rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

7s This weekend
HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 13:48
Any thoughts on the team/who we would like to see???

Ill go something like -

Elia Elia
Lamb Cona
White
Cheeseman
Mickalcius
Lang
Waters
Ibitoye
R Chisholm
Walker
x 2 New Academy lads/guest from Kenya, Abu Dhabi

Re: 7s This weekend
SimonG19 (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 15:08
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Any thoughts on the team/who we would like to see???
Ill go something like -

Elia Elia
Lamb Cona
White
Cheeseman
Mickalcius
Lang
Waters
Ibitoye
R Chisholm
Walker
x 2 New Academy lads/guest from Kenya, Abu Dhabi

I'd be very confident of winning the competition with that team. However I think someone might notice we were playing twelve men.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 15:13
12 man squad as per usual, simples

T-Bone (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 15:25
Looks about right but not sure if those who played in u20 RWC will be rested, or if they'll risk Walker and Chisholm

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 15:29
Walker has been our "go to" senior player for Captaining the 7's squad this season, so I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the squad for the w/e.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 15:30
Nice if we did have a go. Last few years the main players have been unavailable due to first team duties. I would not be surprised if a few sides had stronger teams this year. Only over one weekend with no other games on.

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 22:12
Quote:
HonkyTonk

"Any thoughts on the team/who we would like to see???"

12 in squad, 7 in team. Simples.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
25 July, 2017 07:26
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
HonkyTonk

I think you are being a bit silly (but it is the school holidays) (Sm108)

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
25 July, 2017 11:02
You think that's being silly?

FFaaaarrrrttttt!!!

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 11:49
Henry Cheeseman will captain the 12-man squad against Gloucester Rugby and London Irish in Pool B of the Singha 7s.

In a youthful squad, ten members of the full time Harlequins Academy feature including Dino Lamb and Gabriel Ibitoye who represented England at the U20s World Rugby Championships.

Elite Player Development Group (EPDG) member Jack Musk is named in the squad after recently helping England secure silver in the Rugby Sevens at the Youth Commonwealth Games.

Former member of the Academy Niall Saunders is also named in the squad.

Harlequins squad for the Singha Premiership Rugby 7s

1. John Okafor
2. Dino Lamb
3. Jack Musk
4. Jonas Mikalcius
5. Henry Cheeseman (c)
6. Calum Waters
7. Gabriel Ibitoye
8. Marcus Smith
9. Niall Saunders
10. James Lang
11. Jake Hennessey
12. Cadan Murley

Just noticed Wasps squad, I thought it was more a Youth/development comp!!!

Wasps’ 12 man squad for Singha 7s
1. Marcus Watson
2. Brendan Macken
3. Christian Wade
4. Gabiriele Lovobalavu
5. Gabriel Oghre
6. Alex Rieder
7. Guy Thompson
8. Owain James
9. Dan Robson (c)
10. Craig Hampson
11. Josh Bassett
12. Guy Armitage

26 July, 2017 11:55
It's one of those things like the Anglo-Welsh. Some clubs embrace the ethos of the competitions being an arena for up & coming talent, while others take the view that Silverware is Silverware, so field the best team to give themselves a chance of winning it.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 12:07
Pretty impressive Wasps squad.

Not at all surprised to see Walker and Chisholm aren't being risked. No Aspland-Robinson. Is he injured? Thought that NFL chap might get a run out too, but not sure if he's still on trial with us or not

fandg2 (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 12:21
Quote:
T-Bone
Pretty impressive Wasps squad.
Not at all surprised to see Walker and Chisholm aren't being risked. No Aspland-Robinson. Is he injured? Thought that NFL chap might get a run out too, but not sure if he's still on trial with us or not

Aspland Robinson did his ACL in an England match during the U20 World Cup if my memory serves

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 12:32
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
HonkyTonk

OK as you are on holiday I'll forgive you for not knowing the difference between a squad and a team - and for not recognising a joke!

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 12:43
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
HonkyTonk

OK as you are on holiday I'll forgive you for not knowing the difference between a squad and a team - and for not recognising a joke!

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Jokes are meant to be funny winking smiley

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 14:06
Harlequins squad for the Singha Premiership Rugby 7s

1. John Okafor
2. Dino Lamb
3. Jack Musk
4. Jonas Mikalcius
5. Henry Cheeseman (c)
6. Calum Waters
7. Gabriel Ibitoye
8. Marcus Smith
9. Niall Saunders
10. James Lang
11. Jake Hennessey
12. Cadan Murley

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 18:13
Telly?

