rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Marcus Smith is the 18-year-old ready to gatecrash Eddie Jones's England squad..
akb1 (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 20:59

Re: Marcus Smith is the 18-year-old ready to gatecrash Eddie Jones's England squad..
Adi Nako (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 21:39
That picture of him next to George Ford shows just how much he'll need to bulk up in the next few years.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him in the squad but would be incredibly surprised to see him on the bench vs Japan.

Re: Marcus Smith is the 18-year-old ready to gatecrash Eddie Jones's England squad..
Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 21:58
Yeah, EJ needs to rediscover Aussie pies...

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 23:03
He ran 10k!

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 02:03
I was interested to see in a linked article that Corbs turned us down last November.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 09:14
He made the squad but no sign of sinckler?

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 09:34
Kruis & Joseph are also left out of the squad. I think EJ is looking at his other options in some positions so he has an idea of who can be drafted in if needed. This still isn't the official squad for the AIs, remember. That's announced near the end of October.

Monte (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 09:44
Sinks is omitted Harry Williams Chiefs is preferred. Expect a reaction on Sat just hope he keeps his head v Tigers.

akb1 (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 09:51
England head coach Eddie Jones has selected his latest squad to take part in a training camp at the end of the week.

33 players will convene in Oxford on Sunday 24 September for the three-day camp.

The camp will provide a chance for the squad to continue their preparations for the upcoming Old Mutual Wealth Series that will see England play Argentina (11 November), Australia (18 November) and Samoa (25 November).

“This camp in Oxford is a really positive opportunity for the group to come back together and sharpen our focus and preparation ahead of our first match against Argentina,” said Jones.

“This is our most important game this year and we want the players to come away from camp having trained well with a clear plan of how we want to play and win against the Pumas."

The squad includes uncapped 18-year-old Marcus Smith and hooker Tom Dunn while prop Kyle Sinckler, flanker James Haskell and centre Jonathan Joseph are not included.

England training squad for Oxford camp:

Forwards

Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Tom Curry (Sale Sharks), Tom Dunn (Bath Rugby), Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby), Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers), Jamie George (Saracens), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), Nathan Hughes (Wasps), Nick Isiekwe (Saracens), Maro Itoje (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby), Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Mako Vunipola (Saracens).

Backs

Mike Brown (Harlequins), Danny Care (Harlequins), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Leicester Tigers), Piers Francis (Northampton Saints), Alex Lozowski (Saracens), Jonny May (Leicester Tigers), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Marcus Smith (Harlequins), Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Marland Yarde (Harlequins), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers).

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 10:02
Perhaps Sink is in the naughty corner for his post tour night out, along with Tuilagi (yup - he's also injured) and Solomona. Apart from that, he hasn't recaptured his form fully yet. He needs a reminder that he should take nothing for granted.

EJ doing us a favour as you say, providing he keeps his head together. Have a good session with AJ rather than JM.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 10:08
Quote:
Monte
Sinks is omitted Harry Williams Chiefs is preferred. Expect a reaction on Sat just hope he keeps his head v Tigers.

No doubt Eddie is in contact with Sink. I doubt very much Williams is "preferred". Eddie is clearly looking at a few 3rd chice players - Dunn, Isiekwe, curry, Francis, Lozowski, Yarde.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Kyle start a couple of AIs - Cole is on the wane.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 10:17
My main concern was that he was injured, but seeing Kruis, Haskell and Joseph also miss out suggests he's looking at other options.

Obviously biased, but reckon Collier should be ahead of Williams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/09/2017 10:44 by T-Bone.

poorfour (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 10:26
Interesting squad mix - 21 of the established matchday squad, 8 who were introduced in the Argentina tour, 2 fringe players (Slade and Marland) and 2 complete newbies (Smith and Dunn).

I suspect that he is checking to see whether the tourists and Slade can hold their own enough against the established players to be given a shot against Argentina. I'd not be surprised to see something like:

Marler Hartley Cole
Ewels Isiekwe
Robshaw Billy Underhill
Youngs Ford
May Francis Daly Nowell
Brown

George Mako Williams Lawes Curry Care Lozowski Slade

With the majority of Lions being given a rest but perhaps rotated back in for Australia. Or perhaps not: if the Argentina game goes well, I think Eddie will be keen to make the point that we can beat Australia with a weaker team than we can put out.

I can see why he might want to send a message to Sinck (though probably more one about on-pitch discipline than off-pitch), but I just don't see what he sees in Harry Williams. I have only seen a couple of his games, but I don't think he's delivered a single decent scrum in the ones I have seen. What am I missing?

