rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Maybe another "knock out" ignored
Closer & Closer (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 15:23
In the Tigers game one guy appeared to be dazed / knocked out in a try saving tackle but was not taken off for an HIA.

The Tigers response from pitchside Geordie Murphy and post match Matt Connor was he had been winded......didnt appear to be that to me and the commentators at the time.

When are the Premiership / clubs going to have an independent doctor to check these type of incidents. Too many paying lip service to this still.

I dread to think the damage George North has sustained over the past few years and what the long term damage is.

Re: Maybe another "knock out" ignored
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 12:17
I get the feeling that everybody is taking head injuries very seriously now. Was there a medico involved at all? Wont surely be long before a player sues the club for a lack of duty of care...

Illegitimi non carborundum

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 12:20
Quote:
Scaramouche
I get the feeling that everybody is taking head injuries very seriously now. Was there a medico involved at all? Wont surely be long before a player sues the club for a lack of duty of care...

That's already happened...

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 12:51
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
Scaramouche

Did not know that, thanks. Interesting. So why not sue the opponent for the high tackle without due care and attention. I am not being flippant as several Mums I know are terrified that their children will end up like vegetables after a concussion but yes I know its a tough physical game.....

Maybe this saliva test is the answer but even so there is the sound of the swinging stable door....

[www.bbc.co.uk]

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 12:55
Quote:
Scaramouche
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
Scaramouche

Did not know that, thanks. Interesting. So why not sue the opponent for the high tackle without due care and attention. I am not being flippant as several Mums I know are terrified that their children will end up like vegetables after a concussion but yes I know its a tough physical game.....

Maybe this saliva test is the answer but even so there is the sound of the swinging stable door....

[www.bbc.co.uk]

I think there are legal issues with suing an opponent for an incident that is then dealt with within the laws of the game. There certainly aren't many precedents for that.

Basically players have to accept that it is a physical game and accidents might happen, but if such accidents do happen, their club and the league in general should do everything they can to mitigate any damage. If they don't do that, that's when we'll see the lawsuits coming.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 13:04
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Scaramouche
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
Scaramouche

[www.bbc.co.uk]

I think there are legal issues with suing an opponent for an incident that is then dealt with within the laws of the game. There certainly aren't many precedents for that.

Basically players have to accept that it is a physical game and accidents might happen, but if such accidents do happen, their club and the league in general should do everything they can to mitigate any damage. If they don't do that, that's when we'll see the lawsuits coming.

Are Disclaimers used to get players to accept the risk and are they legally enforceable?

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 13:22
Quote:
Scaramouche
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Scaramouche
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Quote:
Scaramouche

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Are Disclaimers used to get players to accept the risk and are they legally enforceable?

I doubt any such disclaimers would be enforceable, and in any case you can't limit your liability for negligence that leads to personal injury (or death).

Not sure if anyone has tried it though.

Angostura (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 13:37
I seem to recall from Law 101 that that by stepping onto a sporting field, you are accepting the inherent dangers which go with that (ie you're no longer offered the same duty of care you are afforded walking down the street).

That's not to say that there aren't cases where negligence has been proved:

Make your own mind up about whether the French legal system favours their own

and not rugby but

more clear cut and I believe the first sports case of its type in England

RESPECT THE REF - NO REF, NO GAME!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net