rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Laidlaw the Lion
Quinoids (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 14:53
Congratulations to him.

But I don't get how he's gone over DC or even Gareth Davies.

Re: Laidlaw the Lion
Adi Nako (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 15:19
Personally I would have taken him over Youngs in the first place. Great midweek captain I think.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 15:40
Fair enough pick over DC.

I suspect DC is next in line given greater experience than the Irish and Welsh back ups, and offering something different, but who knows. Could be a bolter like Robson, if anyone is needed at all, obviously.

Cookie (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 15:58
He would have been in the original squad if he hadn't been injured since Feb. Class act.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 16:01
Not sure he's that good - he's pretty slow, his service isn't great - but he has a fine kicking game and that appears to be the angle Gatland's going for. Will be a good leadership asset in NZ too.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 16:13
And increases Scotland's contribution, after the flack he got...

thomh (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 19:33
Quote:
Adi Nako
Personally I would have taken him over Youngs in the first place. Great midweek captain I think.

I see talk about "midweek captains" etc quite a lot but does reality really bear it out? There are 10 games of which 3 are tests. The first three are spent giving everyone a game and trying some combos. It's only really game 5 where the bulk of the first test team comes together, after which there are only a couple of midweek games left anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong but my recollection is that when the tour captain isn't playing, the captaincy has tended to be handed round a few players rather than there being a "midweek captain".

...and this all presumes that you see the on-field captaincy as massively important anyway.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 19:41
Quote:
thomh
Quote:
Adi Nako

I see talk about "midweek captains" etc quite a lot but does reality really bear it out? There are 10 games of which 3 are tests. The first three are spent giving everyone a game and trying some combos. It's only really game 5 where the bulk of the first test team comes together, after which there are only a couple of midweek games left anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong but my recollection is that when the tour captain isn't playing, the captaincy has tended to be handed round a few players rather than there being a "midweek captain".

...and this all presumes that you see the on-field captaincy as massively important anyway.

All I mean is that I think he would make a good captain for a non-test game, not necessarily a nailed on official captain to cover all non-test games. I also think Robshaw would have made a great midweek captain for the record.

thomh (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 19:49
Well I don't disagree with that point at all - I'm just not convinced it should be a massive consideration. If a lions squad is short of players who can lead the side in a one-off game then something much bigger has gone wrong than the selection of third-choice scrum half.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net