rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Francis Saili
Ayerza wannabe (IP Logged)
06 May, 2017 12:46
Sounds like you are leading the chase for him.

[www.independent.ie]

Re: Francis Saili
Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
06 May, 2017 12:51
Quote:
Irish Independent
...several English clubs are interested in signing the All Black centre but Harlequins lead the chase for Saili who is out of contract at the end of the season. Harlequins are keen to find a replacement for Welsh international Jamie Roberts as he is likely to leave the Premiership side next month.
[www.independent.ie]

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
06 May, 2017 12:53
Not bad, if true!

Cookie (IP Logged)
06 May, 2017 12:54
Would be an incredible signing. He's the nuts.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
06 May, 2017 13:14
A final crisis!

joebe99 (IP Logged)
06 May, 2017 13:49
[youtu.be]

Nice

Almost quin (IP Logged)
06 May, 2017 14:31
Umm I'm pretty sure Roberts has said he is with us for next season so not sure where they get that he is leavng next month

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
06 May, 2017 15:37
Quote:
Almost quin
Umm I'm pretty sure Roberts has said he is with us for next season so not sure where they get that he is leavng next month

He may be under contract, but it wouldn't be the first time someone's said they're hanging around to subsequently leave.

DOK (IP Logged)
06 May, 2017 15:53
Roberts has only pulled his finger out when the question of his staying next season came up. Either he needs to convince us to keep him or convince his next club to buy him.

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
06 May, 2017 15:56
We need centres regardless of whether Roberts stays or not. I'd be very happy with Saili. He'd suit us well and, at 26, his best years could be to come.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
06 May, 2017 17:47
I hate to say it, but may have more to do with Lowe/Sloan's availability than Roberts',if it happens...

Quins4life (IP Logged)
06 May, 2017 18:20
Roberts seemingly confirming on twitter he'll be playing his rugby at the stoop next season....

[twitter.com]

"Celebrating a loss is weird....@ChampionsCup rugby next season with the @Harlequins Brothers....stoked"

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
06 May, 2017 18:22
Saw the Twitter post on the wrap up on BT1 - hopefully he can finish off with Quins in style.

Almost quin (IP Logged)
06 May, 2017 19:45
Yes as said before not sure where this he is leaving in a month has come from as he has stated several times now he expects to be at Quins next season.
I do wonder if we may have to face a hard truth about Lowe and realise he is never going to be a regular player also not sure about Sloan with his injury

Almost quin (IP Logged)
06 May, 2017 20:37
How good is Francis as Munster had their 12 and 13 in the pro team of the year and he was neither

Quins4life (IP Logged)
06 May, 2017 20:39
Quote:
Almost quin
How good is Francis as Munster had their 12 and 13 in the pro team of the year and he was neither

I believe he has only recently come back from a serious long-term injury so has only been playing in the latter half of the season

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
07 May, 2017 09:12
Quote:
Quins4life
Quote:
Almost quin

I believe he has only recently come back from a serious long-term injury so has only been playing in the latter half of the season

This. He was injured for a while and Taute and Scannell were playing too well to justify being dropped. When he has played he's looked good. He scored a great try vs. Ulster a few weeks back.

He's good enough to have been capped by the ABs so that's good enough for me. I hope it comes off. It's a strange feeling to be excited about a possible signing!

Monte (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 05:21
More on Saili joining us this morning in TRP by Fissler and that Jamie Roberts is reviewing his options and likely to be returning to Wales. Also Mark Reddish maybe returning to Oz.
Quotes sources from the Stoop we clearly have a leak!

Samquin (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 07:38
What has gone wrong with Reddish?

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 07:41
Guessing his concussion must be bad. The article states he is thinking about calling it a day

DOK (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 08:03
Well I'm now thinking it will be a shame if Roberts goes. He was pretty invisible when he first came here but either he's got stuck in or adapted to working with the team, but he really put in the work at the end of the season. However if he does go it will free up a chunk of money.

Andrew_quins (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 11:14
If Roberts goes, alongside Nev leaving then that is a heck of a wedge freed up.

Maybe both Saili and Fekitoa can come in to be our midfield. It looks like Marchant will be away with the England squad more and more we could do with a settled partnership alongside Catrikalis.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 11:24
How many big name signings have we been linked with over the past couple of seasons, and how many have ended up at Quins? Cips, cruden, Williams...will believe in the saili and fekitoa rumours when I see an announcement on the offy.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 11:29
Quote:
RodneyRegis
How many big name signings have we been linked with over the past couple of seasons, and how many have ended up at Quins? Cips, cruden, Williams...will believe in the saili and fekitoa rumours when I see an announcement on the offy.

