rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from GoogleQuins Official SiteDiamond Geezers Website


Coach Travel Details | Join Quinssa!
Next Coach: Next season
Tickets: Quins

www CAW

 

Wallace injury - back 3?
blucherquin (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 19:38
Given Bothma recovering assuming it'll be

Robshaw
Baby Chis
Luamanu

Still not bad

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 19:59
Hopefully
Robshaw, Clifford and Chis jnr at 8

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Quinnuck (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 20:00
That is going to be a tough one.. dislocated hip (ouch) and it looked like they were struggling to get it back in the joint. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
poorfour (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 20:38
Quote:
Quinnuck
That is going to be a tough one.. dislocated hip (ouch) and it looked like they were struggling to get it back in the joint. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Sadly, a dislocated hip is the sort of injury that can be career ending. I really worry for Wallace. I with him a full recovery, however long it takes. I'd rather he got himself as right as he can be than hurry back.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Almost quin (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 20:23
Bothma should becwith us soon Luamanu finished last season well so I would have him at 8 personally

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 23:35
Wallace is almost certainly out for the season. Ward will no doubt do double duty as a fill in flanker as required, but I hope we'll be looking for injury cover straight away...

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
never sleep (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 05:57
I had a chat with baby Chi's yesterday. Unfortunately, its not going well with him. He has concussion and is not back in contact training yet.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 07:22
so, as it stands we have Clifford, Robshaw, Luamanu and White fit to play. Bothma due back soon. Wallace and Chisholm out for however long. Leaves us quite short. We do have Ward, Elia Elia, Cheeseman and South who have/can cover back row.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
blucherquin (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 07:27
Quote:
never sleep
I had a chat with baby Chi's yesterday. Unfortunately, its not going well with him. He has concussion and is not back in contact training yet.

Oh bum.

Clearly I'd totally forgotten about Clifford as well but that does leave us short,

Spoke to someone in the know about Wallace, apparently it was pretty horrific to see - they reckoned it's likely to keep him out for the season. (They said clearly that was their reaction at the time so prognosis could be better)

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
akb1 (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 08:35
We also have Dino Lamb.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Almost quin (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 09:32
We should get in contact with Wedtern Force there has to be a few back row players there that would appreciate a life line



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2017 14:14 by Almost quin.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Adi Nako (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 10:39
I'm not worried, we've got loads of talented wingers.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Cookie (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 08:32
Medic told me there was "substantial damage". Physio mate thinks 6 months, although that's best case.

Also spoke to George Lowe who said he'd "know more in a couple of weeks". If I were a betting man of day that's going to be retirement.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
JJQuin (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 08:33
Anyone see how it happened? Really unusual injury - I read JK said he was in a good position over the ball but not how he then got injured! My wife's favourite player and a great servant of the club - lets hope the doom-mongers saying this could be career ending are wrong!

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 09:29
If Baby Chis is out for the foreseeable future as well then we do look very light in the back row.

Robshaw, Clifford and Luamanu is fine to start the season, but the options outside that look very light. Bothma isn't even with the club yet, and it'll take time for him to fit in anyway, and then we're looking at White (inexperienced) and Ward (okay but not someone we'd want to have to play there regularly I suspect).

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
COYQ_2017 (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 09:52
Quote:
talkshowhost86
If Baby Chis is out for the foreseeable future as well then we do look very light in the back row.
Robshaw, Clifford and Luamanu is fine to start the season, but the options outside that look very light. Bothma isn't even with the club yet, and it'll take time for him to fit in anyway, and then we're looking at White (inexperienced) and Ward (okay but not someone we'd want to have to play there regularly I suspect).

Botha is with the club - he was there on Saturday and was with the squad in Germany.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 09:50
We also have South as an option. We listed him as a Back Row on Saturday.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Cookie (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 10:04
What is wrong with Bothma? He barely played for the Bulls, so should be good to go.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
T-Bone (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 10:07
Dreadful news for Wallace. Sounds horrendous. Presumably Dino Lamb is a good option too.

Suspect we'll only lose robshaw to England, bot Clifford. No idea if he is over his injury problems. He also seems to get concussed quite a lot, which is a worry, both for him and the team.

Not good news that Chis is still out concussed. How long has that been?

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
COYQ_2017 (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 11:08
Didn't James Chisholm play against Bristol?

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
blucherquin (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 10:53
Quote:
JJQuin
Anyone see how it happened? Really unusual injury - I read JK said he was in a good position over the ball but not how he then got injured! My wife's favourite player and a great servant of the club - lets hope the doom-mongers saying this could be career ending are wrong!

