Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Teams are up
DazzaS (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 11:51
Quins Team

HARLEQUINS MAKE THREE CHANGES FOR VISIT OF LEICESTER TIGERS
Friday, 22nd September 2017 @ 12:00

HARLEQUINS HAS ANNOUNCED THEIR SQUAD TO FACE LEICESTER TIGERS IN ROUND 4 OF THE AVIVA PREMIERSHIP AT THE TWICKENHAM STOOP (SATURDAY 23RD SEPTEMBER, KICK-OFF 15:00).

All three of the changes to the starting 15 come in the front row as Mark Lambert comes in for Joe Marler - who picked up a rib injury away to Wasps in Round 3 - while Rob Buchanan has returned from a shoulder injury and starts at hooker.

Will Collier replaces Kyle Sinckler who is named among the replacements, joining Alofa Alofa and Charlie Matthews who have both recovered from injury.

Speaking ahead of the match, Director of Rugby, John Kingston said: "We are delighted to have secured back to back victories over Gloucester and Wasps. However, we know Leicester present a massive challenge notwithstanding the excellent home record we have had in recent times."

Harlequins squad to face Leicester Tigers (Harlequins appearances)

15. Mike Brown (283)
14. Marland Yarde (77)
13. Joe Marchant (40)
12. Jamie Roberts (32)
11. Charlie Walker (70)
10. Marcus Smith (3)
9. Danny Care (227)

1. Mark Lambert (212)
2. Rob Buchanan (118)
3. Will Collier (111)
4. George Merrick (62)
5. James Horwill (Captain, 43)
6. Chris Robshaw (242)
7. Jack Clifford (69)
8. Mat Luamanu (41)

16. Dave Ward (120)
17. Lewis Boyce (-)
18. Kyle Sinckler (103)
19. Charlie Matthews (140)
20. Ben Glynn (3)
21. Dave Lewis (-)
22. Tim Swiel (42)
23. Alofa Alofa (30)

Re: Teams are up
DazzaS (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 11:54
Leicester Team to play Quins

Team news: Tigers at Harlequins
22 September 2017 12:00 By Gary Sherrard

Dom Barrow and Dominic Ryan return to the Leicester Tigers forward pack for Saturday’s Aviva Premiership Round 4 trip to face Harlequins at The Twickenham Stoop.

Barrow missed the win over Gloucester in Round 3 but replaces Joe Maksymiw as partner for Harry Wells in the second row. Ryan replaces Luke Hamilton in the back row.

Head coach Matt O’Connor retains the same backline that started in Round 3.

O’Connor said: “We were pretty disappointed about the performance in the final 60 minutes against Gloucester last week. We started with the intensity we’ve tried to get all season but after that we let ourselves down.

“Dom Barrow is fit to return this week but Graham Kitchener unfortunately is going to have surgery on a cracked eye-socket which will keep him out for a couple of weeks.

“Quins have dangerous players and a lot of experienced players who have been at the club a long time and are big-game players. They’re very hard to beat at The Stoop and we’ll have to be at the very top end of our game to get the points there.”

Tom Brady is back in full training after an ankle injury, and George McGuigan and Adam Thompstone are also working their work back from injury. Manu Tuilagi is sidelined after damaging the meniscus in his left knee during the Round 1 match against Bath.

Leicester Tiger (v Harlequins, away, Saturday 3.00pm)

15 Telusa Veainu

14 Nick Malouf

13 Matt Smith

12 Matt Toomua

11 Jonny May

10 George Ford

9 Ben Youngs

1 Ellis Genge

2 Tom Youngs (c)

3 Dan Cole

4 Harry Wells

5 Dom Barrow

6 Mike Williams

7 Dominic Ryan

8 Sione Kalamafoni

Replacements

16 Harry Thacker

17 Greg Bateman

18 Logovi’i Mulipola

19 Luke Hamilton

20 Valentino Mapapalangi

21 Sam Harrison

22 Joe Ford

23 Mathew Tait

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 11:59
Glad to see Alofa2 and Matthews back in the 23. Plus we should get Swiel on for some gametime too. It's going to be a tough game, but hopefully the home advantage should see us through.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
Not ideal having Marler and Sinckler both drop out, but Lambert and Collier are more than experienced enough to fill that gap. Probably better off having Buchanan than Ward at hooker as well, although only if Buchanan gets his throwing right.

