rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Back Row Blind Spot
Cookie (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 09:56
With Wallace (season), Bothma (2-3 months) and Chis (indefinitely) out for long periods and Robbo & Jack off to England duties soon, why on earth have we not signed any cover?

Playing a quarter of the game with Ben Glyn at 6 yesterday was a big part of why we lost (and that's not to have a go at him - it's not his fault). If Robshaw had gone down earlier, the game wouldn't have been close.

And it's not a salary cap question as there are provisions made for replacing players out for long periods.

Re: Back Row Blind Spot
Dave L (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 09:58
I agree. Amazed we haven't found an injury replacement for Wallace.

24 September, 2017 10:23
Because we have the tightest CEO in the league...

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 10:25
Does anybody actually believe that replacements are not being looked in to?

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 10:33
I don't think anyone would have reasonably predicted that Clifford would be called up again so soon. He's only there because of injury and because he's had a mammoth start to the season. He won't play in the England games, further injuries aside.

I thought the club just said that Chisholm Jr. Would be back in a few weeks?

Cookie (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 10:48
This was a debate for weeks ago, though.

August 12th is when we knew Wallace was out for the season while at the same time Chis was struggling with concussion. That's almost 6 weeks ago. Since then we've picked up another longer term injury (Bothma, which itself was 3 weeks ago).

So in answer to BB's question, if they are, they're doing it very slowly. I'm more inclined to agree with The Clown.

24 September, 2017 12:06
Point taken but just like you I have no idea how these things work in practice and how many players are out there kicking their heels and if their clubs are willing to release them.

Cookie (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 12:19
Agreed it will be harder now the season has started.

I'd like to see if we could get Ben McCalman in from the disbanded Western Force.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 12:33
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy

We never get medical jokers.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 12:44
Molenaar was a Medical joker, I believe. He turned out to be a shrewd call-up. I'd posit that the club aren't choosing to go without cover, but as BB has said, at this point in the global calendar, available cover may not be the easiest to find.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 13:04
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy

We never get medical jokers.

That's a sweeping statement. And of course, completely wrong.

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 13:16
It's a balance isn't it? - We have a number of young players who play back row Archie White as an example, Stan South another, Cheeseman (although injured a third) - So do you spend money on players that are no better and deny them the chance to play. Having said that, having Glyn & Matthews on the bench seemed very odd - Also odd they didn't have Ward on as BackRow cover.

I firmly believe that if the right player was to come along we would snap them up...

But you guys can keep going on with the conspiracy theories if you like and the 'tight CEO' is the gentleman that has bankrolled the club for an incredibly long time having never made a profit - so perhaps be a little more generous yourself....

Medical Jokers that we never get:
Tyler Gendall
Luc Jones
just two examples from last year and that Aussie back rower??

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 13:20
Was Reddish in as injury cover?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 13:25
Quote:
Fearless Fred
Molenaar was a Medical joker, I believe. He turned out to be a shrewd call-up. I'd posit that the club aren't choosing to go without cover, but as BB has said, at this point in the global calendar, available cover may not be the easiest to find.

Yeah, that was some time ago.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 13:27
You guys are all forgetting the epic Paul Sackey for Ross Chisholm injury cover

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 13:32
An inspired piece of business...

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 13:33
Nick Kennedy as Well, who came in and poached a bunch of our players for Irish. Or was he a full signing?

Dave L (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 14:38
Kennedy was a full signing after Kohn retired.

akb1 (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 14:46
Ben Glynn is injury cover for Twomey

Cairns Family (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 23:35
Sarreis have announced that they're going to get injury cover for Billy V as they now have 3 back row players injured. Currently, if Chris is concussed, we have 4 injured back row players and no further cover beyond young Mr White if we start Clifford, Luamanu and Ward on Saturday.

SiBolton (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 06:39
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy

Obviously some do
But you're right of course they are looking,
Speaking to Bothma on Saturday he's hoping for 5/8 weeks before back

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/09/2017 06:40 by SiBolton.

akb1 (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 07:03
Quote:
Cairns Family
... no further cover beyond young Mr White if we start Clifford, Luamanu and Ward on Saturday.
And Dino Lamb, but agree we aren't in a great place for backrow cover at tge moment.

Cookie (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 10:16
As mentioned by CF, Sarries are in a near identical situation and are now going to do something about it.

Let's see how hard they find it to get a replacement on short notice..........

CroydonQuin (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 10:56
I honestly thought we were short in the back row before wallace injured his hip and bothma rebroke his arm. There are the likes of archie white and dino lamb but if they dont make the 23 against tigers, when will they.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 15:40
Well, there's photos just been tweeted by Quins from the England training camp in Oxford, and Robbo is shown there, so it may mean that he's not as badly injured as we feared.

26 September, 2017 16:01
He tweeted after the game that his head was OK.

Cookie (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 17:10
He's ok, but if he was knocked out doesn't that mean an automatic 3 weeks out?

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 17:19
Three weeks is recommended for adults without the benefit of private doctors.

