rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Bothma/Catrikilis
Cookie (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 09:44
Bothams hasn't made the last 3 squads (not even the bench) for a struggling Bulls side in Super Rugby.

Catrikilis has played a total of 11 mins in 4 games in April while Montpellier scored 206 points.

Not sure whether to be pleased they'll be well rested or worried they've lost their form.

Re: Bothma/Catrikilis
talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 10:32
With Catrakilis I've got no idea if we're planning to use him as first choice or not so it's hard to know whether it's a concern or not that he's not playing much at the moment.

With Nev's departure confirmed, that leaves us with Catrakilis, Jackson and Swiel and I'm a bit concerned that none of them are nailed on starters. It's a position in which we need consistency so I hope there is a plan in place.

As for Bothma, I wasn't particularly excited by that signing in the first place, and with Ward now effectively a flanker, and with Luamanu starting to add the grunt that we wanted, I assume he's most likely coming in as a Naoupu replacement.

Ali_K (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 11:17
Bothma was suspended for 4 weeks up until the 15th april and since then the bulls have played 2 games and had one bye.

Dark Pies (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 11:20
Nev's performance on Friday and the win showed us what a difference it makes when your FH is on fire.

Hard to see where that creativity is coming from out of Swiel (good but not developed yet into the player we hope he is) Jackson (mostly mediocre) and Catrikilis (unknown but doesn't seem like a great undiscovered talent).

Will we open the chequebook for a star 10? I doubt it.

02 May, 2017 11:25
Quote:
Dark Pies
Nev's performance on Friday and the win showed us what a difference it makes when your FH is on fire.
Hard to see where that creativity is coming from out of Swiel (good but not developed yet into the player we hope he is) Jackson (mostly mediocre) and Catrikilis (unknown but doesn't seem like a great undiscovered talent).

Will we open the chequebook for a star 10? I doubt it.

I suspect we must have told Catrakilis he'll be our first choice (or at least sold it to him that way) otherwise I'm not sure why he'd come across to sit on a different bench.

That said, there were rumours around Jackson leaving for Sale, and as you say Swiel has a long way to go, so perhaps we genuinely did think Evans would go another year meaning we now have to find a replacement?

But I doubt it as well, and even if we did want a star 10, who would we be able to get at this stage?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 11:30
Erm as someone says, Bothma was suspended -- so it would have been quite something if he'd been picked for the last 3 games.

Catrakalis meanwhile remains an unknown quantity -- but JK did say in his interview that while we may not know who these two are that they will both turn out to be stars....so let's see.

I can't see that Catrakalis has been signed as anything other than our starting 10.

DOK (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 11:52
Do we need a star 10? I thought Nev was possibly going to coach the players we have to be star 10s?

02 May, 2017 12:20
Quote:
DOK
Do we need a star 10? I thought Nev was possibly going to coach the players we have to be star 10s?

True and I'd be equally as happy for that approach than splashing the cash to find a ready made fly half (provided we use the money wisely elsewhere).

But if we don't have a 'star' 10 then we certainly need a 10 who consistently starts rather than rotating between 3 as we do at the moment.

dr_miles (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 13:06
One of the reasons for the constant rotation at 10 has been NEv's fitness - he plays when fit, but has frequently been injured. That said, none of the others have put a convincing case to stay ahead of him when he has come back.

Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 13:18
I'd argue that our good run at home earlier in the season and Europe were with Swiel at the helm and we looked good. He can't be blamed for all of the away defeats alone and did play well in a few of them. Our form got more patchy when (an injured) NEV and (a mediocre) Jackson started coming into the side.

Stick with Swiel and I think he'll deliver but if Catrakilis does deliver then that'll be a good thing as well.

Cookie (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 13:46
Quote:
blucherquin
Erm as someone says, Bothma was suspended -- so it would have been quite something if he'd been picked for the last 3 games.

He was available for 2 of them!

PeterboroughQuin (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 13:50
JK on Bothma signing

“He chose Harlequins over other options around the world and his signing is a major statement of where we want to take this great club over the coming years.”

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 15:11
Quote:
blucherquin
Catrakalis meanwhile remains an unknown quantity -- but JK did say in his interview that while we may not know who these two are that they will both turn out to be stars....so let's see.