As far as I was concerned, only Cipriani ever had weight about it. I don't remember being linked with Cruden, all I remember is that we signed Catrakilis as Montpellier had signed Cruden. Williams never seemed likely at all. The only reasonably strong rumour that I consider to have fallen through this season is Woodward but I may well be missing things. Salili and Fekitoa also seems fairly reasonable, but they haven't been confirmed either way yet.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 11:40
My point is that fissler pretty much links every player out of contract with every club looking for somebody in that position. What was it marler called him?

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 11:45
To be fair to Fissler he does get some right. He called Catrakilis, Swainston, Boyce, Leiws and Bothma all to Quins (Plus Hopper leaving).

SiBolton (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 14:15
Quote:
RodneyRegis

He did get Big Kev, Roberts, Bothma , Alofa and Catrakalis right, and to be fair also said Cips was in the running but Wasps is where he would end up, so it's not like he doesn't get a good few spot on

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 16:09
It's also a rumour mill - so as close as he can get, and with the info - there are always other possible options - timings and contracts change quickly and until it is a done deal, it isn't....
I think Fissler gets way more right than he gets wrong and i think the amount of truth in the wrong ones is bang on, just it didn't pan out.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 17:25
Regarging Sloan. His injury is ACL isnt it? Robshaw had one of those early in his career & was out for a whole season (if memory is still intact). he turned out OK. I like what I've seen of Sloan so far, he & Marchant working together might be very interesting. Would like to see those two really make it work.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 19:32
It's a real shame Sloan has missed the season, as he was putting in some fantastic performances. He went from a liability to a rock in defence in what was his first full senior season. Still only 22. High hopes.

Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 09:48
So Sloan & Marchant could be the new JTH & G-Lowe circa 2011/12? That would be great and hopefully more than one decent season before injuries/loss of form.

Babs (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 08:29
Frankie is an amazing player. Wish we could keep both him and Tauto. If he does end up at The Stoop I'd make the effort to pop in more often.
Cracking player.
Cracking bloke.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 21:16
Saili's departure was confirmed today. No announcement yet on the club he's signed for as far as I can see.

harryquins (IP Logged)
20 May, 2017 09:57
Irish Times seem to think he is joining us

'it now looks like the New Zealand who played 38-time for Munster over two seasons, scoring eight tries, will join Aviva Premiership club Harlequins.'

[www.irishtimes.com]

Cookie (IP Logged)
20 May, 2017 10:42
For what it's worth, mate of mine is from Mallow and has friends who are Saili's neighbours. He's told them he's signed for us.

harryquins (IP Logged)
20 May, 2017 10:48
So hopefully an announcement in the new few days then?

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
20 May, 2017 12:05
Fingers crossed. A signing I am actually excited about is a strange feeling ...

Quintastic. (IP Logged)
20 May, 2017 18:17
Scored for munster in their semi tonight

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
21 May, 2017 08:20
Quote:
Cookie
For what it's worth, mate of mine is from Mallow and has friends who are Saili's neighbours. He's told them he's signed for us.

That's a brilliant connection.

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
21 May, 2017 15:36
Quote:
Quintastic.
Scored for munster in their semi tonight

MoM too I think?

New Forest Quin (IP Logged)
21 May, 2017 17:00
The commentators were quite critical of his defence which will make him a perfect signing.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
21 May, 2017 18:48
Quote:
New Forest Quin
The commentators were quite critical of his defence which will make him a perfect signing.

That's unfair. Some posters on here will give him at least 15 minutes of playing time before they decide he has to go.

Cookie (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 08:07
Quote:
Adi Nako
Quote:
Cookie

There was always going to be one.........

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 17:33
Quote:
New Forest Quin

Now now Michael, behave yourself.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 20:46
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Adi Nako
Quote:
Cookie

There was always going to be one.........

I should clarify, I wasn't being sarcastic.

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 19:37
Anyone know the latest on this?

A sniff of a signing I got excited about and then nothing ...

poorfour (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 20:44
I don't know if he is coming, but he didn't have a great game against the Scarlets. That said, he may fit better into the Quins system.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 08:41
Quote:
poorfour
I don't know if he is coming, but he didn't have a great game against the Scarlets. That said, he may fit better into the Quins system.

Not one Munster player played well in that game, and they were looking to Saili to do it on his own for most of the game.

I think him and Marchant could be a great combo, but as others have said it would presumably mean Roberts moving on.

Cookie (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 08:56
That would mean him shifting from 13 to 12. Will be interesting to see if that's how we see him (if he comes, of course!).

31 May, 2017 09:15
Quote:
Cookie
That would mean him shifting from 13 to 12. Will be interesting to see if that's how we see him (if he comes, of course!).

True, but it looks like Munster use him in a similar way to a traditional 12. Would be odd to spend what would presumably be quite big money on a player to compete with Marchant, particularly as it's unlikely Marchant will be making the step up full time to the England squad this season.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 10:54
It's Official!

