Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Jackson's off to Glasgow
Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 10:42
Just announced on the Offy

RUARIDH JACKSON LEAVES HARLEQUINS TO RETURN TO GLASGOW WARRIORS
Tuesday, 8th August 2017 @ 11:01

HARLEQUINS CAN ANNOUNCE TODAY (TUESDAY 8TH AUGUST) THAT FLY-HALF RUARIDH JACKSON WILL LEAVE THE CLUB WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT TO RETURN TO GLASGOW WARRIORS.

Commenting on the announcement, Harlequins Director of Rugby John Kingston said: The approach from Scotland and Glasgow Warriors was a golden opportunity for Ruaridh to further his international career following the recent summer tour.

He goes with our best wishes and I would like to thank him, on behalf of all at Harlequins, for his services provided during his time at the Club.

Jackson joined Harlequins in July 2016 after two seasons with Wasps, a side he made 17 appearances for, scoring 72 points.

Prior to that he spent six seasons at Glasgow Warriors where he made 108 appearances and amassed 443 points.

Having represented Scotland at U18, U19, U20, A, and 7s level, he made his senior Test debut in 2010 against New Zealand at Murrayfield. Following the recent summer tour, he has made 31 international Test appearances.

Making his Harlequins debut in the 2016 London Double Header, Jackson scored 78 points in 19 appearances for the Club.

Jackson added: I have had a great experience playing in the Aviva Premiership for the last few years with two great clubs in Harlequins and Wasps.

My thanks go to everyone at Harlequins, Im leaving with some great memories and friends; I wish them all the best for the coming season.

The move back to Glasgow is a great chance for me to head back to play in a revamped Pro14 league. It is a step into both the known, and the unknown but Im really excited for the challenge ahead.

Ruaridh Jackson
12/02/1988
Height: 6 0
Weight: 86kg
Harlequins appearances: 19
International Tests: 31

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2017 10:43 by Fearless Fred.

Re: Jackson's off to Glasgow
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 10:50
Good move for all involved I'd say.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 10:51
So that leaves us Catrakalis and Swiel.

Which presumably means that Smith and Lang will get a chance to step up at some point this season after all.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 10:54
Don't know why but a memory of Will Greenwood starting at scrum-half years ago just sprang to mind....

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 10:57
Won't go down as one of the great Quins acquisitions but a lot of that was due to injuries and the fact that Nev was an automatic pick when fit.

Good luck to him back at Glasgow.

Overall it still feels like a position we are weak in compared to many clubs, but that is without having seen much of Catrakilis.

08 August, 2017 10:59
It's a good move for him and Scotland, and I have to think that we were going to be rather FH Heavy as a squad with 3 senior players at similar levels, along with 2 up & coming guys in Lang & Smith who will also be pushing to get game time as well.

I have a feeling Jackson was brought in last summer as the club already knew that NEv would be playing less (and would probably pick up niggles/injuries during the 16/17 season) leading to us needing some decent cover. Kingston did the deal for Catrakilis very early in the season, so he obviously was seen as a long-term plan, and Swiel is well thought as well, so maybe Jackson was effectively a stop-gap while we moved the long term plan into place...

Cookie (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 11:06
We signed him and Alofa on the back of long-term injuries. Both were gambles and niggling injuries were to be expected, as was the possibility of not returning to the form of old, which would appear to be the case for Jackson.

Hope he goes well at Glasgow.

akb1 (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 11:11
We never saw the best of him at Quins which was a shame.
Hope he does well in Glasgow and hope he returns to somewhere near his best.

QuincyJones (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 11:38
Wonder if his salary will be put to use on another signing in a different position?

08 August, 2017 11:23
Which position do you have in mind, Quincy? There'd be a question as to who is available at this point as well

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 12:11
Odd timing for a move. Pre season is well underway.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 12:20
As said above, good move for all concerned. Catrakalis is clearly JK's man and I think Swiel is ahead of him, and should be considered a 10, not 15. Lang looks useful and Smith is clearly highly rated, but both will need game time if they're going to improve.

Good luck to Jackson.

QuincyJones (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 12:54
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Which position do you have in mind, Quincy? There'd be a question as to who is available at this point as well�

Well i'd quite like another well built lock!

QuincyJones (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 12:54
Quote:
NicoWilson
Odd timing for a move. Pre season is well underway.

Odd timing if you're a NH player, sure.

euroquin (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 13:28
Indeed, hard to imagine that we are spending up to the cap with this departure. I'd like to see us sign a baby eating lock too.

