rugbyunion
Latest News:

Quinssa WebsiteQuins News from News NowQuins Official Site

Post Match Survey from the Club
Scaramouche (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 10:14
Amongst the myriad of post purchase surveys we are all asked to complete these days (very annoying) I picked out the Quins one after Friday night.

Interesting exercise because we won and maybe I was a bit grumpy about the traffic problems but I didn't think I had an axe to grind...until the comments sections, then I realised I am actually quite unhappy about the matchday experience. It ended up something like this..

" We really look forward to coming to the Stoop from a sporting perspective but there is really nothing else attractive about the trip. Travel/ Parking are challenging, No decent ale available (even in a bottle) and very expensive, we normally get McDonalds or local fish and chips before entering as the food is ridiculously expensive and average quality with horrendous queues, there are not enough toilets for peak times causing disruption when game has already restarted, stewards dont police the movement of fans while the game is in progress, stewards wont allow you to bring in your own beers and wines (as they might be used as missiles...do me a favour),there is very poor lighting on the egress after the game and the PA system is so loud you have to converse using sign language..."

I'd like to say rant over but it is not a rant simply a statement of truth.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Re: Post Match Survey from the Club
Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 13:05
Some people will always find something to moan about!

blucherquin (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 13:14
You want to be able to bring bottles and cans into a public arena...I think you took a wrong turn in 1976

blucherquin (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 13:17
Also - why do you want to talk Mr Tradition? Shouldn’t you be watching the game religiously.

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 13:22
Before the game silly

SiBolton (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 13:36
And sometimes the fans make a lot of noise
Lighting! Every walked back from Sixways after a game
Love to know what sporting events don't have ques for the loos
And as for the stewards policing the movement of fans, shout "" Sit down" it works

But the " Not aloud to bring own bottles of drink " are you serious or is this just a wind up

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 13:53
Well no not really SiB. I'm fully cognisant of the problem of food and drink into venues but I bet if you turned up with some wine in a plastic bottle they wouldn't let that in either because they want to have your dollar inside the ground.

Like I say, I was just a bit surprised how many things irk me but I still never miss a game. If you don't point out irritations then how are the Club supposed to react if everyone is passive? I cannot believe I am alone with some/all of my observations.

never sleep (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 14:48
I do like the craft ale bar behind the North stand. Possibly like it a little too much.
But I had a moan about the three food stalls taking up a load of space near the stage in the king's bar. They didn't even seem to be selling anything

ArchQuin (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 15:31
I don't like the stupid pound on the beer that you then have to return to get back - and the lighting behind the south west corner where the food/drink outlets are is not good - otherwise all okay 😂

Mancquin (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 16:39
I queued for a pint of Guinness before the game for 10 minutes to discover that the queue split in two at the front. Lager on the left and Guinness on the right. I am in the left hand part. "Sorry can't sell you a Guinness you are in the wrong queue" (which is 2 feet to the right) At half time I queue for 20 minutes for a Guinness to be told that Guinness and IPA are finished. I have a 2nd pint of revolting lager. Simple maths. If they can sell 2 pints to half the people there they can make at least £30,000 net profit on the night.
I won't bother again. Just drink before and after off site.

TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 21:05
Quote:
never sleep
I do like the craft ale bar behind the North stand. Possibly like it a little too much.
But I had a moan about the three food stalls taking up a load of space near the stage in the king's bar. They didn't even seem to be selling anything

'Craft Ale'? It's a Greene King thing by the North stand isn't it? I'm not sure what any official definition is of craft ale (if there is one) but I very much doubt it would be one that has anything to do with Greene King

West Stand, Block FD, Row S
@JT075 #COYQ

SiBolton (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 22:06
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin
Quote:
never sleep

'Craft Ale'? It's a Greene King thing by the North stand isn't it? I'm not sure what any official definition is of craft ale (if there is one) but I very much doubt it would be one that has anything to do with Greene King

It's an 18 month acedmy course set up by the brewery to develop kids into becoming brewers
And the beer I've tried from the stall behind the north stand is pretty decent.

TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 22:19
Quote:
SiBolton
Quote:
TeddingtonQuin
Quote:
never sleep

It's an 18 month acedmy course set up by the brewery to develop kids into becoming brewers
And the beer I've tried from the stall behind the north stand is pretty decent.

OK so it's a training thing by GK, not a 'craft ale' stall as 'never sleep' described it

Fair play to GK, it has got to be an improvement on their pretty dire offerings. I might have to head up norf and find it!

West Stand, Block FD, Row S
@JT075 #COYQ

blucherquin (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 22:52
Quote:
Mancquin
I queued for a pint of Guinness before the game for 10 minutes to discover that the queue split in two at the front. Lager on the left and Guinness on the right. I am in the left hand part. "Sorry can't sell you a Guinness you are in the wrong queue" (which is 2 feet to the right) At half time I queue for 20 minutes for a Guinness to be told that Guinness and IPA are finished. I have a 2nd pint of revolting lager. Simple maths. If they can sell 2 pints to half the people there they can make at least £30,000 net profit on the night.
I won't bother again. Just drink before and after off site.

Or just get in the correct queue or try another bar - up to you of course

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 01:33
You are David Ellis and I claim my £5.

DOK (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 10:22
Had a pie from the pie shop after the game. Got to say they are excellent pies, not your Peter's pies rubbish.

If you don't like the half time queues go to the bottle sales places - no-one uses them. Yes it's lager but it's quick alcohol!

Have said before I don't like the North stand ale, it uses those lemon tasting hops - urgh! But if you like them, the brew seemed fine.

If you compare the food (let's leave out prices, we've done that one to death) this season is better than last. The attempt to supply beer is better this season.

Toilets - there's only so much you can do. Of course there are not enough toilets for peak times. If there were, we'd all have one each and the whole of the underside of the West Stand would be one big toilet!

T-Bone (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 10:45
Think the ale thing behind the north stand is a good addition. Not the nicest stuff, but the queues are pretty quick and it seems to be brewed better than the usual stuff.

Bar staff still generally useless everywhere, but at least they're just useless, not hipsters who sneer at you while offering dreadful service.

Think they could do without the food carts in the Kings bar now that they've shut off the players lounge, as there's already less room. I've not tried the food from them though, so can't comment on that.

Thought the atmosphere was good again on Friday

Haven't had any food at the ground this year so might need to try some of the new offerings at La Rochelle

never sleep (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 11:27
Quote:
DOK
If you don't like the half time queues go to the bottle sales places - no-one uses them. Yes it's lager but it's quick alcohol!
These are a really good idea - and I think they are really popular - so much so that they both ran out of beer very early. They are also a good option if you prefer not to use an environmentally friendly glass - or, if you are a bit like me where my vertical hold goes a bit wonky later on in the evening I fed this back to the club that they should have more supplies.

Cookie (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 11:40
Quote:
never sleep
Quote:
DOK
These are a really good idea - and I think they are really popular - so much so that they both ran out of beer very early. They are also a good option if you prefer not to use an environmentally friendly glass - or, if you are a bit like me where my vertical hold goes a bit wonky later on in the evening I fed this back to the club that they should have more supplies.

Did the same pre-KO as I was a little late. Shame they don't realise cider and ale also comes in bottles........

Hellequin (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 12:22
Quote:
Cookie

Did the same pre-KO as I was a little late. Shame they don't realise cider and ale also comes in bottles........

