Current Page: 1 of 2
Thoughts and prayers with James Haskell
arqueroo (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 18:31
Looked like a really nasty water injury . Hope Marler isn't cited

Re: Thoughts and prayers with James Haskell
Dave L (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 18:32
The story for me wasn't the handbags but the way Haskell spoke to the ref. No place for that. Way too much chat from the players today.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 18:42
Quote:
arqueroo

Should be easy to treat. Just needs a tap on the head.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 19:01
What a complete baby he was.

I assume he'll be putting a video about it on Instagram later.

wombles222 (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 19:12
Both Marler and Hasks were planks today. I love physicality and passion, but those two throwing their lipsticks at each other was just silly.

MrOther (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 19:17
What DaveL said.
Utter disgrace.

Someone had a word in the ref's ear at half time though, because he came out a different man (or finally a man) in the second half.

tigerburnie (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 20:52
Good win for you, but you gave a lot of silly penalties away.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 21:10
The more things change...

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 22:37
Quote:
Dave L
The story for me wasn't the handbags but the way Haskell spoke to the ref. No place for that. Way too much chat from the players today.

This. Exactly this. I was gobsmacked at how Brand ranged off at Sir. We the rugby-loving public always like to have a pop at football and the way the players rant on at the ref, but that idiot Haskell today make our sport look as bad. What a goon.

There's a fair bit of defence of Brand on the Pests site, calling Marls a thug and peurile, etc. Marls may have been a bit silly, but really, 1) you should expect provocation from him of all players, and if you're the pro you say you are you should ride above it. And 2) regardless of everything else, grabbing a player by the throat in a two-handed grip is a red-card offence. Brand should count himself lucky he wasn't sent off. After the associated backchat and yelling the odds, if I was Sir I would have shown him a crimson one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/09/2017 22:43 by The Dead Baron.

bg (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 00:26
Something kicked it off.. the fact that numerous Wasps players were agrrieved at Marler makes me think it was eye gouging..

Which is a cheapshot..

COYQ_2017 (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 00:39
Any evidence for this very serious allegation?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 00:37
Quote:
bg
Something kicked it off.. the fact that numerous Wasps players were agrrieved at Marler makes me think it was eye gouging..

Which is a cheapshot..

And a totally unfounded allegation - one which seems even more highly unlikely given Marler and Haskell hugged it out

Fresher and sweeter grapes available from your local supermarket.

Kent Fan (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 06:48
Unfortunately this type of incident is unavoidable with the now prevelant " scrum breaks up after an incident then they grab the shirt & put the forearm across the face / throats etc". Joe was tumbled to the ground with James arm across his throat / face - you could see scratches on Joes face.

The whole game from the start had a lot of niggle and to be honest Quins need this attitude / mindset at the start of every game to be more successful.

With Tigers on Saturday we need the same mindset as they will definitely bring their niggle to The Stoop as they always do. Joe will be a target again and Marcus will be hounded by their back row.

raedarius (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 07:48
Quote:
bg

Which is a cheapshot..

As is your post.

The Baptist (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 08:00
Quote:
bg

Which is a cheapshot..

The point that you seem to be missing is that modern day players in the Premiership are acting more and more aggrieved at every opportunity they get. This is something that needs to be stamped out of the game. There's too much chat on the pitch.

Trying to make out it was due to eye gouging is simply the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 08:14
Quote:
bg

Which is a cheapshot..

Haskell very loudly told the ref what the problem was. Please don't make things up like this, it's pretty grim.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

dancing quin (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 08:24
Quote:
bg

Which is a cheapshot..

Complete fantasy from start to finish.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 08:29
What struck me* was that Haskell seemed more aggrieved by the splashing (NOT soaking) than by apparently being choked. Watch the incident again, and his complaining was "He sprayed water in my face! Review it again! He sprayed water in my face and I reacted. And he choked me with my scrumcap. It's not allowed!" The mention of the scrumcap is almost incidental.

tigerburnie (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 08:53
Hasks said Joe got hold of his scrum cap and the chin strap really hurt him...................(no cheap shot really is it, time the old man retired)

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 08:54
Quote:
dancing quin
Quote:
bg

Which is a cheapshot..

Complete fantasy from start to finish.

Especially as Joe was the one with a cut under his eye...

ukms (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 09:21
Quote:
bg

Which is a cheapshot..

Utter bloody nonsense (from a Wasps Supporter) may I ask how much Rugby you actually watch ?