I can't see that Catrakalis has been signed as anything other than our starting 10.

What do you mean when you say he remains an unknown quantity?

Cookie (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 16:11
I wouldn't say he was an unknown quantity. But Catrikilis seems to now be 3rd choice (he was a frequent starter earlier in the season) and Bothma can't get back in the side. Somewhat worrying.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 16:43
Maybe Montpellier are trying other options now they know he is leaving (likewise the Bulls)

Cookie (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 17:16
Unlikely. They're 3rd and in a fight for a home semi.

Seems more the case that they're scoring points for fun with their other options.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 17:56
Catrakilis picked up an ankle injury at the end of February and they signed Willie du Plessis as injury cover on a short term contract. So, er, you know.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Cookie (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 19:08
Quote:
Jammy Git
Catrakilis picked up an ankle injury at the end of February and they signed Willie du Plessis as injury cover on a short term contract. So, er, you know.

#knowledge

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 19:30
#googleskills, really! But yeah, I wouldn't read much into his absence. He's been a regular starter up until the ankle injury, and those take a bit of coming back from.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 20:12
Plus he managed to keep Botica out of their team (I think)!!

Cookie (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 21:21
Quote:
HonkyTonk

Botica's been at Oyannax since January on loan.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 21:32
Quote:
Banstead Quin
I'd argue that our good run at home earlier in the season and Europe were with Swiel at the helm and we looked good. He can't be blamed for all of the away defeats alone and did play well in a few of them. Our form got more patchy when (an injured) NEV and (a mediocre) Jackson started coming into the side.
Stick with Swiel and I think he'll deliver but if Catrakilis does deliver then that'll be a good thing as well.

Swiel has looked a pretty good option when he gets a run of games. Very good from the tee, nice passer of the ball and definitely has the pace that NEv once had. I think he shows a lot of promise.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 21:34
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
HonkyTonk

Botica's been at Oyannax since January on loan.

I know, because he could not get in the team!!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 09:41
Quote:
Adi Nako
Quote:
blucherquin

I guess I mean that we've been told he's got great potential and I've been unable to see enough or know enough to work out if that's true or not. If someone's not being picked in a certain side but a coach feels he can turn him into a great player...it's kind of hard to argue against it until you see how it unfolds.....

Basically I'm hoping that JK is right and we've signed a good one.

Fursty (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 11:34
Catrakalis has played 40 odd games and (started a majority of them) for Montpelier over 2 years and previously he's been a starting Super Rugby 10.

I don't think he's a bad signing at all.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 12:50
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Adi Nako
Quote:
blucherquin

I guess I mean that we've been told he's got great potential and I've been unable to see enough or know enough to work out if that's true or not. If someone's not being picked in a certain side but a coach feels he can turn him into a great player...it's kind of hard to argue against it until you see how it unfolds.....

Basically I'm hoping that JK is right and we've signed a good one.

Fair enough. I thought that he was a fairly well known fly half, as mentioned above, having played a major role in Montpelliers recent (relative) success. He's not really unknown in the sense that you know you are going to get top class kicking (tactical and place) the game management that comes with that, whilst not exactly getting the ball in hand threat that you get with someone like Nev or Tim "mispass" Swiel.

03 May, 2017 15:30
That's my understanding of Catraklis as well Adi. Good tactical 10 if maybe not the second coming of Nev that we all seem to crave.

If that's the case and that's a deliberate move by JK towards a different style then sounds good to me as a bit of composure from 10 is never a bad thing and we can always bring on Swiel if we decide we need some miss-passes.

We'll need to dramatically work on our kick chase though, and also make sure that we are better at taking advantage of attacking line-outs, otherwise the benefits of such a player will be diminished somewhat.

Cookie (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 09:33
Bothma was left out by the Bulls again last weekend after starting due to injury in the 24-62 home loss to the Crusaders.

However, he will captain Namibia in the Nations Cup in Uruguay from 10-18 June.

Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 10:22
Well, we do love an injury at Quins!!!

He'll be fine when he arrives and gets some pre-season in and probably by the autumn international window, he'll be ready.

Hoping Catrakillis gets some game time pre season as haven't really seen enough of him but he has a bit longer to bed in as Swiel probably will/should start the season.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net