rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

The Return of the Player Performance Survey
ComeAllWithin.co.uk (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 10:28
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2017 22:56 by DOK.

Re: The Return of the Player Performance Survey
DOK (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 10:01
Well this should be fun! smiling smiley All I'd say is don't punish the players, just give them an honest assessment of performance.
Cheers.

DOK (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 10:24
Oh - and those of you who use Google forms will know it doesn't collect IP addresses or email addresses, so your entry is totally anonymous - honestly!

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 11:13
Superb, will be very interesting to see the results over the season.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 11:27
Don't remember this from before, but seems like a good idea.

Just completed and submitted and it says page can't be displayed, so not sure if I've submitted properly. I'll try again, hope that doesn't cause any issues. I'm not trying to skew the results!

COYQ_2017 (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 11:42
Is it possible to add a rating for the DOR as well?

Some of the papers include this for use of tactics, timing of subs etc

G-Quin (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 11:55
I will definitely participate in this for the home games - I recently canned my BT Sport subscription unfortunately.

Some suggestions if I may...

Can you provide a bit of a description for each performance point - this should give us a common understanding and give more meaningful analysis, for instance if I was being brief:

1: Absolute liability; had a direct negative impact on the result/team as a whole
2: Bad day at the office: did more wrong than right
3: Did the basics well; some pros and cons but overall solid performance
4: #QuinsStyle; played to their potential, positive contribution to team performance
5: Game changer; had a direct positive impact on the result/team as a whole

Perhaps also a no-opinion option for each player - I would be guessing if I gave an individual rating to all 23 players without re-watching the game (sans beer).

DOK (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 13:26
Well, it's a very good point and one I flip flopped over. I think last time we used something like awful, poor, average, good, excellent and people would argue over the exact meanings. I thought if I didn't name what a 1,2 or 3 was then people would kind of pick their own values. But looking at your suggestions G-Quin they seem eminently sensible. I'll add them to the form.

I am certainly not going to add a DOR question, I'm not in the business of pouring petrol on flames. smiling smiley I might include one of "Game Management", I guess that would cover it. Good thinking. Will do that next time (If I change it now only people voting from now on will get to use it).

On the no-opinion option I could make that a separate option or I could just remove the requirement for entering something for every player. It might make calculating averages more interesting, but would do the job. I had thought just entering "3" would solve it, but I see actually that's a kind of positive vote when you don't mean that.

If you have a query on whether your form worked or not, make a note of the time and PM/Email me. It doesn't matter too much if you enter the same form twice a few minutes apart, I'll pick that up and just delete one of them.

Glad there seems to be a positive feeling about this. When we did it before, people seemed to find the results interesting. (And they seemed pretty accurate too).

DOK (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 13:43
And finally don't forget the premiershiprugby.tv page for catching up with the away matches that you can't attend! (or for re-living the pain of the LDH!)

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 16:00
Leave it as it is, pretty straight forward. Even if people apply different criteria, it's all relative.

In any case, ranking people from 1-5 is not that complicated.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 16:01
When will you publish DOK?

DOK (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 16:07
I'd love to do it right now, I'm quite excited by this. I'd say when we have most responses in. So maybe Wednesday Thursday?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 16:32
On a technical point - filling this in on an iPhone every time you score a player it leaps, scrolling down the page and says you haven't scored them all...just me or anyone else?

DOK (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 17:43
Ah yes. Seems to be some techie issues over a Google form embedded in an iframe accessed from an iPhone. I just used the code snippet Google provided which uses an iframe. Having Googled the problem a bit, I tried a solution someone suggested, can you see if it's any better now? Thanks.

Conversely if anyone else has problems with the form can you let me know? It's all glued together with other people's stuff (Google and SportNetwork) but there maybe some tweaking I can do.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 22:14
Throw the iPhone in the bin.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 22:28
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Throw the iPhone in the bin.

Sadly I'm one the few Quins fans that isn't a member of the super rich elite

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 22:44
Sell it and buy 2 android phones then.

G-Quin (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 07:42
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Leave it as it is, pretty straight forward. Even if people apply different criteria, it's all relative.
In any case, ranking people from 1-5 is not that complicated.