He was over the ball and got cleared out from the side, opponent hit opposite hip and force popped the other one out - ouch is an understatement.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Jammy Git (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 10:54
Not according to the match report.



O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
never sleep (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 11:14
From my recollection of the conversation with Chis (very clouded from the amount of Guinness), he said that he had been out for 5 months and had returned to training - but still had headaches and was therefore back in the return to play protocols.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
blucherquin (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 13:01
Quote:
Jammy Git
Not according to the match report.

That was according to someone on the pitch but guess things look different depending where you're standing

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 13:15
I think he was answering the Chisholm playing against Bristol post.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
blucherquin (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 13:22
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
I think he was answering the Chisholm playing against Bristol post.

Oh I see....

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 16:31
Quote:
never sleep
From my recollection of the conversation with Chis (very clouded from the amount of Guinness), he said that he had been out for 5 months and had returned to training - but still had headaches and was therefore back in the return to play protocols.

He told me that he could be back in a couple of weeks.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
never sleep (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 17:34
I really do hope so. I like to see him listed on the teamsheet.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
The Quin Meister (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 18:16
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
Quote:
never sleep
From my recollection of the conversation with Chis (very clouded from the amount of Guinness), he said that he had been out for 5 months and had returned to training - but still had headaches and was therefore back in the return to play protocols.

He told me that he could be back in a couple of weeks.

Thanks BB - if Baby Chis could be back in a couple of weeks that will be a big relief. However, Chis has taken a long time to recover from his concussion. There has obviously been
some setbacks along the way. I am fairly certain he copped it in the final play of the away game at Glos - a match incidentally when he put in an outstanding Man of the Match performance and won us the game. It must be so frustrating for the lad, as he was really putting down a marker.

So with Wallace now out for the season, I am a tad concerned with our backrow cover.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
COYQ_2017 (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 19:08
Quote:
The Quin Meister
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
Quote:
never sleep
From my recollection of the conversation with Chis (very clouded from the amount of Guinness), he said that he had been out for 5 months and had returned to training - but still had headaches and was therefore back in the return to play protocols.

He told me that he could be back in a couple of weeks.

Thanks BB - if Baby Chis could be back in a couple of weeks that will be a big relief. However, Chis has taken a long time to recover from his concussion. There has obviously been
some setbacks along the way. I am fairly certain he copped it in the final play of the away game at Gloss - a match incidentally when he put in an outstanding Man of the Match performance and won us the game. It must be so frustrating for the lad, as he was really putting down a marker.

So with Wallace now out for the season, I am a tad concerned with our backrow cover.

Has it been confirmed that Wallace is out for the season?

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
poorfour (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 19:50
No, it hasn't been confirmed but a dislocated hip is a major, major injury. It makes no sense to assume he will play this season, and as I have said above I am worried that he may not be able to get back to playing fitness at all.

It was a dislocated hip that ended Bo Jackson's career. He managed to come back and play but had lost so much of what he is. (Jackson was a US MLB / NFL dual code superstar). It's such a rare injury that his is the only other instance I am aware of.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Scrumhead (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 20:17
Quote:
Nev's Left Boot
Hopefully
Robshaw, Clifford and Chis jnr at 8

Assuming Chisholm is back in the reasonably near future this is what I'd go for.

With Wallace out indefinitely (and I very much hope not permanently), we definitely need another 7. Ward is a willing and able option, but should be considered cover, not a starter at 7.

Finding quality injury cover is going to be a massive challenge.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Jammy Git (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 21:38
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
I think he was answering the Chisholm playing against Bristol post.

Oh I see....
Yep sorry, yours went up as I was writing mine.



O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
blucherquin (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 08:38
Quote:
Jammy Git
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
I think he was answering the Chisholm playing against Bristol post.

Oh I see....

Yep sorry, yours went up as I was writing mine.

Oh you saw that? Sorry, I can't help it, I just find your prose very stimulating.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Jammy Git (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 08:48
(Sm100)



O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 23:38
Quote:
poorfour
No, it hasn't been confirmed but a dislocated hip is a major, major injury. It makes no sense to assume he will play this season, and as I have said above I am worried that he may not be able to get back to playing fitness at all.
It was a dislocated hip that ended Bo Jackson's career. He managed to come back and play but had lost so much of what he is. (Jackson was a US MLB / NFL dual code superstar). It's such a rare injury that his is the only other instance I am aware of.

It is a safe bet to say he won't play this year, i agree with you poorfour that it is such a rare injury and normally career ending, the last person i know to have the injury was a player in the NFL from the ravens and the injury made him retire.

