rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Fixture changes & Fraud
Stooperman (IP Logged)
05 October, 2017 18:06
Looking at the revised fixture list, it appears that after the Big Game, we have 1 weekend home game before the end of the season. I made it quite clear when I renewed that I was concerned about (nay hated) and could not attend Friday night games. When the original fixture list came out, we had a lot of weekend afternoon games. Now it seems that we have been shunted to Friday night for almost all our games (probably cos we are crap, and therefore get low viewing figures)...but nevertheless I feel that Ellis in particular and PRL rugby have sold me a season ticket on a fraudulent basis. Feeling pretty upset (i'd like to use another word, but don't want to set off the swear filter.).

Re: Fixture changes & Fraud
T-Bone (IP Logged)
05 October, 2017 18:21
Presumably some due to 6 nations? Or not

DOK (IP Logged)
05 October, 2017 18:14
They sold you a season ticket where you knew television could play silly Bs with the fixture list. At the time they sold it TV hadn't decided which matches would go where. I'm all for having a psychic CEO, but I'm not sure it was specified when they recruited him.

Stooperman (IP Logged)
05 October, 2017 18:17
Quote:
DOK
They sold you a season ticket where you knew television could play silly Bs with the fixture list. At the time they sold it TV hadn't decided which matches would go where. I'm all for having a psychic CEO, but I'm not sure it was specified when they recruited him.

Fair point DOK. But wasn't he asked about this at one of the meetings, and promised to make strong representations on our behalf. I know a lot of people like the Friday night fixtures, but for me its just now impossible.

Unfortunately, this will definitely be my last season as a season ticket holder because of this.

I'm sure this won't matter, as there will be many other fans queuing up to be financially pillaged.
(Sm102)

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
05 October, 2017 18:23
YES! Love Friday night games!!!!

DOK (IP Logged)
05 October, 2017 18:25
Season ticket churn of 20%. You won't even be noticed. Be careful of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Work out the number of matches you would come to in a season and then see if any season ticket would be cheaper.

But honestly, without a season ticket I too would miss Friday games, Anglo Welsh games.

Dibden (IP Logged)
05 October, 2017 18:29
Fridays are another reason I didnít renew my season ticket.20% churn doesnít sound too good but since the numbers have gone up the club reasonably concludes there isnít a problem

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
05 October, 2017 18:43
Quote:
Stooperman
Fair point DOK. But wasn't he asked about this at one of the meetings, and promised to make strong representations on our behalf.

Unfortunately, strong representations won't make much difference to the TV people (or whoever demands changes to schedules).

DOK (IP Logged)
05 October, 2017 18:50
It was Mark Evans gave the 20% figure. It's just a fact of life for living in London apparently. People make life style changes more than people in "the provinces". They move out, they move on, they move up, they just move... It's not another stick to beat the club with!

05 October, 2017 18:52
LOVE Friday games.....my Son plays Saturday afternoon.....and his team are more fun to watch than Quins!

New Forest Quin (IP Logged)
05 October, 2017 21:11
Quote:
Stooperman
Quote:
DOK

Fair point DOK. But wasn't he asked about this at one of the meetings, and promised to make strong representations on our behalf. I know a lot of people like the Friday night fixtures, but for me its just now impossible.

Unfortunately, this will definitely be my last season as a season ticket holder because of this.

I'm sure this won't matter, as there will be many other fans queuing up to be financially pillaged.
(Sm102)

Sadly same for us. Mrs NFQ doesn't finish work until 18.00 and we live 90 miles away and so it'll just be buying tickets as and when matches are on at weekends.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
05 October, 2017 21:25
I'm sure we have a worse record on Friday nights too, but probably imagining it. They're fine for me but understand a pain for others. Nice to have a mix. It's not great when you get several in a row

Dave L (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 05:33
We have the problem of being a club that can play any night of the week assuming that HQ isn't in use. Loads of clubs in the league inxluding Exeter and Sarries don't have unrestricted use of their grounds so it often seems that it's ourselves, Northants, Gloucs and Leicester that get shunted around.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 06:01
Hold on. NO fixtures have been finalised after the first w/e in January for *any* of the competitions. Premiership round 13 is the latest that's been set, no Champions Cup dates set for Rounds 5 or 6 are set until after Round 4, and the Anglo Welsh rounds 3 & 4 have yet to be finalised. Yes, some may be pushed to a Friday or a Sunday, but as yet there's no reason to assume that 4 of our last 5 home Premiership games, or either the Champions Cup game or A/W game will be moved either.

