rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Mike Brown and his ankle
NicoWilson (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 04:38
The Grauniad is saying that Mike has aggravated an old injury to his ankle and that he wonít be playing against Saints.

Grauniad article

Re: Mike Brown and his ankle
Dark Pies (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 06:24
JK said: ďHe has been away with England for two or three days and they have done some treatment on it. He is not fit to play this weekend. Itís clearly something thatís not quite right and therefore, after heís reaggravated it, itís better to leave it a bit and give it some more time.Ē

Blast. Have we got any FB cover other than Swiel? How long is Ross Chisholm out?

akb1 (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 06:32
Aaron Morris is available also.
Bad news about Brown, he was clearly in pain for quite a while on Sat but carried on playing.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 06:37
Walker could cover if Visser came in

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 06:38
Not really confident in walker defending at 15 for a whole match.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 08:14
Walker may still be injured. Has there been an update?

I can see Visser being selected this week. Whether it's Morris, Swiel or Walker at fullback, we have a range of options. Walker at fullback wouldn't overly worry me - he'd be an incredible strike runner to return kicks, and his defence seems to have improved of late.

Cookie (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 08:23
Quote:
Quinky Kin
I can see Visser being selected this week. Whether it's Morris, Swiel or Walker at fullback, we have a range of options. Walker at fullback wouldn't overly worry me - he'd be an incredible strike runner to return kicks, and his defence seems to have improved of late.

Apart from failing to stop their smallest player for the first try on Saturday and injuring himself in the process.........

He's still only picked for his attack in spite of his poor defence. I'd rather Swiel at 15.

never sleep (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 08:48
I think it is best to work with combinations who have played together - so, I would play Visser on wing and Swiel at FB.
The big pro for this is that you can just yell "Go Tim!" at the TV whenever one of them gets the ball.

Boonie (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 08:58
Quote:
never sleep
I think it is best to work with combinations who have played together - so, I would play Visser on wing and Swiel at FB.
The big pro for this is that you can just yell "Go Tim!" at the TV whenever one of them gets the ball.

Love the way you've picked out the most important element! smiling smiley

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 09:04
Quote:
never sleep

Brilliant!

This has made my day.

ArchQuin (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 11:52
Walker at Full Back - No Thanks- Swiel any day over Walker

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 12:09
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Quinky Kin

Apart from failing to stop their smallest player for the first try on Saturday and injuring himself in the process.........

He's still only picked for his attack in spite of his poor defence. I'd rather Swiel at 15.

That's selective. Still, at least we won't have a fullback who was stepped by a prop.

Cookie (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 12:45
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Quinky Kin

That's selective. Still, at least we won't have a fullback who was stepped by a prop.

To suggest it was selective would be to say Charlie's defence is normally excellent. It isn't.

DOK (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 15:41

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 16:46
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Quinky Kin

To suggest it was selective would be to say Charlie's defence is normally excellent. It isn't.

Because of course I said it was excellent... in no post whatsoever. I did however say it was greatly improved, although the fact that he missed a tackle seems to be rather damning in your eyes. Maybe he should retire?

But what about Mike Brown not tackling a prop, eh? Best offload him and get someone who never misses a tackle. Such as... erm... let me think... such as, no player who ever played the game?

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 21:02
Quote:

Great news that surgery not needed.

Cookie (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 02:40
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Quinky Kin

Because of course I said it was excellent... in no post whatsoever. I did however say it was greatly improved, although the fact that he missed a tackle seems to be rather damning in your eyes. Maybe he should retire?

But what about Mike Brown not tackling a prop, eh? Best offload him and get someone who never misses a tackle. Such as... erm... let me think... such as, no player who ever played the game?

Brown's defence is normally excellent, so you can allow him the odd mistake. And he wasn't 'stepped'. He simply missed the tackle. He was 'stepped' earlier in the game by Veianu, but I'd say that was more about the Tigers player's amazing footwork.

Charlie's is not, so even if it has improved, it's still not good enough. To suggest a failed tackle that led to a try is 'subjective' is misleading as it suggests the trend is that it is normally the opposite of that instance. It is not.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 07:06
Stop being ridiculous slinky. Charlie's a poor defender, this much is obvious.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 08:08
Quote:
RodneyRegis

So you disagree that his defending has improved? On the basis of a missed tackle? Meanwhile you point out that two players managed to skip their way past Brown, but his defence is unquestionable...

