rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

O/T - Sean O'Brien says Lions could have won 3-0
Boonie (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 11:24
From the Beeb:

The British and Irish Lions could have whitewashed world champions New Zealand 3-0 had they been better coached, says flanker Sean O'Brien.

The Irishman started all three Tests of the 1-1 drawn series.

And he believes poor coaching prevented the Lions securing a historic victory.

"If we had a little more structure during the weeks, and more of an attack gameplan, driven way earlier in the tour, I think we could have won 3-0," O'Brien said.

"With the players we had, we should have won the series."

As well as criticising the preparation before the first and third Test matches by Warren Gatland and his staff, O'Brien was especially critical of attack coach Rob Howley.

The 30-year-old said the midfield pairing of Johnny Sexton and Owen Farrell were "running our attack shape" by the end of the tour.

"The coaches have a lot to answer for in terms of our attack rather than Johnny and Faz trying to drive it," said O'Brien.

"If I was being critical of any coach it would be the fact that I think Rob struggled with the group in terms of his attributes of trying to get stuff across whereas Johnny and Owen drove everything the second week, for instance, in our attack and had a better plan in place.

"So I don't know if it was people not buying into what he was about or whatever else.

"That's the hard thing about a Lions tour as well; getting everyone to listen to a coach that was probably set in his ways."

As well as assisting Gatland on the Lions tour, Howley works under the New Zealander in the Wales set-up.

Scotland head coach Gregor Townsend and Glasgow assistant Jason O'Halloran both turned down invitations to be part of Gatland's Lions staff, and O'Brien - who also toured in 2013 - says the best coaches must be recruited in four years' time.

"Coaching-wise they need to make sure they have the best coaches in the best positions - attack, defence, forwards, whatever it may be on a Lions tour," he said.

Speaking immediately after the drawn third Test in July, Gatland said: "Given the schedule, given how tough the tour was, to come to New Zealand and get a draw you've got to be proud of that."

The BBC has approached the Welsh Rugby Union for comment.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

Re: O/T - Sean O'Brien says Lions could have won 3-0
talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 11:47
I mean I don't rate Rob Howley either but this is a real kick in the balls from SOB (Sm6)

T-Bone (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 12:54
Well when you look at Wales' dreadful attack, his observations aren't that hard to believe.

A few people on this board got shouted down for suggesting that we could have done better with different coaches, so this is quite interesting.

Marler also described the tour as a two month stag do. Wasn't a criticism, but wonder if it suggests he knew he was never in with a chance of playing in a test, which should never be the case

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 13:28
Whatever the case, imagine the howls of anguish from the irish if an Englishman had come out with this. Marler's comments were met with plenty of outrage.

SOB forgot to mention that they Should be picked robshaw.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 13:40
I'm guessing SOB is not interested in running a Lions Tour any time soon then?

Illegitimi non carborundum

21 September, 2017 13:44
SAID IT THEN AND COULDN"T AGREE MORE!!!!!

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 15:27
SOB must have had his eyes shut during that first Test. NZ would've beaten anyone then.

I was disappointed with the Lions performances for most of the tour, and NZ went off the boil big time, so the series (and wider tour) was a resounding "meh" from me but anyone claiming 3-0 is going to have to go some to justify that.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

1908 (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 15:58
Heard Billy V'pola being interviewed this morning....at 24 he has an autobiography out...and he was quite diplomatic when asked about SOB's view. He did say, however, that if Eddie Jones was in charge then the Lions would have won 3-0.

No love lost between the Welsh and Irish when it comes to Lions selection. Their 6 nations game will be tasty.

RleQuin (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 23:32
Quote:
Jammy Git
SOB must have had his eyes shut during that first Test. NZ would've beaten anyone then

Absolute rubbish! I think you must have had your eyes shut J Git!!
Had the Lions taken their chances, they would have won.
I can see where O'Brien is coming from.
RleQ

bra'tac of chulak (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 17:58
Sean O'Brien is the first one to break ranks and say this publicly but criticism of the Lions coaching team was coming back to family & friends in the British Isles from members of the Lions' squad within 2-3 weeks of them arriving in NZ

This wasn't a Lions tour ... it was a Wales training camp ahead of the 2019 World Cup !

22 September, 2017 18:26
With the right team we could have won that first test EASILY.....

Stoquin (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 18:38
As one who was lucky enough to have been there I feel that after the 1st test we had missed the best chance we had to win a match. We had more try scoring opportunities in that match - maybe 5 chances but only scored two whereas NZ had 2 chances and scored them both.
So if we had won that one and then won the second I see no reason why 2 nil up we couldn't have completed the whitewash

thomh (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 20:25
Quote:
RleQuin
Quote:
Jammy Git
SOB must have had his eyes shut during that first Test. NZ would've beaten anyone then

RleQ

The all blacks destroyed us in the first test and would have done in the third had they taken their chances. The red card in the second test was justified of course but it does take the gloss off the win slightly.

A draw was a remarkable result but we definitely relied on New Zealand shooting themselves in the foot. Wouldnt fancy replaying the series.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 21:39
EJ must go...to Coach the next Lions Tour!

RleQuin (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 01:21
Quote:
thomh
Quote:
RleQuin
Quote:
Jammy Git

RleQ

The all blacks destroyed us in the first test and would have done in the third had they taken their chances. The red card in the second test was justified of course but it does take the gloss off the win slightly.

A draw was a remarkable result but we definitely relied on New Zealand shooting themselves in the foot. Wouldnt fancy replaying the series.

Well, you weren't watching the same game as me then!!
RleQ

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 01:42
Good lord, you autistics can remember the games - I was hammered, but I do remember winning over a ton on the draw for the third test, although I was relatively sober at that point.

Cookie, shut it.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 07:13
Your best post QP.

Not the cookie part.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 07:25
Wish it was his Last Post.

smiling smiley

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 09:15
Quote:
RleQuin
Quote:
Jammy Git

RleQ

We got absolutely smoked in the first Test - there was a huge gulf in class. The fact that the Lions created half chances and didn't take them is precisely the sort of thing that separates NZ from the rest. They're ruthless in a way that no other team can match.

The Lions team in terms of pure talent was better than any other international side could field bar NZ themselves, so yeah, NZ would've beaten anyone. Ireland would've copped 50.

QP: Please don't do the whole "autistics" thing.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 12:42
Apols

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net