ALL BLACK FRANCIS SAILI JOINS HARLEQUINS
Wednesday, 21st June 2017 @ 12:00

HARLEQUINS IS EXCITED TO CONFIRM TODAY (WEDNESDAY 21ST JUNE) THAT ALL BLACK FRANCIS SAILI HAS JOINED THE CLUB.

Commenting on the news Harlequins Director of Rugby, John Kingston, said: “I am absolutely delighted to confirm that Francis is joining Harlequins on a long-term contract.

“He is a high class, quality player who is comfortable at either 12 or 13.

“Alongside his obvious talent, he will help balance the squad further by being available for us all season, which is just as important, given our ambitions as a club.

“Francis is an extremely exciting signing who I know our fans will really enjoy watching.”

Saili, 26, joins Harlequins from Pro12 side Munster Rugby, spending two seasons in the Province after three years playing for the Blues in Super Rugby.

In 2013, Saili was capped twice by the All Blacks, debuting against Argentina in the Rugby Championship before facing Japan in Tokyo. He also represented the Barbarians in 2014, in a match against Australia at Twickenham Stadium.

Saili was part of the victorious New Zealand side that won the 2011 U20s Junior World Championship. He started in the final against England playing alongside Brodie Retallick, Sam Cane, TJ Perenara, Charles Piutau and Beauden Barrett.

After representing Auckland in provincial rugby, Saili made his Super Rugby debut for the Blues in 2012. In his three seasons with the Blues, he scored seven tries in 42 appearances.

A move to Munster followed in 2015 where Saili's nine tries in 40 appearances helped the Province to the 2016/17 Pro12 Final after finishing top of the standings in the regular season.

He is a pacy and exciting centre, with exceptional running skills and a deceptive step. The utility back also has the ability to operate on the wing.

Saili added: “It’s been a privilege of mine to be part of Munster Rugby for the last two seasons, however, the opportunity that lies ahead to be a part of a prestigious club like Harlequins is a great honour.

“I’m looking forward to a new challenge in the Premiership under the direction of the coaches and alongside my new team. Harlequins has a rich heritage and strong tradition and I look forward to being part of an ongoing legacy which the Club continues to uphold.

“From my first conversation with John Kingston there was the reassurance needed for my partner and I that the move to Harlequins would be the step in the right direction going forward for my career overseas. I believe the influence of Harlequins as an organisation will continue to grow and improve my game.”

The 26-year-old joins Demetri Catrakilis, Renaldo Bothma, Dave Lewis, Phil Swainston, Lewis Boyce and Josh McNulty as Harlequins' new recruits for the 2017/18 season.

Player profile
Francis Saili
Position: Centre
D.O.B: 16/02/91
Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 99 kg
International Honours: New Zealand (2)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/06/2017 10:55 by Fearless Fred.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 11:00
Wooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooooooo

Quality player, won't lose him to international duty, finally we might be able to build a consistent line up in the backs.

Quins4life (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 11:00
Great signing, lets hope he is the first of a few more signing to be announced!

21 June, 2017 11:01
Great signing.

Presumably this means the good doctor is on the way? Should still leave quite a bit of salary cap to supplement this signing.

Rocker (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 12:00
Good signing.(Sm152)

It must mean that unless someone is moving on we can't have been spending up to the celery cap last year though.

Navyquin (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 12:04
Quote:
Rocker
Good signing.(Sm152)
It must mean that unless someone is moving on we can't have been spending up to the celery cap last year though.

I would have thought Nevs retiring would have freed up space and the others who have left, although not saying we were spending up to the cap

blucherquin (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 12:08
Quote:
RodneyRegis

And the other disciples told Rodney "he's going to sign".

But he said to them "unless I see it on the offy, I will not believe".

A month later, the disciples were posting about the signing and Rodders was there. And it was posted on the offy and the offy said to Rodders "read the press release mate, he's signed".

And Rodders read the press release, and he believed.

[www.quins.co.uk]

T-Bone (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 12:30
Good news.

Not sure it necessarily means Roberts is off as we have freed up cash from Nev retiring, and with Hopper off we were down a centre anyway.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 12:55
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
RodneyRegis

And the other disciples told Rodney "he's going to sign".

But he said to them "unless I see it on the offy, I will not believe".

A month later, the disciples were posting about the signing and Rodders was there. And it was posted on the offy and the offy said to Rodders "read the press release mate, he's signed".

And Rodders read the press release, and he believed.

[www.quins.co.uk]
Peace be with you, my child.

21 June, 2017 13:19
Quote:
T-Bone
Good news.
Not sure it necessarily means Roberts is off as we have freed up cash from Nev retiring, and with Hopper off we were down a centre anyway.

