as I did with Ellis. But you perfectly explain why there's no point putting oneself in the firing line - the question wouldn't get answered and it wouldn't be worth the tutting :-)

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 11:20
I cannot attend, but my question would be:-

"In a market that mixes business and sport and that has to both promote and exercise constant improvement, are the metrics used by management to gauge the effectiveness of coaching and playing routines mutually and frequently reviewed by all stakeholders?"

DazzaS (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 11:36
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
"In a market that mixes business and sport and that has to both promote and exercise constant improvement, are the metrics used by management to gauge the effectiveness of coaching and playing routines mutually and frequently reviewed by all stakeholders?"

I dont understand a word of this!!!!!! (Sm55) (Sm55) (Sm55) (Sm55) (Sm55)

Bucksquin (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 13:24
Ellis would understand it he'd probably say you've oversimplified it ...

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 13:32
Quote:
DazzaS
Quote:
Bolly-Quin

"How do you, internally, define what effective coaching and playing looks like, and do you then compare the results with your expectations on a regular basis"

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

20 April, 2017 13:50
I see no merit in me standing up and saying 'The results are rubbish, will you please leave?'......that's just rude, and in public embarrassing for him (not for me, happy to do it).....that's why we have a message board surely? But yes, won't attend...usual spin and diversion!

DazzaS (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 14:39
Quote:
Jammy Git
Quote:
DazzaS
Quote:
Bolly-Quin

"How do you, internally, define what effective coaching and playing looks like, and do you then compare the results with your expectations on a regular basis"

Can you dumb it down a bit more please?

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 15:29
Quote:
DazzaS
Quote:
Jammy Git
Quote:
DazzaS
Quote:
Bolly-Quin

How d'ya know if your ne gud? (Sm72)

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 15:31
Quote:
DazzaS
Quote:
Jammy Git
Quote:
DazzaS
Quote:
Bolly-Quin

smiling smiley

"Do you set standards down in writing and if so are we regularly checking to see if we're meeting them?"

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

DazzaS (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 06:48
Ah that's better I now actually understand it. Thanks Jammy and Bolly.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 20:32
So was it any good?
Hearing some good reports on Twitter

Cookie (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 20:38
Quote:
SiBolton
So was it any good?
Hearing some good reports on Twitter

Where?

SiBolton (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 20:55
It was at the Stoop
Comments from a few people I follow on Twitter

02 May, 2017 22:12
Having listened to him speak tonight, I for one believe that he is the right man for the job. Came across very well, he is under no illusions about the task in hand but has one aim for the club, win the premiership. Good explanation of the change in tactics especially changing the point of attack and playing a wider and more expansive game, playing a more pragmatic game and not always trying to run the ball out of defence or generally in last third of the pitch.It has taken a long time to get everybody to play the new systems especially when under pressure when the natural tendency is to revert to what you know. Showed that whatever one might think there has been a marked improvement in defence as shown by a reduction in the number of trys against.There are a few signings yet to announce and there are 10 players who are not having their contracts renewed this summer out of the 30 up for renewal. New signings need to be players who are always available so that we have a firm and strong base so that we do not suffer so much as we do currently during International periods. Emphasised that we need to right type of new players who want to play for the club, at least two new signings have turned down much higher salaries to join Quins.He is well aware that he is "public enemy number one" in the eyes of some.
Apparently Danny Cares new hairstyle has not lasted, just think of Kojak to get an idea of what the new style is like! DC currently still injured, will not know if he will be fit for Saturday until later in the week.
Thats all I can think of at the moment, will add some more tomorrow if I think of anything.
JK MUST STAY.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 22:39
Thanks BB.

So, any guesses on the 10??

Gray
Stanley
Jackson
Roberts
Matthews
Talei

Does this include academy players maybe??

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 22:54
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Thanks BB.
So, any guesses on the 10??

Gray
Stanley
Jackson
Roberts
Matthews
Talei

Does this include academy players maybe??