Looks like we've got a bit more off the bench this week which is good, although that Leicester back line does look frightening. I can't see us getting out of this one without conceding a few tries, so we'll need to be equally dangerous in attack ourselves.

Should be a close one.

akb1 (IP Logged)
good to see players returning from injury

T-Bone (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 12:03
Good to see Matthews and Alofa back.

Surprised Brown is playing, but knowing what he's like, perhaps not a surprise at all actually.

Not sure about Buchanan coming straight back in - his throwing's been no better than Ward's (although ward got away with a few dodgy throws last week).

Not a surprise to see Sloan miss out to Alofa.

Shame about Marler.

Kyle looked like he had loads of strapping on last week too, but not sure if it was due to injury, or just the tape and padding some of the forwards seem to have on their shoulders

Looking forward to tomorrow now. COYQ

JJQuin (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 12:09
Two second rows on the bench! Anyone know if any have played back row?

T-Bone (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 12:10
Ward can cover back row too. Surprised South or White aren't preferred to cover back row

Wyddy (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 12:14
Happy with that team. Visser again remains missing...

Front row is going to be verrrry difficult.

poorfour (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 12:23
Some thrilling match ups all over the field. Our backs have their work cut out for them, especially Roberts in containing Toomua and Smith vs Ford.

Veainu, Malouf and May have been in good form - but so have Yarde, Walker and Brown. I think possibly the only place where Quins have a definite edge in the backs is Marchant. If Roberts can draw his man, then while Matt Smith is a tidy player, Marchant has the eye for a gap.

However, I think we're going to have to win the forward battle. It's a big ask for Lambo against Cole, though I imagine Collier will be up for his battle with Genge. If it's close late in the game, then which Sinckler takes the field may determine the outcome.

I think Quins may have a slight edge in the back row - but only if Luamanu hangs onto the ball more than he has been doing.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 12:36
Bench is starting to look a bit better thank goodness.

TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 12:39
Quote:
talkshowhost86
Not ideal having Marler and Sinckler both drop out, but Lambert and Collier are more than experienced enough to fill that gap. Probably better off having Buchanan than Ward at hooker as well, although only if Buchanan gets his throwing right.
Looks like we've got a bit more off the bench this week which is good, although that Leicester back line does look frightening. I can't see us getting out of this one without conceding a few tries, so we'll need to be equally dangerous in attack ourselves.

Should be a close one.

I think the TH swap is tactical. Collier is the better scrummager of the two so is preferred to start against a well drilled forward pack. Once Will has ground them down, Kyle can come on and create havoc

Quote:
Wyddy
Happy with that team. Visser again remains missing...
Front row is going to be verrrry difficult.

Based on the performances so far, Walker is in charge of the destiny of the 11 shirt, Visser is going to have tostep up his game to get it back

West Stand, Block FD, Row S
@JT075 #COYQ

TwickGreenQuin (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 13:03
Been workiing abroad since August. FINALLLLLY get to get the old season ticket out of my wallet.

Massive apologies if I jonah the whole operation haha

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 13:11
Could be a problem if we lose a hooker and back row (hopefully not!) - has Ben Glynn ever played in the back row?

Same as last week - take the game to them and don't let them settle. Once Glaws got in and amongst Tigers last week, they started to lose some shape, but still prevailed - it will be close. Intensity and multiple phases of possession and game line success needed - should be dry so handling shouldn't be a problem.

COYQ!

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 13:22
Quote:
T-Bone
Ward can cover back row too. Surprised South or White aren't preferred to cover back row

Ben Flynn has been rather underwhelming in his own Position.

Would have preferred Sloan to roberts.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 13:35
Quote:
poorfour
If Roberts can draw his man, then while Matt Smith is a tidy player, Marchant has the eye for a gap.

I always rated Matt Smith. He reminded me of Tom William in the way that most fans outside of the club didn't realise just how good he was. Smith is getting on a bit now, but as you say, he is a tidy player. Not one to underestimate.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 15:36
Completely agree on Matt Smith, underestimate him at your peril.

