rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Nightmare journey home last night.
ChiddQuin (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 10:32
Did anyone else have trouble driving home after the match? It was a joke. M3 closed J2-3 so all traffic diverted on to M25 East so queues to join M25. M25 down to one lane for roadworks between J11 & 10 so huge queues again then finally A3 shut at Guildford for roadworks! Left right after final whistle, got home just before midnight! Four hours in the car to watch 80 minutes rugby!

Re: Nightmare journey home last night.
Rocker (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 10:35
Yes I had the same route (just a few villages away from you) and I was very thankful I was on my motorcycle! As it was I left at 22:20 and didn't get home till nearly 23:30, which considering it took 45 minutes to get there was rather a long time. I said to my wife that if I had been in the car I thought I'd still be in the m25. Which genius thought of having all those roadworks happening on the same night!!

Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 11:03
I did the same start to the journey to the M25, but I head north to the M4 & out that way. I thought they'd finished doing the M3 works...

GrubbyQuin (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 11:04
Yep, nice to see the “smart” motorway which cost £180 million, took years of work and opened just couple of months ago completely shut between two junctions for roadworks. Exactly like it was last season, every Friday evening, before it, er, opened.

Nev's Left Boot (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 11:38
Yep - I live close to you and had the same trouble - came off at Chertsey and went the back way - In the car at 10 - home by 11.30.

I do not understand why the people that plan these things don't consider NOT shutting down roads connected to each other?

Do the M3 thing - but don't do it at the same time as the M25 thing!

Rocker (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 11:42
Yes and the A3 too, seeing as most traffic diverted from the M3 will go A3 to Guildford probably! More evidence of a lack of joined up thinking.

Jus-Quin-Time (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 11:45
Similar experience but went west on M25 onto the A30 heading south. The M3/M25 junction was a nightmare but then we had a a clear run to the A30 only to encounter a huge tailback caused by a single set of traffic lights. The lights were timed to give A30 traffic exactly 7 seconds of green light against 1 minute of red. No more than 2-3 cars got through the junction at a time.

Given the A30 was the designated diversion route for the closed M3 it must have been a real genius that thought that little idea through. Frustrating.

We left 20 minutes after the game and arrived in Camberley at 30 minutes after midnight.

07 October, 2017 11:57
Same here. Massive bollockache

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 12:05
Could have been a bigger nightmare - imagine doing that journey with COYQ in the car, constantly telling you it was JK's fault!

Dave L (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 13:09
This has been an almost constant nightmare for the last two seasons whenever there has been a night game. There's never any signs put up before Sunbury on the A316 which is plenty irritating.

Glad I got the train last night!

New Forest Quin (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 13:15
Same for me.

I finally got back to the New Forest at 12.30.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 13:39
Quote:
New Forest Quin
Same for me.

I thought you said you weren't going to bother?

Illegitimi non carborundum

anotherfleetquin (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 13:43
I decided to second guess the Highways Agency and left the A316 at Sunbury, drove towards Hampton Court to pick up A3 at Esher, only to find Hampton Court Bridge was closed!! So drove back to Sunbury, then on to Staines to join A30, so missed the M25 queues. Only problem then was the rogue set of traffic lights as mentioned above. Back to Fleet at 11.15, so not too bad, but still 30 minutes longer than normal....what is normal?!?!

07 October, 2017 16:26
Quote:
Scaramouche
Quote:
New Forest Quin
Same for me.

What?

I said that my wife couldn't get to the evening games as she finishes work at 18.00 and we live 90 miles away and that we wouldn't be getting STs next season for this reason.

Saintquin (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 18:33
Yep!
Total C$&P!!!!

Harlequins, (was once) probably the best rugby club in the world!
(Sm115)(Sm115)(Sm115)

Stooperman (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 19:16
Watched it on telly - went to get my fix of live rugby at Maidenhead this afternoon on a Saturday at 3Pm. No offensive stewarding, fiver to get in, decent enough beer and no transport hassles - no bag checking. Proper rugby TBH. Oh and the kids were allowed to run around on the pitch, before, at half time, and after the match.