Could well include nev Dickson and hopper.Roberts is under contract next season.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 23:06
Bit harsh on Matthews - I don't think you can question his effort this year - I'd be very surprised if he were to go.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 23:13
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying who should etc, just who I think might, based on the recent renewals plus the players we have that I cannot see us letting go.

I realise Roberts is under contract for next season. I thought JK said that 30 players were OOC next season. From that, some have renewed recently and others will be let go. I don't see Roberts getting a new deal so included him.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 23:15
Another one I could see, that I wouldn't agree with is Walker

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 23:18
Any 10 from:-

Talei
Stanley
Shields
Naopou
Murphy?
L. Jones
A. Jones - stay as coach?
Jackson
Hopper
Hodson?
Gendall?
O. Evans?
N. Evans
Elia-Elia?
Dickson

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 23:27
Well we know that the following are all going

Shields
Naopou
Murphy
L Jones
Hopper
Gendall
O Evans
N Evans
Dickson
Nairn
Saunders

11 so far. I would be amazed if Talei stays and also expect Hodson to go (if they have not already). If you take the total squad and then remove the above plus the recent renewals, then the guys like Marler, Horwill, Robshaw that I don't see us letting go there are not many left to choose from (if they are not the ones above). I guess it is a case of does he mean players that have left or a further 10 OOC??

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 00:27
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Well we know that the following are all going
Shields
Naopou
Murphy
L Jones
Hopper
Gendall
O Evans
N Evans
Dickson
Nairn
Saunders

11 so far. I would be amazed if Talei stays and also expect Hodson to go (if they have not already). If you take the total squad and then remove the above plus the recent renewals, then the guys like Marler, Horwill, Robshaw that I don't see us letting go there are not many left to choose from (if they are not the ones above). I guess it is a case of does he mean players that have left or a further 10 OOC??

I was going to say that I doubt it would be 10 more, but then I read that Worcester have 18 players (+5 academy) leaving so I guess it is certainly possible.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 05:03
Slightly confused - previously JK said he has 28 (pretty sure it was 28) out of contract next year - e.g. end of 17/18 season.

So the 10 this year were part of that - in addition to that - or did we all possibly misunderstand what he meant by "next season".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2017 08:38 by blucherquin.

poorfour (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 06:41
I believe what he said was that around 10 players will leave this summer and he will be looking to replace them with players who have the right level of talent and character (particularly leadership, playing for their team mates and the will to win), but who will be around all the time rather than vanishing for international periods.

He specifically cited George Ford as a player they didn't consider as he would be absent too much (in conjunction with the other EPS Internationals - apparently 8 is a club record).

He also said that 30 contracts were up for renewal over the next year and he was already working on extending the players he wanted to keep.

There's also a review ongoing into this year's injury rate and whether they can do anything to reduce it. The most telling stat for me was that the "first XV" of 2011-12 played 78% of the league minutes over the season. Their equivalents this season have played only 35% - but the positive is that a number of players (he mentioned Buchanan, Clifford and Marchant among others) now have much more experience of the system and leading within the system.

Overall, I think he made a good case for what he's trying to do and why it's taken some time. He admitted that we were probably undercooked at the start of the season and that if he had his time again he might try to change fewer things at once.

Considering all the changes and challenges (new attack, new defence, different conditioning especially for the forwards, 50% of the coaches in different roles, massive injury and International impacts), we've still done better than in the last two years and at least as well as Deano or COS's first AP seasons. He said he felt we were in a place to perform better next year and I felt he'd made that case well enough.

By the way, the only question he didn't give a direct answer was when asked about Lowe and Sloan, when he spoke about other injuries instead. Makes me a little worried for them, but I guess we shall see in pre-season.

Cookie (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 07:50
Quote:
poorfour
I believe what he said was that around 10 players will leave this summer and he will be looking to replace them with players who have the right level of talent and character (particularly leadership, playing for their team mates and the will to win), but who will be around all the time rather than vanishing for international periods.
He specifically cited George Ford as a player they didn't consider as he would be absent too much (in conjunction with the other EPS Internationals - apparently 8 is a club record).

