rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Marcus Smith
Cookie (IP Logged)
03 August, 2017 15:22
Has been called up to the England training squad.

Lots of Lions missing, but still mightily impressive stuff.

Re: Marcus Smith
HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
03 August, 2017 15:35
Head and Murly in the U18 squad too

T-Bone (IP Logged)
03 August, 2017 15:43
Congratulations to him.

Usual suspects involved, other than Marler, who is amongst a group of Lions who chose the option to rest.

No place for Yarde, Collier or Clifford

England Head Coach Eddie Jones has announced his training squad to take part in a pre-season camp at the Lensbury Hotel later this week.

As part of the squad, six Harlequins have been selected in Chris Robshaw, Kyle Sinckler, Mike Brown, Danny Care, Joe Marchant and first year Academy member Marcus Smith.

Joe Marler is among a group of Lions players who have opted to remain on their summer break.

The seven players involved with the Lions tour who have opted to attend the camp will not train and will only take part in medical check-ups, as well as coach and strength & conditioning reviews.

The home Old Mutual Wealth Series played in November will involve three Tests against Argentina, who England beat 2-0 in June; Australia, who have lost on the previous four occasions to England; and Samoa who last played England in 2014.

Eddie Jones said: “We are at an incredibly important stage with two years to go to the Rugby World Cup in Japan and there is still a big step to make if we want to be the number one team in the world. We are going to have to be meticulous in a preparation in everything we do as we build towards Tokyo and that is why this camp this vital ahead of this season.

“The players, coaches and staff will use these three days to reconnect and ensure we are all clear on what our priorities and expectations are ahead of the Premiership season as well as the upcoming Old Mutual Wealth Series.”

Following two camps in August and September (Oxford), a final England squad will be announced on the 26 October to play in the Old Mutual Wealth Series.

England will travel to Portugal for a week’s training camp at the end of October before final preparations begin at Pennyhill Park ahead of the first Test versus Argentina (11 November).

England training squad for Lensbury camp:
Forwards
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers) – Monday only*
Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs)
Tom Curry (Sale Sharks)
Tom Dunn (Bath Rugby)
Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby)
Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers)
Jamie George (Saracens)- Saturday only*
Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
Nathan Hughes (Wasps)
Nick Isiekwe (Saracens)
Maro Itoje (Saracens) – Saturday only*
Joe Launchbury (Wasps)
Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)
Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins) – Saturday only*
Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby)
Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs)
Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons)
Billy Vunipola (Saracens)

Backs
Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Danny Care (Harlequins)
Nathan Earle (Saracens)
Owen Farrell (Saracens) – Saturday only*
George Ford (Leicester Tigers)
Piers Francis (Northampton Saints)
Alex Lozowski (Saracens)
Harry Mallinder (Northampton Saints)
Joe Marchant (Harlequins)
Jack Maunder (Exeter Chiefs)Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby)
Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs) – Monday only*
Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens)
Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs)
Marcus Smith (Harlequins)
Denny Solomona (Sale Sharks)
Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers)
Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby) – Monday only*
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

England training camps:
Sunday 24- Tuesday 26 September: training camp, Oxford
Sunday 29 October- Friday 3 November: training camp, Portugal

Old Mutual Wealth Series
Saturday 11 November: England v Argentina
Saturday 18 November: England v Australia
Saturday 25 November: England v Samoa

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
03 August, 2017 15:51
Seems a slightly odd call considering there are no other players of similar youthfulness in the squad but fair play to him!

Quintastic. (IP Logged)
03 August, 2017 16:25
So whats clifford done to annoy eddie?

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
03 August, 2017 16:35
I love the fact that Eddie has chosen Marcus Smith, he won't play for the team for a while but he is meant to be freakishly talented, he has also done the same with Isiekwe who is a super talent who will probably not play before 2019, this only helps the players grow being around the England environment and you have seen the same results with NZ and their apprenticeship scheme.

Quintastic, i think clifford is talented but no one can say he has grabbed his opportunities in an England shirt although he has been injured a bit to be fair to the guy, he is behind Billy and Hughes at No 8 and other players at flanker. He is now some way behind the others and i don't think he will play for England this season baring injury.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
03 August, 2017 17:13
Clifford needs to cement his place in the Quins side before anything else to be fair.

fandg2 (IP Logged)
03 August, 2017 17:42
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Clifford needs to cement his place in the Quins side before anything else to be fair.

