17 May, 2017 09:23

Re: Sinckler on Adam Jones Influence
DOK (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 10:19

blucherquin (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 10:47
And from The Times:

Kyle Sinckler has revealed how Adam Jones, the former Wales and British & Irish Lions prop, changed his life and aided his selection for the forthcoming Lions tour to New Zealand.

Jones joined Sinckler at Harlequins in 2015 and the England prop recalled their first meeting. “He has taken me under his wing 100 per cent, from the first day I met him in the sports hall at pre-season,” Sinckler said. “He was like, ‘Hi Kyle, I’m Adam’, and I was like, ‘I know who you are, you probably don’t know who I am!’

“He has been like a coach to me, even though he is a player. He has been a massive help to me, probably changed my life, to be honest; just the way I see things, the respect I have for him.

“He has been a coach, a mentor, a father figure to me and a headmaster when he’s telling me off. He has got 95 caps [for Wales], five caps for the Lions so I have been following him around for the last two years.”

Sinckler also acknowledged the influence on him of another Jones, the England head coach Eddie, in particular on the tour to Australia last year when Sinckler did not receive the first cap that he so craved. “I thought I worked quite hard and then you get into the Eddie Jones regime, and you do not know what working hard is until you get there,” he said. “I was just like, ‘Wow, I am a long way off.’

“My body fat was too high, I was probably eight or nine kilos heavier than I am now. And I just had to sit down and say, ‘Look, my career can go one of two ways here.’ I was a bit frustrated because I did not get capped in Australia but, looking back, it was probably the right decision from Eddie. I just had to re-evaluate everything, look after my nutrition, my professionalism, my set-piece stuff, my fitness, my body language, everything.

“I made the decision to just get my head down even more and I was lucky enough to get my first cap in November [against South Africa].”

Sinckler, 24, now has eight caps, all off the bench. He was talking in Cardiff where the Lions are training this week. “It’s a bit surreal,” he said. “I watched all the Living with Lions [videos and DVDs] and now I am actually in it!”

Sinckler’s aggressive edge has always been a prominent part of his game, along with his powerful carrying and surprisingly deft hands for a prop. “I don’t know if you call it angry, aggressive or uncompromising,” he said. “I only know how to play the game one way. That’s it. If I go into the game and I have not got that fire in my belly, then I don’t want to play the game.”

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 12:14
During COS's last evening with the fans , he said that he had organised Adam as a 'mentor' to Kyle , and related a story that Kyle was asking Adam about the best fights he'd had - apparently Adam told him he'd never had one and if you've got the strength to fight you aren't pushing hard enough in the scrum . COS said that Kyle was just looking at him and nodding ( not sure it quite sunk in , but I think he got the idea)

I like Kyles attitude , I think hes always keen to improve , observes those elder pros around and takes critique from those in the know quite well.

Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 15:01
Just needs to curb the angry reactions and not let them wind him up so much and he'll be a hell of a player in a couple of years.

Never stop learning, even when he becomes the senior pro. That's the key to greatness. Learn & adapt.

DOK (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 09:09
You can't fault the lad's attitude. And he just needs to get a grip on the temper, in the same way Joe has.

Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 09:19
Exactly DOK, Joe is a different bloke these day's. Still a nightmare for the oppo and goes out of his way to wind them up but has curbed his reactions to theirs.

So that's Marler, Jones, Kingston, Rowntree & Leonard for him to learn from. That's pretty impressive for any youngster.

InsertQuinsPunHere (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 21:52
It's pretty impressive for most grizzled veterans, no?!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net