He also said that 30 contracts were up for renewal over the next year and he was already working on extending the players he wanted to keep.

There's also a review ongoing into this year's injury rate and whether they can do anything to reduce it. The most telling stat for me was that the "first XV" of 2011-12 played 78% of the league minutes over the season. Their equivalents this season have played only 35% - but the positive is that a number of players (he mentioned Buchanan, Clifford and Marchant among others) now have much more experience of the system and leading within the system.

Overall, I think he made a good case for what he's trying to do and why it's taken some time. He admitted that we were probably undercooked at the start of the season and that if he had his time again he might try to change fewer things at once.

Considering all the changes and challenges (new attack, new defence, different conditioning especially for the forwards, 50% of the coaches in different roles, massive injury and International impacts), we've still done better than in the last two years and at least as well as Deano or COS's first AP seasons. He said he felt we were in a place to perform better next year and I felt he'd made that case well enough.

By the way, the only question he didn't give a direct answer was when asked about Lowe and Sloan, when he spoke about other injuries instead. Makes me a little worried for them, but I guess we shall see in pre-season.

This is all very well if he, MT, CO etc weren't part of everything that seemingly needed to be fixed. Either he stood idly by watching COS make bad decisions or he endorsed them. I'm not sure which is worst; both are pretty damning.

Saying "considering all the changes" to what they were all willingly coaching last season isn't really a good look.

I will accept that injuries have been a problem this season. But our policy of signing older players who've been around the block (Reddish, Naopou, Talei etc) or those with a history of injury (Alofa, Jackson) is not a great one. Add to this our reliance on players close to retirement, especially during the international period (Evans, Dickson), some of this is of our own making.

And if we lose on Saturday, we will actually have had a worse season than last year as we will have finished 7th (again) and not made the Challenge Cup Semi Finals. Yes, we could creep into the Champions Cup by the playoffs, but that opportunity didn't exist last season.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 08:22
Or he argued strongly against the decisions, but as head coach he didn't get to make that call? Or any of the shades of grey in between the two options you give?

03 May, 2017 08:23
In terms of the 10 players leaving that presumably means:

Naoupu
Murphy
Jones
Gendall
Evans
Shields
Evans
Dickson

So will there be another two leaving, or is he also including Nairn and Saunders?

If so it isn't exactly a huge clear out, particularly as two of them are academy players and the top four in the list above were only here as injury cover.

With Catrakilis, Bothma, Lewis, Swainston and Boyce coming in, I wonder if we may have seen the majority of incomings already.

The only way I see us bringing in many more people is if others leave.

Stoquin (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 08:32
I enjoyed the evening immensely and can't fault what JK is trying to do but the'having a better season' debate revolves around a result this weekend. If we make 6th then we have achieved the minimum target set by the coaching team, if not then we really haven't done any better than the last 2 years.
So roll on Northampton lets hope they continue their poor run of form. COYQ

03 May, 2017 08:34
Basically, whatever the guy says, has said, does or has done, he is never going to win in some peoples eyes.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 08:35
Blimey Cookie, if you've made your mind up why bother reading what he's said?

Kingston can't come out and say "I thought CoS lost the plot and was doing it wrong and was rubbish.." because it's a small world and you'll never catch them slagging each other off coz they might well end up working together again.

However, he's gone as far down that road as he probably feels able to by saying that as head coach it was his job to "make sure you're overseeing what's on the pitch, doing the patterns, directing the training, making sure the other coaches are doing what's agreed for the session that's taking place" (for example from the Feb facebook live).

Which is as close to "I did what I was told, but now I'm in charge I'll do it differently because I didn't totally agree with it." as I can imagine him saying.

He's been very open in saying that this isn't "his" team because he feels the balance of players is wrong and wants to change it.

