rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Danny doesn't know the laws
T-Bone (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 15:56
Either care doesn't know you can still take the lineout if you kick a pen to touch after time's up, or he thought tap and go from 70m was a good option, or he thought we'd lose yet another lineout. What a shambles

Re: Danny doesn't know the laws
Jammy Git (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 15:57
He definitely knew the laws, he was mentioning it to the ref.

He probably also knew a kick from about 5m from the touchline and 5m from the tryline, with Tim Swiel kicking, wasn't going to help a great deal.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

T-Bone (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 16:01
Ok, so he's just moronic then

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 16:05
That's a bit harsh. We were not going to make much ground from a kick there. He acted like we were going to take it then went quickly to try and catch Tigers off guard. It didn't work, but there was clear thinking behind it.

I know it's easy to criticise something when it doesn't come off but given we were pinned in the corner the kick to touch wasn't going to earn us much, was going to give Tigers' defence chance to regroup, give their players the opportunity for a breather, AND have them attack our lineout.

It's easy to understand why he did it.

Tigers held out strongly in the last few minutes and despite asking them a lot of questions they were up to it. Fair play.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 16:10
Not sure what questions we asked. Can we go upfield if we run sideways?

We had to kick there. We'd gone nowhere for 2 minutes, we'd have kept possession further up the park.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 16:12
You must have missed the number of times Tigers managed to scramble when defenders were isolated against good steppers or players were threatening a break.

"Further up the park" would've been barely out of our 22 given Swiel's boot and the angle, I can easily understand why thinking that trying to exhaust a big Tigers side instead was more likely to give us a chance. If anything it was Brown's decision to kick wide that was the really low percentage play.

Hellequin (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 16:19
The issue is that we should have been looking to kick it long with 2mins to go not once the 80mins had elapsed.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 16:20
Also agree with that. Have one probe then belt it long - either to touch and attack their lineout, or chase like hell.

Rocker (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 17:07
I was wondering what the hell they were doing @#$%& about in the 22, going sideways with 3 minutes on the clock. Very bad game management frankly (yet again) from Quins. I honestly think our biggest problem is the top 2 inches (or lack thereof)

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 17:27
It's a small point but I though it was more like 1m 30s on the clock. With that little time left it's always highly unlikely to get up the other end and someone will need to take a risk. Plus it's key not to give the ball away, so no point kicking to touch.

Rocker (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 17:31
Sorry QP I disagree. With our record of controlling the pick and drive (especially with Robshaw off) mucking around in your own 22 is equally if not more dangerous. I've turnover and you're stuffed as the defence has no depth to scramble.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 17:48
I think trying to run it out was the best option. Retain possession at all costs. Tigers defended excellently at that point with some real last ditch scrambling. Also, we did have the speedsters that, if a break had been made, could easily have gone the length of the pitch.

Hellequin (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 17:48
QP the issue is that if the kick for territory had been earlier there may have been the opportunity to go for a tigers mistake. Rather than than trying to play from the 22 then kicking after 80mins was up.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 17:51
Hq, I think most teams leading on the scoreboard would be pretty confident of keeping possession for a minute and a half to close the game out, similar to what we did last week.

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 18:03
Quote:
Quinky Kin
I think trying to run it out was the best option. Retain possession at all costs. Tigers defended excellently at that point with some real last ditch scrambling. Also, we did have the speedsters that, if a break had been made, could easily have gone the length of the pitch.

Last ditch scrambling?

We didn’t get close to doing anything in that last few minutes.

We just went sideways again and again. Much as we did for most of the game really.

Wasn’t Danny’s fault but just a symptom of our mediocrity today.

Rocker (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 17:57
Yes it than the is bit of magic we didn't must of the match going sideways and then getting turned over. Or that's how it felt. I'd be interested to see the possession stats, get like we had more possession but didn't do anything with it.

The Baptist (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 18:03
I'm sure when Care tapped it and shifted it along to Brown, he wasn't expecting him to hoof it over to the other side of the pitch where Alofa Alof was marked by 3 players.

Terrible decision making from one of our most senior players....

Dave L (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 18:04
Quote:
The Baptist
I'm sure when Care tapped it and shifted it along to Brown, he wasn't expecting him to hoof it over to the other side of the pitch where Alofa Alof was marked by 3 players.
Terrible decision making from one of our most senior players....

Yes, that was a bit bizarre from Mike wasn't it.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 19:45
We had a LBP, the only chance we had was to break down field but the only speedster was Swiel who was also the only kicker as Mike was crocked. To kick upfield would have given Tigers possession and if they scored would have lost us a point. The penalty was too close to the touch line to get any distance plus no guarantee of possession from line out. Keep possession, keep the point. Mike kicking was a bit desperate and could have cost us.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net