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 09:47
Yeah as people have said, the chin strap was why Haskell reacted so badly initially, but the water spray is what made him properly lose it (which is funny)

Boonie (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 10:22
I don't know. Joe gave Hask an owie, then tried to cool off the chin-strap burn with some water, and then it all kicks off. Just can't help some people.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 10:59
A minor thing made more major by Haskell's need to get into the game that backfired spectacularly.

However, there are times when I wish Marler did just get on with the rugby and stop being distracted in these ways. We know he's a bit of a joker - a real harlequin even - but it can cost us on occasion.

DazzaS (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 11:29
The two kissed and made up in the end, Quins got the win, everything is alright in the world again.

kholmes1 (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 11:43
Quote:
bg

Which is a cheapshot..

Marler put his fingers under Haskells scrum cap and gave it a tug at the breakdown. Nothing too bad, certainly not choking him. This caused Hasks to grapple Marler to the ground and put his elbow into Marler's face. This broke up and when Hasks started to walk away Marler squirted water from a bottle brought on by Evs. It hit him on the chest. That's when Hasks grabbed Marler by the throat.

PeterboroughQuin (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 11:56
Marler should have been yellow carded along with Hask for spraying water in his face. He was lucky thank goodness and the tactics worked.

DOK (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 12:00
To be fair, it was hardly a deluge. More a flick.

18 September, 2017 12:12
Quote:
DOK
To be fair, it was hardly a deluge. More a flick.

Does it have to be a deluge to be a yellow?

What about a sprinkling? Or a spatter?

I think the RFU need to get a grip on this very quickly.

Monte (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 12:20
Just a squirty splatter never a deluge!

18 September, 2017 12:22
I suggest not entering the phrase "squirty splatter" into an internet search engine!

number_seven (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 12:28
It was all quite funny really. I'd imagine that Haskell will watch back the ref cam footage and realise he was a bit of a pillock.

On a similar (but related) point, did anyone notice what appeared to be a dive by Danny Care before the Clifford break?

18 September, 2017 12:36
Quote:
number_seven
It was all quite funny really. I'd imagine that Haskell will watch back the ref cam footage and realise he was a bit of a pillock.
On a similar (but related) point, did anyone notice what appeared to be a dive by Danny Care before the Clifford break?

Looked a tad theatrical certainly. If it was a dive I'm not quite sure in aid of what though as it was a perfectly reasonable bit of rucking.

Quin Kong (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 12:39
Aqua phobia is a nasty thing mais non?

QUIN KONG

poorfour (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 12:47
Quote:
PeterboroughQuin
Marler should have been yellow carded along with Hask for spraying water in his face. He was lucky thank goodness and the tactics worked.

Joe was just taking a leaf out of the Steve Walsh playbook. In Steve's case, it got him a load more England games (albeit as ref), so you can see why Joe might consider it.

18 September, 2017 12:50
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Quote:
number_seven

Looked a tad theatrical certainly. If it was a dive I'm not quite sure in aid of what though as it was a perfectly reasonable bit of rucking.

I've just re-watched it, and it appears what happened was this:
Haskell came in to try to clear Luamanu out of the ruck.
Luamanu was forced backwards, & rolls over the ball as Danny was about to pick it up.
Danny obviously has to lean back out of the way, but as Haskell & Luamanu keep moving, Danny's left foot/ankle is hit hard enough to overbalance him.
He might be a little theatric with the fall, but it's mainly a case of being off balance & being pushed.

Sketchley (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 13:04
Quote:
PeterboroughQuin

Problem with that is you are saying spraying a bit of water is the same as grabbing someone with both hands round the throat. Marler may well of deserved yellow but it would in turn mean Haskell being shown red. The ref and tmo had said the hands on throat crossed the line implying that everything up to that point just warranted a talking to. I'd be very aggrieved if Marler got a yellow for squirting water, yes it shouldn't happen, yes he needs to be told not to do it but it's never a yellow.

DOK (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 13:08

DOK (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 13:09

DuncanS (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 15:56
Even as a Wasp, it's pretty clear that, whilst Marler was a cheeky little git, a player of Hask's experience should not have risen to the bait. He deserved a yellow just for stupidity.

PeterboroughQuin (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 16:08
Apparently Marler had his wee in that bottle as he is doing that urine therapy. The guys in the scrum were complaining to the ref he had wee breath and it was off putting. Does it warrent a yellow if you spray your wee in someones face?

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 16:16
I must admit I have been quite amused looking around the boards, reading the thoughts of others.