I would also have thought Marcus Smith would have needed to play for the 1st before anything else to be fair! Don't really get this selection, fair play to the lad but hope it doesn't turn sour for him

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
03 August, 2017 18:10
Apart from brief mention here:-

Quote:
West Stand Quin
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Is Marcus Smith a Quins player?

He's a real prospect at 10, Brighton College alumni (also where the Chisholm's & JTH went) think he only left this year.

Hennessy in the centre is also a great prospect, captained the U18s last year who won the league.

...I can't find a reference to him on this board - has he joined? If so, at academy level? Has he played for Quins other than in the 7s? I may have missed this one joining...

Any other details?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
03 August, 2017 18:37
He's first year academy - but only read that on club's twitter just now.

This is what the RFU release says:

"Marcus Smith (Harlequins) has also been called up having been involved in some sessions at England’s training camp in Brighton at the end of last season, as well as playing in England U20s 2017 Six Nations Grand Slam winning squad."

As per other thread on "call up" team, Yarde's England career over barring injury call up, and agree with those who say Clifford won't be either - too much competition now in his positions, so think we'll be keeping him. Likewise Collier - think he will make a squad come Autumn but will prob come back to us midweek - except maybe the Samoa game.

poorfour (IP Logged)
03 August, 2017 21:43
I just wonder what Eddie sees in Williams over Collier. I was not impressed by him against Argentina, and while Collier was less dynamic in the loose, his setpiece was exceptional. I guess the trend is to go for ball players with a "good enough" setpiece.

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
03 August, 2017 21:43
I think we need to remember it's a training squad. I don't think Smith will be anywhere near the real thing.

From what I've seen he's got lots of potential and is one to watch, but is very much one for the future. If he plays this season, I suspect it'll be Cup and A league games only.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 05:51
Quote:
Scrumhead
I think we need to remember it's a training squad. I don't think Smith will be anywhere near the real thing.
From what I've seen he's got lots of potential and is one to watch, but is very much one for the future. If he plays this season, I suspect it'll be Cup and A league games only.

Think Jones is just taking an early look and exposing him to what it's like at the top. Agree he's not about to make a breakthrough for us or England any time this year.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 06:43
He is obviously on the England radar. U18s last season but received a call up for one of the U20 six nations games. I think this kind of thing is a good move. Player like Curry/Isikwie already in the squad also. It means that the next generation of players are also getting England experience and growing together.
His aim this season should be A league and LV. As it sands he is 5th choice at Quins

T-Bone (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 08:35
Dunn and Isiekwe presumably in same group. Young players with a promising future getting early experience

Wigglesworth and Maunder ahead of Robson I find bizarre

Don't agree with Williams ahead of Collier either, but obviously biased there

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 08:44
Quote:
T-Bone

Especially with the praise that Jones gave Collier not so long ago.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 09:23
I never believe a word that comes out of Jones mouth, praise, non praise etc.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 11:06
Quote:
HonkyTonk
I never believe a word that comes out of Jones mouth, praise, non praise etc.

Quote:
Jones, E., on Robshaw
He's been a fantastic six-and-a-half,...As soon as I went to watch him play closely, he was like a Richard Hill. He's one of those guys that works so hard off the ball and does the little things you don't see. That's his greatest attribute. He's got such a good character and I can't say that more sincerely. He's courteous and he helps out people within the team all the time. When you play 55 Tests in the back row, you're a b l o o d y good player.

(Sm100)

Monte (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 12:32
Latest EJ video said some players moved up after Argentina and some moved down! Whatever that means we can ask him in September!

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 12:49
I think Clifford just suffered through being injured. Players like Curry and Wilson got a chance in his absence and were very good. Competition for places in this England team is right up there.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 13:52
Interesting quotes from Jones in the BBC write-up...

Quote:
Eddie Jones (via the BBC)
Jones has also drafted in 18-year-old Harlequins' Marcus Smith, who he believes is the "best young fly-half" in England.
Smith has yet to make his senior debut for Quins, but former Japan coach Jones has been monitoring his progress for a while.

"Back in 2015, Japan had a lot of training camps in Brighton, and I saw him train with his school. He is a guy that stood out," Jones said.

"He was in the development pathway for England, and I've been keeping close tabs on him.

"He's certainly the best young fly-half around, and we need some pressure on those old guys George [Ford] and Owen [Farrell].

"We see enough about him to be the fourth-choice 10 in our squad."

