Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from GoogleQuins Official SiteDiamond Geezers Website

Coach Travel Details | Join Quinssa!
Next Coach: Next season
Tickets: Quins

www CAW

Team during call-up season
blucherquin (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 13:50
What might our team look like during call-ups? Feels like it will start to be stronger.

I realise there are more than a few unknowns..and i can't quite work it out...so any thoughts? (Im assuming Lowe is not back, even though we've still had no news)

1 Collier
2 Buchanan
3 Lambert
4 Matthews/Merrick (no Twomey avail)
5 Horwill (c)
6 J Chisholm
7 Wallace
8 Bothma? Luamanu?

9 Mulchrone
10 Catrakalis
11 ???? (if Visser not available, are we talking Alofa? wings seem thin dept)
12 Marchant (but could get call up and Roberts may not...)
13 Saili
14 Yarde (don't think he's getting in the England side now)
15 Morris or R Chisholm

Re: Team during call-up season
dr_miles (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 14:03
Walker on the wing, surely?

STOOPER (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 14:21
A few faces/potentials missing here, agree Walker must be in the mix on the wing but possibly Mikalcius if he is as promising as hoped.

Further front row surely Swainston might figure as otherwise why sign him ?

Obviously no news on Lowe so we must I think suspect the worse, if Sloan gets back to full fitness he must also be possible.

Talking of front rows no news either on Hohlenstein his only appearance in a quins shirt since signing appears to be a photo of him and the Sink in some muscle man contest. He is listed on the Player profiles but is he still with us ?

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 14:28
I think Holenstien was available towards the end of last season but the club decided not to play him. Make sure he is ready all guns blazing this season

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/07/2017 14:36 by HonkyTonk.

Almost quin (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 14:28
Agree re Walker and also why have you moved Marchent from 13 to 12

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 14:38
I would say Collier is our first choice TH, even above Sinckler at the moment. I can see both being involved with England (Hence the need for Swainston and Mcnulty)

blucherquin (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 14:38
Quote:
STOOPER
A few faces/potentials missing here, agree Walker must be in the mix on the wing but possibly Mikalcius if he is as promising as hoped.
Further front row surely Swainston might figure as otherwise why sign him ?

Obviously no news on Lowe so we must I think suspect the worse, if Sloan gets back to full fitness he must also be possible.

Talking of front rows no news either on Hohlenstein his only appearance in a quins shirt since signing appears to be a photo of him and the Sink in some muscle man contest. He is listed on the Player profiles but is he still with us ?

Agree on Walker but with respect to him he's just not big enough to give us the punch we need week in week out...but think it's his place

Swainston presumably gives us option other than Collier but given Collier's England call up didn't figure him to edge him out - interesting to see how much longer Lambert can go on the other side of the scrum though....

H'stein is only 21/22 I think so guess he's a long term prospect if anything

blucherquin (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 14:39
Quote:
Almost quin
Agree re Walker and also why have you moved Marchent from 13 to 12

Because I got it the wrong way round by mistake

blucherquin (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 14:41
Quote:
HonkyTonk
I would say Collier is our first choice TH, even above Sinckler at the moment. I can see both being involved with England (Hence the need for Swainston and Mcnulty)

Really? You may be right but I can't see it - why would you drop a Lion to the bench?

godzilla73 (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 15:02
Bumped into Harry Sloan at Clapham junction last week. He said he was fighting fight, enjoying pre-season and looking forward to playing, so good news on that front.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 14:51
I start with my strongest scrummager, get dominance in the set piece. Sinckler comes on (like he does for England, and did for the Lions) to cause havoc around the park.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 15:03
Quote:
HonkyTonk
I start with my strongest scrummager, get dominance in the set piece. Sinckler comes on (like he does for England, and did for the Lions) to cause havoc around the park.

