rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Yarde rumours
Navyquin (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 09:17
Firstly please do not have a pop at me for me posting this, only writing what I have seen on Facebook and twitter. Rugby Inside Line have posted a rumour that Bath and two other clubs are looking at signing Yarde and report that talks can begin in January, what is everyone's thoughts on the possibility of this?

Re: Yarde rumours
Roaming Quin (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 09:22
Would like him to stay.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 09:45
I want him to stay but wouldn't blame him for wanting to move to a club that can actually put him into space.

Rocker (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 09:50
Really not bothered, his defence is still an issue at far as I'm concerned. I don't think he plays for the team at much as he could either

T-Bone (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 09:57
Wouldn't be that gutted . He blows hot and cold. Sometimes works so hard and feel bad for him he doesn't get the decent ball to enable him to score. Other times he looks like he can't be bothered.

Cookie (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 09:57
As ever in these situations, I ask myself 'is he irreplaceable?'. I'd say not.

Therefore, it's simply a case of replacing him effectively.

Navyquin (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 10:14
Quote:
Cookie
As ever in these situations, I ask myself 'is he irreplaceable?'. I'd say not.
Therefore, it's simply a case of replacing him effectively.

Which brings about the question of who we would want to replace him. For post match interviews alone I would want the honey badger

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 10:23
I'd be pretty annoyed - he's a really hard worker who tends to be a flypaper for criticism that should really be aimed elsewhere. We don't have great wing stocks.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

PeterboroughQuin (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 10:45
Please be true, he can go. Dont rate him

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 10:58
Bloke works hard, puts his body on the line for the team and keeps going - current England squad member - if he leaves it's a sign that perhaps Quins are not competing.

All this 'he doesn't look interested business' is balderdash! How do you know what interested looks like?
It is the same with the snide comments about Roberts (he doesn't want to be here) How do you know?

More worryingly has to be why Visser is not playing? Bloke is a try machine and Walker is not as good going forward or in defence.

DOK (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 11:53
Sometimes his defence is AWOL, like Topsy Ojo's try. But a lot of the time when he seems to be dancing and uncommitted, he's doing exactly what he's supposed to do - covering the outside man and letting the runners on the inside take the man with the ball. I like him. He has a good work ethic, he gives it his all and sometimes that's enough and sometimes it isn't.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 11:59
I would be disappointed to see him go but, I do agree that he falls into the category of being replaceable. It would not be the end of the world

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 12:34
Quote:
Jammy Git
I'd be pretty annoyed - he's a really hard worker who tends to be a flypaper for criticism that should really be aimed elsewhere. We don't have great wing stocks.

I agree with this. I wouldn't blame him at all for leaving.

akb1 (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 12:40
I'd be disappointed to see him go, works hard always looking to be involved.

COYQ_2017 (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 13:25
The points he gives away in defence are more than his contribution in attack I'm afraid. He can certainly be replaced.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 15:04
Honestly think people don't really get how wingers are supposed to defend when we're short on numbers sad smiley

drama Quin (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 16:23
I think he's answered the ignorant comments above

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 16:48
A much better player than I think our general play allows him to be.

In a good team he'd score loads of tries.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 17:05
Quote:
Jammy Git
Honestly think people don't really get how wingers are supposed to defend when we're short on numbers sad smiley

I'd like to see who people think are better defensive wingers in the premiership.

09 September, 2017 17:11
Quote:
Adi Nako
Quote:
Jammy Git

I'd like to see who people think are better defensive wingers in the premiership.

Agreed

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 17:21
Solomona

09 September, 2017 17:44
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Solomona

Better defensively?

Maybe if you include illegal tackles.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 17:44
(Sm157)

Hellequin (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 17:54
I suppose with Yarde it depends on what you define him against. When we signed him he was seen as a future England international first choice winger. He has never really advanced on from his potential. He is a decent premiership winger but not likely to be a world beater these days.

WoTQuin (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 18:04
I think he had another good game today, is looking very fit and focused on trying to get back into the England squad. I would be very sorry to lose him.

Salon Generali (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 18:25
Had an excellent game today. Always involved in the action. Would hate to see him go.

Rocker (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 18:26
Yes hands up he was much, much better today. That's one of the things I find frustrating with him is that he can blow hot and cold.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 18:29
Quote:
Rocker
Yes hands up he was much, much better today. That's one of the things I find frustrating with him is that he can blow hot and cold.

Pretty much applies to the whole squad!!!

Rocker (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 18:32
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Quote:
Rocker

Pretty much applies to the whole squad!!!
Yes only too true (tearing hair out smiley required)

akb1 (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 18:32
Very good game from Yarde. No not good Excellent.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 18:57
Needs to stay from my perspective, but as said above, he may have better options elsewhere. Just hope we can put him in the right space (on the wing, not in a cupboard).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2017 10:12 by Bolly-Quin.

drama Quin (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 19:10
I think it's rather distasteful to discuss players as if they were commodities.

