rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Half Empty South Stand
simjam (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 09:37
Going by the ticket sales that is what it will be today (unless loads rock up on the day) and at 45.50 just to sit behind the sticks i,m not surprised.So what,s the attendance today around 13000 ?.

Re: Half Empty South Stand
Southwest Quin (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 09:46
I thought that too yesterday, I'm surprised more tickets hasn't been sold, the prices are high for the seats. But already it has a roof and by the forecast for this afternoon I'm happy about that........

Cookie (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 09:47
I don't remember them being so expensive last season? Thought they were nearer 30??

simjam (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 09:55
Before i became a STH 2 years ago i am sure i bought tickets there for 32,If that's the case 13 in 2 years is a huge hike.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 10:04
Definitely was in the 30s not long ago. 45.50 is shameful for those seats.

Southwest Quin (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 10:28
It's £30 in the two very end block's the middle 4 are £40 odd quid.

akb1 (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 11:36
No community competition yet? So we won't have hundreds of kids that usually sit in the south stand.

Arlequin (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 13:46
A big chunk of the south stand go to the community clubs and they only started back last Sunday

Hellequin (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 16:17
Didn't seem too empty today in the middle. Not that many Glaws fans but the ones near me were friendly enough. (Only had the normal numbers of fingers as well this time.)

WoTQuin (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 17:09
A number of hospitality boxes empty too. Not good, the club needs the money!

Scamble (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 19:13
The whole place is absurdly expensive now: food outlets, drinks, merchandise etc.

I hope they've got their sums right or it could be a disaster.

No queues at all at drink stands and food stalls today and that was before the rain started....

TW Quin (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 20:43
High prices presumably sanctioned by management/Ellis projections. Very few queues at food outlets and surprised at under13k attendance for 1st home game. Pushing catering outlets into Kings bar and losing space not great IMHO.

DOK (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 20:49
They are not high prices.

From the Prince Blucher
S A N D W I C H E S served 12-4, Mon-Fri
All served with fries
London Porter hot smoked salmon, cream cheese, dill 8.50
Ham hock, piccalilli & baby gem 7.00
Grilled chicken club, Mr's Owtons bacon, lettuce, tomato, egg, mayonnaise 8.50
Frontier battered fish finger, baby gem & tartare sauce 7.50
Somerset brie & grape (v) 7.00

Does a pie, chips, peas and gravy for 8 still look expensive?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2017 20:56 by DOK.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 21:04
Quote:
DOK
They are not high prices.
From the Prince Blucher
All served with fries

Does a pie, chips, peas and gravy for 8 still look expensive?

Are you letting facts getting in the way of a thread,?

DOK (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 21:07
It's a failing of mine! smiling smiley

Scamble (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 21:10
The two aren't comparable and the stoop is still more expensive. Price inflation at the stoop would make Zimbabwe blush.

DOK (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 21:19
The two are comparable. Why would you say they are not? I simply used the example of how much you would pay for food in a pub (7 for cheese and grape sarnie) and 8 at the Stoop for pie, Chips, Peas, Gravy. Don't see how the Stoop is more expensive. It's in the same ball park.

A hot dog at the Odeon will cost you 5.10 according to Mr Google.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2017 21:35 by DOK.

PeterboroughQuin (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 21:37
Thats London for you. Overpriced. Give them fancy names and then you can charge more.

Scamble (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 21:46
I'll bore you with the economics of food retail pricing at the next home game DOK.

Either way it's a rip off. As people have argued for years, you don't have to buy it and can fill your stomachs elsewhere. That, however, is not good for the club.

My point is that it is notably worse this season and we are only one home game in. No queues tells you all you need to know.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 22:21

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2017 22:31 by RodneyRegis.

jonf (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 22:36
Just watched the highlights. Looked very empty. I think we may see a new CEO soon based on the decision to raise ticket prices so much. Was that the reason for the ES interview? Give him a chance yo get another job?

Rocker (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 22:42
Yes now 4.60 a pint, food even more expensive than before. We ate on the way up, nice ham sandwiches. I suspect that it'll happen more frequently going forward. Shame, the food used to be a bit@#$%&but fairly reasonably priced, now it's maybe 10% better but 30% more expensive....

blucherquin (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 01:13
Quote:
PeterboroughQuin
Thats London for you. Overpriced. Give them fancy names and then you can charge more.

