Illegitimi non carborundum

Re: Wasps to hammer Harlequins
PQ2 (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 12:42
- "We're gonna get Mullered !"..

DOK (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 12:44
But it's a self fulfilling prediction to use a date back to January 2016. We could have hammered Irish and hammered Gloucester and it wouldn't make the blindest bit of difference using that date range.

If we had all our signings fit and raring to go, I think we could certainly worry Wasps. However, with the injured off we're back to the usual suspects and I don't think that is going to go so well.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 13:30
Quote:
DOK
But it's a self fulfilling prediction to use a date back to January 2016. We could have hammered Irish and hammered Gloucester and it wouldn't make the blindest bit of difference using that date range.
If we had all our signings fit and raring to go, I think we could certainly worry Wasps. However, with the injured off we're back to the usual suspects and I don't think that is going to go so well.

Huh?

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 13:33
That Premiership piece is misleading in the first sentence. Yes, they last lost in the final, but if you choose last 6 instead of last 5 games of Premiership rugby they've played, then they've lost twice, and that other loss was against us.

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 14:42
More than half of our "predictors" to date expect us to ship at least 30 points.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 14:47
So, being Quins we will thump them of course!

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 14:54
They struggled with Worcester for most of the game last week.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 15:10
Quote:
Adi Nako
They struggled with Worcester for most of the game last week.

That surprised me. But Worcester matched the Wasps physicality, so I would hope that we do too.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 17:10
Been to the atmosphere Hoover twice and both times we got beaten
Not going this time as already going up for European gam and can only face one trip a year there to watch us get beaten

Have to say I kind of agree with pundit arena, can't really see anything but a loss
BUT if the team play well and lose, and maybe get a LBP I'll be happy with that
WIN and I'll be bloody ecstatic

Dark Pies (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 18:00
Quote:
DOK

Well to be fair if we'd "hammered Irish" we'd have a 4th away win to add to the paltry 3 from 18 in the last year and a half. So it would have made a difference, not least as it might have shown that we'd binned the "can't be bothered to put in the effort away from home" attitude.

Still, good performance or a win on Sunday will change all that. It's just that until we see that good away performance it's hard to say that our abysmal away record is irrelevant......

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 18:15
Hard to predict anything else to be honest although as Adi says above Wasps were hardly convincing against Worcester.

Sadly our away form is woeful and with no players we can bring into change that I suspect we'll see more of the same.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 18:52
Surely the result is irrelevant, as long as we play well? (Sm161)

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 18:53
It would be good to see us play with intensity and accuracy away from home and take the game to Wasps. Cleaner line out, control possession, contest the breakdown and chip away at score board. Perhaps Smith/Swiel/Lang should practise drop goals - better to take 3pts rather than try to bash through red zone unless you can create space.

We can hope...

Dave L (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 19:02
Have this one down as a write off. The Ricoh seems to bring out the worst in us defensively. Would be delighted with an LBP.

Would love to be proved wrong though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2017 19:03 by Dave L.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 20:07
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
It would be good to see us play with intensity and accuracy away from home and take the game to Wasps. Cleaner line out, control possession, contest the breakdown and chip away at score board. Perhaps Smith/Swiel/Lang should practise drop goals - better to take 3pts rather than try to bash through red zone unless you can create space.
We can hope...

I thnk that's right Bolly. Looking at how we beat Sarries last year it seems that we can deal with the big physical teams if we take it to them. When we simply try to play our own game it doesn't always work.

I'm always optimistic. If we can take some confidence from the Glos game, maybe we can take something from Wasps. But it's a hard place for us to get anything, it appears.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 21:22
We were abysmal at the Ricoh last season. Need to see a big improvement on that. Trouble is Wasps trounce most sides there so it's pretty much impossible to see where a Quins win would come from. Home advantage is so huge. We'll probably go 30 points behind & come back a little when they ease off. Usual kind of thing. Weather looks reasonably good so should be a good fast game. Hoping for a miracle. You never know!

DOK (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 00:18

15 September, 2017 08:46
Quote:
Quinky Kin

Assuming that brilliant piece of wit was directed at me, to be honest it would be lovely to see either a performance or a result from Quins in an away game.