Toast (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 19:50
IMHO generally tries his heart out goes looking for the ball as we have an aversion to going wide quite often especially to the right, easier to pass off the right for most people I guess...... but anyway I think he'd be missed.

D-Quins (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 19:56
An Agent trying to boost his worth by any chance?

Personally I think he has been a good player for the club and we should keep him if we can

TW Quin (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 20:53
Quote:
Toast
IMHO generally tries his heart out goes looking for the ball as we have an aversion to going wide quite often especially to the right, easier to pass off the right for most people I guess...... but anyway I think he'd be missed.

Agreed he is a trier puts his body on the line maybe frustrated at times but an asset to us!

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 21:42
Personally, I am pretty sure he will re-sign.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 02:22
Quote:
drama Quin
I think it's rather distasteful to discuss players as if they were commodities.

You're 20 years too late I'm afraid - and there's no "as if" about it - that's specifically what they are.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 07:17
I get the impression the bath fans are not entirely up for this!!!

[www.rugbynetwork.net]

Monte (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 11:29
Fissler in TRP this morning state 'Yarde is unable to agree a contract' with Quins. French clubs sniffing around and Bath and Saints interested. Well he certainly played well yesterday. When he is good he is great, but not always - hot and cold.

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 11:37
Quote:
Toast

It's a tough one. On the whole, I don't think it's unfair to say Yarde has underperformed for Quins. 8 tries In his first season was a good start but that's been followed by two seasons where he's scored 3 tries. Obviously tries aren't everything, but that's below most starting Premiership wingers.

However, while he has his flaws in defence, I don't think his overall effort level is under question. He works hard and is actively looking to get more involved. Personally, I think he's been our best player so far this season so it would be a shame to lose him when 2 tries in 2 games suggests he might be hitting form.

That said, I believe he's on a decent wedge and I can imagine the club would be tempted to offload him given that we have Aspland-Robinson, Ibitoye and possibly Jonas (post injury) coming through from the academy.

Also, if you look at it purely statistically, I'm sure there are plenty of much cheaper Premiership standard wingers who average more than 4.66 tries per season.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 11:57
If he did go, can we get Woddburn from Exeter please

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 13:37
I would put Yarde in the same category as Roberts, which is ironic because Yarde spent most of yesterday doing Roberts job up the middle.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 17:23
Quote:
HonkyTonk

Why would he leave the champions?

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 17:39
Quote:
Jammy Git
Quote:
HonkyTonk

He wont, but why cant I wish.

This board is too serious sometimes!!

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 18:27
Thought he was very busy yesterday & probably our best player, but did get turned over quite a few times when doing the ball carrying duties. Hes someone we should be keeping if we have ambition as a club. If he goes elsewhere then for me its a barometer of the clubs ambitions.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 19:00
Quote:
QuinAlan
Thought he was very busy yesterday & probably our best player, but did get turned over quite a few times when doing the ball carrying duties. Hes someone we should be keeping if we have ambition as a club. If he goes elsewhere then for me its a barometer of the clubs ambitions.

Why would one player leaving be a barometer of the club's ambitions, rather than the list of arguably bigger names who have committed to Quins?

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 20:14
If a current England player who clearly wants to develop his game & get better & better, feels that he isnt suitably inspired here, then that's hardly a ringing endorsement of our system is it..??

Cookie (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 20:24
Quote:
QuinAlan

ESPN stats say he turned the ball over once. Thought he was excellent all day and proved why we should keep him if possible.

akb1 (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 20:29
So thge signatures of Robshaw, Marler, Marchant & Collier who have all recently re-signed mean nothing?

poorfour (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 20:43
An interesting thing that Kingston said at last year's Q&A was that as Head Coach he thought he had a pretty good idea of where the players were contractually, but some of the things he learned on becoming DoR were real surprises and made a big difference to how he planned to develop the squad.

I suspect with context and hindsight that what he was hinting at is that some players are better value than we might assume, and worth hanging onto even if they aren't playing that often.

The point being that if even the Head Coach doesn't have the full picture, it's almost impossible for us to have a good sense of where players are contractually.

Whether we can keep Marland (or anyone) is likely to depend on whether the increase that he is looking for represents good value for Quins or not, and we just don't know that because we don't know where he's starting from. He's probably not as good value as Ugo, say, who turned down much higher offers to stay at Quins, but he might be easier to keep than Strettle ended up being.

Personally, I hope we can keep him. Last season the attack wasn't working well, but the early signs are that this season we're making much better use of him and the results have been promising.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 20:41
Marland isn't a one club man like them. Some players are some move more frequently. I would like him to stay but he probably wants to win some medals. Many of the squad did a few years ago so may not be as hungry for a move as those who have nothing as yet.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 20:41
Already said we should be looking to keep him. Title of the thread said rumour, probably an insignificant one, hope so. Yes we do re-sign the majority of those coming through our system & when they are of the quality of Robshaw etc, then thats very good news.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 21:10
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Quote:
Jammy Git
Quote:
HonkyTonk

He wont, but why cant I wish.

This board is too serious sometimes!!

There was no indication it was anything other than a serious post!