26 July, 2017 18:21
Yup. BT Sport. It's also being streamed.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
27 July, 2017 09:26
(Sm160)

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
28 July, 2017 12:26
BT Sport1 from 6pm tonight

Day One fixtures

18:00 - Wasps v Newcastle Falcons

18:22 - Harlequins v Gloucester

18:44 - Sale Sharks v Worcester Warriors

19:06 - Exeter Chiefs v Northampton Saints

19:28 - Wasps v Leicester Tigers

19:50 - Harlequins v London Irish

20:12 - Sale Sharks v Bath

20:34 - Exeter Chiefs v Saracens

20:56 - Newcastle Falcons v Leicester Tigers

21:18 - Gloucester v London Irish

21:40 - Worcester Warriors v Bath

22:02 - Northampton Saints v Saracens

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
28 July, 2017 18:22
Laughably bad. Talented kids with no cohesion whatsoever. Some excellent defence, but if you can't hold on to the ball it means nothing.

Stoopendous (IP Logged)
28 July, 2017 18:24
Have they met each other prior to this evening? Doesn't look like it.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
28 July, 2017 18:57
We were useless!!!!!

Monte (IP Logged)
28 July, 2017 19:29
Where is HOWARD Graham? Is he still academy coach? Nothing showing on web? He is the 7s expert. Looks as though Wig or JK have coached our team!

28 July, 2017 19:31
A real shame that there is no agreement between the clubs as to the strength of squads deployed for this competition, a complete mismatch in most of the games to date.

Monte (IP Logged)
28 July, 2017 19:35
Yes agree

Monte (IP Logged)
28 July, 2017 19:47
Warren Abrahams our coach according to BT England 7s academy coac. We look better v Irish!

Monte (IP Logged)
28 July, 2017 19:58
Should finish 2nd in group unless Irish beat Glos. but huge gap between teams.

MickyThe Lunch (IP Logged)
28 July, 2017 19:58
24 - 10 win. Better.

fandg2 (IP Logged)
28 July, 2017 20:21
Gloucester need to beat Irish or Irish beat gloucester without a bonus point puts us through. Don't really want to go through as 8th seed either as Wasps are a different class.

I do wonder whether wasps are trying to drag/goading the other clubs to field better sides by putting out such a strong side themselves then stuffing everyone.

Think Howard Graham been let go, heard a rumour last season. Think it's bad form if he has/was and there was no announcement.

fandg2 (IP Logged)
28 July, 2017 22:25
Qualified 6th so have Gloucester in the cup 1st game tomorrow. Half a chance with missing Wasps and Exeter on the other side of the draw. Looks like Mickalius has damaged his knee the way he was holding it when he went down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/07/2017 23:08 by DOK.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
29 July, 2017 01:10
Hmmm. ACL was.my first thought. Not good.

Monte (IP Logged)
29 July, 2017 13:09
Oh thought it was is ankle. Anyway will be much missed

29 July, 2017 14:24
Quote:
Monte
Oh thought it was is ankle. Anyway will be much missed

Certainly what the commentary team said.

29 July, 2017 15:02
Lamb is also out, according to the Club

29 July, 2017 15:25
Falcons beat Warriors to progress, my money was certainly on Warriors based on the games last night.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
29 July, 2017 15:32
Tackling optional

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
29 July, 2017 15:34
Is Marcus Smith a Quins player?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
29 July, 2017 15:37
Why do we keep taking contact with 2 defenders?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
29 July, 2017 15:39
So frustrating!

29 July, 2017 15:43
That was a tight game!

29 July, 2017 15:44
But a good win.

West Stand Quin (IP Logged)
29 July, 2017 15:47
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Is Marcus Smith a Quins player?

He's a real prospect at 10, Brighton College alumni (also where the Chisholm's & JTH went) think he only left this year.

Hennessy in the centre is also a great prospect, captained the U18s last year who won the league.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
29 July, 2017 16:30
Quote:
Fearless Fred
That was a tight game!

Who were we playing and what was the score? If we won, do you know we have next?

29 July, 2017 16:39
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
Fearless Fred
That was a tight game!

Who were we playing and what was the score? If we won, do you know we have next?

Gloucs 24 - 26 Quins. Through to the Semi vs Newcastle (Expected to kick off around 6:15pm)

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
29 July, 2017 16:51
En y va, Arlequins!

thumbs down (Sm153)

raedarius (IP Logged)
29 July, 2017 18:13
Hmm, Lang's primary role in the semi final seems to be to chase the Newcastle player back but not really do anything to stop them scoring.

29 July, 2017 18:21
Ah well. Into extra time but losing to a "golden" score.

raedarius (IP Logged)
29 July, 2017 18:22
Ibitoye contributes to losing the game by not realising that we needed the conversion to win. Disappointing.

Monte (IP Logged)
29 July, 2017 18:22
We have another Botica clearly did not understand needed to go under the posts what a pilloch!

Quintastic. (IP Logged)
29 July, 2017 18:23
What a burk.

DOK (IP Logged)
29 July, 2017 19:02
Some poor tackling throughout and, as you say, no thought from Ibitoye - but we had our chances. Came back well from behind to get to extra time.Just looked like a scratch team, but at least we progressed to the cup semi final. Yes, we could/should have made the final, but if you asked me to predict where we'd get to before the competition, it wouldn't be that far! The lads did well, and should be congratulated for that.