Dave L (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 13:54
Congrats to Marcus Smith. Enjoy and learn from the experience!

The Robson issue has always surprised me. There must be something that successive coaches aren't keen on because he hasn't had a look in under either Lancaster or Jones.

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
05 August, 2017 10:08
Quote:
T-Bone
Dunn and Isiekwe presumably in same group. Young players with a promising future getting early experience
Wigglesworth and Maunder ahead of Robson I find bizarre

Dunn is older (about 23 I think). He's a very good young hooker whose development has been hit by injuries. Blackadder reckons he'd be good enough to be an All Black!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2017 10:08 by Scrumhead.

MickyThe Lunch (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 00:17
This is great news for Marcus but it's a bit odd in as much that the club now has to promote him more rapidly than they might otherwise have chosen to do were Eddie not taking an interest. However I guess if he's good enough he's old enough, as the saying goes, and if he is as good as Eddie seems to think he is then he might be the solution to all our fly-half problems post NEV. He certainly caught the eye during the Sevens so maybe EJ does know something about rugby😄

Raggs (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 10:06
It's more just Jones not rating Robson seemingly (assuming you mean Wasps' 9). He only moved to Wasps in 2015, and wasn't starting for Glaws before that.

Cookie (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 10:54
Quote:
MickyThe Lunch
This is great news for Marcus but it's a bit odd in as much that the club now has to promote him more rapidly than they might otherwise have chosen to do were Eddie not taking an interest. However I guess if he's good enough he's old enough, as the saying goes, and if he is as good as Eddie seems to think he is then he might be the solution to all our fly-half problems post NEV. He certainly caught the eye during the Sevens so maybe EJ does know something about rugby😄

Let's not overplay this. He's still 4th/5th choice at Quins. EJ just doing what England cricket has always done in blooding youngsters to give them a feel for the levels they need to achieve in the coming 3-4 years.

Smith is one of 5 fly halves in the training squad, so he's not about to get time for England or Quins.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 15:14
I think calling him 5th choice right now is fair, but if he's as good as Eddie seems to think/hope he is then I'm sure we'll see him progress quickly through the ranks at Quins.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 15:32
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
I think calling him 5th choice right now is fair, but if he's as good as Eddie seems to think/hope he is then I'm sure we'll see him progress quickly through the ranks at Quins.

Jones said he's the 4th choice 10 for England as of now - so I'd say so

07 August, 2017 15:33
I thought he said he could be rather than he was?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 15:38
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
I thought he said he could be rather than he was?

"He's certainly the best young fly-half around, and we need some pressure on those old guys George [Ford] and Owen [Farrell].

"We see enough about him to be the fourth-choice 10 in our squad."

Actually I guess it's slightly ambiguous - first time I read it as he was now.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 09:19
This is what the All Blacks do. It lets the incumbent know that there is someone coming for their spot and it gives the newbie real focus on the goals ahead (pun intended, surprisingly..).

EJ and his team are obviously all over English Rugby scouting and spotting and seem to be building a very wide ranging and inclusive system that says to all players that there are no favourites and if you perform outstandingly then you are in.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 09:41
Either way it could be fantastic news for us -- now he can be coached by NEV...you never know we might have that world class 10 we've been talking about....

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 09:48
Certainly hope so but can we hang on to him if he turns out to be that useful?

poorfour (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 10:23
Quote:
deadlyfrom5yardsout

How many academy developed players have we lost when we wanted to hang onto them? I can't think of many.

We've lost a few that maybe we should have hung onto (Launchbury) - but he left because Quins didn't want him at the time.

Cookie (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 10:10
It tickles me that we are musing over losing our 4th choice fly half on the basis that he might turn out to be great, he might want to leave and someone might want to spend loads of money on him some time in the future. Maybe. Perhaps.

We're nothing if not dreamers here. Although I suppose it's a departure from projecting new players won't be any good.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 10:31
My memory is not good enough to agree or disagree but what I do know for sure is that there is a very real and existing "transfer market" with "transfer fees" these days which is probably what I was alluding to...

fandg2 (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 11:33
Quote:
poorfour
Quote:
deadlyfrom5yardsout

How many academy developed players have we lost when we wanted to hang onto them? I can't think of many.

Treadwell and another Irish 9 (can't remember his name atm) is all I can think of in recent times

Essex-Sarrie (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 12:15
I think its great news for Quins and Marcus. Imagine being an 18 year old and being able to train with your England idols and the amount he will learn from the players and coaches.