Yep it's London - so not quite sure what the complaints are based on - a simple way not to pay London prices (although beer in Surrey now more expensive) is not to go to places in London.

Otherwise I'm not sure what to suggest.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 01:19
Quote:
Scamble
I'll bore you with the economics of food retail pricing at the next home game DOK.
Either way it's a rip off. As people have argued for years, you don't have to buy it and can fill your stomachs elsewhere. That, however, is not good for the club.

My point is that it is notably worse this season and we are only one home game in. No queues tells you all you need to know.

You can fill them elsewhere yes, but if elsewhere is any pub or restaurant in twickers, Richmond, st Margaret's it'll cost you the same. Not sure how else to put it, we live there, we eat out, it always costs about 7-10 for anything anywhere.

Scamble (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 04:48
As said elsewhere, comparing casual food from a van to eating out in a pub is the wrong way to look at this. Herein lies the priblem.

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 05:23
Quote:
Rocker
Yes now 4.60 a pint, food even more expensive than before.

I thought it was 4.80? No?

I had a very nice bacon sarnie with brown rockin' 'orse made by Mrs Quin at home.

DazzaS (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 06:18
I personally liked the Mac and cheese

Dave L (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 06:30
It's often like this first game of the season as holiday season is still underway. If the trend continues then I'd be worried. 45 to sit in the South stand does however seem very steep.

It may be just me but 4.60/80 a pint is what I'd expect at a sports stadium. I paid 4.50 at Edgbaston last week and that's not even anywhere near London.

akb1 (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 06:50
Attendance yesterday was in line with other 1st home games in early Sept.
Last season our first home game at the Stoop was round 4 on 24Sept against Sarries which sold out.
2015/16 round 1 16th Oct v Wasps 134679
2014/15 round 2 12th Sept v Sarries 13102
2013/14 round 2 13th Sept v Saints 11498
2012/13 round 2 7th Sept v LWelsh 12550
2011/12 round 2 9th Sept v Saints 10990

Uncle Arthur (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 07:59
Liked the new setup behind the North Stand

Spoke to Ollie who said it wasn't very busy but agreed its early days, torrential rain, sid it try it another time.

Lovely bacon bap, albeit 6

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 08:05
I didn't try it myself, but a couple of our bunch tried the fish&chips from the van behind the South Stand & were very impressed by them. Nice large fish portion & it looked very well cooked, not soggy at all. However, the price went up shortly after they'd bought theirs from 7.50 to 8.50. It's not clear if that's a permanent shift or something they do at a set time before Kick-off.

le tiss (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 08:08
Prices are one thing, but the situation where e-cash was not working in most of the outdoor outlets pre game was ridiculous. I suspect that had a bit of an impact on queues etc. You would think they would test a new system prior to an actual match day???

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 09:10
As usual, a lot of the staff were clueless about the tills/Card readers and prices. "All beers are the same price, except Guinness and Jesters"; "How do I use the contactless"; "I have to charge you for cups each time". They should have had training before they open the doors...

Also, they had many, warm, flat beers lined up just after opening when not many people there: they needed to start pouring madly just before it gets busy at 2pm, not 1:15.

The bottle bars near Quins Head impede people flow around bar and the addition of the bar behind the Quins Head next to the fence with depot means flow is almost stopped from SE to SW corners.

As Scamble says, comparing take away food to served sit down pub food is unfair.

Best value for me is the giant saisage roll in Members bar at 4:20...

Rocker (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 09:38
Quote:
Bolly-Quin

As Scamble says, comparing take away food to served sit down pub food is unfair.

Yes. Not the same at all.
The bars are always chaos first game of the season.

DOK (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 12:25
Oh - as someone said don't ruin a good thread with facts. There was a good chance of using "High prices" (resulting in low attendance) as a stick to beat David Ellis with, now you have gone and confused it!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 12:31
Ok ok, I realise eating a rubbish bap from a van isn't like having pub food. But given that it's a sports venue I'm not horrified that the prices are about the same.

As it goes - I'd rather have a burger at the Blucher or Sussex for 10 - but I don't think the prices at the ground madly out of line for the market, even though I won't pay them (if you see what I mean).

Beer is about average - plenty of pubs around twickers now charge more than 5 for a pint of "premium" lager (yuck).

