rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site


Law changes announced
blucherquin (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 14:55
The World Rugby Executive Committee has approved the addition of six law amendments to the programme of global law trials.

The amendments, which have been tried in specific international competitions this year, relate to the scrum (Law 20) and tackle/ruck (Laws 15 and 16), and are aimed at making the game simpler to play and referee, as well as further protecting player welfare.

The six law amendments will debut in full from 1 August 2017 in the northern hemisphere, and from 1 January 2018 in the southern hemisphere, and are as follows...

Throwing the ball into the scrum
Law 20.5 & 20.5 (d) 5

No signal from referee. The scrum-half must throw the ball in straight, but is allowed to align their shoulder on the middle line of the scrum, therefore allowing them to stand a shoulder width towards their own side of the middle line.

Rationale: To promote scrum stability, a fair contest for possession while also giving the advantage to the team throwing in.

Handling in the scrum – exception
Law 20.9 (b)

The number eight shall be allowed to pick the ball from the feet of the second-rows.

Rationale: To promote continuity.

Striking after the throw-in
Law 20

Once the ball touches the ground in the tunnel, any front-row player may use either foot to try to win possession of the ball. One player from the team who put the ball in must strike for the ball.

Rationale: To promote a fair contest for possession.

Sanction: Free-kick

Law 15.4 (c)
The tackler must get up before playing the ball and then can only play from their own side of the tackle “gate”.

Rationale: To make the tackle/ruck simpler for players and referees and more consistent with the rest of that law.

Ruck
Law 16

A ruck commences when at least one player is on their feet and over the ball which is on the ground (tackled player, tackler). At this point the offside lines are created. Players on their feet may use their hands to pick up the ball as long as this is immediate. As soon as an opposition player arrives, no hands can be used.

Rationale: To make the ruck simpler for players and referees.

Other ruck offences
Law 16.4

A player must not kick the ball out of a ruck. The player can only hook it in a backwards motion.

Rationale: To promote player welfare and to make it consistent with scrum law.

Sanction: Penalty

*The November 2017 Tests will operate under the full global law trials, while Women’s Rugby World Cup 2017 will operate under the package of five global law trials that has been operational in the southern hemisphere since January and was operational during the June test window.

 
Re: Law changes announced
Adi Nako (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 16:53
All seem pretty decent to me.

 
Re: Law changes announced
Stooperman (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 17:01
Agreed Adi, all eminently sensible. The Italians will have to find a different tactic (Sm100). The put in can be policed properly, and the 8 can pick up under pressure.

I like all of these changes I think.

 
Re: Law changes announced
Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 19:10
Quote:
Stooperman
Agreed Adi, all eminently sensible. The Italians will have to find a different tactic (Sm100). The put in can be policed properly, and the 8 can pick up under pressure.
I like all of these changes I think.

But will it, the last attempt lasted for all of about 3 weekends?

 
Re: Law changes announced
Monte (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 21:06
Props are hookers now is that right or Am I mad what a load of tosh! Bring back JAS I am sure he can hook. We need small Nos 8s who can burrow!

 
Re: Law changes announced
Stooperman (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 21:36
Quote:
Monte
Props are hookers now is that right or Am I mad what a load of tosh! Bring back JAS I am sure he can hook. We need small Nos 8s who can burrow!

No. Any of the fromt row can hook the ball, in practice this means the hooker. You can pick the ball up from the second row, you need to keep the pressure on while you do this or the scrum will shoot past you, midgets need not apply.

Some people have obviously never played in the scrum!

 
Re: Law changes announced
PQ2 (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 07:52
At last!-A return to sensible scrummaging as it used to be practised in days of yore. The 9 puts it in straight, hooker hooks, props prop-up, locks push & 8s do whatever they're meant to (-I was a hooker; no idea what went on behind me: crouch, strike, push..)

Only shame is that it took a 30-year detour to get back to Square One; I wonder why?
-I blame the southern hemisphere myself

 
Re: Law changes announced
RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 08:01
Law 16 - does this mean the jackaller must give up his effort to turn over as soon as a defender arrives, or that he cannot try AFTER the defender arrives? Seems to move the question of whether the tackled player didn't release or the tackler rolled away to whether the tackled player didn't release or the jackaller was beaten by the ruck.

 
Re: Law changes announced
QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 08:24
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Law 16 - does this mean the jackaller must give up his effort to turn over as soon as a defender arrives, or that he cannot try AFTER the defender arrives? Seems to move the question of whether the tackled player didn't release or the tackler rolled away to whether the tackled player didn't release or the jackaller was beaten by the ruck.

Who/what is 'the jackaller'?

 
Re: Law changes announced
Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 08:27
The tackle jackal - McCaw, Pocock, anyone good at stealing the ball in a tackle/ruck situation.

 
Re: Law changes announced
T-Bone (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 08:38
All seem sensible. Straight put in won't be policed, so pretty pointless. Good to see no8 can pick up though. It's so frustrating when the ball is more or less available and the scrum goes down and is re-set on safety grounds, when the ball actually could have been used.

Not being able to kick the ball out of a ruck I think will prove tricky to enforce consistently. You could try to rake it back but accidentally kick it forward while doing so, or try to rake it back and it hits someone and shoots forward.

 
Re: Law changes announced
Monte (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 09:22
You are right Stooperman!

 
Re: Law changes announced
Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 12:24
Quote:
Not being able to kick the ball out of a ruck I think will prove tricky to enforce consistently. You could try to rake it back but accidentally kick it forward while doing so, or try to rake it back and it hits someone and shoots forward.

Well the first would be a penalty, no problem there. The second is covered by the existing law so if there's a problem it's always been there.



BB

 
Re: Law changes announced
Adi Nako (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 16:00
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Law 16 - does this mean the jackaller must give up his effort to turn over as soon as a defender arrives, or that he cannot try AFTER the defender arrives? Seems to move the question of whether the tackled player didn't release or the tackler rolled away to whether the tackled player didn't release or the jackaller was beaten by the ruck.

If the player has hands on the ball before an opposing player arrives, the attacking team will be pinged for holding on. So the latter. This change seems to be in response to the Italy vs England tactics. Ruins the fun of shouting "no ruck" at amateur games!


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?