I can't agree that if he "stood idly by" or "endorsed them" it's "pretty damning". If I didn't do what my boss told me I'd get the sack, and while he'll listen to my ideas, he's under no obligation to follow my advice..because he's the boss. Can't see it's any different in rugby. You make it sound like he was a @#$%& concentration camp guard.

We've had some really bad performances this season which he acknowledges, and I'm not yet convinced by him - and indeed next season, I'll feel like there aren't any excuses if we continue to mess up the basics like we've done this year.

*An interesting aside...it censors the word for the party that took over Germany in the 1930s...must be tricky for National Geographic's forum..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2017 09:34 by blucherquin.

Monte (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 08:50
I don't think you can include NEV and Dickson in their 'contracts not being renewed'. If you put the clock back 4/5 years on both we would have them like a shot. They are both going to be missed hugely Dickson has been a brilliant number two 9.

Brian Moore said the other day that Quins problem is we are underpowered in the pack compared to other clubs and have been for several seasons. Unfortunately could not make last night but hope that the replacements are going to be more Horwill type than Charlie Matthews.

With no NEV the pack going forward is going to be even more important particularly when Joe and Sinks are with England. This year our worst matches when Horwill was missing at the same time.

gregory p (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 09:06
One point he made was that in 2012 the first choice team played 78% of the available game time.

This season his first choice team has been available 35% of the game time.

He seems to want to get the spine of the team - 2,8,9, 10, 15 - to be available more often than they have been, in particular 8 and 10. He's putting a lot of faith in Catrakilis and Bothma.

Last year we conceded 66 tries (presumably in the Premiership) but have conceded 55 with one to play this year. That's not a bad reduction. He thought that was evidence that the new systems were working.

No one questioned his long term employment prospects (no surprise there then) but he did acknowledge that some people thought that he was public enemy number 1. While that's keeping Jeremy Corbyn off top spot for the moment, it shows that he (or maybe Minty) read the board.

He was generally very articulate - more so than in front of the post match TV enquiry - and genuinely wants to achieve with this group of players. That said, the questions weren't tough and Kim Jung Il's people are on the phone as I write asking for pointers on conference management. Seriously, I think Bedfordshire Boy's assessment is fair and he seems a determined but realistic DOR and I think he deserves another two seasons before we kick him.

Oops.........I've just seen Poorfour's post where he rightly makes some of these points - apologies for wasting your time!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2017 09:09 by gregory p.

03 May, 2017 09:09
Quote:
Monte
I don't think you can include NEV and Dickson in their 'contracts not being renewed'. If you put the clock back 4/5 years on both we would have them like a shot. They are both going to be missed hugely Dickson has been a brilliant number two 9.
Brian Moore said the other day that Quins problem is we are underpowered in the pack compared to other clubs and have been for several seasons. Unfortunately could not make last night but hope that the replacements are going to be more Horwill type than Charlie Matthews.

With no NEV the pack going forward is going to be even more important particularly when Joe and Sinks are with England. This year our worst matches when Horwill was missing at the same time.

If we don't include Dickson and Evans and don't include the academy players, then that's four more to leave that haven't been announced.

It's hard to know who is actually on a contract that is expiring, but you'd imagine it's from the following group:

Elia
Hodson
Hopper (Does he count as expiring?)
Jones (I assume he won't be a player next year)
Stanley
Talei

Either way none of them are players who have had a significant impact this season so their departure wouldn't be hugely felt and I'm not sure if them leaving would leave us much in the cap to replace them with.

It would be more interesting if we were looking at replacing the players who have played significant minutes with improvements (for me that would be the likes of Gray, Matthews, Alofa and Jackson) but I suspect most of those players aren't on contracts that are expiring this season.

All just speculation of course (albeit quite entertaining speculation) but I still don't really see there being a huge clearout this summer and if we were going to bring in any more players for the first team squad, it would have been announced by now.