Fair enough but we won't have that option during this period though - Sink will be in Eng squad obvs, can't see Collier making the Thursday cut though

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 15:12
Sorry, I was talking in general when both available. During the AIs, Collier starts (If not called up, which I think he might be) and Swainston to the bench (In reply to STOOPER who questioned the need for Swainston).

Didn't Jones say something along the lines that the Lions players will be used sparingly if at all during the AIs??

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 15:19
Quote:
godzilla73
Bumped into Harry Sloan at Clapham junction last week. He said he was fighting fight, enjoying pre-season and looking forward to playing, so good news on that front.

Great news, although I hope you didn't bump into him too hard.

I don't think it will be a surprise if Clifford doesn't miss any Quins fixtures while with England this season.

Almost quin (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 17:05
Clifford needs a big season he has a lot of competition for an England place and on his form of last season I would say he has plenty if competition at Quins as well

blucherquin (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 17:12
Quote:
Almost quin
Clifford needs a big season he has a lot of competition for an England place and on his form of last season I would say he has plenty if competition at Quins as well

Yeah fair point, we may have Clifford as well.

That said I think baby Chis was our player of the season last year, so the competition around those places could be interesting

poorfour (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 17:52
1. Lambert (but we will need a strong replacement to emerge)
2. Buchanan
3. Collier (realistically, he is 4th in the England pecking order after Cole, Sinck and Williams, so I think he will be available)
4. Merrick (Eddie has namechecked Merrick - but he's at best 6th in the pecking order after the big 4, Ewels and Isiekwe)
5. Horwill
6. Baby Chis (unless he overtakes Clifford)
7. Wallace
8. Luamanu (if banned, Bothma)

9. Mulchrone
10. Catrakilis / Swiel / Jackson (depending on opposition)
11. Big Chis
12. Roberts (don't really expect him to be playing for Wales much longer. If not, Sloan)
13. Marchant (or Saili if Marchant gets a call up)
14. Yarde (only in the England running if there are injuries)
15. Morris

That's not a bad XV, especially if you consider it's without Marler, Sinck, Robshaw, Care, Visser and Brown.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 19:45
We also have the lad Boyce at loose head so bomb shouldn't have to do it again. Injuries permitting.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 20:26
Quote:
poorfour
2. Buchanan
3. Collier (realistically, he is 4th in the England pecking order after Cole, Sinck and Williams, so I think he will be available)
4. Merrick (Eddie has namechecked Merrick - but he's at best 6th in the pecking order after the big 4, Ewels and Isiekwe)
5. Horwill
7. Wallace

9. Mulchrone
11. Big Chis
12. Roberts (don't really expect him to be playing for Wales much longer. If not, Sloan)
15. Morris

That's not a bad XV, especially if you consider it's without Marler, Sinck, Robshaw, Care, Visser and Brown.

Saili could be a game changer for us - as long he's not hating it id start him

Mayor West (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 21:11
Our 1st second XV , if that makes sense, looks quite handy but what about the 23 which is what we have on a match day. Are our third choices good enough?

poorfour (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 21:19
What would it be:
16. Ward
17. Boyce
18. Jones
19. Matthews
20. Bothma
21. Waters
22. take your pick
23. Walker

Better than we've had for a while, if we can keep them all fit.

By the way, anyone else notice that George Robson has left London Irish? Reckon he'd be up for a stint as injury cover for Twomey?

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 21:21
Quote:
poorfour
2. Buchanan
5. Horwill
7. Wallace

9. Mulchrone
11. Big Chis
15. Morris

Yeah - this is pretty close IMO.

I agree with you on Roberts and to be honest, I think Clifford may struggle to make the EPS unless he has a barnstorming start to the season. There are suddenly a lot more back row options for England and for one reason or another, Jack's never really taken his chances.

Presumably Boyce is the guy we're investing in as the up-and-coming loosehead. He made the Championship team of the season twice on the trot and has a good amount of experience for his age.

godzilla73 (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 21:45
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen

Great news, although I hope you didn't bump into him too hard.