Let's hope that he is able to make a full recovery and get back to playing as i truly hope he is an exception to the rule and makes a full recovery as he is a top player and seems like a top bloke too but forget about him playing this season.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Cookie (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 00:22
Why is it a safe bet? Talk is 6 months. Obviously there can be complications, but can we please stop Googling the only dislocated hip injury we can find and make wild assumptions. He's only 26. Jackson was 29.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 01:52
In 6 months time we'll be into 2018 - next year. [:wor kid:]

Yes, I know...

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
blucherquin (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 06:28
Quote:
Cookie
Why is it a safe bet? Talk is 6 months. Obviously there can be complications, but can we please stop Googling the only dislocated hip injury we can find and make wild assumptions. He's only 26. Jackson was 29.

A non google related source says it would be exceptional to be back before the end of the season, six months is as reliable as comparing him to whoever Jackson is

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Cookie (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 13:56
I was at the game with a physio friend of mine who said he had a rugby player who recovered and played again just inside 6 months. And if you want a case study of a 38 year old footballer who returned in 6 months, you can read that here.

But until we know if it was anterior or posterior and until we know what other collateral damage may have been done we'd be wise to stop wildly speculating and predicting his retirement.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 16:15
A new video with Bothma has just been posted. In it, he says he's due a scan in the next few days, and if all goes well he would be ready to play in 2 or 3 weeks. Obviously he may be being optimistic, but at least it's good to know that he's well on the way with his recovery.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
blucherquin (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 16:30
Quote:
Cookie
I was at the game with a physio friend of mine who said he had a rugby player who recovered and played again just inside 6 months. And if you want a case study of a 38 year old footballer who returned in 6 months, you can read that here.
But until we know if it was anterior or posterior and until we know what other collateral damage may have been done we'd be wise to stop wildly speculating and predicting his retirement.

Why? What difference does it make? Is he going to die if we talk about it?

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Fursty (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 16:38
Quote:
Cookie
I was at the game with a physio friend of mine who said he had a rugby player who recovered and played again just inside 6 months. And if you want a case study of a 38 year old footballer who returned in 6 months, you can read that here.
But until we know if it was anterior or posterior and until we know what other collateral damage may have been done we'd be wise to stop wildly speculating and predicting his retirement.

My, admittedly rather limited, understanding is that it's the soft tissue damage that will have the main bearing on the recovery time.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 18:29
Quote:
Fearless Fred
A new video with Bothma has just been posted. In it, he says he's due a scan in the next few days, and if all goes well he would be ready to play in 2 or 3 weeks. Obviously he may be being optimistic, but at least it's good to know that he's well on the way with his recovery.

Didn't he play the part of Ivan Drago?

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Cookie (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 07:57
Quote:
Fursty
Quote:
Cookie
I was at the game with a physio friend of mine who said he had a rugby player who recovered and played again just inside 6 months. And if you want a case study of a 38 year old footballer who returned in 6 months, you can read that here.
But until we know if it was anterior or posterior and until we know what other collateral damage may have been done we'd be wise to stop wildly speculating and predicting his retirement.

My, admittedly rather limited, understanding is that it's the soft tissue damage that will have the main bearing on the recovery time.

Precisely. Until we know that it's silly to suppose anything.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
blucherquin (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 09:34
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Fursty
Quote:
Cookie
I was at the game with a physio friend of mine who said he had a rugby player who recovered and played again just inside 6 months. And if you want a case study of a 38 year old footballer who returned in 6 months, you can read that here.
But until we know if it was anterior or posterior and until we know what other collateral damage may have been done we'd be wise to stop wildly speculating and predicting his retirement.

My, admittedly rather limited, understanding is that it's the soft tissue damage that will have the main bearing on the recovery time.

Precisely. Until we know that it's silly to suppose anything.

But the premise of the thread is who makes up our back 3 in his absence and if we've got enough cover.

We know it's a serious injury and are chatting about what it might mean and how long he might be out.

You might as well say you can't discuss "what happens if North Korea launches a missile" or "will Trump get impeached"

If we can't discuss things we know very little about this board is doomed.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 10:19
Quote:
...If we can't discuss things we know very little about this board is doomed.

Caveman (or cavewoman) 1: "Ug?"
Caveman (or cavewoman) 2: "Ug, ug!"
Caveman (or cavewoman) 1: "Ah!"