It'll give him an insight in whats required of him and the commitment needed to achieve it, hopefully he'll get plenty of AW and A League games under his belt and push on from there.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 12:24
Quote:
fandg2
Quote:
poorfour
Quote:
deadlyfrom5yardsout

Treadwell and another Irish 9 (can't remember his name atm) is all I can think of in recent times

Niall Saunders, who guested for us in the 7s?

Sketchley (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 12:39
[www.youtube.com]

Ok so some (most) of those gaps won't be there at senior level. But not bad at all for 18!

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 12:47
Quote:
Sketchley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZdahoKYcFA
Ok so some (most) of those gaps won't be there at senior level. But not bad at all for 18!

Reminds me a lot of my own days as a fly-half cool smiley

08 August, 2017 13:10
He seems to read a defence pretty well, spotting the gaps & mismatches. A decent turn of speed, and a powerful boot on him.

WoTQuin (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 14:01
Jonny Wilkinson was only 18 when he got his first full cap......

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 14:38
Marcus Smith is the new St. Jonny! All Hail the Messiah!

DOK (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 15:40
He's not the Messiah...!

08 August, 2017 15:52
He's a very naughty boy!

Mayor West (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 19:38
Do we have to call him Brian from now on?

fandg2 (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 19:51
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
fandg2
Quote:
poorfour
Quote:
deadlyfrom5yardsout

Niall Saunders, who guested for us in the 7s?

Nope, looked it up in the end, it was Sam Arnold, went off to Ulster now at Munster according to Wikipedia

08 August, 2017 19:53
Never heard of him! I presume he wasn't an adult academy player with us?

fandg2 (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 20:04
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
Never heard of him! I presume he wasn't an adult academy player with us?

No, chose at 18 not to take an adult academy place and go across to Ireland

Square Quin (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 07:43
Anthony Allen? Joe Launchbury?

Almost quin (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 08:48
We let Launchbury go didnt we

09 August, 2017 14:04
Quote:
Square Quin
Anthony Allen? Joe Launchbury?

Neither were ever employed by the club as far as I remember. EPDG members rather than academy.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 15:09
Adam Thompstone I think one of ours, but again, don't think we lost him when we wanted to keep him

Henry Taylor we let go, now with Sarries I think. Sam Stuart we let go, now with Falcons. Treadwell the only one I can really think of who I imagine we wanted to keep but lost and has gone on to bigger things

Mayor West (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 16:21
I don't think you can always accuse us of letting someone go that we should have kept. Quite often, as with Launch, being let go is the kick up the bum that some players need to make them realise that to make it as a top pro you DO need the right attitude and commitment.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 23:13
I still think that the phenomenum of "buying" players openly is a relatively recent thing. I know clubs let players go (Botha, for homesick reasons...ahem) but I just feel that contracts are not quite as bullet proof as they used to be.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 12:26
Quote:
I still think that the phenomenum of "buying" players openly is a relatively recent thing. I know clubs let players go (Botha, for homesick reasons...ahem) but I just feel that contracts are not quite as bullet proof as they used to be.

Players moving while within contract may be on the increase but there never has been such a thing as a "bullet proof" contract. Everything's negotiable.

BB

10 August, 2017 13:09
The recent case of May and Slater swapping clubs while May and Slater both still had a year left on their contracts seems to have sharpened the minds of the PRL & Clubs. It seems you can still approach a club about a player who still has time left on the contract, assuming q fee can be agreed...

T-Bone (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 16:38
Were transfer fees outside the cap before this latest change, or is that a new thing?

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 16:49
Quote:
T-Bone
Were transfer fees outside the cap before this latest change, or is that a new thing?

They were fixed and I thought they counted in the cap.

BB

DOK (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 20:25

KevT (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 07:47
Marcus will have a dual contract with Esher this season and like George Head and Max Coyle who are with Worthing, should get more 'A' team games with Quins due to the enhanced fixture list for this season. Tom Williams is also coaching at Esher and he is now also managing the Full Time Academy players plus also coaching the England Under 20 squad.

Rocker (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 08:06
Hopefully he'll show the improvement that everyone is hoping for /expecting. The coaching structure with esher should be good for that improvement and getting the right amount of game time.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 10:06
A home grown Pivot would be marvellous!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net