So far this season, we have ONE friday night game (tonight). The rest are Saturday or Sunday. This is a better situation than previous seasons. Heck, as we've been in the Challenge Cup, we even had a Thursday night game, which we're not subject to this year as we're in the Champions Cup. Yes, we have to prepare for potential friday night games, particularly our game against Wasps as England are at home to Wales that Saturday, but that's no surprise. We'll also have the "fun" on the last round of having the Army/Navy game at the same time, but we won't be allowed to move that one as everyone has to kick-off at the same time.

Finknottle (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 08:34
I assume you are looking at the fixtures on the Quins website - which should be ignored as it is complete garbage. They used to have all unconfirmed games listed with the 3 potential dates (eg - Scarlets said 26/27/28) but for some reason they have changed all of them to the Friday date. If a game still has the kick off time listed as TBC I would ignore the date until it is confirmed.

T-Bone (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 08:35
Quote:
Dave L
We have the problem of being a club that can play any night of the week assuming that HQ isn't in use. Loads of clubs in the league inxluding Exeter and Sarries don't have unrestricted use of their grounds so it often seems that it's ourselves, Northants, Gloucs and Leicester that get shunted around.

why don't Exeter have unrestricted use of their ground?

Dark Pies (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 08:54
As per previous threads on this, its by no means universal that Saturday afternoon is always 'better' for everyone than Friday night. For a certain demographic I can see it, but not everyone.

Some on here will be shocked to discover that not all Quins members are <ahem> 'veteran gentlemen' in their 50s and 60s....Some of us have young families and wives that make half of Saturday at the Stoop every fortnight a major (borderline impossible) time commitment!!

For me personally, I like a relaxed Sat afternoon with a few beers as much as anyone, but a mixture of Friday/Saturday games make it much more viable for me to attend every match. Fridays also mean I can swap my son's seat and get an adult guest along a few times each season FOC, which is a nice perk.

Atmosphere is sometimes not as good with Friday Night Lights but I think that's often because the 'big' matches still happen on Saturdays and we get the Sales, Worcesters and Gloucesters on a Friday.

Anyway, its not all doom and gloom, and I can't believe anyone who isn't a new member would be surprised that there will be some Friday games!

Boonie (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 09:53
Friday night games was the primary reason my wife and I didn't renew our Season Tickets. Having been stuck on the M25 too many times, and getting to the ground late, it's just not worth the effort.

Saturday afternoons are far and away the best time for us. So it goes.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

Yareet (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 10:35
Quote:
Harleys Evil Step Mum
LOVE Friday games.....my Son plays Saturday afternoon.....and his team are more fun to watch than Quins!

Does your son not mind when you miss his games to spend Saturday afternoonís watching your stepson watch a game?

blucherquin (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 12:52
Either way itís simply #fakenews.

As rightly pointed out, there are no confirmed fixtures after Big Game 10.

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 13:25
Quote:
T-Bone
I'm sure we have a worse record on Friday nights too, but probably imagining it. They're fine for me but understand a pain for others. Nice to have a mix. It's not great when you get several in a row

It was a Friday night when (1) Marler debuted as Captain, and (2) we were nil'ed at home by Sarries.

Dave L (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 13:03
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
Dave L

I can't remember where I read that but something to do with local residents and/or transport issues on a Friday night.

MrOther (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 13:32
Quote:
Dave L
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
Dave L

I can't remember where I read that but something to do with local residents and/or transport issues on a Friday night.