Tigers are so dependent on hoping new players gel as a team now, as they don't bring any homegrown players through, just sign up people and expect them to fit in to the old ethos. Great fans, great club, but as a competitive team they should be done. Other teams are scared of them when they shouldn't be.

I was looking at a list of some of the players they've let go. Some of our more critical fans would say we should follow their ruthlessness, and get rid of club servants, and based on results compared to theirs it's be hard to argue. But based on the individual merits of the players, they should be very beatable, but like Sarries, their players clearly have the mindset that they ought to win every single game, and they've failed if they haven't. If we could get the attitude of Tigers combined wit the skill of our players, we'd be awesome

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 16:39
Quote:
T-Bone
Completely agree on Matt Smith, underestimate him at your peril.
Tigers are so dependent on hoping new players gel as a team now, as they don't bring any homegrown players through, just sign up people and expect them to fit in to the old ethos. Great fans, great club, but as a competitive team they should be done. Other teams are scared of them when they shouldn't be.

I was looking at a list of some of the players they've let go. Some of our more critical fans would say we should follow their ruthlessness, and get rid of club servants, and based on results compared to theirs it's be hard to argue. But based on the individual merits of the players, they should be very beatable, but like Sarries, their players clearly have the mindset that they ought to win every single game, and they've failed if they haven't. If we could get the attitude of Tigers combined wit the skill of our players, we'd be awesome

Well said. Agree 100%

tigerburnie (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 16:53
As usual two good looking sides selected and the backs are both sprinkled with plenty of talent, our front row is at full strength and your second row is probably stronger than ours, back rows could go either way. Home advantage is important, but Tigers really do need to start well to negate that and silence the crowd, I expect Tigers to dominate in the scrum and loose, but our lineout has been woeful. Forwards will win it, so it is in our hands to cause an upset, think it will be close, I hope Tigers win, but the way we've started I've no idea if we will.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 17:04
15. Mike Brown = Telusa Veainu
14. Marland Yarde > Nick Malouf
13. Joe Marchant > Matt Smith
12. Jamie Roberts = Matt Toomua
11. Charlie Walker < Jonny May
10. Marcus Smith < George Ford
9. Danny Care = Ben Youngs

1. Mark Lambert < Ellis Genge
2. Rob Buchanan < Tom Youngs
3. Will Collier < Dan Cole
4. George Merrick = Harry Wells
5. James Horwill > Dom Barrow]
6. Chris Robshaw > Mike Williams
7. Jack Clifford > Dominic Ryan
8. Mat Luamanu < Sione Kalamafoni

Backs 2-2
Forwards 3-4

Front row is all Tigers, back 5 probably edged by us, but all 5 are pretty close.

A lot is going to depend on our set piece (I know, twas ever thus)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/09/2017 17:05 by RodneyRegis.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 17:23
Hmmm, not sure I agree in some of those Rodney. All entirely subjective, and depends what you're after I suppose too

poorfour (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 17:51
I'd broadly agree with Rodney, but I think that for the front rows you need to pit loosehead against tighthead. Viewed that way, Lambo < Cole, but I think Collier vs Genge could go either way depending on how many setpieces we have. Genge is better in the loose but Collier has the edge in the scrum.

And I think Buchanan will have a point to prove against Tom Youngs. Rob's closer to Eddie's thoughts than Tom right now.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 17:59
Here's hoping we play as well as last weekend
Think the scrum will be out main weakness,but backs look very strong going by current form

Think it's going to be tight either way

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 18:42
Quote:
T-Bone
Hmmm, not sure I agree in some of those Rodney. All entirely subjective, and depends what you're after I suppose too

Plenty of close calls there for sure. Good that you stuck your neck out and specified your disagreements.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 18:50
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
T-Bone

Plenty of close calls there for sure. Good that you stuck your neck out and specified your disagreements.

I think you have it bang on. You could argue over the 12s but neither has impressed upon moving to England.

poorfour (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 22:57
Tigers fans talking themselves down (mostly) on their unoffy and bemoaning the state of their injury and unfavoured list.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net