But let's wait and see.

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 09:16
I thought he spoke well and with passion and determination to succeed ( its a shame he doesn't expand on that in his media interviews , where he comes across as dour)

The defensive changes were well explained with video clips , and the point that was noted above about the 78/35 % playing minutes is clearly important.

I thought he was honest about trying to change too much too quick early season and paid the price for that , and is clear about attracting the best he can that don't have full International Commitments until he can completely shake out the squad .

It seem like a 3 season plan and he has stated he expects to be at or near the top of the tree by then and that his aim at the start of this season was to try and achieve Champions Cup Rugby.

Roll on Saturday

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 09:21
Was Mapletoft in attendance?

Quins4life (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 09:30
If Bothma can have the impact that Kingston is suggesting, we are going to have two very strong number 8 choices in him and Luamanu, who I think has has a fantastic 2nd half of the season. Lets not forget Clifford either, who's best position according to some is there also....

Personally, Kingston has won me over during the season and I do now feel he deserves at least next season to try and implement what he wants. Will look forward to seeing his next few signings. Would like a hooker and a centre JK!!!!

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 09:38
From someone who didn't go, thanks all who have given feedback. The way I read it he came across well and has a 3 year plan with yr 1 nearly complete. Cant wait to hear the signings we don't know of. I hope we win and win big a Saturday. If we can build more consistency for next year we will be a few places higher not forgetting how we seldom get losing BPs grab a few more of them and it's top 4 rugby.

Looking forward to next season.

03 May, 2017 09:46
Quote:
RodneyRegis

No, why should he be?

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 09:59
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Bit harsh on Matthews - I don't think you can question his effort this year - I'd be very surprised if he were to go.

I think Matthews has had a very good season. Watching him closely you see that he's not a flashy player, just a hard-working lock who does a lot of unseen and unsung work. People seem to focus on his lack of impact given his size, but as a member of the pack he does have a lot of impact. For me he's been one of the more consistent players this season.

Cookie (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 10:11
Quote:
blucherquin
Blimey Cookie, if you've made your mind up why bother reading what he's said?
Kingston can't come out and say "I thought CoS lost the plot and was doing it wrong and was rubbish.." because it's a small world and you'll never catch them slagging each other off coz they might well end up working together again.

However, he's gone as far down that road as he probably feels able to by saying that as head coach it was his job to "make sure you're overseeing what's on the pitch, doing the patterns, directing the training, making sure the other coaches are doing what's agreed for the session that's taking place" (for example from the Feb facebook live).

Which is as close to "I did what I was told, but now I'm in charge I'll do it differently because I didn't totally agree with it." as I can imagine him saying.

He's been very open in saying that this isn't "his" team because he feels the balance of players is wrong and wants to change it.

I can't agree that if he "stood idly by" or "endorsed them" it's "pretty damning". If I didn't do what my boss told me I'd get the sack, and while he'll listen to my ideas, he's under no obligation to follow my advice..because he's the boss. Can't see it's any different in rugby. You make it sound like he was a @#$%& concentration camp guard.

We've had some really bad performances this season which he acknowledges, and I'm not yet convinced by him - and indeed next season, I'll feel like there aren't any excuses if we continue to mess up the basics like we've done this year.

*An interesting aside...it censors the word for the party that took over Germany in the 1930s...must be tricky for National Geographic's forum..

I recently parted ways with a major high street retailer who I was advising on business development because we had a fundamental disagreement on how to move the company forward. I was so convinced in my strategies that I "failed forward". That is, I pushed so hard for my plans and they resisted so much that we agreed to go our separate ways. What I wasn't prepared to do was to sit by and watch it all go wrong (again). Ironically, they are now implementing a lot of the plans I laid out!

This is what I mean. He either didn't do enough to disagree and redirect the strategies, or he fell in line. I can't abide people who do the latter, but this is not a personal slight on JK/MT/CO as I don't know which it is.