Under JK we've won 2 away games in the league and only played well in one of those so it would be quite a turn up if we play well let alone win.

Let's hope they've suddenly come up with something.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 09:13
Quote:
QuinAlan
We were abysmal at the Ricoh last season. Need to see a big improvement on that. Trouble is Wasps trounce most sides there so it's pretty much impossible to see where a Quins win would come from. Home advantage is so huge. We'll probably go 30 points behind & come back a little when they ease off. Usual kind of thing. Weather looks reasonably good so should be a good fast game. Hoping for a miracle. You never know!

Can't disagree with any of that. Just hope we're both wrong.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 09:15
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
Quinky Kin

Assuming that brilliant piece of wit was directed at me, to be honest it would be lovely to see either a performance or a result from Quins in an away game.

It's always nice when humour is appreciated. Makes it all worthwhile.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 13:37
Oh don't...pop there goes another rib...

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 17:31
Quote:
Scaramouche
Oh don't...pop there goes another rib...

Back in the Chinese restaurant Scabby? I thought you were on a diet winking smiley

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 18:00
My mistake! It wasn't a rib at all! It was a humerus.

ElliesBoss (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 18:32
Anyways as a Pest supporter all I can say is we are still leaking tries. Do Quins push forward and risk turnover ball and leave a hole in their defence? Time will tell. Looking forward to the game regardless.

By the way there is a cycling event impacting road travel in Coventry city centre on Sunday. Ring road is going one way only. May be worth allowing some extra time to arrive. Safe travels.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 20:54
Quote:
ElliesBoss
Anyways as a Pest supporter all I can say is we are still leaking tries. Do Quins push forward and risk turnover ball and leave a hole in their defence? Time will tell. Looking forward to the game regardless.
By the way there is a cycling event impacting road travel in Coventry city centre on Sunday. Ring road is going one way only. May be worth allowing some extra time to arrive. Safe travels.

Where do you live? Not trying to be a k-nob but just interested to see how the Pests demographic may have changed since dropping the "london"....

ElliesBoss (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 09:13
High Wycombe but supported (London) Wasps before their move to HW. We still have coaches travelling up from HW, London and Maidenhead. I, along with others, travel up by train and many travel from the South East by car.

Guys seated around me come from Wales, South West, Northern England and of course many from the West/East Midlands. Pretty diverse really.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 09:26
I hope we manage to nullify Nathan Hughes. The move where he picks the ball up from the ruck in one hand, and bursts through the middle, seems very effective.

Uncle Arthur (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 09:21
I went to the Ricoh last season. Met up with a few of the QUINSSA guys. A truely, horrible stadium staffed by Football Stewards with no sense of Customer Relationship. Said afterwards that I'd never go back but alas, car fuelled, Quins shirt ironed, ticket to hand. "Wasps to Hammer Harlequins" not with us lot shouting the Quins on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/09/2017 09:22 by Uncle Arthur.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 09:42
Hope you've booked parking just seen elsewhere that it's filling up fast

Uncle Arthur (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 10:00
Hello Simon. Will park at the same place as last season. On street (no restrictions) by the Novotel Hotel/M6, Brisk walk with 2 pubs on-route for a quick shandy.. See you there!

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 10:44
So it would seem that you can just uproot a major club and move about 100 miles away and actually improve your attendances?

Crikey, I hope the money men behind Quins who have a prime piece of London real estate in their hands dont read this.....

Vespulavulgaris (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 11:25
Quote:
Scaramouche
So it would seem that you can just uproot a major club and move about 100 miles away and actually improve your attendances?
Crikey, I hope the money men behind Quins who have a prime piece of London real estate in their hands dont read this.....

I'me a long tem fan who was very much against te move when it was first announced. But I accept now I was very wrong indeed. Not only are attendances massively improved - our last home game was a measly 12k which felt kinda empty but would have filled Adams Park twice over. But in reality we weren't uprooted as we never actually had any roots at all. We'd been unwelcome tenants in different stadia for years and there was no possibility of getting our own quickly enough to save the club from extinction anywhere near London.

So the Ricoh is by no means perfect, and Coventry is a hell of a trek from Hampshire where I live, but it is ours, it is home, and we finally have some stability. Look at what a difference that has made to our fortunes.

