rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Welsh Lions
Monte (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 22:20
It was bad enough last time, but this time he has gone too far in my opinion. I for one won't be paying Sky for the tests. He knew last week he needed more players, should have called up England players last week. I agree with Ugo, jerry for once and Brian.

Re: Welsh Lions
kevin (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 22:30
Yep!

Mayor West (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 22:38
I can only watch this now as we have two Quins out there.

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 01:11
He has totally devalued the ethos of The Lions.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 08:52
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy

Gatland says not. Says everyone knew this was the plan and why fly someone halfway around the world to sit on the bench for a midweek game. Players are there for one week only. He says he's there to win a test series.

I can see both sides of it, still not sure how I feel.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 10:10
I see someone's updated Wikipedia.....

https://image.ibb.co/eMKVCk/Screen_Shot_2017_06_18_at_10_10_51.png

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 10:53
How very stupid.

Monte (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 11:35
Blucherquin Stephen Jones agrees with you in the Times - Murdoch's team sticking together. If these players brag they are Lions will be final straw.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 13:33
Quote:
Monte
Blucherquin Stephen Jones agrees with you in the Times - Murdoch's team sticking together. If these players brag they are Lions will be final straw.

I'm pretty sure Rupert doesn't have a view on how the Lions are coached

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 20:46
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy

Gatland says not. Says everyone knew this was the plan and why fly someone halfway around the world to sit on the bench for a midweek game. Players are there for one week only. He says he's there to win a test series.

Really? If he wanted tackle bags then bring them in as tackle bags. Any player given a lions callup should be capable of playing themselves into the tests. This is a travesty.

DOK (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 20:47
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy

You fly someone halfway round the world because the Lions are the best of the British Isles and Ireland, not the most convenient!

The Bard (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 20:56
It would be interesting to know if Joe Launchbury would have considered it worth flying to NZ for 30 minutes off the bench in a midweek game. I rather suspect he would!

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 21:04
Quote:
The Bard
It would be interesting to know if Joe Launchbury would have considered it worth flying to NZ for 30 minutes off the bench in a midweek game. I rather suspect he would!

Of course he would. There's 3 tests left, injuries happen, and more to the point one would hope that any player who showed enough in training etc would be considered for the test 23. Anyone called up should be confident that if they are the best player in the squad, they play.

fandg2 (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 21:28
Can't fathom what Gatland was thinking by doing this. Outwith all that's been said re devaluing the shirt, if I was a Chief's player, match sponser, paying public etc I'd feel insulted knowing I'm not worth a 'genuine' lions side for my time and money.

Can't blame the players though, we'd all like that sort of call up and their after dinner speaking fees will go up as well.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 08:14
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy

Really? If he wanted tackle bags then bring them in as tackle bags. Any player given a lions callup should be capable of playing themselves into the tests. This is a travesty.

I'm not sure what the really is in reference to. If it's what Gatland said that I simply reported verbatim then yes, really.

If it's "really" to do with me seeing both sides but not being sure how i feel, yes really, that's actually my opinion.

Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 10:46
If it was pre-planned and everyone knew it would happen, then why didn't he ask Eddie Jones if the England players could fly to NZ after the first test against Argentina so that they would have time to aclimitise to the conditions?

It was pre-planned with the welsh union and a couple of token Scots thrown in for good PR. I could understand if they were good, regular test players.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 10:55
Listening to Full Contact podcast, Robson and Moore saying that the players coming in already know a lot of the calls, and suggesting they might have been involved in the pre-tour sessions at Celtic Manor. If that is so, and it has always been the plan to bring in reinforcements for the first test week, then why couldn't they have brought England or Ireland players in after their respective first tour tests.

Also, the geography doesn't explain a Welsh 2nd row over the Gray brothers, unless I have missed that they are injured.

I don't blame the players called up at all, I just thing it's fairly ridiculous. If he wins the tests then I guess 99% of fans will cease to care, but if he doesn't then I think the criticism will increase, and even if he wins, some will still says it devalues the shirt.

I can see the logic of bringing them in, but that logic goes out the window somewhat if it has always been the plan, rather than a reaction to mounting injuries.

poorfour (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 11:32
If I were one of the England senior players left out, I might get on the first plane to New Zealand and have my summer holiday there. In fact, I'd probably already be there.

19 June, 2017 12:14
That for me is the biggest issue T-bone, who cares if, however unlikely, the Lions win? It's either right or wrong and that shouldn't be dependent on the result.

If they were at Celtic Manor then than makes it even more despicable that better players weren't lined up.

DOK (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 12:42
Quote:
DOK
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy

You fly someone halfway round the world because the Lions are the best of the British Isles and Ireland, not the most convenient!

Nice to see it's not just my opinion! (but I never thought it was!)

19 June, 2017 18:00
Good spot Dok, carries more weight from a former Lion and a welsh one at that.

Monte (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 18:35
Well in 4 years time England need to make sure they are playing Namibia when Lions are on clearly everyone should play the game. I assume the Lions go to SA next time?

Rocker (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 19:47
Gatland is a plonker. Nuff said

19 June, 2017 21:29
Correct Monte and it's my 50th birthday present to myself to do the tour. And I want to do it with a good well balanced squad with no nepotism at all from the coach, English or otherwise.

Hopefully, after a successful World Cup campaign, it'll be Eddie Jones leading them.

1908 (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 23:23
I'm more concerned about the other Welsh Lions. Let's hope AWJ, Warburton and North don't make the 23 for the first test. On form they should not. But then Gatland seems to disregard form as a selection criteria.

Still think the Lions have a good chance on Saturday.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
20 June, 2017 07:45
Quote:
I'm more concerned about the other Welsh Lions. Let's hope AWJ, Warburton and North don't make the 23 for the first test. On form they should not. But then Gatland seems to disregard form as a selection criteria.
Still think the Lions have a good chance on Saturday.

Agree if either AWJ or Warburton get anywhere near starting it would be a travesty.

North though, I don't agree -- it's a big problem that he blows hot and cold, we saw it a lot this season -- but I think you'd wager on him turning it on compared to other options on the wing. The guy is world class when he can be bothered...

Monte (IP Logged)
20 June, 2017 08:33
Well on that basis blucherquin you could include Roberts!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
20 June, 2017 08:39
Quote:
Monte
Well on that basis blucherquin you could include Roberts!

Ha...well if he wasn't past it yes.

Nigel_B (IP Logged)
20 June, 2017 13:52
I think Gatgland's snub of the England team touring Argentina is going to have serious repercussions. Eddie Jones is now going to say to the likes of Brown, Robshaw, Launchbury, Hartley et al. "You've now going to really prove yourselves the best in your position" and I expect to see a clean sweep of the AIs and 6Ns. I've now lost interest in watching this series. Gatland should never have been allowed to coach this squad and I'm betting there will be a number of players with behind the scenes exposures lining up, particularly in the light of the new call ups.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net