I don't think it will be a surprise if Clifford doesn't miss any Quins fixtures while with England this season.

😃 indeed! I think I would have come off worse. The boy is pretty stacked!

Mayor West (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 21:52
I think we would only have got Goatman if he hadn't got himself another contract somewhere. We have the chap from Bristol anyway. If we don't have an injury crisis we might be up there this season with this squad.

20 July, 2017 21:59
No one expecting much from Dave Lewis then!

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 07:51
I thought he was missing aswell (Lewis).

Boyce sounds promising but from watching the Championship play off he got murdered in the scrum. Would not surprise me if Holenstien was in front of him to start with.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 09:38
Quote:
Mayor West
I think we would only have got Goatman if he hadn't got himself another contract somewhere. We have the chap from Bristol anyway. If we don't have an injury crisis we might be up there this season with this squad.

I hadn't heard that Goatman had left LI. Looking at his twitter, it seems he may have retired...

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 12:00
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen

Jammy has the red carpet already prepared.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
22 July, 2017 07:13
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen

I was only listing the likely starting XV from what we know about everyone so far.

As we showed last year we need more options, Mulchrone had some good moments last year hence I've started him, but Lewis will play - we've got Europe, Prem, Anglo-Welsh and injuries to cover..

Hopefully he'll show up and be fantastic - but he barely played last year so I didn't list him.

As I said, we need options for Lambo as well presumably given it must be close to his final season but can't call who'll that be is until they've had some game time

akb1 (IP Logged)
22 July, 2017 09:23
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
Mayor West

I hadn't heard that Goatman had left LI. Looking at his twitter, it seems he may have retired...

Not heard anything either but found this [www.gdrobson.com]

22 July, 2017 11:46
Quote:
akb1
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
Mayor West

Not heard anything either but found this [www.gdrobson.com]

So, "taking a break" from the game. He's 31 now. Assuming it's a full season out, he'll be getting close to 33. As a comparison, Horwill is 6 months older than he is, and Parling is 33 already. I have a feeling that if he does come back to the game, it'll be with a Championship side pushing to get into the Premiership that needs an experienced "old head". There's enough younger locks who are hungry for a place in the current Premiership teams and their academies.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
22 July, 2017 12:24
That's interesting, maybe he's got an injury or suchlike that he's been advised to rest for a while. He wouldn't get a contract if this is a possibility but he's quite young to retire otherwise. It infers that he might be doing coaching and motivational speaking as a new venture.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
22 July, 2017 14:22
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen

Jammy has the red carpet already prepared.
I had almost managed to forget about him sad smiley

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

T-Bone (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 12:35
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
poorfour
2. Buchanan
5. Horwill
7. Wallace

9. Mulchrone
11. Big Chis
15. Morris

What do you mean about Saili hating it?

Strange one about Robson

blucherquin (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 13:03
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
poorfour
2. Buchanan
5. Horwill
7. Wallace

9. Mulchrone
11. Big Chis
15. Morris

Strange one about Robson

I mean a few overseas players have moved to various sides in England and just not enjoyed it, families not settled, etc -- so in other words, unless there's some weird reason why he's not performing, I think he has the potential to totally transform our attack.

24 July, 2017 14:38
Well, considering he's just spent the last two seasons at Munster, it's hardly like he's moving half-way round the world, not knowing if he'll like this hemisphere. Plus, he will have been able to get a reasonable idea of what to expect in the Premiership and European Champions Cup level.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 21:36
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Well, considering he's just spent the last two seasons at Munster, it's hardly like he's moving half-way round the world, not knowing if he'll like this hemisphere. Plus, he will have been able to get a reasonable idea of what to expect in the Premiership and European Champions Cup level.

I love how no comment on here can be met without condescension or contradiction now...

No, I know he's been in Ireland, not every statement has to be taken as a grand sweeping position on the world.