I was more thinking that they are relatively similar, therefore it's unlikely we'd see them playing together too often, and you'd imagine we wouldn't want a player sitting on the bench too much on the money they are both likely to be on.

Having said that, at centre we currently only have Saili, Roberts, Marchant, Lowe and Sloan. I suppose technically we also have Alofa and Stanley, but I don't think any of us want to see them starting too many matches in the centres.

If Roberts did leave, would we therefore need another centre? I'm still not sure we can rely on Lowe, and Sloan is coming back from a long period out.

Anyway...enough warbling. I'm glad we've signed Saili.

dr_miles (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 13:59
Good news.

DazzaS (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 14:17
The impression I am getting is Kingston sees Roberts as one of those players not at the club for the right reason and does not "bleed Quins" in a manner of speaking. To be honest Quins does seem to be low on his priority list. He came to use to finish his PHD, wanted to be at Wales whenever he wanted even if not in the RFU time window and I get the impression from him that he was doing us a favour by being here not that we did him a favour by agreeing to his requests. It could be the wrong impression I am getting but that is what comes across to me.

PQ2 (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 14:18
Quote:
dr_miles
Good news.

- What, that we've signed Saili or that talkshowhost86 has stopped warbling? (Sm100)

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 15:40
Quote:
DazzaS
The impression I am getting is Kingston sees Roberts as one of those players not at the club for the right reason and does not "bleed Quins" in a manner of speaking. To be honest Quins does seem to be low on his priority list. He came to use to finish his PHD, wanted to be at Wales whenever he wanted even if not in the RFU time window and I get the impression from him that he was doing us a favour by being here not that we did him a favour by agreeing to his requests. It could be the wrong impression I am getting but that is what comes across to me.

I would have agreed with you right up until the last few games of the season when he seemed to show a lot more passion.

Quinning (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 15:50
Quote:
DazzaS

The pinnacle was when Yarde was injured on a TV game and Roberts a day later took to Twitter to ask "what was wrong with him", the sooner Quins are done the with the freeloader the better

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 15:46
Off with his head

You really want to bin someone off because of something they posted on twitter???

Quinning (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 16:01
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Off with his head
You really want to bin someone off because of something they posted on twitter???

Well I'd opt for binning him for the ridiculous salary, lack of commitment and with a deal that seems to allow him to turn up if he can bothered personally.

I do find it odd other players acknowledge the club a lot more on social media than him yes. He's never given the impression of really caring about what he's signed up for - in my humble opinion at least!

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 15:57
I understand where you are coming from , but at the end of the day who really cares about something like twitter??? I guess we may even have a few players who are not on it!!

Quinning (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 16:23
Quote:
HonkyTonk
I understand where you are coming from , but at the end of the day who really cares about something like twitter??? I guess we may even have a few players who are not on it!!

Oh most definetly - god I think the world would be better without the stuff! It's just one of those things where you notice the complete lack of anything compared to the others. When you look at how the other "star" names seem to be a lot more vocal about Quins he seems quiet.

The whole transfer seemed like a luxury signing that frankly wasn't needed or offered any "value above replacement" - take an average big lump that falls over and runs straight lines and compare to Roberts - I can't see where the extra salary / generous employment terms are being justified.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 16:51
I know there are been many debates about how useful Roberts has been. Myself, I expected more from him. Watching Teo play for the Lions, that is the kind of things I hoped from Roberts, lots of line breaks. He has not done bad, but for an experienced international Lion I expected more than just ok.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 22:42
A very lazy signing in my opinion.

Dark Pies (IP Logged)
22 June, 2017 08:34
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
I would have agreed with you right up until the last few games of the season when he seemed to show a lot more passion.

I'd literally never seen Roberts excited about anything Quins related until the 'win' against Saints at the end of the season for the Champs Cup place. He was overjoyed at the end of the match (while the rest of the guys were a bit disappointed not to actually win the match) and took to twitter to say how thrilled he was to be playing in the top tier next season....a rare mention of Quins in his social posts.

Distinct impression he's not that interested unless its a glamour game with an opportunity for self-aggrandisement.....

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
22 June, 2017 08:39
Regarding the comments on Doctor R, totally agree but it must be hard to judge a players committment. But looking back he always seemed to have had Wales and his future profession as the priorities.

Did buck up at the end of the season but obviously wanted to get on the Lions.

All in all a disappointing signing again in the centres.

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
23 June, 2017 19:46
Quote:
He was overjoyed at the end of the match (while the rest of the guys were a bit disappointed not to actually win the match...

So, he's got a bit more up top than the others and can see the bigger picture (which frankly wasn't difficult). I'm glad they're not all doctors.

BB

blucherquin (IP Logged)
23 June, 2017 20:25
Do we have to have the Roberts thread again?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net