Might try Henley Hawks when the next Quins Friday night match happens.

FBQuin (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 20:22
Have calmed down now, but was fuming last night after taking almost 3 hours to get home from the game. We live in West Kent and the M25 was a nightmare. It was my lad's birthday and after a good win, we just wanted to get home as quickly as possible.
Which idiots at H & T schedule 2 lots of road works on 2 major routes within 5 miles of each other. I seem to remember this has happened before a couple of times.
Perhaps it might be train next time or alternatively, like others who live a considerable distance from The Stoop just give it a miss!

RocQuin (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 20:55
Quote:
FBQuin
Have calmed down now, but was fuming last night after taking almost 3 hours to get home from the game. We live in West Kent and the M25 was a nightmare. It was my lad's birthday and after a good win, we just wanted to get home as quickly as possible.
Which idiots at H & T schedule 2 lots of road works on 2 major routes within 5 miles of each other. I seem to remember this has happened before a couple of times.
Perhaps it might be train next time or alternatively, like others who live a considerable distance from The Stoop just give it a miss!

I have not attended a Friday evening game for many years, the logistical problems are just too big, driving is too much hassle, and public transport is a non starter unless I want to spend a night in a hotel.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 21:09
Quote:
Stooperman
Watched it on telly - went to get my fix of live rugby at Maidenhead this afternoon on a Saturday at 3Pm. No offensive stewarding, fiver to get in, decent enough beer and no transport hassles - no bag checking. Proper rugby TBH. Oh and the kids were allowed to run around on the pitch, before, at half time, and after the match.

Ah, my old club. I understand they won today. Not doing bad since they were promoted. Good at home, picking up LBPs away.

IsteadQuin (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 21:01
Absolute nightmare. Quick visit to the shop and walk to Twickenham as that’s where the car was, together with this meant we got back to the North West Kent at 1am! Great after getting up at 5.40am for work! What really annoyed me though were all the idiots unable to read the road signs or who were so rude they thought it was their god given right to not join the queue and just came screaming down the inside lanes and then pushed in nearer the roadworks! Rant over!

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 21:20
Quote:
IsteadQuin
What really annoyed me though were all the idiots unable to read the road signs or who were so rude they thought it was their god given right to not join the queue and just came screaming down the inside lanes and then pushed in nearer the roadworks! Rant over!

It's called 'merge in turn'.

The idea is that all lanes are used up to the point where the restriction is and then vehicles merge together into one lane in sequence. It is quicker and more effective.

Otherwise, what would you do? Have one single line of traffic for five miles?

Robertquin (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 21:49
Quote:
QuickerQuin
Quote:
IsteadQuin
What really annoyed me though were all the idiots unable to read the road signs or who were so rude they thought it was their god given right to not join the queue and just came screaming down the inside lanes and then pushed in nearer the roadworks! Rant over!

It's called 'merge in turn'.

The idea is that all lanes are used up to the point where the restriction is and then vehicles merge together into one lane in sequence. It is quicker and more effective.

Otherwise, what would you do? Have one single line of traffic for five miles?

Yes. If it kept things moving.

TW Quin (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 22:06
Guildford New Forest Kent and all those who travelled from afar for a Friday night televised game brilliant that we have such loyal support!

Snowman (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 07:18
Istead Quin:
Sorry - guilty as charged
In my defence can I say that I made it to Cobham services just in time to avoid a very unfortunate occurrence
Worst car journey home from a match in 18 years as ST holder

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 08:47
Quote:
New Forest Quin
Quote:
Scaramouche
Quote:
New Forest Quin
Same for me.

What?

I said that my wife couldn't get to the evening games as she finishes work at 18.00 and we live 90 miles away and that we wouldn't be getting STs next season for this reason.