I was - and am - saying I think he'll transform the team, pause, deep breath, unless there's some (as yet unknown) reason why he doesn't quite gel with the side, or doesn't get the system, or gets the clap and can't run for scratching his crotch.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
25 July, 2017 11:00
Yup! And if he leaves we'll be able to say......(wait for it)....

"we have another Gonorrhoea.."

Boom! Boom!

25 July, 2017 11:03
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Fearless Fred

I love how no comment on here can be met without condescension or contradiction now...

No, I know he's been in Ireland, not every statement has to be taken as a grand sweeping position on the world.

I was - and am - saying I think he'll transform the team, pause, deep breath, unless there's some (as yet unknown) reason why he doesn't quite gel with the side, or doesn't get the system, or gets the clap and can't run for scratching his crotch.

Your original comment was based on the assumption that he either was "hating it" or that there was some reason why "he's not performing" as a starting point. Your implication was that this was a position for us to start our consideration of his contribution to Quins. Even in your follow up, you can't help but qualify your support for him with "unless there's some (as yet unknown) reason why he doesn't quite gel with the side, or doesn't get the system, or gets the clap and can't run for scratching his crotch.". Again, there is the insinuation that there's reason for us to be concerned about how well he will play for us.

There's no reason for us to start at this position of doubting what he can do for us. He's a former All Black (and we tend to do well with our All Black recruits). He's played for teams at all levels in both the NH and SH, including Champions Cup level (more so than a number of our current squad). He won a man of the match award the day after his departure from Munster was announced in the Pro12 Semifinal, and went on to appear in the Pro12 final (again, a sizeable contingent of our current squad have not experienced playing in a Domestic Final). He's moving from One European, English-speaking country to another European (for now), English-speaking country. There is every reason to think he will do well for us, and no reason to spread doom that he may not be a good signing. Your pessimistic tone was uncalled for and I felt it needed to be challenged.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
25 July, 2017 12:09
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
poorfour
2. Buchanan
5. Horwill
7. Wallace

9. Mulchrone
11. Big Chis
15. Morris

Strange one about Robson

I mean a few overseas players have moved to various sides in England and just not enjoyed it, families not settled, etc -- so in other words, unless there's some weird reason why he's not performing, I think he has the potential to totally transform our attack.

Ah, ok, see what you mean.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
25 July, 2017 12:58
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Fearless Fred

Your original comment was based on the assumption that he either was "hating it" or that there was some reason why "he's not performing" as a starting point. Your implication was that this was a position for us to start our consideration of his contribution to Quins. Even in your follow up, you can't help but qualify your support for him with "unless there's some (as yet unknown) reason why he doesn't quite gel with the side, or doesn't get the system, or gets the clap and can't run for scratching his crotch.". Again, there is the insinuation that there's reason for us to be concerned about how well he will play for us.

There's no reason for us to start at this position of doubting what he can do for us. He's a former All Black (and we tend to do well with our All Black recruits). He's played for teams at all levels in both the NH and SH, including Champions Cup level (more so than a number of our current squad). He won a man of the match award the day after his departure from Munster was announced in the Pro12 Semifinal, and went on to appear in the Pro12 final (again, a sizeable contingent of our current squad have not experienced playing in a Domestic Final). He's moving from One European, English-speaking country to another European (for now), English-speaking country. There is every reason to think he will do well for us, and no reason to spread doom that he may not be a good signing. Your pessimistic tone was uncalled for and I felt it needed to be challenged.

No none of that is true and you've cut out bits of what I said. I was being optimistic and you're being deliberately obtuse.

Here's what you've decided to change.

1 "Saili could be a game changer for us - as long he's not hating it id start him"

So what I'm saying here is I'd start him ahead of Roberts or Marchant as long as there's some unknown reason we can't -- I now can't remember his name but we had someone in the past two years who didn't appear because they weren't settling at the club.