MrOther (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 11:02
Quote:
poorfour
I'd not be surprised to see something like:

Marler Hartley Cole
Ewels Isiekwe
Robshaw Billy Underhill
Youngs Ford
May Francis Daly Nowell
Brown

Neither Farrell nor Itoje even on the bench? Because they've been given some downtime by Sarries at the start of the season?

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 11:14
I think Wilson is really unlucky to miss out

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 11:55
Kruis was not picked because he is injured and they want him to rehab with sarries rather than coming to the camp. I think we have some options at 7 with Curry, Underhill and robbo can play there also so no need for Haskell. Joseph and Sinckler, i think it might be a way to give them a kick up the back side

poorfour (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 12:01
Quote:
MrOther
Quote:
poorfour
I'd not be surprised to see something like:

Marler Hartley Cole
Ewels Isiekwe
Robshaw Billy Underhill
Youngs Ford
May Francis Daly Nowell
Brown

Neither Farrell nor Itoje even on the bench? Because they've been given some downtime by Sarries at the start of the season?

No, because Eddie knows he doesn't need either of them to beat Argentina and wants to establish his squad depth. I think that's why he's called this the "most important game of the season" and why I also think that if a less experienced squad goes well against Argentina he may roll them forward to Australia - though he could bring them back onto the bench for that.

I genuinely think Eddie is confident enough in the players he has that his primary thought is now giving enough players enough experience that he can take a squad to Japan where he won't have to rely on more than one or two untried players.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 12:12
Why does Kyle need a kick up the bot?

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 12:34
Classic Daily Mail comments on that article.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 13:01
Quote:
T-Bone
Why does Kyle need a kick up the bot?

Involved in post-tour spat and hasn't got his season off to a great start.

Cant really blame it on too much rugby (on tour) as he didn't start too may games, although not denying lengthy of season and intensity of training may have had an impact.

poorfour (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 13:23
The post-tour spat was nothing - from the reports he wasn't causing trouble, but picked the wrong spot for a drink and some locals started on him. I suspect it's more that he hasn't started the season brilliantly and may be suffering from a bit of a Lions hangover.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 13:29
Either way, with that and on the bench tomorrow, he's going to destroy people when he gets on.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 13:58
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Perhaps Sink is in the naughty corner for his post tour night out, along with Tuilagi (yup - he's also injured) and Solomona. Apart from that, he hasn't recaptured his form fully yet. He needs a reminder that he should take nothing for granted.
EJ doing us a favour as you say, providing he keeps his head together. Have a good session with AJ rather than JM.

Agreed. He needs to get a bit more fired up I think.

Quote:
Cole is on the wane

I think that's been the case for quite some time. Not sure how he's kept the shirt this long.

Quote:
he's going to destroy people when he gets on

I think that you're right. I hope you are.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 15:09
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Bolly-Quin

Agreed. He needs to get a bit more fired up I think.

Quote:
Cole is on the wane

I think that's been the case for quite some time. Not sure how he's kept the shirt this long.

Quote:
he's going to destroy people when he gets on

I think that you're right. I hope you are.

I think cole has kept the starting spot because he's arguably one of the last generation of props who focus on their job. That is to say, his main attribute is his scrummaging and set piece work. Cole will never do much in the loose. Willaims does, but he can't scrummage, same with several others. Collier is our better scrumagger, but can't do what Kyle does.

As World Rugby continually lead Union to 7s / league, you'll need more people like Kyle and Williams, and the old school props like Collier will disappear.

MrOther (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 17:35
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
Cole is on the wane

I think cole has kept the starting spot because he's arguably one of the last generation of props who focus on their job. That is to say, his main attribute is his scrummaging and set piece work. Cole will never do much in the loose.

Not with the ball in hand but he wins a tidy number of turnovers for a tighthead.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 18:43
Quote:
MrOther
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
Cole is on the wane

I think cole has kept the starting spot because he's arguably one of the last generation of props who focus on their job. That is to say, his main attribute is his scrummaging and set piece work. Cole will never do much in the loose.

Not with the ball in hand but he wins a tidy number of turnovers for a tighthead.

Hmm, 3 years ago maybe.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 18:48
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
MrOther
Quote:
Bolly-Quin
Quote:
Cole is on the wane

Hmm, 3 years ago maybe.

Agreed, he's a spent force.

Cookie (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 09:32
Clifford called up as cover for Vunipola.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net