I hope that the money men behind all the other AP teams look at some of the things Wasps have done to make the stadium into a money making business other than rugby. It is that which will keep us all afloat.

Rocker (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 11:35
Yes, whilst the stoop is undoubtedly a valuable piece of real estate, I'm pretty sure that the money made on events and particularly hospitality when there are matches over the road make the owners a good deal of money. That must help long term in the funding of the team. The only way I can see us moving is if we outgrow the potential for expansion. I can't see getting any more than around 20-30,000 seats on the existing site.

PeterboroughQuin (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 14:33
I fear Wade. He always scores against us. Im not going this year so I bet we win lol

DOK (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 16:11
Yes, Wade always plays well against us. I'm glad Wasps have found a home. When professionalism came round they were playing on council pitches and the first order of the day was scour the pitch for dog poo! As the team formed from the other part of Hampstead Football Club I've always had a soft spot for them. I actually liked Adams Park, had a real old fashioned terrace where you could mingle and banter with the fans - but it was never financially viable and they were just screwed by the owners.

So sorry I can't make the trip tomorrow. Glad the Ricoh is working out for Wasps and hope you get a damned good thrashing tomorrow! (Well, I can hope!).

Camquin (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 21:10
Ladies won - can the men do the same.

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 21:37
Not surprisingly, increased security at The Ricoh Stadium tomorrow.

[www.wasps.co.uk]

Mayor West (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 08:03
I met some new Wasps supporterS while on holiday last year. They were from just outside Coventry and were very enthusiastic about having a prem side locally. They said that there are a lot of cheap tickets and giveaways. I think they even said kids entry was free. This of course has worked to get the crowds up. They also,like Quins, do a lot of community work in schools etc. I was wrong in what I thought would happen with Welsh and Sarries as examples of not improving your attendance numbers by moving around. At the moment it all looks very successful. I was told that there was a training pitch under the playing pitch where kids could play and test their rugby skills before and after games.
I have had a premonition that we will nick this one with a late penalty.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 17:01
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
We can hope...

There you go!

Mayor West (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 17:01
Would anybody like next weeks lottery numbers?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 17:03
Well, this is simply delicious.

quin_jon (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 17:04
Euromillions, yes please.

Monte (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 17:16
Awesome

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 17:19
Hat served & well & truly eaten! A quite extraordinary result. Hardly anyone saw that coming. So we have seen the Quins which started to show promise at the end of last season. That's good news. Remind me what happened against London Irish? We'd be top without that. Incredibly well done by all. A good day for the club.

17 September, 2017 17:26
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Hard to predict anything else to be honest although as Adi says above Wasps were hardly convincing against Worcester.
Sadly our away form is woeful and with no players we can bring into change that I suspect we'll see more of the same.

Very glad I was wrong on this one.

Nothing I'd seen in the last 12 months suggested that performance was coming so let's hope it's the first of many!

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 17:26
My heart always tells me Quins will win. But I really thought we'd be lucky with the LBP today. Great performance full of grit. Big kudos to the coaches. I hope they get the credit they deserve, at least for this one game.

poorfour (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 17:42
Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I am really quite hammered right now.

Uncle Arthur (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 14:48
Well what a lovely day that was. Drove to Coventry, easy on-street parking by the Novotel, walk down to 'The Ricoh Arena', lots of fun things happening around the stadium. Wasps fans very welcoming on seeing the multi-colours. Met up with several QUINSSA guys/girls and off for a burger/chips and pint.

Lots of Quins shirt scattered around the stadium with a large group of us sat together opposite the players tunnel shouting screaming Quins on attempting to drown out the Wasps drummers shouting out "WASPS WASPS WASPS" We successfully hijacked the drum beats with "QUINS QUINS QUINS" Chris Munton and South Stand Rick, as ever with our support singing out "COME ON YOU QUINS"

After the final whistle we all congregated inside and continued with "Come all without, come all within"

Just be aware that they have a 'Fan Village' outside (Bars, burgers, live music) but annoyingly you cant get to it if you've already entered the stadium as the ticket only allows one entry in so missed that!

Regardless, lovely day out, lovely win and the Stadium, staff and facilities have improved from last season... oh and we didn't get "Hammered" :@)

Thank you Wasps for a great day!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net