FWIW I think Brown is one of the best defenders around. Missing the odd tackle is no massive sin, unless it's Walker who misses it, apparently.

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 11:07
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
RodneyRegis

So you disagree that his defending has improved? On the basis of a missed tackle? Meanwhile you point out that two players managed to skip their way past Brown, but his defence is unquestionable...

FWIW I think Brown is one of the best defenders around. Missing the odd tackle is no massive sin, unless it's Walker who misses it, apparently.

You could start an argument in an empty room. Nobody is basing their analysis of Walker's defence on one missed tackle.

There are so many straw men in your post it's like a cornfield.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 11:52
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
RodneyRegis

You could start an argument in an empty room. Nobody is basing their analysis of Walker's defence on one missed tackle.

There are so many straw men in your post it's like a cornfield.

You clearly missed this part:

Quote:
Apart from failing to stop their smallest player
in response to the suggestion that Walker's defence is improved.
Or perhaps you could clarify or quantify the basis for your sweeping suggestion that
Quote:
Charlie's a poor defender, this much is obvious.

Maybe it's as astute as your claim that we "never use medical jokers"... apart from all the ones that were subsequently pointed out to you. Or should we go over your (non) understanding of the bonus point system?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 12:48
You're right, over the past 3 or 4 years we have used medical jokers when it's either that or fail to put a side for a match.

Let me try and break down your response and show you where you are using false premise to make your argument.

So you disagree that his defending has improved? Nobody did. We said his defence is poor, that doesn't mean we don't think it has improved.

Meanwhile you point out that two players managed to skip their way past Brown, but his defence is unquestionable...
Well, that's just a contradiction.

Missing the odd tackle is no massive sin, unless it's Walker who misses it, apparently. Again, nobody said it was a massive sin to miss a tackle, and nobody said that it was only a massive sin if it was Walker.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 12:52
Quote:
RodneyRegis
You're right, over the past 3 or 4 years we have used medical jokers when it's either that or fail to put a side for a match.
Let me try and break down your response and show you where you are using false premise to make your argument.

So you disagree that his defending has improved? Nobody did. We said his defence is poor, that doesn't mean we don't think it has improved.

Meanwhile you point out that two players managed to skip their way past Brown, but his defence is unquestionable...
Well, that's just a contradiction.

Missing the odd tackle is no massive sin, unless it's Walker who misses it, apparently. Again, nobody said it was a massive sin to miss a tackle, and nobody said that it was only a massive sin if it was Walker.

Well, let me ask you again, nice and clearly:

My comment was that Walker's defence has improved greatly. Do you agree that it has improved greatly, or do you disagree?

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 13:59
It has improved. I'm not sure it's improved greatly. I'm not confident that he should be starting a game at full back, regardless.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 14:09
Quote:
RodneyRegis
It has improved. I'm not sure it's improved greatly. I'm not confident that he should be starting a game at full back, regardless.

I'm glad we've cleared that up. My belief is different - I think in an emergency he'd do well at full back. I guess we'll have to see, IF it ever happens.

InsertQuinsPunHere (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 14:12
He's concussed... I hope you're both happy now.

(end sarcasm!)

T-Bone (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 16:57
Is there a room QK and RR can retire to?

Walker's defence has improved, and he is in great form. Still fairly suspect, and I doubt it'll ever be his strong point, partly due to his size, but I reckon he'll probably score more points for us than he concedes. If people want his defence to improve significantly, he'll probably have to bulk up a lot, which will mean he'll lose his pace and quick feet, a la Ugo.

As for him covering at full back, not sure I've seen him do it, but would have Swiel there ahead of him, and bit of a moot point now Morris is back, Chisholm back soon and Brown only out for one game

29 September, 2017 17:33
The thought of Walker at full back conjures the memory of poor old Ugo being the last turkey in the shop a few years back.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 21:29
And yet one of our former players (Ollie Smith I believe) thought that Walker's best position was at fullback.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net