Re: O/T RWC 2019 Draw
Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 08:24
Here's the final pools!

Pool A: Ireland, Scotland, Japan, Europe 1, Play Off Winner

Pool B: New Zealand, South Africa, Italy, Africa 1, Repechage Winner

Pool C: England, France, Argentina, America 1, Oceania 2

Pool D: Australia, Wales, Georgia, Oceania 1, Americas 2

So, Pool C is the Pool of death for England (again!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2017 08:26 by Fearless Fred.

Monte (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 08:27
Yes Kiwis get the easy pool again

Stooperman (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 08:27
Blimey, could they have made England's pool any tougher?

Pool A looks the weakest, but i guess the runner up gets NZ in the 1/4 final. Winner of pool A potentially has an easy run to the semis.

Dave L (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 08:31
And again we get the group of death! Still, we'll be nicely warmed up for the knock outs if we make it through having had 2 proper games. I'd say the Kiwis have got an easy pool, but any pool would be pretty straightforward for them.

Almost quin (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 08:32
Tough draw for England, wascskesys going to be the case but should get through

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 08:40
What's the repechage and what is the playoff?

Either way, ludicrously easy for New Zealand yet again, although maybe the Saffers will have sorted themselves out a bit by then.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 08:46
Not sure I would call it the group of death. France and Argentina, I would back us to win 8/9 times out of ten if I am honest. Its not as though either of them has home advantage over us. (TBH I would back us to beat anyone barring NZ right now). I only see England getting stronger before this next WC and think Jones overall plan will have us in top shape come the tournament.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2017 08:49 by HonkyTonk.

dr_miles (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 08:47
Not sure that I agree that NZ have an easy group, but then again how could they have had a harder group given the draw mechanism? Of the 2nd tier countries, SA are probably the toughest (assuming that they sort themselves out in the next 2 years), and Italy are second toughest in the third tier. Tiers 4 and 5 shouldn't trouble any of the top teams, so it's about as hard a group as they could have got given the seedings.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 08:59
Quote:
dr_miles
Not sure that I agree that NZ have an easy group, but then again how could they have had a harder group given the draw mechanism? Of the 2nd tier countries, SA are probably the toughest (assuming that they sort themselves out in the next 2 years), and Italy are second toughest in the third tier. Tiers 4 and 5 shouldn't trouble any of the top teams, so it's about as hard a group as they could have got given the seedings.

South Africa are probably the weakest of the top 8 at the moment, and based on how Italy played in the 6Ns, I'd say they must be close to being behind Georgia and Japan.

So if it happened tomorrow I think NZ have got a very easy group, particularly as they will also get Namibia plus whatever the repechage is, rather than a Pacific Island which would give them a bit more of a test.

But as ever with the stupidly advanced draw, nobody can really say as two years is a long time in rugby.

10 May, 2017 08:59
Looking at the pools, I'd back the top two in each pool to get through to the knockout stages from pools A, B & D without any real problems.

Argentina are nobody's mugs. They came 4th in 2015, easily beating Ireland in the QFs along the way, Quarterfinalists in 2011, came 3rd in 2007. France have always managed to get into the knockout stages, and in 2011 potentially could have won the thing if Joubert had called some decisions differently. It really is going to be how Los Pumas and Les Bleus develop over the next two years. Both have the ability to develop well. Argentina are basically playing most of their players in one team in Super Rugby, along with playing in the 4 Nations. That's got to help them. If Noves can push his team, they can beat most teams (So far he's only lost to England, Australia, and the All Blacks). Make no mistake about it, Pool C is the pool of death for one team...

Quins4life (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 09:04
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Looking at the pools, I'd back the top two in each pool to get through to the knockout stages from pools A, B & D without any real problems.
Argentina are nobody's mugs. They came 4th in 2015, easily beating Ireland in the QFs along the way, Quarterfinalists in 2011, came 3rd in 2007. France have always managed to get into the knockout stages, and in 2011 potentially could have won the thing if Joubert had called some decisions differently. It really is going to be how Los Pumas and Les Bleus develop over the next two years. Both have the ability to develop well. Argentina are basically playing most of their players in one team in Super Rugby, along with playing in the 4 Nations. That's got to help them. If Noves can push his team, they can beat most teams (So far he's only lost to England, Australia, and the All Blacks). Make no mistake about it, Pool C is the pool of death for one team...

