rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: JK... Still out
Dibden (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 17:16
I don't buy this Jk stand "they are not my players"He was Head Coach under COS and had far more direct contact with the players surely.In any event you work with what you've got.He must have into input about who COS bought/sold -if he didn't that says the set up was wrong

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 17:23
Quote:
Dibden
I don't buy this Jk stand "they are not my players"He was Head Coach under COS and had far more direct contact with the players surely.In any event you work with what you've got.He must have into input about who COS bought/sold -if he didn't that says the set up was wrong

You obviously know how it works, tell us more.

QuinAlan (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 17:44
Something was clearly very wrong but I get the feeling that it's slowly getting put right. More feisty committed performances like sunday will quicken the pace.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 18:30
Quote:
Dibden

Well we can only go on what he says, and he went out of his way to say that as Head Coach his job was to enact the patterns decided by the DoR and to make sure all the other coaches did their jobs. He said as head coach he had no involvement in player purchase and contracts.

He said it enough that by the second half of last season I thought "fair enough". As with everything I guess you can choose to believe it or not. But I really can't think why he'd create this as a lie as opposed to any other lie, it just doesn't feel like something you'd make up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/09/2017 18:32 by blucherquin.

MrOther (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 18:38
My god, this is all very well-informed, reasoned and enlightening. If someone doesn't start throwing insults around again soon I shall lose interest entirely.

:-)

And of course I don't care how the man looks, if he inspires the riches at his disposal to a top-four finish (anything less is surely failure). If he can't do that then I start wondering how his evident disregard for his own conditioning might affect his ability to inspire elite professional athletes to fulfil their own potential.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 18:54
It has been said that the team didn't move on after the Prem winning season. It didn't develop, or evolve. That's a fair point, or if it did then others evolved more. When JK got the top job he (by all accounts) wanted lots of change - in playing style, systems and personnel. Not many on here could argue that the playing side needed to change drastically, regardless of the personnel involved. So, if last season was all about implementing change, then this season should see the results. If we continue as we did against Wasps, then it suggests that JK's changes are finally taking effect.

If we lapse again, apart from the occasional game, then the changes (or some of them) aren't working.

But it's important to remember that even the best teams are beaten on occasion. When that happens you just know that some poster(s) will jump on the whole "JK Out" bandwagon again.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 19:21
Quote:
Dibden
I don't buy this Jk stand "they are not my players"

Buy something else - howabout - "the problem with COS's tenure was that he wanted to control everything"?

When - 15? Years ago he had the job, without any warning/preparation, he was thrust into saving a side that had just lost its DOR, he may not have had a good innings.

Now he has another chance, in different circumstances, and might yet succeed. He's had a season and three games and there are signs of improvement.

Quick fixes and impatience often fail. Give him a chance, at least until the second half of the season.

poorfour (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 07:14
JK has said that he didn't know the players' contractual situations until he became DOR, and that it changed his approach - having planned a clear out, he decided that it was better to strengthen the squad in specific positions rather than make wholesale change.

With hindsight, COS had some horrible luck with injuries after 2012, particularly at centre, but then relied a bit too much on talent coming through the academy rather than bringing in senior players to bolster the ones we lost. He also didn't evolve tactically, and other teams overtook us.

A friend whose son was in the academy also told me that there was a bit of a lost generation in the academy, between the players who emerged in 2012 and the Sinckler/Clifford generation.

Anyway, Kingston promised changes. So far the results are promising. I don't think we are entitled to "expect" or "demand" a top 4 finish, though. There are 5 teams who have been consistently better than us over the last couple of years, and they haven't become bad teams overnight; there are two or three others who are also trying to break into the top 4. And the early games suggest that this will be one of the most competitive seasons we've seen.

Most teams won't suffer quite as many international losses as us, unless Eddie really shakes things up. Though we don't have as bad a Lions hangover as others. But I think it's going to be a close season and it'll be decided on bonus points.

Good job our attack is starting to fire.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 07:56
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Dibden

Well we can only go on what he says, and he went out of his way to say that as Head Coach his job was to enact the patterns decided by the DoR and to make sure all the other coaches did their jobs. He said as head coach he had no involvement in player purchase and contracts.

He said it enough that by the second half of last season I thought "fair enough". As with everything I guess you can choose to believe it or not. But I really can't think why he'd create this as a lie as opposed to any other lie, it just doesn't feel like something you'd make up.

Whatever the reason, it's surely not great for morale.

Boonie (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 11:23
I'm not sure we even need a top four finish to confirm improvement. After all, the other teams in the league are also pushing for that, and in some games it comes down to the bounce of the ball (or the ball not making it off the pitch when the game is won). Improvement for me is a consistent performance - getting the basics right, flair when it is needed, dour defence when it is needed, and a feisty, full on performance at all times.

Sometimes you play your heart out and still lose. I can accept that. What is galling is when we lose because the players just don't seem to be up for it, or can't execute the basics well, or can't adjust as needed to the ebb and flow of the game.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 11:57
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
I'd certainly agree that if we hear JK saying "team in transition" at the end of the year, we're/he's in trouble - even if it comes out by Xmas...
Got to do the same on Saturday now - the real test - continuity - shame I can't make game - will have to watch while in Bath, so grateful its on telly..!

Geisha Girls on tap no doubt....

Illegitimi non carborundum

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 12:15
You only live twice, Deadly...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net