rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Catrikilis
Cookie (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 16:31
Paramedic mate spoke to his colleagues here and Catrikilis has a crushed windpipe. Potentially serious, but needs further investigation.

Re: Catrikilis
PeterboroughQuin (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 16:38
Great thats all we need

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 16:43
Quote:
PeterboroughQuin
Great thats all we need

Who cares about Quins with that sort of injury. Just hope he's okay.

09 September, 2017 16:45
Crikey, he's not exactly had a great start to his Quins career, has he? Yellow card about a minute into his debut, horrible injury on his home debut.

Hope he gets back on his feet as soon as medically possible.

Rocker (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 17:18
Sounds nasty, let's hope he makes a full recovery

D-Quins (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 17:19
So how did he get hurt?

Rocker (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 17:20
Looked like a high tackle

Teddington Taff (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 17:58
Alleged high tackle. Might get looked at post match.

WoTQuin (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 18:00
Can't have been a high tackle, he was the one doing the tackling along with another Quins player. May have been a leading arm, but it just looked like an accident to me. Wish him well.

Quin Kong (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 18:50
Strange, heard that he'd popped his shoulder and had to have it popped back in, hence the gas as insanely painful and the need to be immobilised.

This is second hand info tho.

QUIN KONG

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 18:59
Wait and see I guess??

The only thing I did wonder about the original mention of his wind pipe was that he was sitting up for a while. Thought that strange. Whatever the injury, lets hope he is ok

Toast (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 19:24
Shoulder to the throat apparently ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2017 19:26 by Toast.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 19:52
JK mentioned in his interview that it was an injury to the larynx causing breathing issues.

Dave L (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 20:04
All the very best to him and hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Unbelievably bad luck with injuries to the new players already this season what with Bothma's arm. Saili's injury and now this!

DOK (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 20:08
Well maybe it means they'll all now be injury free for the rest of the season!

harryquins (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 20:09
JK has said he's going to be assessed overnight in hospital but it's precautionary. So hopefully not too serious

Scamble (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 20:11
Stopped breathing for a bit according to this

Nasty

Very nasty

[www.espn.co.uk]

09 September, 2017 20:34
Laryngospasm according to my expert on the sofa next to me. Very serious and will need to be in hospital for a few days.

QuincyJones (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 09:14
UPDATE

Small fracture to a bone in his throat, still in hospital. Doesn't require surgery.

Hopefully will be a quick healer, though excited to see more of Marcus Smith in the next couple of games.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 10:08
Sounds very nasty. Hope he recovers quickly.

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 10:25
Fingers crossed for a full and speedy recovery

COYQ_2017 (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 10:34
Quote:
NicoWilson
Fingers crossed for a full and speedy recovery

+ 1

Scamble (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 11:08
Indeed. Hope all is well

Hyoid bone fractures are quite common in rugby [www.rugby.com.au] this one meant a month off so hopefully not too bad an outcome for him.

11 September, 2017 11:16
Hope he recovers soon. Sounds like a horrible injury no matter how common it is!

I think we need his more controlling influence to balance the more 'flamboyant' options we have at no.10.

Cookie (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 11:24
Hopefully he'll be back in time for Europe.

He'll need to be mentally strong when he comes back. That first tackle he makes on his return will take mucho cojones.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 22:45
Must've been pretty scary. Good luck to him.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

dr_miles (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 13:47
Anyone got an update on his progress?

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 14:27
Quote:
dr_miles
Anyone got an update on his progress?

Deep down in this article on DHL renewing their sponsorship with Quins there is a mention that he is still in hospital:

Sports Pro Media article

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2017 17:43 by NicoWilson.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 14:49
......."at Harlequins’ home ground, the Stoop."

Hell Yeah!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 14:35
Latest updates from the club coming through on Twitter:

Quote:
Quins
Injury update | Demetri Catrakilis has returned home from hospital without the need for surgery. His return time is to be determined (1/3)

15 September, 2017 14:36
Also updates of a sort on Gray, Saili & Buchanan

Quote:
Quins
Joe Gray has fractured his thumb while Francis Saili (arm) and Rob Buchanan (shoulder) continue their recovery (2/3)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/09/2017 14:38 by Fearless Fred.

15 September, 2017 14:37
Meanwhile good news on some returning to full training:

Quote:
Quins
Aaron Morris, Charlie Matthews and Alofa Alofa will all return to full training next week. (3/3)

Cookie (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 07:26
So Saili hasn't returned to training and must be multiple weeks away from being fit?? This kind of vagueness only clouds the picture further!