Senior moment, sozzzz. Great game though!!

NicoWilson (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 12:50
Quote:
Stooperman

Beer is good at Beaconsfield too

Mancquin (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 12:58
No problem for me. I walked back to my flat in Strawberry Hill.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 13:14
Smug much...?

Mancquin (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 15:29
I just answered the question which was asked. Incidentally for anyone thinking of retiring and / or downsizing, my wife and I sold the family home with garden in Surrey,when the kids left home and moved into Richmond Borough. No gardening. No neighbours to get on with as no-one in a London Borough has much to do with neighbours and a 20 Minute walk to Quins. For countryside we have Twickenham Green and 3 good pubs in walking distance.
Just saying.

simjam (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 16:07
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Could have been a bigger nightmare - imagine doing that journey with COYQ in the car, constantly telling you it was JK's fault!
Question QK, will you be sending COYQ a Christmas Card this year.

08 October, 2017 16:45
Quote:
Scaramouche
Quote:
New Forest Quin
Quote:
Scaramouche
Quote:
New Forest Quin
Same for me.

What?

Senior moment, sozzzz. Great game though!!

No problem at all.

Monte (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 17:51
After La Rochelle will go home via Hampton Court as M25 to M3 is scheduled to close 2000/2030 again.If Friday and on TV unlikely to attend again. I was luckier than some as had to drop my daughter in Woking so took A246/A25 home.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 18:49
Quote:
simjam
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Question QK, will you be sending COYQ a Christmas Card this year.

Looks like COYQ is no more. Or it could just be that we've won, so "JK out" is even more futile than usual.

TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 21:28
Quote:
Mancquin
I just answered the question which was asked. Incidentally for anyone thinking of retiring and / or downsizing, my wife and I sold the family home with garden in Surrey,when the kids left home and moved into Richmond Borough. No gardening. No neighbours to get on with as no-one in a London Borough has much to do with neighbours and a 20 Minute walk to Quins. For countryside we have Twickenham Green and 3 good pubs in walking distance.
Just saying.

Speak for yourself! You might not be friendly enough to get on with your neighbours but we do!

West Stand, Block FD, Row S
@JT075 #COYQ

T-Bone (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 10:02
Quote:
Stooperman

Problem is by going to Maidenhead you do run the risk of getting caught in one of Greenwood's over-enthusiastic twitter / instagram videos!

I got a black cab home to Kew from Twickenham and had to tell the driver which roads to take, as despite presumably having done the knowledge, he didn't know the way., Thought that was the selling point of black cabs over uber. Expressed similar thoughts to him. felt rather stupid / guilty afterwards. Ho hum

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 12:35
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
Stooperman

Problem is by going to Maidenhead you do run the risk of getting caught in one of Greenwood's over-enthusiastic twitter / instagram videos!

I got a black cab home to Kew from Twickenham and had to tell the driver which roads to take, as despite presumably having done the knowledge, he didn't know the way., Thought that was the selling point of black cabs over uber. Expressed similar thoughts to him. felt rather stupid / guilty afterwards. Ho hum

Anyone can rent a black cab by the day to work as long as you have a Hackney Carriage Licence and that doesnt neccessarily have to be from London.

Quin Kong (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 14:38
Quote:
Scaramouche
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
Stooperman

Anyone can rent a black cab by the day to work as long as you have a Hackney Carriage Licence and that doesnt neccessarily have to be from London.

Also different licences cover different parts of London, however a central London badge holder has no limits to where they can operate as the test is that much harder. Sounds like you got one of those on the way back into London.

QUIN KONG

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 15:20
Quote:
Scaramouche
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
Stooperman

All hail... winking smiley

#Cabbydouche

RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 16:21
Quote:
Scaramouche
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
Stooperman

So anyone can hire a balck cab - as long as they are a blac cab driver? Good to know.