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Cookie (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 10:49
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Fursty
Quote:
Cookie
I was at the game with a physio friend of mine who said he had a rugby player who recovered and played again just inside 6 months. And if you want a case study of a 38 year old footballer who returned in 6 months, you can read that here.
But until we know if it was anterior or posterior and until we know what other collateral damage may have been done we'd be wise to stop wildly speculating and predicting his retirement.

My, admittedly rather limited, understanding is that it's the soft tissue damage that will have the main bearing on the recovery time.

Precisely. Until we know that it's silly to suppose anything.

But the premise of the thread is who makes up our back 3 in his absence and if we've got enough cover.

We know it's a serious injury and are chatting about what it might mean and how long he might be out.

You might as well say you can't discuss "what happens if North Korea launches a missile" or "will Trump get impeached"

If we can't discuss things we know very little about this board is doomed.

I have no issue discussing what we do while he's injured. I just find it a little distasteful to say that his season and/or career might be over. No need to go there.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
The Baptist (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 11:16
With Wallace out at least until the start of the year, bothma currently unfit, and Chisholm still suffering from the after affects of concussion we really should be looking for cover.

I see Joe Trayfoot has been released by London Irish. A move that I always found strange at the time and one that really didn't work out for him. Worth resigning? I always thought he was pretty handy. Especially off the bench.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
blucherquin (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 11:51
Quote:
Fearless Fred
A new video with Bothma has just been posted. In it, he says he's due a scan in the next few days, and if all goes well he would be ready to play in 2 or 3 weeks. Obviously he may be being optimistic, but at least it's good to know that he's well on the way with his recovery.

Three South Africans in the squad...we're turning into "they who must not be named"..ya?

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
T-Bone (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 16:12
Quote:
The Baptist
With Wallace out at least until the start of the year, bothma currently unfit, and Chisholm still suffering from the after affects of concussion we really should be looking for cover.
I see Joe Trayfoot has been released by London Irish. A move that I always found strange at the time and one that really didn't work out for him. Worth resigning? I always thought he was pretty handy. Especially off the bench.

I missed that. Shame to hear. I've been disappointed to see several of our young players go, but not many of them have actually gone on to bigger and better things.

Trayfoot, Smith, Stegmann to name a few. I believe Chris York is turning out for Wimbledon now after looking like he might leapfrog Guest to be back up to Easter at one stage.

Not young, but you could add Guest and Robson to that list.

JJ is an odd one, as he went on to win another championship with Sarries, but I'd say his career has suffered.

Presumably we have first dibs on the DR players, so if we do get really short on cover we can get White and Lamb in?

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Cookie (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 16:24
I saw Trayfoot when I spoke to George Lowe on Saturday. I can promise you he's in no shape to play professional rugby..........

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 17:51
It's safe to say that if, alongside Wallace, the club have concerns around Chisholm and Bothma not being available - then they will have to dip into the market and bring in another player regardless of how ready the Academy players are.
However, if the club thinks that Chisholm and Bothma are going to be fit and ready by the second game of the season, there is no need to rush signing a new player. Better to take your time and get a good injury replacement. It also allows you to utilise the younger players coming through.

The last time we had this sort of problem was what brought Luke Wallace to the squad as a young up and comer - pretty sure it was the premiership winning season, when we had a couple of injuries in the back row - one being Tom Guest at the LDH and we had to start this young lad we had not heard of, he played against another up and comer the following game against Saints, Ben Nutley....

Is that right?

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 18:22
I think he got motm that night and for the following two games. Great times!

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
The Baptist (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 19:12
Quote:
Cookie
I saw Trayfoot when I spoke to George Lowe on Saturday. I can promise you he's in no shape to play professional rugby..........

What's the deal with Trayfoot? Has he turned into a fatty?

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Jammy Git (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 09:36
I think he's a pretty chunky guy naturally - his shape change from age group stuff to Quins was quite pronounced. Seems like the sort who can easily put on a load of weight.

I know the feeling...



O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 10:34
George Napoua is available again. His missus is also signed up for the ladies next season so i guess he is still local

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 13:49
Quote:
HonkyTonk
George Napoua is available again. His missus is also signed up for the ladies next season so i guess he is still local

I thought he retired through injury? Or am I confusing him with another of our back rowers?

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 14:59
Talei

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 21:20
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Talei

Ah yes, my mistake.

 
Re: Wallace injury - back 3?
akb1 (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 21:40
George Naoupu is now Head coach of Wicklow RFC so may not be based here, but as you mention his wife has signed for Harlequins Ladies next season so maybe he is still local


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 

Harlequins Poll

Is a poll here a stupid idea?

See results > Submit >>

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?