Twickenham Ales Brewery remains the best - pint and a hamburger for less than 10. Even their prices are up - 3.50 a beer now.

Cookie (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 12:35
Blucher is a poor example as it is comfortably the most expensive pub in Twickenham (along with the Three Kings).

Mate of mine was sold a last minute ticket in the North Stand as the South was 'sold out'. Not sure where they got the 12k+ number from.

DOK (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 12:50
Comfortably the most expensive pub? Another bold statement with no supporting arguments.

Here are two other pubs (presumably I just happened to have picked the three most expensive pubs West of Richmond?)

From the Cabbage Patch sandwiches
Chicken, chorizo & mozzarella melt - 7.00
Toasted Brie & cranberry - 5.50
Classic Mrs Owtons bacon, lettuce & tomato - 7.00
Fish finger with tartar sauce 7

From The Turk's Head, St Margarets
SANDWICHES

Chargrilled Leg Of Lamb 8.00 harissa, feta, watercress
Hummus 6.00 piquillo pepper, rocket (v)
Frontier Battered Fish Finger 7.50 gem lettuce, tartare sauce
Turks Head Club 8.00 grilled chicken, Mrs Owtons bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise
Somerset Brie & Cranberry 7.00 salad (v)
Mature Cheddar & Black Cab Ham 6.50 Watercress

And to to remind you what "comfortably the most expensive pub in Twickenham is charging"

From the Prince Blucher
All served with fries

"comfortably?" I think not.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 13:09
I think I said the Blucher and the Sussex - blimey are we really arguing about this? It wasn't even the point I was making.

Yes the Blucher is a mickey take now for the price of a pint, but the beer prices at the Stoop are about the same as the the other pubs.

My only consolation is the news story this week that Surrey has higher beer prices now than us.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 13:20
You can pay 50 to sit in the rain behind the sticks at Franklin Gardens
But I'm not sure what their sandwich prices are

Are people really suggesting people don't come to a ground in London because the food and drink prices are high?

DOK (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 13:56
Whatever the reason, it's all David Ellis fault! smiling smiley

simjam (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 17:41
The whole point of this thread is do 45 tickets behind the uprights keep the 2-3 game a year casual fan away. That remains to be seen. As for Northampton i have just checked their website and the seat i bought for the last game of the season, Barwell Stand Block 30 cost 35 now it is 45.And just because Northampton have whacked their prices up by a tenner does not mean that 45.50 for tickets in the South Stand at the Stoop is a good idea in my opinion.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 17:45
Well so far we know that attendance was average for the first home game of the season - and we know we've got more season ticket holders than last year, so they've paid for their seats whether they show up or not. Plus we suspect the community kids seating stuff hasn't kicked in yet.

So I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

poorfour (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 19:27
For the record, I'm arranging a community club trip to the Sarries game at the moment, and the ticket prices look to be the same as they were two seasons ago.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 19:24
Quote:
poorfour
For the record, I'm arranging a community club trip to the Sarries game at the moment, and the ticket prices look to be the same as they were two seasons ago.

Well yes, when you can't sell out at 10,000 seat ground that's what happens.

akb1 (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 19:32
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
poorfour

I may be wrong but I think poorfour is referring to a trip to the Stoop for our game v Sarries

blucherquin (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 23:52
Quote:
akb1
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
poorfour

I may be wrong but I think poorfour is referring to a trip to the Stoop for our game v Sarries

Oh....duh!!!

Grunge Quin (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 04:47
The stoop looked so empty on the tv highlights, large patches of unused seats. It's a fair reflection on what isn't an affordable day out and people voting with their feet with the overall disappointing performances of late.
45 is a lot of money for just a ticket. Per person after beers food etc it could be close to 70-80 which is a lot.

I've stopped going to West Ham for exactly this reason and I find myself watching Maidstone United every week in the Vanarama national league. 15 ticket, and a pint for 3.90 within the crowd and a 3 programme. Sorted!

never sleep (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 05:49
Quote:
Grunge Quin
The stoop looked so empty on the tv highlights, large patches of unused seats.

Was this before or after the rain?
The rain was so heavy that people in the front half of the East and south strands had to move.
In fact, the storm was so bad, I thought that the ref may have suspended playing.

