Coach Travel Details | Join Quinssa!
Next Coach: Next season
Tickets: Quins

www CAW

Changes to Champions Cup Qualification for Pro 12
DazzaS (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 16:05
Italians no longer guaranteed a place

"Changes to qualification mean that from the end of next season, nations with teams in the Pro12 could miss out on the Champions Cup entirely.

Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Italy currently each have one Champions Cup spot guaranteed every season.

But from 2018-19 the first seven Pro12 teams will qualify on merit - and one or more nations could miss out.

Pro12 chief Martin Anayi said "these changes will deliver true meritocracy to our Championship".

Since the Italian sides joined the Pro12 in 2010, an Italian side has finished in the top seven only once in seven seasons, when Benetton Treviso came seventh in the 2012-13 season.

There is no change for the Premiership and Top 14, with the top six qualifying by right, while the 20th spot will go to the European Challenge Cup winner.

The alterations mean the qualifying process for the Champions Cup has been different every year in the five years since its inception, with the changes largely to do with how the 20th team has qualified.

Analysis

BBC Radio 5 live rugby reporter Chris Jones:

Guaranteeing a representative from every country was one of the concessions made by the power brokers when the Champions Cup replaced the Heineken Cup, but this development is the final step towards a wholly meritocratic qualification process.

The weakness of the Italian teams has been a blight on the tournament up until now, while the news that the Challenge Cup winner will automatically gain entry to elite competition will also be widely welcomed."

Re: Changes to Champions Cup Qualification for Pro 12
Monte (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 16:18
I think this is great, absurd for the Challenge cup winner not to get an automatic place.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 16:43
I still think the Pro12 have it easier than the English & French teams. In England you have to be better than 50% of the teams in the league. In France, it's even tougher, you have to be better than 8 teams (58%) in the league. The Pro12 is easier, in that you only have yo be better than 5 teams (42%) of the league. If anyone should have had the 7 qualifying spots, I'd say the French should have had it. Simple qualification rule: Be better than 50% of your league or win the previous season's Challenge cup.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 21:46
Brilliant news.

Samquin (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 22:42
Surely as there are only 12 teams in the league they should only get 6 places guaranteed.

Dave L (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 10:52
I can't imagine this going down well in parts of the Celtic world but it could have the bi-product of improving the Challenge Cup and not giving whoever has the Italian team an easy beat in the Champions Cup.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 13:18
Quote:
Fearless Fred
I still think the Pro12 have it easier than the English & French teams. In England you have to be better than 50% of the teams in the league. In France, it's even tougher, you have to be better than 8 teams (58%) in the league. The Pro12 is easier, in that you only have yo be better than 5 teams (42%) of the league. If anyone should have had the 7 qualifying spots, I'd say the French should have had it. Simple qualification rule: Be better than 50% of your league or win the previous season's Challenge cup.

Absolutely Spot on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Harlequins Poll

Is a poll here a stupid idea?

See results > Submit >>