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 21:55
Fair enough, was meant more as a "fantasy rugby" selection. FWIW I would not expect him to leave them for us.

Being more realistic, I've always liked Thompstone at Tigers. Seems to have his injury issues, likewise James Short.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 10:01
Quote:
akb1
So thge signatures of Robshaw, Marler, Marchant & Collier who have all recently re-signed mean nothing?

Clearly not, when there's a chance to have a dig at the club!

T-Bone (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 10:06
Very good game from him on Saturday, and thought he was one of our better players against Irish. Not sure how that proves those who believe he blows hot and cold wrong

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 13:23
Quote:
poorfour
An interesting thing that Kingston said at last year's Q&A was that as Head Coach he thought he had a pretty good idea of where the players were contractually, but some of the things he learned on becoming DoR were real surprises and made a big difference to how he planned to develop the squad.
I suspect with context and hindsight that what he was hinting at is that some players are better value than we might assume, and worth hanging onto even if they aren't playing that often.

The point being that if even the Head Coach doesn't have the full picture, it's almost impossible for us to have a good sense of where players are contractually.

Whether we can keep Marland (or anyone) is likely to depend on whether the increase that he is looking for represents good value for Quins or not, and we just don't know that because we don't know where he's starting from. He's probably not as good value as Ugo, say, who turned down much higher offers to stay at Quins, but he might be easier to keep than Strettle ended up being.

Personally, I hope we can keep him. Last season the attack wasn't working well, but the early signs are that this season we're making much better use of him and the results have been promising.

Absolutely; thumbs down

DOK (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 14:07
When he signed he was reported as being on 200,000 a year. Brown, Robshaw etc... have been reported as being on 230,000. So he's pretty well rewarded, if true.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 22:46
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Fair enough, was meant more as a "fantasy rugby" selection. FWIW I would not expect him to leave them for us.
Being more realistic, I've always liked Thompstone at Tigers. Seems to have his injury issues, likewise James Short.

Yeah - I'd add Lewington at Irish to that list too.

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 07:22
there is always a new kid on the block who burns verŷ brightly for a season or two due to pace and raw talent.

On the other side of the coin a proven try scorer Like Rokotaguni has his detractors and doesnt get into the England setup regularly.

Marland is not consistent but IMHO the team haven't provided the opportunities.

harryquins (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 17:14
Yarde has just posted a picture of him smiling with Marcus Smith and Roberts after he scored at the Gloucester game with just a clown emoji as the caption. Hopefully this means something positive

DOK (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 17:53
Hey - we love Marland Yarde! As evinced by the impressive score he picked up in the last player review! Highest scoring player in the whole team - he couldn't leave us now he knows how much we love him, surely!

Of course when Christian Wade has slipped by him for the umpteenth time tomorrow, we may be rethinking this! (Joke! It's never going to happen!)

T-Bone (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 11:41
After his start to the season, I am swaying towards the "must keep" point of view. Hope he can keep it up

Monte (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 12:14
Eddie watching also helps! Although after this Friday not so much if he does not make it.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 15:24
I think the criticism of Marland has been fair, he came from Irish with a big reputation and has largely failed to fulfil it. He's often gone looking for work and kept at it, but that has all too often resulted in not a lot, whilst the other wingers have made hay.

These past couple of games he's really clicked, been my player of the season so far. Plenty of wingers would have given up on Watson, he's beaten his man, looked up for it and played beautifully. no doubt he has had to change his style of play immensely here, he doesn't get the ball in acres of space with half the pitch to arc into unchallenged like he did so often for Irish, but recently his work in heavy traffic has been excellent, his hands have improved markedly and his defence has been superb. Oh, and he's scoring tries. Long may it continue.

Navyquin (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 06:23
He has so far been excellent this season, let's hope he stays.

19 September, 2017 08:07
Agreed Navyquin, his concentration seems better.

Hes a bit down the pecking order for England but could move back into the frame if he carries on like this.

He's always been very talented just at times not been consistent enough.

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 08:28
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
poorfour

Absolutely; thumbs down

Agreed, and the away game against Wasps supports this.

DOK (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 08:29
or in Eddie Jones words "a nightmare!" smiling smiley Suspect Eddie Jones has told him what needs doing before he can pull on a white shirt and he's doing it.

Saintquin (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 19:14
Thought he may have got MOTM Sunday. One try, two try saving tackles and played very well all game!

Harlequins, (was once) probably the best rugby club in the world!
(Sm115)(Sm115)(Sm115)

Monte (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 09:19
Well he injured himself with that try saving tackle so hope he is ok. JK said some players continued even though they were hurt.

MrOther (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 20:07
Quote:
Saintquin
Thought he may have got MOTM Sunday. One try, two try saving tackles and played very well all game!

Me too.

I tend to believe the rumours and will (would) be very sad to see him go.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 20:26
Well, the well founded rumours (apologies to original poster - sledging not intended) about Care and Brown turned out to be just that. It's easy to say something and then have the fans, friends, press Or whomever make a tongue from an earlobe...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net