Regarding watching the Stones, I went to see them a few years ago and I ended up eating out in an Argentinian restaurant in Maidstone afterwards. It made a day at the Stoop a cheap day out in comparison.

Grunge Quin (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 07:28
Quote:
never sleep
Quote:
Grunge Quin

The rain was so heavy that people in the front half of the East and south strands had to move.
In fact, the storm was so bad, I thought that the ref may have suspended playing.

Regarding watching the Stones, I went to see them a few years ago and I ended up eating out in an Argentinian restaurant in Maidstone afterwards. It made a day at the Stoop a cheap day out in comparison.

To be fair the rain probably did impact on it.

As for the Argentinian restaurant that was your own choice, if it was stadia for stadia no comparison. If I went to the Ritz after the stoop it wouldn't be a fare add on.

Don't get me started on merch prices!

poorfour (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 08:16
Quote:
Grunge Quin
The stoop looked so empty on the tv highlights, large patches of unused seats. It's a fair reflection on what isn't an affordable day out and people voting with their feet with the overall disappointing performances of late.
45 is a lot of money for just a ticket. Per person after beers food etc it could be close to 70-80 which is a lot.

I've stopped going to West Ham for exactly this reason and I find myself watching Maidstone United every week in the Vanarama national league. 15 ticket, and a pint for 3.90 within the crowd and a 3 programme. Sorted!

If you bought a south stand season ticket and remembered to return your cups for the money back, a trip to the Stoop wouldn't cost you much more than that.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 08:39
As has been previously pointed out, this attendance for the first home game isn't vastly different to previous years, and we are consistently the highest in capacity usage of the stadium (over 95%) in the Premiership. I hardly think that using this one game to claim that "people are voting with their feet) is a viable claim at this point.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 10:01
Quote:
Grunge Quin
Quote:
never sleep
Quote:
Grunge Quin

To be fair the rain probably did impact on it.

As for the Argentinian restaurant that was your own choice, if it was stadia for stadia no comparison. If I went to the Ritz after the stoop it wouldn't be a fare add on.

Don't get me started on merch prices!

Saw what you did there smiling smiley

Illegitimi non carborundum

Tooting (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 10:39
I picked up an umbrella from the shop at half time and promptly unpicked it when they said that it was 30.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 10:57
Quote:
Tooting
I picked up an umbrella from the shop at half time and promptly unpicked it when they said that it was 30.

Was it a magic umbrella?

SiBolton (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 16:34
So if it's all about price why aren't the A league games packed?
Free if a member and 5 if not?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2017 17:27 by SiBolton.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 17:50
Quote:
Adi Nako

Checked an old receipt and last season they were 43.50, not sure why I am angrier now than I was then!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 22:14
Quote:
Adi Nako
Quote:
Adi Nako

Checked an old receipt and last season they were 43.50, not sure why I am angrier now than I was then!

It's the world of Trump and Brexit - we're all angrier now.

COYQ_2017 (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 00:28
Quote:
SiBolton
So if it's all about price why aren't the A league games packed?
Free if a member and �5 if not?

Might have something to do with Monday nights and it being a 2nd XV competition. I'm sure there are other reasons Simon.

DOK (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 08:16
Well, the Irish training ground is very nice. big, efficient bar. Nice chips (2). If you get the chance to visit then it's a good evening out (despite lashing rain).

COYQ_2017 (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 08:32
Quote:
DOK
Well, the Irish training ground is very nice. big, efficient bar. Nice chips (�2). If you get the chance to visit then it's a good evening out (despite lashing rain).

It was a good location for the preseason game as well - very decent set up.

Cookie (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 09:19
All South tickets back to 30. Lesson learnt? Got a tweet about tickets from the Rugby Paper, so looks like they're fearing not selling out for either of the first 2 games and one of them is Leicester.

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 12:07
Quote:
DOK
Well, the Irish training ground is very nice. big, efficient bar. Nice chips (2). If you get the chance to visit then it's a good evening out (despite lashing rain).

Not a patch on the old ground, just up the road.

There you could sit in the stand, under cover and slip down to the bar, just a few steps away.

No comparison.

DOK (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 15:13
I remember the Irish Coffees at the Avenue. Just the thing on a cold miserable day.

Actually we sat in the stand at the new place. Of course it only hold a few 10s of people but it did a good job of keeping the rain off!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net