And I'll say it again, this is not all about JK for me. MT and CO are equally culpable. In fact MT doesn't impress me one bit and arguably he spends more time engaging directly with the players and coaching the new plans.

Simply put, when a club or business need a drastic change/improvement, it is very hard to believe that could come from within, driven by those at least partly culpable for the malaise. I can't think of any examples of clubs who have succeeded in improving their lot by promoting internally and/or keeping the existing key managers/coaches while largely relying on the same players.

I would be very surprised if the players weren't of the same opinion, at least at first. Although I will accept that the past few weeks have seen some of the best performances of the season.

03 May, 2017 10:44
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Bolly-Quin

I think Matthews has had a very good season. Watching him closely you see that he's not a flashy player, just a hard-working lock who does a lot of unseen and unsung work. People seem to focus on his lack of impact given his size, but as a member of the pack he does have a lot of impact. For me he's been one of the more consistent players this season.

I think Matthews is fine and I agree with BQ that you can't fault his effort.

But I don't think he's the sort of player that can take us up to the next level. Howrill is obviously class and Twomey was getting there before his injury.

For me both Matthews and Merrick are pretty reasonable back-ups but you don't necessarily want them to be in your starting lineup against some of the other locks in the division. If Reddish and Twomey both make it back from injury I'd see them ahead of both Merrick and Matthews (albeit Reddish does have a fair bit to prove having not played for us really) and I'd quite like to see another solid option in that position.

poorfour (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 10:49
Quote:
Cookie
This is all very well if he, MT, CO etc weren't part of everything that seemingly needed to be fixed. Either he stood idly by watching COS make bad decisions or he endorsed them. I'm not sure which is worst; both are pretty damning.
Saying "considering all the changes" to what they were all willingly coaching last season isn't really a good look.

I will accept that injuries have been a problem this season. But our policy of signing older players who've been around the block (Reddish, Naopou, Talei etc) or those with a history of injury (Alofa, Jackson) is not a great one. Add to this our reliance on players close to retirement, especially during the international period (Evans, Dickson), some of this is of our own making.

And if we lose on Saturday, we will actually have had a worse season than last year as we will have finished 7th (again) and not made the Challenge Cup Semi Finals. Yes, we could creep into the Champions Cup by the playoffs, but that opportunity didn't exist last season.

I don't think it's damning at all. For one thing, as Head Coach you have input to what the DoR says, but you're not the boss. You're implementing what the DoR is aHe made it clear that there were a number of details about players and contracts (though he wasn't specific about what they were) that COS had decided not to share with the other coaches and that he only found out on picking up the DoR role.

Secondly, one of the important themes last night was about the progression - the idea that you have to regularly evolve the system to make it harder for teams to work you out. We can argue about whether pre-JK it was evolving fast enough, and we will never know how much say he had in COS's system, but he set out a good case for what he's trying to do and also that he's committed to not "doing what we've always done just because it's what we've always done."

(There was also an anecdote about him chatting to Rob Baxter and Baxter being a bit bemused about how many interceptions Exeter have been giving up. "Well, it's because they have a very structured attack where they always go wide by doing [x] and you can read the play, but I wasn't going to tell him that" - the gist being that he thinks the other teams are very close to working Exeter out and they will have to change their system or get caught out next season. It happens to everyone.)

I'd agree with you on the squad structure with a couple of caveats - firstly, nearly all of those players were recruited by COS. Secondly, Quins have in the past rehabilitated players with serious injury issues (Olly Kohn, for instance, and Robshaw in his early years) - although my impression is that our physios aren't as good at that as they once were.

JK's recruitment policy seems to be skewing more towards experienced players who will fit the squad well but also bring a bit of independent thought and leadership. Catrakilis and Bothma are both 27, which means they're neither raw nor over the hill.

It's easy to criticise when you weren't there... there was a lot more nuance to what JK was saying than I could type on my phone on the train. But I get the sense that a number of people on the board made up their minds a long time ago.