Lets not forget how we develop too. This england team is only going to get better with time too. We beat Argentina with 14 men for 70 minutes and France playing some of our worst rugby since Eddie Jones took over. They will be tough but we would have been the team (with New Zealand) that the rest wanted to avoid.

10 May, 2017 09:16
Quote:
Quins4life
Quote:
Fearless Fred

Lets not forget how we develop too. This england team is only going to get better with time too. We beat Argentina with 14 men for 70 minutes and France playing some of our worst rugby since Eddie Jones took over. They will be tough but we would have been the team (with New Zealand) that the rest wanted to avoid.

Oh, I do believe that England are on the right path to being real contenders for the title in '19. I just think that we may have to do it the hard way, qualifying 2nd out of our Pool, depending on the way games pan out.

Mind you, Ireland and Scotland, after their initial jubilation at being in an easy pool, will just now be working out that whoever comes 1st in the group will be facing SA and whoever is 2nd facing NZ in the QFs. Not a nice prospect!

DOK (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 09:18
Well, England won't be "undercooked" when they get to the knock out stages!

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 09:36
There's a lot of water to pass under the bridge in the next 16 months

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 09:47
Quote:
talkshowhost86
What's the repechage and what is the playoff?

There's a very useful section on the Rugby World Cup website to explain this:

Rugby World Cup qualification

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2017 09:48 by NicoWilson.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 10:11
If Argentina can't pull themselves back together then I'm pretty happy with that.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 11:02
Hmmm, tough draw. Ireland are laughing. Long way off, so who knows how much Argentina and South Africa will improve in that time.

Japan in a home world cup will be tough but I guess this time being will prepare for them properly

RocQuin (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 11:11
Based on current form, I am pretty happy with that.

Cookie (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 11:25
If this means we avoid NZ until the final, then grand. Obviously there are challenging games and things will change between now and the tournament, but you can pretty much be rest assured NZ are going to be the team to beat.

DOK (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 11:37
On paper, certainly New Zealand are no 1. However, they've had trouble in the past not actually having a tough enough pool. Eddie is going to learn all he needs to know about them this summer, maybe he can spring a surprise.

10 May, 2017 12:15
Quote:
Cookie
If this means we avoid NZ until the final, then grand. Obviously there are challenging games and things will change between now and the tournament, but you can pretty much be rest assured NZ are going to be the team to beat.
Nope. The risk is that we could meet the All Blacks in the Semis. The winner of QF1 (Group A Winner vs Group B Runner Up) faces the winner of QF2 (Group C Winner vs Group D Runner Up), and The winner of QF3 (Group B Winner vs Group A Runner Up) faces the winner of QF4 (Group D Winner vs Group C Runner Up). The way it's organised, the only person you can't meet 'til the final is the other team that qualified from your own group (as we saw in 2007 and 2011).

Cookie (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 13:28
Where did you find that, FF? Couldn't find it anywhere so made the assumption (silly boy) it would work the same as last time.

10 May, 2017 14:04
Quote:
Cookie
Where did you find that, FF? Couldn't find it anywhere so made the assumption (silly boy) it would work the same as last time.

It looked at my programmes from RWC 2015. If you check out the fixtures from previous RWC's it matches up as well....

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 14:19
Not sure if Mick Cleary is the best source , but his Twitter backs that up

[twitter.com]

joethefanatic (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 03:23
Bear in mind that Oceania 2 is likely to be Samoa. The order and spacing of the games in Pool C is going to be critical. If England can avoid too many injuries then maybe...

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 14:24
I would have thought they would have tried to keep the top 2 seeds apart till the final, assuming they both win their groups but we might get a better chance in the semi, as they will be heavy favourites .

Just have to win all of our games and not screw it up in the group.

I think Jones has got it in hand but just a little worried that the loss of Robshaw and Billy V earlier this year made a huge difference and the second picks weren't great and Haskell probably won't be a starter 2019

11 May, 2017 15:06
Quote:
Banstead Quin
I would have thought they would have tried to keep the top 2 seeds apart till the final, assuming they both win their groups but we might get a better chance in the semi, as they will be heavy favourites.

The draw isn't as finely granulated as to have individual seedings for countries, though. All 4 teams in the top seeding group are treated as equal.

Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 15:46
I know that but commercially, an England v NZ final is a bigger draw than either v anyone else so I thought they'd skew it that way.

Granted either side could implode in the next 2 years but money does talk.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net