Very true Rodney very true. I'm probably overthinking it with my procurement hat on... at least we don't have to moderate to consensus!

DOK - if this feeds into a google doc, you could do some pretty cool analysis and visualisation very easily by making a data connection to something like Qlik Sense (it's free).

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 08:29
Survey is a great idea. Thank you, and well done.

DOK (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 09:33
Quote:
G-Quin
DOK - if this feeds into a google doc, you could do some pretty cool analysis and visualisation very easily by making a data connection to something like Qlik Sense (it's free).

Ah....Well I was going to produce the first analysis, just so people could get some idea of how it works and then see if I could get a volunteer (maybe someone who can fly what you suggest, maybe an Excel wizard) to take over...

Any volunteers (this is the part where tumbleweed usually rolls past in the silence...) smiling smiley

DOK (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 10:31
Quote:
T-Bone
Don't remember this from before, but seems like a good idea.
Just completed and submitted and it says page can't be displayed, so not sure if I've submitted properly. I'll try again, hope that doesn't cause any issues. I'm not trying to skew the results!

The sportnetwork site is a bit flaky at the moment. Suggest anyone who doesn't get the confirmation their survey has been received retries it.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 10:55
Quote:
DOK
Quote:
G-Quin

Ah....Well I was going to produce the first analysis, just so people could get some idea of how it works and then see if I could get a volunteer (maybe someone who can fly what you suggest, maybe an Excel wizard) to take over...

Any volunteers (this is the part where tumbleweed usually rolls past in the silence...) smiling smiley

Send it to me when you have the data and I'll have a look...

DOK (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 11:20
We have an impressive 47 responses! 40 yesterday and 7 today.

So I think I'll leave it for the rest of today and maybe try and get the analysis out for tomorrow?

I am so happy with you all for responding here! I've always thought it an interesting and fun exercise, but obviously the more people we get the better.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 14:12
Good work! Thanks.

Illegitimi non carborundum

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 14:38
Will obviously be much more interesting with a few games played, but here's some early analysis:

Marchant is our MOTM by miles (ave 3.83 and the only player with a mode score above 3 with 31 4s and 4 5s), with Walker and Smith after. Robshaw was our best forward. Brown is our least valuabale player (2.04, with the most 1s - 9), followed by Roberts and Ward.

The average points awarded per respondent were 2.81 - the most was 3.47 and the least 1.93.

We weren't too harsh - 43% of marks were 3s. 4% 1s and 2% 5s.

The least variation was for Will Collier, who got 76% 3s. The most divided opinion was for Marcus Smith, who managed 3 5s and a 1 (?)

Everyone appears to have taken it seriously, ie no 1s or 5s across the board, so I haven't omitted anything.

Sorry for spacing. Not sure how to do tables. I'll do an external link to analysis when we've got some more data.

Player Average Mode
[Joe Marchant] 3.83 4
[Charlie Walker] 3.39 3
[Marcus Smith] 3.35 3
[Chris Robshaw] 3.33 3
[Danny Care] 3.17 3
[Will Collier] 2.93 3
[Ben Glynn] 2.85 3
[Marland Yarde] 2.70 3
[Joe Marler] 2.54 2
[Jack Clifford] 2.52 3
[James Horwill (c)] 2.48 2
[Rob Buchanan] 2.48 2
[Dave Ward] 2.43 2
[Jamie Roberts] 2.17 2
[Mike Brown] 2.04 2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2017 14:42 by RodneyRegis.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 14:51
Brownie is getting some stick then!

Illegitimi non carborundum

T-Bone (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 15:00
Interesting stuff, thanks. Seems odd that Marler and Horwill don't get the same treatment as Brown

DOK (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 15:11
Well, Brown played well all game (initial knock on due to a bad bounce apart). But he got marched back 10 yards for something he said to the ref and he got a yellow card at an important time for us just as we were getting back in the game.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 15:24
The card, bombed try and backchat did for Mike.

I'd certainly have marked him above Roberts though.

17 people marked Roberts ahead of Brown, 11 marked Brown ahead, so opinion was divided.

Forwards averaged 2.7, backs 2.95.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2017 15:30 by RodneyRegis.

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net