Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from GoogleQuins Official SiteDiamond Geezers Website

Coach Travel Details | Join Quinssa!
Next Coach: Next season
Tickets: Quins

www CAW

The Quins style
Closer & Closer (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 08:53
Too frequently the coaches and players talk in various ways about the Quins style and this season JK has been quoted as changing the way we play.

I would have defined it as the way we played when we won the Premiership.....good defence (started or honed by Deano), good support to the ball carrier (only seen again in the last few games), good kicking out of hand (fallen off in the last couple of seasons, better recently), strong running out of defence (again back three especially Browny better in last few games).

All these are dependent on players input and willingness to work very hard.....again this has only been in evidence in odd games and recently.

A couple of seasons ago in a pre match piece on BT Sarries players said something like they knew we would run the ball from anywhere and they relied on us "making mistakes" and turning over the ball. I admire our attacking style but it has to be tempered sometimes.

I just hope with the new squad we start 17/18 in a pragmatic approach till we can establish the basics before opening up.

Re: The Quins style
DOK (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 09:08
Yes, I think when it's done right against the right opposition then the Quins way (as defined above) is unstoppable. It's perhaps something to pull out when teams are tiring and defences are more permeable. Unfortunately I think for some teams you just have to play percentage rugby, even if it's not very exciting to watch. Our game against Saracens was different because we just threw ourselves into winning the breakdown, and maybe that is an area we could play like that on a more regular basis.

Cookie (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 09:49
You have two main options of attack.

1. Run it from anywhere, keeping the ball in hand, changing the point of attack, dummy runners etc. This is what we've been so good at before, but we got found out. It also needs high levels of fitness, something that's been discussed as a concern.

2. Play a kicking game for territory and pressurise forcing mistakes.

Ideally you will mix them up and do a bit of both. The problem is our kick chase has probably overtaken defence as the weakest part of our game.

Catrikilis is known to control games with his tactical kicking, so I expect we'll move a little more to that type of game. But we sure as hell had better work on our kick chase over the summer and pre-season.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 11:24
We've not done the run from anywhere thing for a while now.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 12:38
I was alarmed at how easily we were turned over at the breakdown on Saturday a number of times we committed no one to our attacking rucks. Saints targeted this area by defending in 3s. Our of loading game would have worked if we won this area. Thought we kicked quite well and could see that Yarde has move to the chaser role (left vacant after Ugo) supported by a flat D line.

Our commitment in D was very good.

Plenty to work on but it is getting better, I just hope we dont get off to a slow start next season and when we do lose we get more losing BPs a few more we'd be comfortable 6th pushing 5th.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 13:41
One of the things that made our Premiership winning season was "flooding the channel" to tie in defenders to create the space out wide. It's gone out of fashion because it was used so much that defences were set to defend that against us most of the time. We should be looking to use it as a tactic again, but as a part of a more rounded game (Kick-chase, running from deep, etc).

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 14:03
Quote:
Roaming Quin
I was alarmed at how easily we were turned over at the breakdown on Saturday a number of times we committed no one to our attacking rucks. Saints targeted this area by defending in 3s. Our of loading game would have worked if we won this area. Thought we kicked quite well and could see that Yarde has move to the chaser role (left vacant after Ugo) supported by a flat D line.
Our commitment in D was very good.

Plenty to work on but it is getting better, I just hope we dont get off to a slow start next season and when we do lose we get more losing BPs a few more we'd be comfortable 6th pushing 5th.

I agree with this fully. A few times I found myself screaming at the telly when our players would stand off rucks and Saints stole the ball uncontested. It was pretty apparent that it was going to happen on each occasion - if we have a strategy of committing minimal ruck support then that's fine, but it's high-risk and we need to be able to recognise when the ball is in danger of being turned over and adapt on the hoof.

The same goes for the ball carrier - Visser should have attempted to offload from the floor when he was turned over after Swiel's break. It would have been low-percentage, but surely better than meakly coughing up the ball.

Definitely something to work on during the off-season.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 16:03
Part of that was poor danger recognition by nearby forwards, and Karl being a little bit slow to react.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 16:09
Quote:
Fearless Fred
One of the things that made our Premiership winning season was "flooding the channel" to tie in defenders to create the space out wide. It's gone out of fashion because it was used so much that defences were set to defend that against us most of the time. We should be looking to use it as a tactic again, but as a part of a more rounded game (Kick-chase, running from deep, etc).

The key to this is the return of Clifford or Chisholm the Larger - their running and handling abilities alongside Matt Luamanu would enable this and open up the field for Roberts/Sloan and Marchant to run off them - perhaps even pass to Marland so he can run in some space!

Mayor West (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 08:18
Re Visser turnover , Once the ball has touched the ground in a tackle/ruck are you allowed to pass it or pop it up? I only say this because in a game where somebody did this the ref gave a penalty for hands in the ruck.

Cookie (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 09:52
Depends whether the ball carrier is held and/or if he's released the ball. If he's held in a tackle he has to let it go. If he's not and if no ruck is formed, he can hold the ball and then pop it up.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 11:12
I don't think we should get too bogged down in trying to recreate 'The' Quins style, but I'd like us to have something that we can point to as any sort of Quins style.

This season has been hugely disjointed and at no point have we really looked like we are playing a certain way, or in fact that we have any plan whatsoever. Sometimes we chuck it about. Sometimes we go up the middle or enter into our terrible kick-chase game. Whilst I understand you need to mix it up to prevent being predictable, it helps if you at least have a base-game to return to if it isn't working (which is something Exeter and Sarries do brilliantly).

The same has been true in defence. Sometimes we try rush-defence but often not all at once and not for a prolonged period. And our kick-chase issues rear their heads here as well as if (when) we don't win the ball, we never seem to be organised well enough to react.

I'm hoping that this is largely because of a disjointed season in terms of injuries etc, plus the fact that JK wasn't given enough time to bring in players that might suit whatever system he was trying to implement.

Hopefully we get our squad in place in the next month or two, and then we've got a whole pre-season to try and imprint some form of style and character on the team that can then be implemented regardless of the personnel available.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 12:54
Being able to adapt to what's in front of you and to be able to impose structure to a game plan would be nice...

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 16:57
I'd love it if we copied the Saracens style.

InsertQuinsPunHere (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 13:20
What, winning?!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Harlequins Poll

Is a poll here a stupid idea?

See results > Submit >>