"Marler should have been a Red as throwing water is the same as spitting" was one of my faves. Think it has been a load of fuss over not much. The initial tumble is the sort of thing that happens week in week out, no doubt about it. Haskells issue was the way he went after Marler when he squirted the water at him (Chest, not face). Also the way he spoke to the ref. If he had not done that I doubt the ref would have done anything other than a stern word. No doubt Marlers reputation is going ahead of him but that does not mean some of the comments are true.

Anyway, according to the Tigers board he will be quiet this week as he knows he is out of his depth against their props!!!

Also read how the ref must have been bad as Young never complains about them but he did this time. Well that does not really prove anything, just that Young wanted a moan. Wasps were rattled yesterday. I think they underestimated Quins and were expecting an easy afternoon, esp after going ahead.

Sketchley (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 17:08
Haskell didn't get yellow for the way he spoke to the ref. He didn't speak to ref until after the ref had spoke with tmo and said he was getting yellow. He got yellow for grabbing another player by the throat with both hands and in retaliation significantly after play had stopped.

tigerburnie (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 17:05
Quote:
HonkyTonk
Anyway, according to the Tigers board he will be quiet this week as he knows he is out of his depth against their props!!!
In propping terms only, Joe's in a class of his own as a wum.

Snowman (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 17:54
Ask Marcos Ayerza if he thinks JM is out of his depth against Tiger's props.

I seem to remember an uppercut in response to a double head butt which announced that Quins were no longer the pushovers that Tigers had found them to be previously.

Not that I condone on pitch violence but it was a memorable uppercut.

RingwoodQuin (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 19:42
As hydrophobia and irrational aggression are both cardinal signs of Rabies, maybe we should be reporting JH to the relevant authorities?

InbetweenWasp (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 20:44
Quote:
Dave L

It was hardly disrespectful to the Ref from Hasks. Explaining why he'd reacted and acknowledged that he shouldn't have to the water spraying, but felt Marler should never have had hold of his Scrum Cap as it's illegal (I don't know if it is, or isn't) and that's what he felt had kicked it all off

ukms (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 21:23
Marler has received a citing commissioners warning .... probably about right.

akb1 (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 21:41
They'll probably be forced to share a room at the next England camp.

poorfour (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 22:01
Quote:
RingwoodQuin
As hydrophobia and irrational aggression are both cardinal signs of Rabies, maybe we should be reporting JH to the relevant authorities?

If it's got to the hydrophobic stage, it's incurable. Best to put him down humanely.

bg (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 22:31
I'm surprised Quinns didn't try the bloodgate trick again... when they tried to cheat

18 September, 2017 22:39
Quote:
InbetweenWasp
Quote:
Dave L

It was hardly disrespectful to the Ref from Hasks. Explaining why he'd reacted and acknowledged that he shouldn't have to the water spraying, but felt Marler should never have had hold of his Scrum Cap as it's illegal (I don't know if it is, or isn't) and that's what he felt had kicked it all off

It was pathetic whinging from someone who knew he'd been wound up when he should have been a grown up.

He'll be embarrassed by it and any defence of it is equally embarrassing unless you think grabbing someone round the throat is acceptable behaviour.

raedarius (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 22:47
Quote:
bg
I'm surprised Quinns didn't try the bloodgate trick again... when they tried to cheat

Sorry squire, not familiar with that one. Sure you've got the right team? Only, if that had really happened, some tedious sour grapes merchant would come on our board each time we win and go on about it...

dancing quin (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 22:51
It's another troll/fake account, the 2nd one today. Can't imagine who would want to try (and fail) to take the shine off a fantastic win. At the end of the day Quins won smiling smiley

RleQuin (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 23:38
Watergate II
RleQ

blucherquin (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 00:01
Quote:
bg

Hahahahahahahahaah
Hahahaahahahahahahhahaha
Hahahaahahahahahahahahahahhha
Hahahahaahahahahahahahahaah

No, stop, really

Hahahhhhahahhhhhhahahahahaahahahahahahaha

Navyquin (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 06:22
Quote:
bg

What a bitter little person you are, I pitty that you become nothing more to offer then coming onto other teams pages and trolling them.

Dave L (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 07:34
Quote:
InbetweenWasp
Quote:
Dave L

Think we must have different definitions as to what's disrespectful. Telling the ref to "review it again" isn't something I'd have down as respectful to be honest. Don't want the sport turning into football but it rapidly seems to be.

19 September, 2017 07:43
Marler now gets water squirty warning. Probably only a level 2 water squirty offence.

Sanction reduced due to lack of accuracy and because it was James Haskell.