Especially as they have started selling cider at the Quins Head and have to pour the bottle into a pint glass each time which slows everything up.

never sleep (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 12:55
the bottles from the bottle bar are 500ml plastic bottles - i don't know it ale or cider comes in this size. (I guess the alternative is for them to sell the 4 pint plastic bottles of tesco super-strength value lager)

mighty_quin (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 13:16
Quote:
blucherquin
You want to be able to bring bottles and cans into a public arena...I think you took a wrong turn in 1976

Lords still manages it

blucherquin (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 13:44
Quote:
mighty_quin
Quote:
blucherquin

Lords still manages it

Yes it does. But then it's a little different, not many sports encourage bringing your picnic, staying at the ground for eight hours and don't mind if you don't watch the sport...wonderful as it is, you may be clutching here

mighty_quin (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 13:47
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
mighty_quin
Quote:
blucherquin

Lords still manages it

Yes it does. But then it's a little different, not many sports encourage bringing your picnic, staying at the ground for eight hours and don't mind if you don't watch the sport...wonderful as it is, you may be clutching here

Merely noting that it still happens in 2017 (Sm128)

never sleep (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 14:45
Are you sure that you can't bring in your own drinks?
As far as I know, there is nothing on the Ts&Cs for the ticket that prevents it. (I think that as long as it is in plastic, etc). I know that some venues insist that you remove the lids of plastic bottles as they could potentially be a trip hazard (i.e. standing on a full bottle is dangerous) or they could be used as weapons.
But, I have previously taken in a wine box (after the carton was discarded as it wouldn't fit in my bag) and also, a 4 pint bottle from Twickenham Fine Ales and no-one said anything about it.
Also, my kids always bring in a bottle of soft drink and nobody says anything about this.
In France, at a rugby game, my kids were stopped as they has a 1.5l bottle of water with some strawberry syrup added. The security guard thought that they were bringing in a bottle of Rose :-)

Cookie (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 14:46
Going back to Scaramouche's originally point, it's hard to argue with any of it. But then I don't think any live sports venue does any of it very well.

DOK (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 18:55
The funniest thing I ever saw was a man who smuggled a wine box into Twickenham in his trousers. (He removed the cardboard and just slipped the silver bag and spigot down his pants). Whenever he or his friends wanted a drink he'd unzip, get the spigot out his fly and pour the wine. I guess it must have been red as it would warm quite quickly! smiling smiley Anyway, it amused me but I'm easily amused!

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 01:07
Isnt that the point though Cookie? We just put up with it and they charge us a small fortune for the pleasure. Complaining may not help short term but if people begin to vote with their wallets.....

Cookie (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 09:31
True. But that means either turning your back on watching your team live or not having a drink at the game (I could care less about food). Neither is particularly palatable. And if you pay peanuts and don't train the monkeys, you get poor service.

I'm all for forcing change, but it's not like Quins are doing anything so much worse than anyone else.

Bolly-Quin (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 10:48
Any leisure or business event where the host holds a captive audience seems to cost more with less quality - no real competition - sports, pleasure parks, exhibitions or train/bus stations. High street is only place to get real competition and even then it can be hard (to get quality) - chain stores/restaurants/pubs. Its called market capitalism...

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 12:12
Come the Revolution......

MrOther (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 12:19
Quote:
Scaramouche

... first up against the wall is ...

Scaramouche (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 12:44
Quote:
MrOther
Quote:
Scaramouche

... first up against the wall is ...

JK presumably?

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 13:55
Quote:
DOK
The funniest thing I ever saw was a man who smuggled a wine box into Twickenham in his trousers. (He removed the cardboard and just slipped the silver bag and spigot down his pants). Whenever he or his friends wanted a drink he'd unzip, get the spigot out his fly and pour the wine. I guess it must have been red as it would warm quite quickly! smiling smiley Anyway, it amused me but I'm easily amused!

Nice one! smiling smiley

Not sure I'd have trusted him with an oaked chardonnay, though!