Cookie (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 10:56
Everything that's been quoted was said to me by David Ellis a couple of months ago. The injury stats, contracts, our style having been worked out etc, so none of this is news for me.

And, yes, I'm coming from an angle whereby I need to be convinced his promotion was the right decision and so far I'm not.

poorfour (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 11:25
Quote:
Cookie
Everything that's been quoted was said to me by David Ellis a couple of months ago. The injury stats, contracts, our style having been worked out etc, so none of this is news for me.
And, yes, I'm coming from an angle whereby I need to be convinced his promotion was the right decision and so far I'm not.

You see, I don't think you are. I think you are coming from an angle where you are already convinced that he's not the right man for the job and there doesn't seem to be anything that will change your mind.

If I follow the logic of your high street retailer experience to its conclusion, you actually think he should have resigned as Head Coach before the DOR post became vacant because he couldn't implement the things he's doing now.

Cookie (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 11:33
Quote:
poorfour
Quote:
Cookie

You see, I don't think you are. I think you are coming from an angle where you are already convinced that he's not the right man for the job and there doesn't seem to be anything that will change your mind.

If I follow the logic of your high street retailer experience to its conclusion, you actually think he should have resigned as Head Coach before the DOR post became vacant because he couldn't implement the things he's doing now.

Not at all. If we'd had a good run at making the top 4 (like Bath did.....) and got into (or close) to the Challenge Cup final, or put together a string of good performances, or made more significant moves in the transfer market (which, granted, could still happen), I could have been convinced. As it is, it's more of the same. And I get that this is some kind of a transition season, but I still think it's reasonable to have expected more improvement.

I think, if he thought changes needed to be implemented, he should have forced COS into them or said he's not happy with our direction and move on. Not an easy decision, as well I know. But sitting around until the opportunity to be promoted arrived and then to say lots of things needed changing doesn't sit well with me.

03 May, 2017 11:36
Really don't like this implication that anyone who hasn't supported JK would rather be proved right than see the team do well.

As Cookie says, if I'd seen significant improvements, or any consistent improvements, then I'd be delighted and would be looking forward to seeing how that develops next season, and would happily eat humble pie for not having wanted JK in the first place.

Now that the decision has been made that he'll stay on for next year I again hope he'll prove me wrong. I really do.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 11:42
But Cookie (and again to state, Im yet to be convinced by JK) your point necessitates there being time to make the changes happen, and he's said that he tried to change too much at the start of the season -- which means he's trying to change a lot (again, regardless of a judgement on if they're the right changes or not).

Good run at top 4 -- well, he's acknowledged we messed up the start of the year - and if we hadn't then we'd have been in touch with 4th place between us, Tigers and Bath.

Close to Challenge cup final -- yes poor agreed, but during the period when he's acknowledged it wasn't working

Transfer market -- he's repeated time and again that until he gets contract movement he can't shape the team entirely as he'd like

You're turning me into a JK backer here, but if you're objective about the points you're making, I'm afraid they just don't stand up to huge amounts of scrutiny as a way of judging his success or failure thus far.

I'm afraid you really lose me at "he should have forced COS into them"....come on be serious.

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 13:01
Quote:
gregory p
Last year we conceded 66 tries (presumably in the Premiership) but have conceded 55 with one to play this year. That's not a bad reduction.

Well, let's hope it does turn out to be a reduction. smiling smiley

BB

Cookie (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 13:12
Quote:
blucherquin
But Cookie (and again to state, Im yet to be convinced by JK) your point necessitates there being time to make the changes happen, and he's said that he tried to change too much at the start of the season -- which means he's trying to change a lot (again, regardless of a judgement on if they're the right changes or not).
Good run at top 4 -- well, he's acknowledged we messed up the start of the year - and if we hadn't then we'd have been in touch with 4th place between us, Tigers and Bath.