Players follow the graduated return to play protocol, which can get them playing within 5 days assuming no further symptoms.

TitusQuin (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 18:31
It does seem v odd unless Chisholm isn't far away form returning and we are being cautious with the injury dispensation money.

Any more injuries and Minty may have to get his boots back on.......

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 19:25
Quote:
Cookie
He's ok, but if he was knocked out doesn't that mean an automatic 3 weeks out?

That hasn't been true for several years now.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

Mayor West (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 20:50
Don't players have to be out for a minimum 3 months before you can get in an injury replacement of similar quality. Bothma could be back too soon as could Baby Chis. So only Wallace counts.

poorfour (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 21:51
The way Baby Chis has been talked about in the injury releases makes me think that he's back in training but not yet match fit, in which case he could be very close to returning. A Chris/Cliff/Chis back row would give me much more confidence.

Cookie (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 08:47
Quote:
Mayor West
Don't players have to be out for a minimum 3 months before you can get in an injury replacement of similar quality. Bothma could be back too soon as could Baby Chis. So only Wallace counts.

One would be a start.........

Cookie (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 11:19
Quote:
SiBolton
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy

Obviously some do

Sorry to disappoint you both, but Nick Evans told me yesterday we are NOT looking at bringing in any extra players.

01 October, 2017 11:41
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
SiBolton
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy

Obviously some do

Sorry to disappoint you both, but Nick Evans told me yesterday we are NOT looking at bringing in any extra players.

So they have looked in to it and decided they are not needed presumably.

Cookie (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 11:51
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
SiBolton
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy

Obviously some do

So they have looked in to it and decided they are not needed presumably.

They're wrong. The way he said it made me think they weren't bothering. Even with Robshaw back next week, Ben Glynn will still be covering the back row, which is absurd.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 12:01
I thought that Lamb and White dodn't look out of their depth when they came on yesterday.

On a different note, TRP reports that Clifford is out of contract at the end of this season and is being touted around French clubs.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 15:41
Quote:
Quinky Kin
I thought that Lamb and White dodn't look out of their depth when they came on yesterday.
On a different note, TRP reports that Clifford is out of contract at the end of this season and is being touted around French clubs.

By his agent.

Scrumhead (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 20:19
Quote:
Cookie
As mentioned by CF, Sarries are in a near identical situation and are now going to do something about it.
Let's see how hard they find it to get a replacement on short notice..........

Exactly. And I'd say Sarries are actually in a better position than we are. The lock they're playing out of position is Marco Itoje not Ben Glynn and with Wray and Clark they have two very experienced Premiership players with Ben Earl as a bench option.

Since Wallace was injured Guy Mercer and Olly Robinson have moved to Ospreys and Cardiff Blues. Either of those could have done a decent job for us. Even if Bath hadn't wanted to loan us Mercer, I can't see any reason why Bristol wouldn't have allowed us to borrow Robinson.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 21:41
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Quinky Kin

By his agent.

Who else would tout him?

Angostura (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 09:02
Quote:
Nev's Left Boot
But you guys can keep going on with the conspiracy theories if you like and the 'tight CEO' is the gentleman that has bankrolled the club for an incredibly long time having never made a profit - so perhaps be a little more generous yourself....

I never knew David Ellis bankrolled the club!! I suspect this is news to many of us.

RESPECT THE REF - NO REF, NO GAME!

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 13:27
Oops

Illegitimi non carborundum

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 13:44
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Quinky Kin

By his agent.

Who else would tout him?

OK, let me put it another way.

He won't leave, and certainly not to France. his agent is trying to up his renewal offer.

DOK (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 11:08
Won't play for England if not in England.

ChipsteadQuin (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 11:59
When I read TRP on Sunday my recollection is that Joe Gray and Jack Clifford are out of contract at the end of this season and there has been interest from the Top 14 ( no doubt touted by agents as suggested above),but suggests that while Gray may have his head turned its unlikely that Clifford will as he is trying to consolidate an England place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2017 12:09 by ChipsteadQuin.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 12:40
Quote:
ChipsteadQuin
When I read TRP on Sunday my recollection is that Joe Gray and Jack Clifford are out of contract at the end of this season and there has been interest from the Top 14 ( no doubt touted by agents as suggested above),but suggests that while Gray may have his head turned its unlikely that Clifford will as he is trying to consolidate an England place.

Yep, that's how I read it. At the moment Jack is some way down the pecking order for England. If that situation improves for him then no doubt he'll stay, at least in England. If he falls down the order, maybe he'll be tempted away. I really hope not, but it's easy to understand the lure of a big pay day in a short career.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 15:54
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
ChipsteadQuin

Yep, that's how I read it. At the moment Jack is some way down the pecking order for England. If that situation improves for him then no doubt he'll stay, at least in England. If he falls down the order, maybe he'll be tempted away. I really hope not, but it's easy to understand the lure of a big pay day in a short career.

Especially a short career where he's already struggled with concussion.

England age group captain on the fringes of squad though, can't see him going.

Gray is another matter. Good luck to him

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net