BB

Mayor West (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 21:00
I never buy anything at the ground for all the aforementioned reasons but I would like the bars to stop serving ten minutes before the game starts and not open again until after the game (just like the old days at the big Stoop) . That way I wouldn't have to keep getting up throughout the game to let people go and get more (of the dreadful) beer and then return again making us all have to miss bits of the game. Why do people who want to drink come to a rugby match? Go down the b****y pub and watch it and leave the rest of us in peace. Alternatively, don't let people who go out to get beer back in until half or full time. Your obviously not that bothered about the game as you don't mind missing half of it queueing up for beer. I'm only saying this because me and my seat neighbours had to get up sixteen times last game, more than the usual ten or so. I am Mike Brown in game mode today.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 21:28
Quote:
Mayor West
I never buy anything at the ground for all the aforementioned reasons but I would like the bars to stop serving ten minutes before the game starts and not open again until after the game (just like the old days at the big Stoop) . That way I wouldn't have to keep getting up throughout the game to let people go and get more (of the dreadful) beer and then return again making us all have to miss bits of the game. Why do people who want to drink come to a rugby match? Go down the b****y pub and watch it and leave the rest of us in peace. Alternatively, don't let people who go out to get beer back in until half or full time. Your obviously not that bothered about the game as you don't mind missing half of it queueing up for beer. I'm only saying this because me and my seat neighbours had to get up sixteen times last game, more than the usual ten or so. I am Mike Brown in game mode today.

And there’s nothing worse than when I get up and down to get beer and enjoy myself than the hurrohing of someone who is missing none of the action and has been politely asked to stand up for 2 seconds. I’m Danny Care in weeing all over the place mode.

DOK (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 22:05
Well, the thing is you can choose to leave your seat at a break in play. I appreciate coming back is a bit more problematic for timing.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 08:27
It wouldn't be so bad if the people in my row did that but they don't. One particular pair are always late carrying their beer. Then they go out during each half, then go out early before half time and are late back after half time. Then they leave early. Then there's all the others in the rows in front where you don't have to stand up yourself but you can't see because all the people in front are standing up for them. Perhaps we should do away with seats and stand instead. Problem solved.

never sleep (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 09:00
Quote:
Mayor West
It wouldn't be so bad if the people in my row did that but they don't. One particular pair are always late carrying their beer. Then they go out during each half, then go out early before half time and are late back after half time. Then they leave early. Then there's all the others in the rows in front where you don't have to stand up yourself but you can't see because all the people in front are standing up for them. Perhaps we should do away with seats and stand instead. Problem solved.
If it upsets you that much, I would suggest moving your seat.
I go the game to watch the game, have a few beers with my mates and talk to the regular members round me. I enjoy the social side as much as the game. Just because I drink beer, etc, doesn't mean that I don't watch the game and I do miss bits by wandering off to the bar. However, I generally minimise this by going during injury breaks, etc. I also sit right next to an exit so I can get to the bar quickly without pushing past anyone. If there was no bar (or other things such as post match band, etc), then I would probably resort to watching at the pub instead.
But, if you choose your seat carefully, then the people like me won't need to push past you - e.g. sit midway between exists.

GP2110 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 09:41
I agree that it's very annoying. I don't mind it at the Stoop because I am at the middle of a row so rarely have to get up. However, when I visit Twickenham it is a joke how often people leave and come back. Why pay all that money to go to a game to then miss half of it. surely you can enjoy the social beers before and after the game? and take one / two with you for each half perhaps. how many beers are required for a 40 min half?

Cookie (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 09:49
Quote:
never sleep
Quote:
Mayor West
I go the game to watch the game, have a few beers with my mates and talk to the regular members round me. I enjoy the social side as much as the game. Just because I drink beer, etc, doesn't mean that I don't watch the game and I do miss bits by wandering off to the bar. However, I generally minimise this by going during injury breaks, etc. I also sit right next to an exit so I can get to the bar quickly without pushing past anyone. If there was no bar (or other things such as post match band, etc), then I would probably resort to watching at the pub instead.
But, if you choose your seat carefully, then the people like me won't need to push past you - e.g. sit midway between exists.