Talking about Exeter and fixture changes, season before last Chiefs had a European game against Ospreys which had been advertised on their website for months as a Saturday fixture (only the kick-off time was still to be confirmed). On the basis of that I arranged with my sons that we'd meet up to take Granny to Sandy Park. It's the closest premiership ground to her, she's a rugby enthusiast and none of us had ever been there. Barely a month before match day the fixture was moved to Sunday. (I had been checking regularly to be sure that we'd get four seats together.) So there we were gathered from three countries with the flights, car hire, accommodation everything booked and suddenly no match. We went to Ashton Gate to see Bristol play an Ulster B-team in some sort of third-grade European tournament instead. Still never been to Sandy Park. Still p1ssed at Exeter.

DOK (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 15:43
If you get the fixture card they're giving out with the members badges, every fixture from Jan 2018 onward is "TBC"

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 16:12
On a forum where melodrama trumps fact, this thread is a corker.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 17:23
Quote:
The Dead Baron

I think the bit that sums up whatís happened to the world best is those who answered the first post without bothering to check if it was horse poop

Dark Pies (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 18:33
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
The Dead Baron

I think the bit that sums up whatís happened to the world best is those who answered the first post without bothering to check if it was horse poop

To be fair it's true that the club website has been updated this week to show mostly Fridays post-xmas, whereas it was mostly Saturdays last week. It's not obvious that the dates haven't been set in stone....and begs the question why they changed!

Stooperman (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 19:12
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
The Dead Baron

If you wish to call the info on the offy horse poop, be my guest. But I think you'd have to agree its unacceptable that we can't plan weekends & travel arrangements for fixtures in 2018. Its symptomatic of the PRL's craven surrender to big money TV. I don't like the way rugby is aping Association Football, & there's no need for it.

DOK (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 19:43
Well, I think someone worked out that if the club had to choose between a sell out at the Stoop or taking the TV money, then it was no contest. I understood Dave Ellis made plenty of representations about Friday night games, even offering to forego appearing on TV in exchange for Saturday games, but it was PRL forced him to give way, not the TV companies. They said it was a deal for all clubs and no-one could wriggle out of it.

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 20:04
Quote:
DOK
Well, I think someone worked out that if the club had to choose between a sell out at the Stoop or taking the TV money, then it was no contest. I understood Dave Ellis made plenty of representations about Friday night games, even offering to forego appearing on TV in exchange for Saturday games, but it was PRL forced him to give way, not the TV companies. They said it was a deal for all clubs and no-one could wriggle out of it.

I recall him saying that about a 7:45pm kickoff on a Saturday Night game when asked about it. He said the club was willing to forego the TV money for that game (a European game if I recall?) to move the kick-off back to an afternoon kickoff on either the Saturday or Sunday. He was basically told "No, the organisers (PRL or ERC) had agreed certain games would be on TV, and we couldn't opt out". Sadly we have to accept that the deals that fund the clubs far more than us paying punters have the abilityl to say when we play. For those of us who live/work further away from the Stoop which make evening kick-offs on *any* day a pain in the 'arris, that's part of supporting the team. Do I wish we always had 3pm Saturday K/Os? Yes. Will I continue to drive the 140 mile round trip instead of enjoying a leisurely train ride & pub lunch before the game when it's an evening K/O, Yes.

The Dead Baron (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 22:27
Quote:
Stooperman
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
The Dead Baron

If you wish to call the info on the offy horse poop, be my guest. But I think you'd have to agree its unacceptable that we can't plan weekends & travel arrangements for fixtures in 2018. Its symptomatic of the PRL's craven surrender to big money TV. I don't like the way rugby is aping Association Football, & there's no need for it.

Well looking at the BBC and the Premiership Rugby official site I'd say it's all very much still up in the air. So horse poop? Yes. Fraud? Not at all. And if you need 5 months notice to plan your social life you should count yourself very lucky.

Folks should be careful how them chuck around words like "fraud" without substantial evidence to back it up. Especially on a public forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2017 22:28 by The Dead Baron.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net