Next Coach: Next season
Tickets: Quins

www CAW

Team's up
Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 11:40
HARLEQUINS SQUAD TO PLAY LONDON IRISH
Friday, 11th August 2017 @ 12:00

HARLEQUINS HAS ANNOUNCED THE 33-MAN SQUAD TO PLAY LONDON IRISH IN THE CUNNINGHAM DUNCOMBE SERIES ON SATURDAY AT HAZELWOOD, SUNBURY, KICK-OFF 15:00.

Now in its third year, the series, named in the memory of London Irish fly-half Jarrod Cunningham and Harlequins scrum-half Nick Duncombe, is tied with one win a piece.

The match will be Harlequins’ second pre-season outing following the victory away to Bristol Rugby last week at Cleve RFC.

Harlequins’ squad, which blends youth with experience, includes summer signings Lewis Boyce, Josh McNulty, Phil Swainston and Ben Glynn.

With the aforementioned making a positive impact last week, there is the opportunity for newcomers Frances Saili, Marcus Smith and Dave Lewis to pull on the senior shirt for the first time.

Tomorrow’s game will not be televised, but you can keep up to date with the action by following Harlequins’ Twitter page, @Harlequins.

Harlequins squad
Forwards:
Props: Lewis Boyce, Will Collier, Mark Lambert, Josh McNulty, Phil Swainston
Hookers: Joe Gray, Dave Ward
Second rows: Ben Glynn, James Horwill, Charlie Matthews, George Merrick
Back row: Jack Clifford, Dino Lamb, Chris Robshaw, Stan South, Luke Wallace, Archie White

Backs:
Half-backs: Danny Care, James Lang, Dave Lewis, Charlie Mulchrone, Marcus Smith, Tim Swiel
Centres: Joe Marchant, Jamie Roberts, Frances Saili, Harry Sloan, Winston Stanley
Wingers: Alofa Alofa, Tim Visser, Charlie Walker, Marland Yarde
Full-backs: Mike Brown, Ross Chisholm

Re: Team's up
never sleep (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 11:42
We should easily win if we have 34 players on the pitch.

Quins4life (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 11:51
Intrigued to see how Marcus Smith plays. He is only 18 but with the press he has been receiving makes me think he could step up for us this season. The likes of Ford and Farrell both stepped up at similar ages.

Finknottle (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 11:54
Where is Catrakilis?

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 11:55
nice to see the internationals back in harness

Scaramouche, Scaramouche will you do the fandango...

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 12:02
Over the years i have seen quite a few supposed 'talents' come through rugby -players who at a young age are tipped for the top. Fly halves always seem to fall into one of two categories

1) they are GOING to be amazing - they just need game time and the chance to make mistakes (Jarvis as an example)
2) They are amazing, they make mistakes but are dominating teams aged 18 - (Ford, Farrell, Wilko, Cips)

Can't think of too many players who have started slowly and got better at 10.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 12:10
Quote:
Nev's Left Boot

Can't think of too many players who have started slowly and got better at 10.

Steenson, Gopperth jump out at me.

akb1 (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 12:11
London Irish: 15 Greig Tonks, 14 Alex Lewington, 13 Matt Williams, 12 Fergus Mulchrone, 11 Topsy Ojo, 10 Tommy Bell, 9 Scott Steele, 1 Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi, 2 David Paice (c), 3 Petrus Du Plessis, 4 Josh McNally, 5 Sebastian De Chaves, 6 Mike Coman, 7 Blair Cowan, 8 Ofisa Treviranus

Replacements: 16 Dave Porecki, 17 Gordon Reid, 18 Ollie Hoskins, 19 Will Lloyd, 20 Jake Schatz, 21 Ben Meehan, 22 Ben Ransom, 23 Senitiki Nayalo, 24 Conor Gilsenan, 25 Lasha Lomidze, 26 Napolioni Nalaga, 27 Luke McLean, 28 Ciaran Hearn, 29 Jacob Atkins

Supporters can purchase tickets on the gate priced at £10 for adults and under-16s are free.

Please be advised that ticket purchases are cash only and that car parking at Hazelwood is sold out so we would advise supporters to travel by public transport.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 12:14 by akb1.

11 August, 2017 12:12
Quote:
Finknottle
Where is Catrakilis?

I'd guess we'll see him and Bothma at next weeks' game.

