rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Archie White Re-signs and Josh McNulty signs
T-Bone (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 10:11
Harlequins is excited to announce today (Friday 21st April) that second year Academy Member Archie White has re-signed, while Gloucester Academy prop, Josh McNulty, will join the Club from the 2017/18 season.

Confirming the news, Harlequins Director of Rugby, John Kingston said: “We have been looking out for a young tighthead prop who we believe can be moulded into a quality Premiership player one day and we feel that Josh possesses the attributes for that to happen.

“Under the outstanding coaching skills of Graham Rowntree and Adam Jones, I am sure Josh will make the necessary strides.

“I am also delighted to have extended Archie White's contract by a further year.

“He is a talented back row forward who has had a tough time with injuries this season. I hope he will be able to follow in the footsteps of many outstanding back row forwards that this Club has developed over recent years."

Joining the Harlequins Academy in 2015, White has made three senior appearances for the Club, and also played in the historic fixture against the Maori All Blacks earlier in the season.

The former Harlequins U18s and Epsom College captain represented his country at U20 level during the 2016 Six Nations.

“I am really happy about re-signing and I am looking forward to pushing on next season and gaining as much experience as I can to help my development,” White said.

“Next year will be very exciting and I am already looking forward to it.”

Tighthead prop McNulty, formerly of Coventry and Worcester Warriors, will join from Gloucester Rugby. The 23 year-old has made four senior appearances for the Cherry and Whites across the European Challenge Cup and the Anglo-Welsh Cup since his debut in December 2015.

Player profiles
Archie White
D.O.B: 05/08/1997
Height: 6’ 2”
Weight: 104kg
Position: Flanker

Josh McNulty
D.O.B: 24/03/1994
Height: 6’ 2”
Weight: 120kg
Position: Tighthead prop

Re: Archie White Re-signs and Josh McNulty signs
T-Bone (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 10:12
Aren't academy contracts 3 years? Don't quite understand the re-signing bit.

Don't know this McNulty bloke

Cookie (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 10:15
23 feels old for someone joining the acadamy. And we're his 4th club.......

T-Bone (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 10:20
I don't think he's joining our academy, but agree that it doesn't look that great that we're his 4th club at 23, though I guess he may have been DR with Coventry and Wuss

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 10:29
So we will have Sinck, Collier, Swainston, Jones, Josh and Mcnulty. 6 THs ( I know Jones is helping to coach but I am sure he will still be involved in playing)

akb1 (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 10:41
Quote:
Josh and Mcnulty
Why do you have him as 2 separate people?

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 10:46
Quote:
akb1
Quote:
Josh and Mcnulty

They are... Josh Ibuanopke and Josh Mcnulty. I should have been clearer.

A quick google - Think he played at Coventry and then played for Worcester (played in the A league) I am not sure if he actually was officially in their Academy??. From there he went to Gloucs Academy. Has spent time DR at Rotherham and L Welsh.

West Stand Quin (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 11:25
I read an article in regard to football showing how clubs have players who don't really play 1st team but are needed for training as it's a team sport. Wonder if this applies to rugby, particularly with props as live scrummaging against different players must help development

akb1 (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 14:16
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Quote:
akb1
Quote:
Josh and Mcnulty

They are... Josh Ibuanopke and Josh Mcnulty. I should have been clearer.

A quick google - Think he played at Coventry and then played for Worcester (played in the A league) I am not sure if he actually was officially in their Academy??. From there he went to Gloucs Academy. Has spent time DR at Rotherham and L Welsh.

Ah ok, as his first name is Josh and for all the others you referred to them by their surname it confused me. I had forgotten about Ibuanopke.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 15:18
Quote:
West Stand Quin
I read an article in regard to football showing how clubs have players who don't really play 1st team but are needed for training as it's a team sport. Wonder if this applies to rugby, particularly with props as live scrummaging against different players must help development

That's a good point, and one I'd not thought of at all. Still, what do you gain from live scrummaging against a player who is well below your own standard? I don't know the answer, but surely Sinckler and Collier are only going to gain from scrummaging against Jones and maybe Swainston, but not players younger and less good than them

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 15:28
Don't think AP teams can afford the luxury of having training only props...

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 15:37
Assuming Marler and Sinckler will (hopefully) be away at times with England, and Jones is coaching, that only leaves three including an academy player. As we know all too well, it only takes an injury to leave us with the bare bones...

Kimbo (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 17:10
Just to clarify.
Josh was never a Cov squad player as is implied in the article. He (and his two brothers) were both part of Cov's Academy at Henley College in the city. He's a promising prop, however, and was snapped up by Wuss, and then moved on to Glaws. You are therefore his third actual club (as such), not fourth.

Incidentally, the Coventry Henley College Academy has now been stolen by W*sps. Surprise surprise. Hearts and minds? Pah.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net