rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Not Wembley
dr_miles (IP Logged)
10 July, 2017 09:36
But not necessarily any better:

[www.saracens.com]

Saracens are thrilled to announce that this season’s Derby Day fixture against Harlequins will be played at London Stadium on Saturday 24th March.

The game, which has become a highlight of the Saracens calendar, will see this season’s London derby played in front of 57,000 fans at the Aviva Premiership fixture to be hosted at London Stadium.

Saracens will make the move to Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, which hosted a number of matches during the 2015 Rugby World Cup, after a successful multi year partnership with Wembley Stadium which has seen the innovative north London club take 14 Premiership and European fixtures to the National Stadium and achieve world record crowds throughout its tenure.

Saracens CEO Heath Harvey said: “As a visionary and innovative club we are delighted to be teaming up with a stadium and team that matches our ambition to create a landmark showpiece event.”

London Stadium Chief Executive Linda Lennon CBE added: "We are delighted to announce our partnership with Saracens and look forward to welcoming their supporters for a fixture of such prestige.

"We take immense pride in delivering a diverse calendar of events and look forward to building a strong bond with Saracens and their supporters."

Harvey continued, “London Stadium has become synonymous with delivering great entertainment and sporting spectacles and this opportunity is one that both parties are very excited about.

“We have enjoyed a number of successful years with Wembley Stadium however despite continued attempts over the past year to build on the long term relationship Wembley have not matched our ambition.”

Re: Not Wembley
blucherquin (IP Logged)
10 July, 2017 10:04
Please see other thread on fixtures for long chat about this....

In summary -- a lot nicer stadium than Wembley.

New Forest Quin (IP Logged)
10 July, 2017 11:39
Surely moving to a stadium with a capacity of 25,000 less can not be seen as a positive move?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to visiting the London Stadium for the first time.

St Mags Quin (IP Logged)
10 July, 2017 12:48
57,000 seats in football mode with the potential to increase capacity to 60,000

Interesting move, this is maybe an indication of how many freebies were given out to fill Wembley in the past.

Cookie (IP Logged)
10 July, 2017 12:57
Guys, this is all on the other thread. Wembley is unavailable due to football matches being played that weekend.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
10 July, 2017 13:14
Sure, but had they wanted Wembley I'm sure they ould have moved it.

TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
14 July, 2017 16:30
I'm sure it'll still be a 'world record crowd' (Sm129)

West Stand, Block FD, Row S
@JT075 #COYQ

mfc (IP Logged)
14 July, 2017 20:26
Why the snarky remarks? Better venue, do you really want to go back to Wembley, I don't. Or is your agenda purely to to be anti? I personally don't get it, we need all clubs to be successful, not all clubs can be based in west London. It's really not a good look, move on fellas

Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 03:49
Mfc, I don't disagree on easing up on the anti-sarries stuff as it can be a bit tedious but I think the frustration is that your club (not the players or the fans) make a big song and dance about Wembley and world record attendances when we all get the Group On e-mails and have fans who are offered free tickets through club and work routes and that for us is tedious. If you're gonna revel in the success, you have to be humble in the failure, so to speak.

We had a similar thing a few years ago when we were looking to play European games at HQ but the club were honest with us and said that we'd have to get 50,000 just to break even so we were all happy to stay at the Stoop and sell that out regularly.

I for one love the Olympic Stadium so will attend, I haven't been to Wembley since 2012 when even a stunning win and performance from Quins couldn't detract from what a bad place it is for Rugby fans.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 09:12
I wouldn't mind going to Allianz park, I don't know why it has to be Quins every time, probably just so the #DerbyDay can be used

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 12:47
Quote:
mfc
... we need all clubs to be successful ...

Yea we saw that attitude with the salary cap farce didn't we? Utter hypocrisy.

PeterboroughQuin (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 13:09
The mighty Spurs have Wembley all next season

mfc (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 15:38
Thought about posting a response, but on reflection thought better of it.

There's plenty I'm not proud of, but we wouldn't be alone in that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/07/2017 15:44 by mfc.

TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 15:46
Quote:
mfc
Why the snarky remarks? Better venue, do you really want to go back to Wembley, I don't. Or is your agenda purely to to be anti? I personally don't get it, we need all clubs to be successful, not all clubs can be based in west London. It's really not a good look, move on fellas

Quote:
Banstead Quin
Mfc, I don't disagree on easing up on the anti-sarries stuff as it can be a bit tedious but I think the frustration is that your club (not the players or the fans) make a big song and dance about Wembley and world record attendances when we all get the Group On e-mails and have fans who are offered free tickets through club and work routes and that for us is tedious. If you're gonna revel in the success, you have to be humble in the failure, so to speak.
We had a similar thing a few years ago when we were looking to play European games at HQ but the club were honest with us and said that we'd have to get 50,000 just to break even so we were all happy to stay at the Stoop and sell that out regularly.

I for one love the Olympic Stadium so will attend, I haven't been to Wembley since 2012 when even a stunning win and performance from Quins couldn't detract from what a bad place it is for Rugby fans.

Precisely as I'd have put it if you'd not got there 1st! I don't consider myself a Salarycens basher but I do have a huge dislike of the club management over the salary business and the contempt with which that they have treated other teams and their fans. many of the players are of course complicit as they will have known what was going on with the salaries. The club got away with it far too easily

Plus the 'world record crowd' when as far as bums on seats goes, they were way off that. It's easy to have a world record for the number of seats given away, not so easy to do it actually selling them at competitive rates. Annoyingly, BT bouught the Salarycens marketing people's hype and kept calling it that when there were swathes of fans disguised as seats.

I'd guess Quins are the chosen opposition for their 'big game' as they are the best bet for fan numbers and they are pretty confident on beating us!

And yes, the London Stadium will be a far nicer venue than Wembley, I've only been to the old Wembley and really have no interest going to the new one.

West Stand, Block FD, Row S
@JT075 #COYQ

DOK (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 18:16
I quite liked Wembley, I just didn't like the day there if you know what I mean. It's a nice venue, the seats are OK, views are good. The people I went with loved it, so that's good and sets them up as possible future supporters. But if I had all my rathers, I'd rather not go.

Twickenham stadium is different. Twickenham stadium is a soulless concrete monstrosity but it's HQ. It buzzes. That feeling as you walk from the gloom out to see the pitch for the first time - it's uplifting.

So - London Stadium? Of course I'll go. Pretty sure the folk who went with me last year will be wanting me to get tickets. So will see how it is but honestly, would rather just go to Allianz Park and watch the game with a bunch of people interested in what is happening on the pitch.

Dave L (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 18:39
I'm like a broken record on this. I have no issue with the big games for any club. What I object to is that a club can name the opposition for said Big Games.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 19:52
Let's debate it all over again....such fun and nuanced perspectives

dancing quin (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 21:00
The $arries Wembley crowds have been dropping in their thousands for the last 2-3 years running so, as some have said, they probably would have moved it to a smaller stadium anyway. Having a half-empty Wembley for their big day wouldn't be good for the brand.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 22:38
Quote:
dancing quin
The $arries Wembley crowds have been dropping in their thousands for the last 2-3 years running so, as some have said, they probably would have moved it to a smaller stadium anyway. Having a half-empty Wembley for their big day wouldn't be good for the brand.

Except their statement makes it very clear they wanted to keep it at Wembley.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
19 July, 2017 11:30
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
dancing quin

Except their statement makes it very clear they wanted to keep it at Wembley.

If that's how you wish to interpret it.

Bellyfull (IP Logged)
19 July, 2017 12:00
The London Stadium is an athletics stadium and anyone who has been to a rugby or soccer event there, will if they are honest say its awful, upper tier behind try and goal line is hell of a long way from the pitch and you have to watch the screen.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 05:57
Quote:
Bellyfull
The London Stadium is an athletics stadium and anyone who has been to a rugby or soccer event there, will if they are honest say its awful, upper tier behind try and goal line is hell of a long way from the pitch and you have to watch the screen.

I've been to two rugby matches and a gig, they were all great with very good views, but I've never chosen upper tier tickets behind the try line.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net