11 August, 2017 12:35
My comments are more about players being built up to be something without actually ever showing it -
Quins (and other clubs) have a had a few young guys play age grade rugby, making a name for themselves, who have not gone on to be the future, as was predicted.

With Smith, he has now been given such a huge profile, having not really done much, i fear that he will be over burdened by such things. Having seen him play last season a few times, i would say that he is the best prospect i have seen in a long time, reminding me of Cips and Farrell as young lads playing, he takes responsibility on the field, makes calls, tells others what to do and has a bit of 'magic' about himself.

Steenson - was he considered to be a top prospect as a youngster - did he play for ireland age grade rugby? If so then fair enough, i thought he was a player that came to the UK to play a bit of rugby having not made it back home?

Gopperth - Not a bad shout, he never played junior all blacks, (i think?) so was never percieved to be the next big thing, but he has certainly got better with age - tough gig to be playing the same age groups as Carter, Evans et al....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 12:43 by Nev's Left Boot.

Finknottle (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 12:39
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
Finknottle
Where is Catrakilis?

I'd guess we'll see him and Bothma at next weeks' game.

Bothma is injured after he fractured his arm last month but I wasn't aware Catrakilis was unavailable?

Almost quin (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 13:00
There are a few missing Catrakilis Bothma ( his injury is well documented ) also Luamanu and Chisholm but there are bound to be a few niggles

11 August, 2017 13:08
I'd forgotten Bothma had been injured. But, as AQ has said, we still haven't seen all our players yet. Plus, there might be a bit of "let's not show LI all our new combinations a few weeks before we meet them in earnest at the LDH" about the lineup.

11 August, 2017 13:40
Strong Irish team - they look like they are going for it!

Cairns Family (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 13:48
Irish pretty much close to a first XV. Should be an interesting afternoon. I would think fairly strong side from us tomorrow and a bit more experimental next week against Jersey

11 August, 2017 14:13
I was thinking Quins would go for a full team next week - as a run out for the LDH.
I figured tomorrow will be about giving game time to those that have not played much?

Brown? Yarde?
Marchant? Roberts? Saili?
Care? Lewis? Smith?
Gray?
Robshaw?

T-Bone (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 15:01
Looking forward to seeing Bothma after JK has told us he's one of the best players going

Anyone know if this will be a normal game, or similar to last week with 4 quarters, or three thirds? Assume it will be unlimited subs?

How old is Ojo? Seems like he's be around forever. Same with Paice. Some very good names in that Irish team

blucherquin (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 15:02
Nothing to suggest anyone is "unavailable" is there beyond the injuries we know about - JK said these games were all about testing combinations - and also not giving away everything to Irish.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 15:39
Quote:
T-Bone
Looking forward to seeing Bothma after JK has told us he's one of the best players going
Anyone know if this will be a normal game, or similar to last week with 4 quarters, or three thirds? Assume it will be unlimited subs?

How old is Ojo? Seems like he's be around forever. Same with Paice. Some very good names in that Irish team

Ojo is 32 and paice 33. Ojo is in many supporters eyes our 5th choice winger so we shall see how he goes. Look forward to seeing some of you tomorrow, looks a strong quins squad!

T-Bone (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 16:03
Quote:
Hugo.LI
Quote:
T-Bone

Ojo is 32 and paice 33. Ojo is in many supporters eyes our 5th choice winger so we shall see how he goes. Look forward to seeing some of you tomorrow, looks a strong quins squad!

Cheers. Ojo is one of those players who just seems to have been playing for years. Must have been a regular starter since very young then.

11 August, 2017 16:32
As for Catrakilis, there's an interview with him on the Prem Rugby site.

Almost quin (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 17:16
Sounds good

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 10:01
The squad has to be limited twosome number, so there have to be some players not picked!

12 August, 2017 10:40
Anyone else remember the pre-season friendly against Connacht a few years back where they ended up with three #23 and two #22 on the pitch? Made life a little difficult for the ref "23! Move back! No, not you 23, *that* 23!"

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 11:53
We were there! Hilarious!

Scaramouche, Scaramouche will you do the fandango...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Harlequins Poll

Is a poll here a stupid idea?

See results > Submit >>