Close to Challenge cup final -- yes poor agreed, but during the period when he's acknowledged it wasn't working

Transfer market -- he's repeated time and again that until he gets contract movement he can't shape the team entirely as he'd like

You're turning me into a JK backer here, but if you're objective about the points you're making, I'm afraid they just don't stand up to huge amounts of scrutiny as a way of judging his success or failure thus far.

I'm afraid you really lose me at "he should have forced COS into them"....come on be serious.

Fair comments.

On the basis I wasn't happy with the internal promotions, I suppose I was going to need to see a fast start, good rugby, fighting performances etc straight off the bat. Maybe that's unfair, but I wasn't really in the 'give him time' camp from Day 1, so that was my starting point.

Take your other points, although we blew the Challenge Cup in late Jan and the home AWC Final at the Stoop mid-March by losing to Exeter.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 14:36
As it goes, I wasn't pleased that JK got the job because we'd been underperforming under Conor and JK was part of that -- I'd hoped a new man would shake things up.

But that said, in this Q&A (which I haven't seen) and the Facebook live (which I have), he seems to have conveyed real passion and being fired up about a specific vision for the team..(he certainly was in the facebook thing)...something that's distinctly lacking from his pre and post match appearances.

Between that, our recent improvements, and him not backing away from trying to really explain what he's up to --- I'm now in the camp of giving him time.

gregory p (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 14:41
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
gregory p
Last year we conceded 66 tries (presumably in the Premiership) but have conceded 55 with one to play this year. That's not a bad reduction.

If it's like the last game of last season - Exeter - then we may not see that reduction!

03 May, 2017 14:54
Quote:
gregory p
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
gregory p

If it's like the last game of last season - Exeter - then we may not see that reduction!

That game actually really skews those statistics to an extent, although that capitulation cannot be ignored as it was symptomatic of the team we'd become.

I suppose the more relevant comparison would be between the first half of this season and the second half as this would show how JK and the team had improved things over the course of the year.

Probably not a totally fair comparison owing to the home/away divide but I'd be willing to suggest we've conceded fewer tries in the second half of the season than the first.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 15:15
Quote:
blucherquin
As it goes, I wasn't pleased that JK got the job because we'd been underperforming under Conor and JK was part of that -- I'd hoped a new man would shake things up.
But that said, in this Q&A (which I haven't seen) and the Facebook live (which I have), he seems to have conveyed real passion and being fired up about a specific vision for the team..(he certainly was in the facebook thing)...something that's distinctly lacking from his pre and post match appearances.

Between that, our recent improvements, and him not backing away from trying to really explain what he's up to --- I'm now in the camp of giving him time.

I think the issue is that the soundbites shown on TV pre & post game don't come across as good is that i) JK seems to be a person happier to speak at length about things rather than in a snappy soundbite and ii) those sections are driven by the interviewer and are maybe 2 minutes long where they are trying to cover a number of topics, so there's less chance to get a true feel for how JK feels about things.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 17:49
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
Quote:
RodneyRegis

No, why should he be?

Just a question chap.

Mr_B (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 18:04
In 30+ years in business if I'd resigned every time I fundamentally disagreed with direction the company was taking or key decisions from my boss I'd have had a new job every year. It's just not practical or realistic to do especially in the sports coaching business. I have more respect for people who stay and try to make things work then those who will bale every time they disagree with something or things get hard.

Cookie (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 18:41
Quote:
Mr_B
In 30+ years in business if I'd resigned every time I fundamentally disagreed with direction the company was taking or key decisions from my boss I'd have had a new job every year. It's just not practical or realistic to do especially in the sports coaching business. I have more respect for people who stay and try to make things work then those who will bale every time they disagree with something or things get hard.

Depends how senior you are and how much your job directly related to the strategies of the club/business and it's immediate and long term success. I would suggest there were probably only 1 or 2 of us out of several hundred who should have felt that responsibility. With all due respect to them, I wouldn't expect one of the shop assistants at Quins to feel the need to take the same action I did at my company.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net