Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Wasps cutting squad due to salary pressures
Boonie (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 12:28
Story from the Beeb

Dai Young: Wasps director of rugby forced to trim squad

By Chris Jones
BBC Radio 5 live rugby reporter

Wasps director of rugby Dai Young says he has had to cut the size of his squad at the Premiership club in order to cope with escalating player salaries.

The Premiership salary cap will be frozen at 7 million for the next three seasons, while wages have been on the rise.

Young says that in the current climate the "maths don't quite add up".

"The salary cap is not moving and players want to get their market value," Young told BBC 5 live.

"We have gone from 45 to 43 to 42 to 40 players. Our squad is getting smaller to keep the quality players we have got.

"The pay demands have gone up, so it's a square peg in a round hole pretty much."

The issue of player welfare is high on the agenda in light of the Premiership's controversial plans to extend the season, but smaller squad numbers will only serve to put extra strain on players, especially in an injury crisis.

Saracens and England number eight Billy Vunipola told the BBC that he would be prepared to take a pay cut in order to play fewer matches, but Young doubts whether this is a commonly held view.

Young asked: "Are players putting their hands up to take less to get bigger squads? I haven't come across that yet and certainly, if the players are feeling that, it's not getting through to the agents.

"Their careers are short and they are all looking for market value and we all get that. But the maths don't quite add up and, at some point, we need to sit down and plan our way through it."

England captain Dylan Hartley feels that players should be free to maximise their earning potential during their short careers.

"I want the players to get paid as much as possible," he told BBC 5 live.

"Every rugby player earns every penny. Knowing what the guys put their bodies through and the risks they are taking, they should get paid as much as they can."

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

Re: Wasps cutting squad due to salary pressures
raedarius (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 12:36
"The salary cap is not moving and players want to get their market value," Young told BBC 5 live.

Someone needs to explain to the players what the market actually is...

Rocker (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 16:50
Quote:
raedarius
Someone needs to explain to the players what the market actually is...

Well yes, market value is market value, if you think you can earn more elsewhere go for it has to the answer at some stage.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 16:52
We bought in a squad of superstars and now can't afford to keep them. Boo hoo

The Quin Meister (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 17:28
This has to be good news for Premiership rugby. The higher salary cap is beginning to bite, even at Wasps. Excellent! I remember Dai Young saying 3 years ago after they got their finances sorted: "I used to shop at M&S now I shop at Harrods". The only reason Dai's sums don't add up is presumably because they have too many stars being paid more money than is viable. Welcome back to the real world Dai.

It seems that for clubs like Saracens, Wasps and indeed Quins, alot more of the salary cap this year has gone on retaining their English star players, with players' agents no doubt doing their bit. Such clubs over the next 3 seasons will have to get more adept at saying "no" to some players contract demands. It will mean some players will choose to move on and chase a better a contract elsewhere and some will take account of wider considerations and choose to stay.

We want players to have decent pay; we want our clubs to be financially viable; we want a level playing field. So I am glad the salary cap isn't moving for a while.

Samquin (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 08:27
Smaller Squads won't help clubs if they have players on international call up and possibly 15+ injuries which is not unusual. Bath couldn't even get an A team out last week. Quins have been relying on more guest players for A games I assume to preserve the existing squad.

Jammy Git (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 09:32
It's a bit backwards - there's huge physical demands on a club's players and a decently sized squad is needed. Wasps obviously blew big money on some big name imports and that doesn't happen in a vacuum, it tends to make their teammates want more too.

O Fortuna, velut luna statu variabilis,
semper crescis aut decrescis

ChiddQuin (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 14:24
Perhaps along with the salary cap there ought to be a minimum squad size. I'm all for players earning what they can but the trouble is every time the cap goes up so do the salaries! We've gone from under 2m to 7m in a decade.

The Bard (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 18:53
It is a very tricky conundrum. The players can't really expect to get the biggest possible salary and then complain when the clubs want them to play every week!
I do wonder whether we'll see rugby going down the cricket route, where players only sign on for certain tournaments.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net