rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Smith and Lowe
poorfour (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 12:15
So, here's a thought.

One of the things Marcus Smith has to work on is his defence. One of the best defensive backs we've had in the last few years is George Lowe, who's now looking for something to do following his retirement.

Should the club hire Lowe to mentor Smith on defence?

Re: Smith and Lowe
Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 12:21
To be fair, Smith has yet to finish developing physically. Part of his ability to defend will depend on him "filling out" a bit more to add some weight in his tackling.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 12:22
I think there should be a place for Lowe in some capacity at the club, but I'd hope that someone in our current coaching set-up is already looking at the defence from our backs.

Wasn't just Smith at fault the few times Wasps walked through us, although we seemed to do much better in the second half.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 12:25
Thought Smith did well enough in defence. Often acted as a speed bump rather than a dominant tackle, but that was just the same with Nev.

Hope we can find a role for Lowe if he wants one, but not sure that's what it would be.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 12:42
Sounds like an artificial sweetener.

poorfour (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 12:52
I thought of Lowe because I can remember the impact he made on our defence as an 18 year old rookie.

Easter's the defence coach, obviously, but I can imagine that Smith would learn more directly from someone like Lowe who's closer in physical stature and made his breakthrough at the same age.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 13:11
Lowe was very brave in defence - him and Gonzo-1 Tiesi always in the thick of it, including injuries too, something that seemed to plague them both...

Depends on how much we have to spend on coaching...

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 13:24
Joe Marchant's tackling technique is great - he's a good example to follow.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

T-Bone (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 13:42
Quote:
Jammy Git

Although he was at least partly at fault for Wade's try as he didn't trust Roberts inside him to make the tackle, turned in for the double tackle and his man got away down the wing.

Agree generally though

Cookie (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 13:47
Not sure about Marchant. He's been the worst culprit in the backs for missed tackles this season.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 14:29
I don't think that's fair at all. He missed a couple against Irish, but...

https://i.imgur.com/ThE8kSj.png
https://i.imgur.com/EIgVjIC.png
https://i.imgur.com/0umLKsc.png

He's making a lot of tackles and in two matches was excellent. His technique is very good which helps as he's not huge.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 15:08
Grrr, ou're making me want to start tracking AP stats again!
Player Tackles Total Success
Yarde 12 13 92.31
Walker 11 13 84.62
March 16 20 80.00
Smith 14 18 77.78
Brown 7 9 77.78
Roberts 17 22 77.27

Marchant takes on most tackles, and has decent success rate. Yarde and Wlaker our most successful tacklers(!)

Nothing shameful. Luckily didn't include Danny...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/09/2017 15:09 by RodneyRegis.

TitusQuin (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 16:51
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
Jammy Git

Although he was at least partly at fault for Wade's try as he didn't trust Roberts inside him to make the tackle, turned in for the double tackle and his man got away down the wing.

Agree generally though

Roberts was outside Smith not inside him who probably spent over a decade protecting his 10s so don't blame Smith for the try unless you are asking him to smash Hughes into the middle of next week which is unlikely.

He seems to not shy away from contact but will have to wait until he fills to be more effective. Remember Marchant in an article last season saying how much Easter had helped him with his defence. Job for the defence coach pretty obviously.

fandg2 (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 18:48
It's difficult to judge Smith defensively as he's being 'protected' by the attack system Quins play where he is on the park, early doors . Noticed it against Irish and saw the same against Wasps. Smith was rarely 1st receiver in the first 20- 25 minutes of either game, subsequently he's not really positioned in the 'right' place for normal team defensive duties. Seems to want to put his body in the way though, which bodes well for the future

blucherquin (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 00:06
With the greatest of respect to Lowe, the club can't give every former player a job no matter how good a servant they were - and we're pretty much stacked with people for Smith to learn from - Nev specifically.

I'd rather not see us take on any more coaches that have no coaching experience

Cookie (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 07:59
Quote:
blucherquin
With the greatest of respect to Lowe, the club can't give every former player a job no matter how good a servant they were - and we're pretty much stacked with people for Smith to learn from - Nev specifically.

+1

And I'm not gunning for Marchant. Just wouldn't put him in Lowe's class.

poorfour (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 09:23
Quote:
blucherquin

Yes and no.

First thing, the club hasn't been giving coaching jobs to people with no coaching experience. Our senior players with an interest in coaching have been getting experience with the local ND1 teams. Easter was head coach of Wimbledon for a year and led them through a successful turnaround as I recall. Evans helped him and then took over last year when Easter was full time coaching with Quins.

There's a finite number of coaches with top level club coaching experience, and even if you can acquire them they don't necessarily know the Quins players and systems. There's a choice between promoting a relatively inexperienced coach from within or paying top dollar for a coach who might or might not work out.

Historically, coaches used to be promoted from within. It's only relatively recently that there's been a market in coaches - but if you look at the coaches at the top AP teams, DoRs like McCall and Baxter were home grown. Even Deano got his first coaching role at his old club.

Secondly, I wasn't suggesting hiring Lowe full time: just that he would potentially be a great mentor for Smith on one specific skill area where he might benefit from the experience of someone who has been in a similar position and done it well. Evans was a great attacking fly half and word from the players is that he's made a big difference in attack coaching already, but he was sound defensively rather than being known for it. A different perspective might help.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 10:14
Quote:
TitusQuin
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
Jammy Git

Agree generally though

Roberts was outside Smith not inside him who probably spent over a decade protecting his 10s so don't blame Smith for the try unless you are asking him to smash Hughes into the middle of next week which is unlikely.

He seems to not shy away from contact but will have to wait until he fills to be more effective. Remember Marchant in an article last season saying how much Easter had helped him with his defence. Job for the defence coach pretty obviously.

Just to clarify, I was saying Marchant was partly at fault for the try, not Smith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net