2 I mean a few overseas players have moved to various sides in England and just not enjoyed it, families not settled, etc -- so in other words, unless there's some weird reason why he's not performing, I think he has the potential to totally transform our attack.

You now claim this sentence is saying he's not going to perform and is pessimistic. It says precisely the opposite, it says he could transform our attack.

3 I was - and am - saying I think he'll transform the team, pause, deep breath, unless there's some (as yet unknown) reason why he doesn't quite gel with the side, or doesn't get the system, or gets the clap and can't run for scratching his crotch.

Again, this sentence, specifically says as a matter of clarification for T-Bone that I think he's fantastic (saili not T-Bone, although I'm sure he/she is lovely) and will be great barring some unforseen thing that has nothing to do with his past performance. To try to help you get some further clarity here, we signed Jamie Roberts and he has done precisely nothing for us - but you wouldn't have predicted that before we signed him.

I really don't know what else to say other than to congratulate you on starting an argument on a point with which you are in agreement.

25 July, 2017 13:34
Oh dear, blucher, please don't obfuscate like that.

Quote:
blucherquin
1 "Saili could be a game changer for us - as long he's not hating it id start him"
So what I'm saying here is I'd start him ahead of Roberts or Marchant as long as there's some unknown reason we can't -- I now can't remember his name but we had someone in the past two years who didn't appear because they weren't settling at the club.

If you are so positive about Saili, Why bring up the idea that he may be "hating it" in the first place? Why not simply say that based on what you've seen/know, he's be in the mix for a starting position instead of muddying the waters with the "hating it" phrase? You yourself were the one who introduced the issue.

Quote:
blucherquin
2 I mean a few overseas players have moved to various sides in England and just not enjoyed it, families not settled, etc -- so in other words, unless there's some weird reason why he's not performing, I think he has the potential to totally transform our attack.

Again, YOU are the one introducing the element of doubt into the conversation here. Saili has already shown that he's happy to move halfway round the world with his move to Munster. There is no reason to doubt that a move a few hundred miles will go a lot smoother than a move of tens of thousands of mile did, but YOU are the one who raised the spectre of "Oh no! he's an overseas player, so he may have trouble!" while the evidence points firmly in the opposite direction.

You claim to be optimistic, but it is you who has been raising all the "what ifs?" about how he might not settle, he may hate it, he may not gel, he may not get the system, etc. based on no evidence whatsoever. That is not a tenable position.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
25 July, 2017 14:23
This isn't an Oxford debate Fred, it's a chat board - my position is as tenable as I want it to be.

A literal equivalent to my repeated point would be "I'm going to the game on Saturday unless I get mown down by a car or Mrs Blucher makes other arrangements". In other words, I'm going to the game barring something we can't predict - I'm not sure how weird that is, it seems pretty reasonable to me.

You're choosing to interpret my words in a different way from which they were intended even though I'm telling you repeatedly that you're misunderstanding what I meant.

I think we'll have to agree to agree that he's a great signing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/07/2017 14:29 by blucherquin.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
25 July, 2017 16:54
Quote:
blucherquin

Oh the irony! (Sm22)

blucherquin (IP Logged)
25 July, 2017 17:43
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
blucherquin

Oh the irony! (Sm22)

Really? Must have really got under your skin huh?

25 July, 2017 19:37
Blucher, have you ever wondered why you get in so many @#$%&-for-tat arguments on here...

blucherquin (IP Logged)
25 July, 2017 20:19
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
Blucher, have you ever wondered why you get in so many @#$%&-for-tat arguments on here...

Looks like you can't say @#$%& on here. That could be why.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/07/2017 20:24 by blucherquin.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
25 July, 2017 21:51
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen

Looks like you can't say @#$%& on here. That could be why.

Maybe you should consider anger management therapy?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Harlequins Poll

Is a poll here a stupid idea?

See results > Submit >>