rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Game plan against Wasps
euroquin (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 07:54
I have to say one of the more pleasing aspects of the win over Wasps was the game plan. We clearly decided to attack the Wasps wingers, who whilst good going forward, are not the biggest or best defenders. Time and again we ran hard at them. Both our tries came from getting the better of things out wide. On top of that, making the little guys defend reduces their energy to attack (I recall Nev saying just that last year).

Of course, this requires that we had enough possession, which the pack achieved.

I have been as critical as many of the coaching recently, but here was the sign of some good ideas being properly executed. Let's hope it isn't a flash in the pan.

Re: Game plan against Wasps
talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 08:19
Good points. Both against Gloucester and Wasps there's been signs of a bit more of a game plan from the team which is something we've been missing pretty much since COS's last two seasons.

Let's hope this is a recurring theme rather than seemingly just relying on the players to sort it out for themselves (or the players not listening) which seemed to be the case for most of last season and the London Irish game.

Monte (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 08:20
But have we always had a good game plan and failed to Execute it? You just don't know

20 September, 2017 08:57
Quote:
Monte
But have we always had a good game plan and failed to Execute it? You just don't know

True.

Equates to the same thing though.

It was either not being coached or not being listened to, which wasn't good either way you look at it.

I'm hoping that's starting to turn around now.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 08:59
Yeah Euroquin, it's not like you have eyes or anything is it?

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 09:37
Some think our game plan was to bully and intimidate Wasps, and the poor old naive lambs were shocked and chagrined, mortified and stupefied, and didn't have an answer.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 09:40
Quote:
RodneyRegis

Eh?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 11:17
Monte:

"But have we always had a good game plan and failed to Execute it? You just don't know"

Of course we know. You can decipher the gameplan by watching the game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/09/2017 11:18 by RodneyRegis.

Monte (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 12:21
In the past we have seen Plan A fail and if you know what the Plan B that they failed to execute was you are either a genius or to be polite 'untruthful'

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 13:15
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
RodneyRegis

Eh?

+1

20 September, 2017 13:27
Quote:
Monte
In the past we have seen Plan A fail and if you know what the Plan B that they failed to execute was you are either a genius or to be polite 'untruthful'

I think you're in danger of tying yourself in knots here, but suffice to say it doesn't matter if we:

a) don't have a game plan

or

b) have a game plan that nobody puts into place

It still results in the same mess as we saw many times last season. I think the point of this thread was that for once, particularly away from home, we seemed to come with a particular plan of action and actually carried it out.

Whichever way you look at it we hadn't done that away from home for a long long time before Sunday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/09/2017 13:28 by talkshowhost86.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 13:40
I am pretty sure you and Monte agree, TS...

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 14:10
Quote:
Monte

For example, our gameplan on Sunday was not to kick the ball back to them when closing the game out.

Last season, we always kicked the ball back.

I would suggest that they didn't go "right, let's not kick the ball back" and then do it, go "oops, that's not the gameplan" and then do it again 2 minutes later.

Gameplan is hardly a secret, you can tell what it is by watching the game. Sure, we might have a gameplan to tire the opposition out by smashing them back in the tackle, but completely fail because they are too big, but that's not what EQ was talking about. "Time and again we ran hard at them." - Monte is suggesting that perhaps it was our gameplan to do that before but we just forgot to do it. Gameplan isn't some sort of enigma.

Maybe the Tigers teams in the 90s went out to pass the ball around like basketball players. You just don't know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/09/2017 14:11 by RodneyRegis.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 14:32
Pretty sure, but could be wrong, that Monte (second post, not first) means that fans might have seen Plan A (and its oft failure) and that fans that believed they could see a Plan B were either a genius (seeing something so convoluted that it was impossible to see) or fans were lying that they could see Plan B...

Fans not players: the question revolves on our (i.e. fans) ability to "decipher the gameplan by watching the game".

And she may have a point...

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 13:48
I think she was saying that we might have had a great plan B but supporters couldn't tell as it never came off, and to claim we knew what plan B was is a lie.

I think (Sm55)

Seems a bit odd as nobody said that, but it's all a bit cryptic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net