Dave L (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 08:35
How do we manage to get clobbered with the injury stick so regularly season after season?

Rocker (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 11:39
It does seen that wet get more than our fair share doesn't it. Is it conditioning or is it that we are just asking players to do things that their bodies can't cope with. Wasn't Sali a long term injury at Munster though?

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 12:00
Mind you, take a look at the Pests injured list..

James Gaskell
Jimmy Gopperth
Kearnan Myall
Dan Robson
Kyle Eastmond
Marcus Garratt
Sam Jones
Tommy Taylor
Thomas Young

Illegitimi non carborundum

Cookie (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 12:29
Quote:
Rocker
It does seen that wet get more than our fair share doesn't it. Is it conditioning or is it that we are just asking players to do things that their bodies can't cope with. Wasn't Sali a long term injury at Munster though?

Yep. Missed 4 months with a shoulder injury which is why I'm so keen to find out what this 'new' injury is.

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 22:34
Quote:
Scaramouche
James Gaskell
Jimmy Gopperth
Kearnan Myall
Dan Robson
Kyle Eastmond
Marcus Garratt
Sam Jones
Tommy Taylor
Thomas Young

That's a long list, but I'd argue that we have more likely starters out in ours.

Buchanan, Gray, Twomey, Matthews, Wallace, J. Chisholm, Bothma, Catrakilis, Saili, Morris and Visser would all be in contention for our first choice 23 I'd say.

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 10:10
Quote:
Scaramouche
James Gaskell
Jimmy Gopperth
Kearnan Myall
Dan Robson
Kyle Eastmond
Marcus Garratt
Sam Jones
Tommy Taylor
Thomas Young

Should we add Haskell's water injury to this list? (Sm110)

TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 10:50
Quote:
Scrumhead

That's a long list, but I'd argue that we have more likely starters out in ours.

Buchanan, Gray, Twomey, Matthews, Wallace, J. Chisholm, Bothma, Catrakilis, Saili, Morris and Visser would all be in contention for our first choice 23 I'd say.

We have 3 3rd choice hookers IMHO but even Quins couldn't contemplate starting with 2 of them! I'd guess Buchanan as the most likely.

As for the rest, the only starters would be Saili and possibly Wallace, depending on injuries when he returns.

Based on performances from Sunday, I think Sloan is a more likely starter than the rest.

West Stand, Block FD, Row S
@JT075 #COYQ

Fursty (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 11:05
Raises an interesting questions - if/when Catrakilis is fully fit who starts at 10?

19 September, 2017 11:13
Quote:
Fursty
Raises an interesting questions - if/when Catrakilis is fully fit who starts at 10?

I think Catrakilis has been brought in to give us a steady base to build on, both in his game management and his point-kicking, so I suspect he will still likely start when fit, but with Smith available to come on if we need to inject a bit more verve into the game.

Equally though, everyone at the club could have planned for the Cat, but with Smith stepping up it means plans may need to be changed.

19 September, 2017 11:19
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin
Quote:
Scrumhead

We have 3 3rd choice hookers IMHO but even Quins couldn't contemplate starting with 2 of them! I'd guess Buchanan as the most likely.

As for the rest, the only starters would be Saili and possibly Wallace, depending on injuries when he returns.

Based on performances from Sunday, I think Sloan is a more likely starter than the rest.

Bothma and Matthews would almost certainly be starters. An internationally experienced #8 and the Second Row that has been paired with Horwill whenever fit. He may not be the most mobile SR when carrying, but the line-out is far more solid when he's playing, and gives decent stability at scrumtime. Catrakilis would be starting if fit too. Yes, Smith is a great find, but Catrakilis was bought in specifically to offer a more stable platform at 10, and is an experienced top flight player having played in Super Rugby and Top14 as the starting 10. Visser is also in consideration for starting dependent on who the opposition are, I guess. Walker gives the option of speed in attack & defence, while Visser is more physical & makes for the great interception. Horses for courses.

PeterboroughQuin (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 11:31
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
PeterboroughQuin
Great thats all we need

Who cares about Quins with that sort of injury. Just hope he's okay.