Arlequin (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 13:32
I am still not sure we have seen the last of the 10 story especially as Super Rugby is now over.

My worry with Catrakalis is that from all I have seen and heard he is a very good kicker but doesn't have a running game, he as much said so in his opening interview. With Roberts outside him that surely makes us a bit one dimensional. The great thing about Nev he could do the lot and if we are to maintain our style of play you really need a direct replacement??

Swiel is a perfect bench 10 as he is a good all rounder who is also comfortable at 15

I have seen nothing yet in Lang to get me excited and I can see him soon overtaken by Smith and eventually cut.

Whilst we have signed quite a few players only Saili would be on big bucks so there must be money to spare.....watch this space?

Rocker (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 13:41
Can't say I'm disappointed. Wasn't all that great for us. I think Sweil and Catrakillis will be it for 10, the 2 academy boys are well thought of and will get game time in the LV and A league. I think we still need another big lump in the second row too.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 13:47
Quote:
Arlequin
I am still not sure we have seen the last of the 10 story especially as Super Rugby is now over.
My worry with Catrakalis is that from all I have seen and heard he is a very good kicker but doesn't have a running game, he as much said so in his opening interview. With Roberts outside him that surely makes us a bit one dimensional. The great thing about Nev he could do the lot and if we are to maintain our style of play you really need a direct replacement??

Swiel is a perfect bench 10 as he is a good all rounder who is also comfortable at 15

I have seen nothing yet in Lang to get me excited and I can see him soon overtaken by Smith and eventually cut.

Whilst we have signed quite a few players only Saili would be on big bucks so there must be money to spare.....watch this space?

Catrakilis was the starting ten for Montpellier, I can't imagine he was cheap...

Teddington Taff (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 16:54
Lang is a real talent.

08 August, 2017 17:00
Quote:
Arlequin

In terms of the money, I suspect our England boys eat up a lot of the cap, and Saili and Roberts also cost a bit (presumably one is outside of the cap, but the money is still being spent). I'm not sure we're actually spending up to the cap anyway as I think that promise was made a couple of years ago when it was lower.

In terms of the 10s, I think we've needed a more steady 10 for a while which is presumably why Catrakilis is coming in. Our 'running game' has been pap for a while so maybe it's time to try a bit more of a structured approach? In any case if we do need to liven things up we then have Swiel (and maybe Lang) so I think it's good to have options.

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 08:57
I don't think Jackson was on that much money in first place. He was binned by wasps so they could bring in Cips, surplus to requirements.

Almost quin (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 09:50
Well if you assume we were not over the cap with Reddish and Jackson going we must be well under the cap now and should be able to afford another player within it. Doubt we will bring anyone in though

DOK (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 10:13
Well the thing is, if you sign another player now, then you have nothing in reserve should someone else become available.

Almost quin (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 10:24
Agreed it has to be the right player but I hope we are looking

blucherquin (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 10:26
I can't see us bringing anyone else in. We've got something like 25-28 (can't quite remember what JK said) players out of contract at the end of this season, if I was him I'd want as much headroom as possible to make some changes.

09 August, 2017 11:49
Quote:
blucherquin
I can't see us bringing anyone else in. We've got something like 25-28 (can't quite remember what JK said) players out of contract at the end of this season, if I was him I'd want as much headroom as possible to make some changes.

Yeah this is the thing. This whole season feels like a bit of a place-holder with that many players supposedly out of contract soon.

I'm sure JK and co will give it a good go, but as long as we're in the Premiership next season, maybe he's thinking let's not spend too much money until we've got a clean slate.

Hard to tell though.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 11:54
Cant quite make JK out tbh. Comes across as sensible, pleasant and intelligent but he proper growled at one of our subs for removing his hivis too soon before going on last Sunday.

He did well with Richmond so lets hope he can repeat it.

Illegitimi non carborundum

09 August, 2017 11:57
Scaramouche: Nice to see you back in the UK. Shame that job as Communications Director at the White House didn't work out...

Cookie (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 12:01
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
blucherquin

Yeah this is the thing. This whole season feels like a bit of a place-holder with that many players supposedly out of contract soon.

I'm sure JK and co will give it a good go, but as long as we're in the Premiership next season, maybe he's thinking let's not spend too much money until we've got a clean slate.

Hard to tell though.

Not buying another set of excuses for mid-table mediocrity again. Assuming we don't have ridiculous amounts of injuries again, we should be competing for at least top 4.