[www.theguardian.com]

DOK (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 08:35
Quote:
bg

At least get your facts right, we did cheat! smiling smiley

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 08:41
This sets a dangerous precedent. What next? Warnings for a shove? For throwing a ball at another player in anger?

Meanwhile, Yarde gets knee-dropped in the LI game and the ref doesn't even review it.

Makes you wonder if any player other than Joe would have been warned.

raedarius (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 09:11
Quote:
Quins brixton branch
Marler now gets water squirty warning. Probably only a level 2 water squirty offence.
Sanction reduced due to lack of accuracy and because it was James Haskell.

[www.theguardian.com]

Sanction further reduced as additional water fell inexplicably from the sky later in the game, contaminating the evidence.

19 September, 2017 09:37
Quote:
Quinky Kin
This sets a dangerous precedent. What next? Warnings for a shove? For throwing a ball at another player in anger?
Meanwhile, Yarde gets knee-dropped in the LI game and the ref doesn't even review it.

Makes you wonder if any player other than Joe would have been warned.

Does seem like they've reacted to this because it got a lot of TV coverage rather than anything else.

The amount of winding up that goes on in a rugby match must be limitless, so not quite sure how much time the authorities can spend on trying to review that. They'd need a full time 'sledging reviewer'.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 09:45
That retrospective yellow was only given because it was Marler.

brandnewtorugby (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 09:48
Quote:
arqueroo

Enjoyed that! Well played, first prem loss at home for a while.

TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 10:52
Quote:
Adi Nako

Yes, unfortunately he has form and his reputation precedes him

West Stand, Block FD, Row S
@JT075 #COYQ

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 12:17
Quote:
Dave L
Quote:
InbetweenWasp
Quote:
Dave L

Think we must have different definitions as to what's disrespectful. Telling the ref to "review it again" isn't something I'd have down as respectful to be honest. Don't want the sport turning into football but it rapidly seems to be.

Exaclty - he interrupted the ref to make a sarcastic comment and then loudly demanded the ref review it again. Way overboard.

No problem with Joe getting a retrospective yellow just for being Joe - if you have a long list of misdemeanours then that's what happens.

Cookie (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 12:22
Does he really have a long list? Gypsy boy and Heguy incidents aside, is it not a case of him being a 'character' and getting unfairly judged?

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 13:12
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin
Quote:
Adi Nako

Yes, unfortunately he has form and his reputation precedes him

The issue with that is that other players will get away completely free with much worse. That's unfair. The level of punishable behaviour should be the same for everyone.

19 September, 2017 13:16
Maybe so but unfortunately, it's not the way these things tend to pan out! JM has a reputation and it affects judgement against him

@JT075 #COYQ

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 13:17
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin
Maybe so but unfortunately, it's not the way these things tend to pan out! JM has a reputation and it affects judgement against him

Agreed. It makes a mockery of sanctions when someone is cited for flicking water at a player though!

19 September, 2017 13:28
Agree whole heartedly! Simply sour grapes from Dai Young. Haskell isn't the sharpest tool in the box but even he should be able to rise above Joe's goading, they are (occasional) team mates after all!!

@JT075 #COYQ

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 14:07
Couple of thoughts on recent events. I believe Haskell should have been red carded for the physical assault and Marler should have been sin-binned for provocation. Therefore I now expect the Citing Commissioner to upgrade Haskells yellow to a red to be consistent.

I get the feeling that when the pests opened the scoring there was a palpable sense of "here we go again" from both sides of the fan base. How often does the team that scores first not go on to win?

Illegitimi non carborundum

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 15:05
Quote:
Cookie
Does he really have a long list? Gypsy boy and Heguy incidents aside, is it not a case of him being a 'character' and getting unfairly judged?

You'll like this:- [stats.espnscrum.com]

JM also carded in NZ this year for Lions.

Premier league discipline:- [stats.espnscrum.com]

InbetweenWasp (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 15:29
Quote:
Sketchley
Quote:
PeterboroughQuin

Problem with that is you are saying spraying a bit of water is the same as grabbing someone with both hands round the throat. Marler may well of deserved yellow but it would in turn mean Haskell being shown red. The ref and tmo had said the hands on throat crossed the line implying that everything up to that point just warranted a talking to. I'd be very aggrieved if Marler got a yellow for squirting water, yes it shouldn't happen, yes he needs to be told not to do it but it's never a yellow.

Marler potentially deserving a Yellow (depending on which side of the fence you're on) doesn't mean Haskell deserved a Red, it simply reflects that inadvertently choking someone by pulling at the back of their scrum-cap has the same effect as someone grabbing another person by the throat and therefore the punishment should have been the same.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net