I care

19 September, 2017 11:44
I can't agree with you on Matthews, just because Horwill has had him alongside for a while doesn't mean he is the right man for the job. Agree with the rest and I think it raises hopes for the future now that we have more options at 10 than we have for a long time with (in no particular order!) the Cat, Swiel, Smith and lang coming through

@JT075 #COYQ

Cookie (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 11:45
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin
Quote:
Scrumhead

Bothma and Matthews would almost certainly be starters. An internationally experienced #8 and the Second Row that has been paired with Horwill whenever fit. He may not be the most mobile SR when carrying, but the line-out is far more solid when he's playing, and gives decent stability at scrumtime. Catrakilis would be starting if fit too. Yes, Smith is a great find, but Catrakilis was bought in specifically to offer a more stable platform at 10, and is an experienced top flight player having played in Super Rugby and Top14 as the starting 10. Visser is also in consideration for starting dependent on who the opposition are, I guess. Walker gives the option of speed in attack & defence, while Visser is more physical & makes for the great interception. Horses for courses.

Bothma will need to prove himself before he gets ahead of Luamanu. He's barely played in a year (and not much more in the previous 2), has had 2 broken arms and ML was impressive for the 2nd half of last season and the start of this.

Agree the Catrkilis is expected to be 1st choice, but I suspect Smith has surprised even the most confident of his potential.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 19/09/2017 11:48 by Cookie.

Monte (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 12:13
Well Smith may be in the England squad according to several rugby correspondents so we may have no choice.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 13:27
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin
I can't agree with you on Matthews, just because Horwill has had him alongside for a while doesn't mean he is the right man for the job. Agree with the rest and I think it raises hopes for the future now that we have more options at 10 than we have for a long time with (in no particular order!) the Cat, Swiel, Smith and lang coming through

Before their injuries interfered (and Matthews, Twomey and Merrick have all had lengthy injuries over the last 2-3 seasons) they have all had good and indifferent matches - not one of them has fully cemented their place, but none (in my opinion) have done anything to suggest they be dumped. It's perhaps a case of which player may have the better weapon for the day - Matthews for the line out and speed, Merrick for running and grunt and Twomey for a bit of both.

Fursty (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 14:04
Before he got injured last season I felt that Twomey had started to move towards the top of the pecking order for 2nd rows to support Horwill. That said he’s been out for long enough now that you’d have to say Matthews would be 1st choice.

I agree with the comments above about Catrakilis being signed as a 1st choice 10 and so only 3 games into the season rightly still in that position but Smith has already shown that he’ll have competition.

Also I’d actually have Baby Chis starting at 8 with a fully fit squad.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 14:06
re: Injury talk, the injury lists for several clubs at the start of the season were kinda scary.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

19 September, 2017 14:29
Quote:
Jammy Git
re: Injury talk, the injury lists for several clubs at the start of the season were kinda scary.

I'm sure that will all get sorted once they're asked to play throughout the year.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 19:40
Quote:
Fursty
Before he got injured last season I felt that Twomey had started to move towards the top of the pecking order for 2nd rows to support Horwill. That said he’s been out for long enough now that you’d have to say Matthews would be 1st choice.
I agree with the comments above about Catrakilis being signed as a 1st choice 10 and so only 3 games into the season rightly still in that position but Smith has already shown that he’ll have competition.

Also I’d actually have Baby Chis starting at 8 with a fully fit squad.

I'm a fan of people being picked on form more than reputation. Smith currently owns the shirt, Cat should have to earn it. Similar situation I think/hope with Visser. Yes he's been a great winger for us, but on current form I'd hate to drop Yarde or Walker. Speaking of Walker, I'm really pleased he's getting a few games and grabbing his chance. It also looks like he's worked hard to improve his biggest weakness - defence.

Matthews is an interesting one; he can put in a great performance one week, then seem to disappear the next. No doubt the guy can be a very good player, it's just how do we get more consistency?

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 19:48
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin
Quote:
Scrumhead

I'm not suggesting all of those are starters. As I said in my post though, all of those I listed would be competing for a place in our first choice 23 if fit without a doubt.

My original point was that Wasps' injury list was being called out as putting them at a significant disadvantage when I don't think that's necessarily the case. Some of the Wasps players that were mentioned probably wouldn't make their first choice 23, almost all of ours would, so the impact on the squad is a lot higher,

19 September, 2017 22:00
Yes, I got that and you did call them likely starters but I thought some were a little more than marginal TBH but yes possibly part of a 23

@JT075 #COYQ

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 23:57
Quote:
Fursty

It's Smith's shirt now. Up to someone else to come and take it off him.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 23:59
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin
Quote:
Scrumhead

Wasn't twomey ahead of Matthews for some time?

20 September, 2017 08:50
Quote:
RodneyRegis

Wasn't twomey ahead of Matthews for some time?

Yes, I thought that too - he was unlucky with the injury just at the wrong time

@JT075 #COYQ

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net