rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Danny's box kicking
MrOther (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 19:47
Am I dreaming it or has Danny ("the Dove") Care been practising his kicking on the beach this summer?

Seems to me that he's getting much more hang time (height, in other words) and is also dropping it much more accurately where it needs to be dropped than he was last season.

I'd love to see him pushing Youngs for the starting slot across the road this autumn. I watched the last Scotland game again the other day and his "Who me?" Norman Wisdom delight when manufacturing a dive for that last try was a delight to watch.

Re: Danny's box kicking
Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 00:16
He still puts up some duffers - one against Wasps and one against Glos that resulted in a try, although the Glos one wasn't a box kick.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 00:40
I have to say that Youngs also launches a few loose ones too, each game...

QuincyJones (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 09:26
Yes, Youngs also throws every fifth pass at the floor too, so, swings & roundabouts!

Rocker (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 09:47
Yes DC's box kicking does seem to be improved, seeing as it was the weakest area of his game that's a damn good thing. I think in all other areas of the game he's superior to Youngs, so maybe if Eddie has been watching he'll get the starting shirt back.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 10:31
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
He still puts up some duffers - one against Wasps and one against Glos that resulted in a try, although the Glos one wasn't a box kick.

Sure, but he's scrutinised more than most. Youngs puts up plenty of kicks for England which Danny would be eviscerated for. They can't all be on the money.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 10:39
And Youngs is often missing at the base of the scrum.

When playing for England, DC is quick with the release, but for Quins, quite often, he delays it and with runners often standing still, resulting in trench stalemate and no game line advance. This aspect really needs some work so that players anticipate his readiness to pass and run on a line to suit the situation, into space and with support.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 10:47
It's definitely better, and our chase seemed a bit more coordinated against Wasps as well. This is pleasing as it was one of the worst aspects of our game last season.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 11:40
Yep, agree with all of that. His kicking is better. Youngs' kicking was always better but was not as reliable as some would have you believe, and his passing is dreadful, in terms of speed and accuracy. Plus he has to take two steps before he passes (not confusing this with running sideways looking for a gap to snipe through, which they both do).

Very few 9s now can pass the ball from the floor to the 10 in one movement. Most have to pick it up and then pass or take a step and pass, in two or three movements. I'm sure it only adds a second or two, but that makes a difference. Old scrum halves, and Gomars was great at this, would just get the ball away from the breakdown so quickly. If there's not much on it's not such an issue, same if it's just popping the ball to forwards to smash 2m forward, but when there's a fast moving attack it is crucial.

Simpson was pretty poor on Saturday, which I've come to expect

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 12:02
It's important to point out that we are playing a different style of rugby and that he puts the ball where he is told to....so he may be more accurate, he may have been made to look like a muppet in previous seasons by the coaching. it could be a mixture of both - what i would say is that i think having Smith at 10 has changed the way he tackles the game and has made him play with a touch more control... which has suited us in the last few games.

Ben youngs? Not as good as DC that's for sure....never has been...

T-Bone (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 13:48
Quote:
Nev's Left Boot
It's important to point out that we are playing a different style of rugby and that he puts the ball where he is told to....so he may be more accurate, he may have been made to look like a muppet in previous seasons by the coaching. it could be a mixture of both - what i would say is that i think having Smith at 10 has changed the way he tackles the game and has made him play with a touch more control... which has suited us in the last few games.
Ben youngs? Not as good as DC that's for sure....never has been...

Very good point about his play possibly being slightly more structured / conservative with Smith outside while he gains some experience

Mayor West (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 21:00
A coach (lower level) at Quins said that Bolly. Danny's hesitation was being discussed by a small group of us at kids rugby training one morning last year. The Quins staff coach said that perhaps it's not Danny but who he is supposed to be passing to that's not where they should be. Danny may have been delaying until whoever got into the correct position.
Similarly it's not always the hookers throwing that's out but mostly is.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 08:13
Quote:
Mayor West
A coach (lower level) at Quins said that Bolly. Danny's hesitation was being discussed by a small group of us at kids rugby training one morning last year. The Quins staff coach said that perhaps it's not Danny but who he is supposed to be passing to that's not where they should be. Danny may have been delaying until whoever got into the correct position.
Similarly it's not always the hookers throwing that's out but mostly is.

When Danny comes on fazz usually moves to 10.

When Ford stays at 10 he's much quicker.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net