Monte (IP Logged)
29 July, 2017 19:10
agree DOk just annoying let's hope he learns!

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
29 July, 2017 19:38
A vainglorious time to make a mistake and learn from it, n'est que pas?

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
29 July, 2017 20:18
Quote:
n'est que pas?

n'est-ce pas? Surely? smiling smiley

BB

29 July, 2017 20:30
D`accord

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
30 July, 2017 08:19
Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
n'est que pas?

n'est-ce pas? Surely? smiling smiley

Oui!

Squid (IP Logged)
30 July, 2017 10:07
We all make mistakes when tired and under pressure.

C'est la vie!

PQ2 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 08:49
-Pot pourri! -Trop de Franglais ici, innit

Arlequin (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 12:19
It annoys me to see so called fans criticise our youngsters. They were a scratch side and to almost make the final is a great achievement. Marcus Smith at 18 is already playing for England U20 and has every chance of being our starting 10 in 5 years time.Ibitoye will also be a first team player

Lay off

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 13:50
Arlequin , I agree somewhat with your thought , but whilst they are youngsters they are also professional rugby players and fan opinion goes with the paycheck. I doubt they would be bothered by it and honest players know when they've made a mistake .

I enjoyed all the Quins games and apart from the first one against Gloucester when they seemed to lack some confidence after a good start , they grew as a team and played really well throughout.

Its a learning curve for the players as well , Im sure someone of the calibre of Warren Abrahams will point out any individual errors to help them develop .

Hoping the injuries to Mikalcius , Cheeseman and Lamb Cona aren't too serious - I thought Marcus Smith and Callum Waters were excellent throughout , and its a shame we didn't see much of the lock Okafor ,in the few mins he was on he looked big and useful so looking forward to the A games to see how he performs.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 14:36
I thought Hennesey and Saunders were also good. I think I am right that Saunders has left the academy

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 16:48
I thought they improved drastically after the first game. They seemed to lack the physicality of some of the other teams though, and there wasn't the electric pace individually that we've seen in the past from OLH, Charlie Walker etc. (In my opinion, before anyone lambasts me for possibly being wrong). I also thought we'd see more of Okafor.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 17:10
I agree about the pace thing. Smith looked our quickest to me (although Waters and Saunders were nippy). I was a bit disappointed in Lang. Cheeseman looked very good under the high ball. Ibitoye, not the situation with the try but in general looked like he has to work on his decision making. Quite a few times he seemed to just throw random balls rather than taking the option of getting pushed into touch. I understand trying to keep the ball alive but they were aimless balls in wet/slippery conditions. Saying that I still think we have a very good young player on our hands and as said above, they will learn from these type of things. Not going to be too hard on any on them, I thought they showed alot of spirit and character to come back after the first game (and deal with the injuries)

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 18:22
Quote:
...to work on his decision making...throw random balls...getting pushed into touch....keep the ball alive...aimless balls in wet/slippery conditions...showed a lot of spirit and character to come back...

Sounds like a perfect Quin!(Sm100)

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
02 August, 2017 08:58
Quote:
HonkyTonk
I agree about the pace thing. Smith looked our quickest to me (although Waters and Saunders were nippy). I was a bit disappointed in Lang. Cheeseman looked very good under the high ball. Ibitoye, not the situation with the try but in general looked like he has to work on his decision making. Quite a few times he seemed to just throw random balls rather than taking the option of getting pushed into touch. I understand trying to keep the ball alive but they were aimless balls in wet/slippery conditions. Saying that I still think we have a very good young player on our hands and as said above, they will learn from these type of things. Not going to be too hard on any on them, I thought they showed alot of spirit and character to come back after the first game (and deal with the injuries)

Agree with this. Conditions weren't great. The players are without doubt very skilled. It just looked like boys against men at times. I have no doubt that group will produce at least a handful of top quality players for the long term.

Maybe it's that there is no consistent approach to sevens across the teams? Some go for bulk, some go for speed, some seem to have a balance (as we did in the past). Had the conditions been better, they may have suited Quins perfectly (or not).

One interesting point for me was the non-selection of Charlie Walker, and whether that's an indication that he's going to be used more in the Premiership squad this season?

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
02 August, 2017 14:21
Or he's (Walker) injured or they wanted to try out some others...

02 August, 2017 14:54
Walker isn't injured. On the Quins Instagram feed he's shown training with the squad in Germany this week.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
02 August, 2017 15:20
The same could be said of a few players that could have played to be fair. South, White, Chisholm x 2. I expect we wanted to avoid any injuries to the main squad.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
02 August, 2017 15:37
My reason for focussing on Walker is that he seemed last season to be the main "senior" player in the sevens squad. I hope he is going to be seen more in the XVs team - his pace is electric and if his defence improves he could be a great asset.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net