09 August, 2017 12:06
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
blucherquin

Hard to tell though.

Not buying another set of excuses for mid-table mediocrity again. Assuming we don't have ridiculous amounts of injuries again, we should be competing for at least top 4.

I'm certainly not saying it would be an acceptable excuse.

But it wouldn't entirely surprise me if that's the thinking.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 12:17
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Scaramouche: Nice to see you back in the UK. Shame that job as Communications Director at the White House didn't work out...

Oi! Jester minute...I was only mooching about over there.

Almost quin (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 14:03
I don't really understand why having contracts up next year would stop us getting a new player in this myself. I think we are stronger this year and while I don't think top four is a given I think we will be comfortably top 6 fighting for top four

blucherquin (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 14:08
Quote:
Almost quin
I don't really understand why having contracts up next year would stop us getting a new player in this myself. I think we are stronger this year and while I don't think top four is a given I think we will be comfortably top 6 fighting for top four

It doesn't - i just don't think we will. As I say, I'd keep the headroom under the cap to have as much negotiating power as possible in the summer. Doesn't mean they will.

I think we've got a strong squad so why spend the cash...

T-Bone (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 14:39
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Almost quin

It doesn't - i just don't think we will. As I say, I'd keep the headroom under the cap to have as much negotiating power as possible in the summer. Doesn't mean they will.

I think we've got a strong squad so why spend the cash...

We have about 1/3 of the squad up for renewal at the end of every season. I'm not sure why people always get so panicked / excited, or see this as a reason for accepting shortcomings (note referring to anyone in particular, but it happens every season). Contracts in rugby tend to much 2-3 years. They've now stopped announcing the lengths of renewals and new signings. I'm not sure why, possibly so that other clubs won't know whether it's time to tap someone up, possibly because contracts now more often than not have a shorter fixed term with an option to extend.

JK made a big thing about how it wasn't his squad he inherited, and until he'd signed or re-signed them, they weren't his players. I thought that was a pretty awful thing to say, and still think that. I don't think it signals a huge clear out and re-haul of those 25 players out of contract at the end of the season.

JK has had a settling in season, signed who he wants to, within reason, so no excuses this season. Last season was frustrating, but he got us into Europe, so credit where it's due, but any excuses this season about it not being his squad will be pretty damn poor

11 August, 2017 08:36
If we *are* looking for someone this season, is there anyone we like the look of in the Western Force squad? They've just been announced by the ARU as the team that's to be chopped from Super Rugby. I know that they will probably fight it, but the players may be looking at their playing/financial security and be open to offers...

Rocker (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 09:07
I thought there was more than one? (Or is it just one in Australia?) Going from 18 to 15 I thought?

11 August, 2017 09:27
Quote:
Rocker
I thought there was more than one? (Or is it just one in Australia?) Going from 18 to 15 I thought?

It was one from Australia, and the two from South Africa who have since joined the Pro14 (Still feels strange typing 14, not 12!)

akb1 (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 09:31
Quote:
Rocker
The other two are South African sides (Toyota Cheetahs and the Southern Kings) and these are joining the Pro12 making it the Pro14.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 16:42
Quote:
Fearless Fred
If we *are* looking for someone this season, is there anyone we like the look of in the Western Force squad[/url]?...

Hooker: TATAFU POLOTA-NAU
Lock: MATT PHILIP
Lock: ADAM COLEMAN
No 8: BEN MCCALMAN
SH: IAN PRIOR
FH: JONO LANCE
FB: DANE HAYLETT-PETTY

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 16:46
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
Fearless Fred
If we *are* looking for someone this season, is there anyone we like the look of in the Western Force squad[/url]?...

Excellent anagram material.....

Rocker (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 23:24
Thanks fellas :-)

13 August, 2017 08:10
Well, with poor Wallace's injury I assume we can bring in an injury joker?

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 21:33
Quote:
Scaramouche
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
Fearless Fred

Hooker: Potato Fa'Tanualu
Lock: Phat Limpit
Lock: Noel MacAdam
No 8: Mabel McCann
SH: Ani Prior
FH: Jean Colon
FB: Ethylene Tad-Patty

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 00:17
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
Scaramouche
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
Fearless Fred

Hooker: Potato Fa'Tanualu
Lock: Phat Limpit
Lock: Noel MacAdam
No 8: Mabel McCann
SH: Ani Prior
FH: Jean Colon
FB: Ethylene Tad-Patty

(Sm128) Chapeau!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net