Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

James Johnston
HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 13:23
Left Worcester and has joined Brive for next season

Re: James Johnston
Dave L (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 13:38
He just hasn't been able to settle anywhere since leaving Sariies, has he?

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 14:10
Never seemed to play there regularly as I recall, overall he hasn`t fared well since departing Quins.

Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 14:24
Should've stayed where he was wanted and respected. He'd have over 150 Quins caps by now.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 15:27
Sinckler wouldn't be on this lions tour had he stayed though.

akb1 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 15:43
he did a job for us at times, but I never thought he was that good.

Monte (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 16:03
He hasn't been able to settle anywhere since he left us. Very sad both the way he left us without telling us first before Sarries announced it and the fact he was just chasing the $.
I disagree with akb1 with Ollie retiring and JJ going left us a real problem for a couple of seasons.

akb1 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 16:13
What has Ollie retiring got to do with it?
I didn't say we were better when he left! My comment was that I never thought he was that good.

D-Quins (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 16:23
When you understand how poor some of the Southsea Islands are and that a player here is supporting a large extended community on their salary you can't blame them for chasing the $. Sad but you have to understand that they are only in the game for a few years and many years retired.

They are trying to support players over here through the organisation that Dan Leo and others are setting up, read up on it and it gives you better understanding of their lives and issues

D-Quins

TitusQuin (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 16:25
Pity he hasn't kicked on as he looked a fine talent but i suppose there is more to it than that.

Agree with akb1 that he wasn't as good as everyone made out, we did replace him with Paul Doran Jones which would skew anyones view on a player.

Looking at another thread on George Robson and he like JJ and Guesty were great servants to Quins but failed to make an impact elsewhere which i think says more about our club than the individual. We were able to maximise their abilities.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 16:38
Or maybe Quins had them at their peak and when they left they were on the way down/struggling with injuries???

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 16:40
JJ wasn't very good for us for most of his time here. We were very lucky he had a storming half-season that coincided with our run to the title. He reverted back to his old self after that.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 17:34
I'd agree with that Jammy - he went from being a penalty magnet and a bit of a coward to being an absolute monster when we won, but I certainly think he's a lot better than his post-Quins efforts have shown.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 18:27
Quote:
akb1
What has Ollie retiring got to do with it?
I didn't say we were better when he left! My comment was that I never thought he was that good.

I recall COS saying something to the effect that he had incredible raw talent and had the potential to be one of the best props in the world. They suggested that he had such phenomenal strength that the reason penalties were awarded against him was that refs couldn't believe some of his scrummaging was just down to power.

APart from everything else, he's a lovely bloke too. I wish him all the best.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 19:40
To be fair to Guesty, he had a lot of bad luck with injuries, with us and with LI...

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 21:43
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
To be fair to Guesty, he had a lot of bad luck with injuries, with us and with LI...

And when he was finally picked for England Saxons, alongside Will Skinner, the game was called off...

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 22:15
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Bolly-Quin

And when he was finally picked for England Saxons, alongside Will Skinner, the game was called off...

He did play - 2009 v Argentina, US and Ireland in Denver during Churchill Cup...

Quinoids (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 09:22
Quote:
D-Quins
When you understand how poor some of the Southsea Islands are and that a player here is supporting a large extended community on their salary you can't blame them for chasing the $. Sad but you have to understand that they are only in the game for a few years and many years retired.
They are trying to support players over here through the organisation that Dan Leo and others are setting up, read up on it and it gives you better understanding of their lives and issues

D-Quins

Rugby Dungeon did a really excellent podcast with Dan Leo about this.....

DOK (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 10:08
This was something JK did very well. He took a raw talent and welded him into a very competent scrummager. With lack of game time he seemed to forget those lessons and just kind of drifted. Sad, really. Wish him all the best for his new move and hope he gets his mojo back.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 13:16
Am I right in thinking that the removal of the hit came the season he left us? He wouldn't have been the only front row to struggle under the new engagement.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 16:43
He struggled before as well. His binding was always highly suspect.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 21:57
Fair enough!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net