BlueCap (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 16:37
Likewise for us. M3 then M25 roadworks so came off at Junction 11 to go via Woking. Guess what! More roadworks! Got home at 11:30

blucherquin (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 18:31
Quote:
Mancquin

I’d have got a cab if I lived that far away - prefer being able to pop home for a pee at half time

QuickerQuin (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 21:05
Quote:
Stooperman

Where and how did the offensive stewarding at The Stoop manifest itself?

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 00:25
Quote:
RodneyRegis
Quote:
Scaramouche
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
Stooperman

So anyone can hire a balck cab - as long as they are a blac cab driver? Good to know.

Yes. No balck or blac discrimination here, my friend.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 00:26
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Mancquin

I’d have got a cab if I lived that far away - prefer being able to pop home for a pee at half time

Sweet! smiling smiley

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 00:29
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Scaramouche
Quote:
T-Bone
Quote:
Stooperman

All hail... winking smiley

#Cabbydouche

Brilliant! smiling smiley

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 09:36
According to...

[roadworks.org]

...no roadworks between Stoop and M25 likely until 22:00 and only at Sunbury Cross Shopping Centre Roundabout...

ChiddQuin (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 10:33
roadworks on Saturday (and other days) on M25 anti clockwise J11-10 from 21.00 according to Highways Agency.

ChiddQuin (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 10:41
Oh, to add to the above post I just spotted this too.....

The M3 westbound between junctions J2 and J4 . Lane Closures : Lanes 1, 2, 3 and 4 will be closed. Reason : Road repairs are planned. Status : Pending. Schedule : Expect disruption everyday between 20:00 and 05:30 from 10 October 2017 to 21 October 2017. Lanes Closed : All lanes will be closed.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 11:41
B-ugger!

IsteadQuin (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 12:32
Thanks for the warning ChiddQuin!

Rocker (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 14:04
Indeed thanks for the warning. Wed better make a quick getaway on Saturday after the match then!

Monte (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 15:43
Surrey highways def says M3 to M25 is no go from 2000 whatever it says elsewhere.

1908 (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 20:11
Anyone can rent a black cab? Really?

Right, I'm off to the barn to paint my Massey Ferguson black. I sense some easy money this Saturday.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 11:33
Quote:
Right, I'm off to the barn to paint my Massey Ferguson black. I sense some easy money this Saturday.

If you paint over Granite's grey bits you could probably earn a few bob there too...

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 11:43
Quote:
Scaramouche
Quote:

If you paint over Granite's grey bits you could probably earn a few bob there too...

Speaking from experience? winking smiley

#paintsoverhisgreybits #justformen

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 11:51
#racingsnakeneedsnohair

11 October, 2017 16:04
I've got next Saturday sorted.

Drop Mrs NFQ off at her brother's house in Ruislip after the game and then take the M40, M25, M4 to Reading, A something Reading to Basingstoke, M3 at Basingstoke to M27, M27 to Cadnam, A31 to Ringwood, Ringwood to Fordingbridge.

They won't get me this time.

Must remember to fill up with diesel!

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 23:11
Bon Fortuna!

Robertquin (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 06:39
Quote:
ChiddQuin
Oh, to add to the above post I just spotted this too.....
The M3 westbound between junctions J2 and J4 . Lane Closures : Lanes 1, 2, 3 and 4 will be closed. Reason : Road repairs are planned. Status : Pending. Schedule : Expect disruption everyday between 20:00 and 05:30 from 10 October 2017 to 21 October 2017. Lanes Closed : All lanes will be closed.

Presumably a prompt departure after the match could get you out of the area before it shuts? Or is that unduly optimistic?

TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 07:36
Quote:
New Forest Quin
I've got next Saturday sorted.
Drop Mrs NFQ off at her brother's house in Ruislip after the game and then take the M40, M25, M4 to Reading, A something Reading to Basingstoke, M3 at Basingstoke to M27, M27 to Cadnam, A31 to Ringwood, Ringwood to Fordingbridge.

They won't get me this time.

Must remember to fill up with diesel!

That is a journey and a half - fair play to you for making it!

West Stand, Block FD, Row S
@JT075 #COYQ

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 08:21
Quote:
Scaramouche
#racingsnakeneedsnohair

#seriouslyworriednow #hopewerenotsatnexttoeachother #smoothassilk

13 October, 2017 08:57
For those travelling via train (specifically Great Western) be warned that there's major disruption on the Paddington-Reading-Didcot routes with buses between Didcot & maidenhead via Reading. Apparently it's all to do with testing the electrification improvements.

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 10:11
Quote:
Fearless Fred
For those travelling via train (specifically Great Western) be warned that there's major disruption on the Paddington-Reading-Didcot routes with buses between Didcot & maidenhead via Reading. Apparently it's all to do with testing the electrification improvements.

I'm told that the Reading to Maidenhead section is closed tomorrow, but trains from Maidenhead should be OK. I haven't checked this but the other half tells me so I dare not question it!

Personally I find it easier to get the train from Windsor to Twickenham. There's a spur line from Slough to Windsor that goes a few times every hour, and it's a short walk from Windsor central to Windsor riverside (where the Waterloo train leaves from). It does involve getting off the train at Slough of course, but life is unfair sometimes and if you've had vaccinations and wear a kevlar jacket you should be OK.

Alternatively, park in Windsor near the station.

13 October, 2017 10:16
Sadly for me that's not going to work, as I'm out Didcot/Oxford way, so it's either drive the whole thing, or use an alternative. Given the k/o time, I'd already decided to get the train & stay in TW overnight anyway. Just means I've got to go up to Oxford & come in via the Oxford -> Marylebone -> Waterloo route. Not ideal!

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 12:18
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Scaramouche
#racingsnakeneedsnohair

#seriouslyworriednow #hopewerenotsatnexttoeachother #smoothassilk

#alsoavailableasaloungelizard

I've got my journey home sorted. Son in Law is driving home and I'm taking a pillow. Now, do I mention to him about the road closures....?....naahhh it'll be fine..

Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 12:18
That is a pain! Have you looked at travel via Basingstoke?

If not, there are some nice cheap hotels around Twickenham. And some more pricey ones!

Monte (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 21:39
To add to the joys of travelling tomorrrow Kempton racing starts 1615 tomorrow if you are coming from the west up the M3

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 09:59
Seriously thinking about watching it on telly.....

Rocker (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 20:54
Don't know how it panned out for others, but we didn't chance the dreaded London Orbital Car Park (M25) but went via Hampton and then the A3 home. Not traffic to speak of and only took just over 50 minutes. Result smiling smiley

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 21:46
Certainly no problems on M25 J13 to J21, home in an hour tonight.

Robertquin (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 22:07
M3 then M25 to J28. Left at 7.30, home 8.45. Wish it was that good every week!

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 04:33
No problems on the cab ride from the ground to Church Street.

MrOther (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 08:26
Forced to stand all the way to Waterloo listening to a drunken git spouting nonsense to a very patient Argentinian who'd also been at the match.

"Mike Brown got injured in Argentina. That was his first game for us this season." And so on. 30 minutes of don't-mention-the-Falklands while the missus slept it off next to them.

15 October, 2017 11:27
Finally home after what felt like a marathon trek this morning. TW to Reading nearly as normal 1hr15. Wait 30 mins for replacement bus service to Didcot, which took a further 40 mins. Then a 25 min wait for the train up to Oxford (15min), and just catch the connecting bus by the skin of my teeth back to Grove (another 30 mins) and a 120 minute walk home.

I need a drink!

Dinsdale (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 11:47
I'm sure you'll all be delighted to know that my bike ride to Surbiton via the Sussex Arms was just fine, again smiling smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net