What you mean to say is be a botherer, not a bothered........

johnlid (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 10:18
Quote:
never sleep
Quote:
Mayor West

Don't understand how some people can't go more than 30 minutes without alcohol. Perhaps they should be watching in a pub

never sleep (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 10:58
Maybe part of the issue is that the queues at the Queen's head and the toilets in the South Stand are so bad that going during half time is not really a good option.
It is far better to nip out during the first injury time-off of the half to go to the loo and get a refill. If the players get to have a drink, then, why can't I?
I don't see what the problem is with drinking beer and watching rugby. In my head, they go together.
I think the issue that Mayor West has is that the offenders are being inconsiderate and are ignorant of the people around them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2017 11:17 by never sleep.

johnlid (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 11:27
No problem with drinking beer but nipping out means other people can't watch the rugby for people "nipping out". Are such people so desperate for alcohol that they can't wait until after the match?

never sleep (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 11:41
For me, it would make the "event" less of an "event". As stated, watching the rugby is only one of the reasons that I watch the rugby.
It's a bit like going to work. My primary motivation is to earn money to pay the bills. But, I enjoy the social aspects of working in an office. Hence, if I didn't need the money, would I still work. The answer is probably yes.

johnlid (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 11:59
I think the issue is not you watching the rugby but the interfering of others' ability to watch the rugby uninterrupted by people going to and from the bar

talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 12:02
I like a good whinge like everyone else, but I honestly think a lot of the concerns in the original post are just what happens when you go to an event with 10,000+ people.

Not everyone's drinks tastes can be accommodated. There is lager, ale and now craft beer, plus Guinness and what I believe is described as wine. Frankly the choice and quality of drinks at Quins is far superior to what you'd receive at most sporting/musical events (better than at Big Stoop for example).

The food choices are also pretty good compared to most places (certainly better than pretty much any football stadium I've ever been to) and the price of drinks and food is roughly in line with the prices at similar locations. If you're expecting the food and drink to be at Wetherspoons prices then you're on a hiding to nothing, and in any case it's not as if you can't go to those places before or after the game instead.

In terms of toilets etc again it's just a fact of going to matches in older stadia. Yes the Stoop could do with more toilets but you'd have to find somewhere to put them, and then I'm sure people would complain that they get in the way of something else.

As others have said, issues around bringing in your own food/drink etc are standard (and sensible) and all stadia, and it isn't for the stewards to police movement other than if people are standing up in front of other fans.

All in all the Stoop is still a great place to go, and I do think they are doing a decent job of slowly trying to improve it in what is a pretty small footprint for a rugby stadium.

Mayor West (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 18:24
It's good to see I have some support, I think. Moving seats may not solve the problem as you can't tell what type of person sits near you on the seat map. After sitting in my "cheapseat" for nine years now I have several friends sat around me who I'd like to stay next to. I have also seen many changes around me but this year seems worse for people going out during the game than before. Incidentally, it's nice to have more legroom in the cheapseats than the posh ones. It must be even worse in those when people go past.
Back to the beer quality, is the problem that only the big companies can afford to pay the club to sell their wares whereas smaller companies cannot afford to do this. Unfortunately green King are the highest bidders. I'm sure I was told that the micro or craft breweries can only produce up to a certain amount of beer before they can no longer claim that status. This might be a problem for our local Brewers.

blucherquin (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 18:53
Quote:
johnlid
No problem with drinking beer but nipping out means other people can't watch the rugby for people "nipping out". Are such people so desperate for alcohol that they can't wait until after the match?

“Desperate for alcohol”

Or “having a fun day/evening out having a few beers and watching rugby”

johnlid (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 19:58
Not sure how one can watch the rugby whilst continually getting up to get a beer/go to the toilet

Jus-Quin-Time (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 19:58
I would like the club to introduce a simple policy that if you leave your seat during the game then you will not be allowed back until there is a reasonable break in play. Enforced by the stewards.

I recall that the Toulon supporters self imposed that rule by simply refusing anyone back to their seat - a Gallic shrug and 'non' effectively refused return access.

I am not convinced that “having a fun day/evening out having a few beers and watching rugby” justifies disturbing other peoples enjoyment of watching the game by obstructing their view. Can the same people manage to have a fun evening out having a few beers and watching a 2 hour film at the cinema without getting out of their seats every 20 minutes..you betcha they can. So this isn't about fun its about selfish, boorish and anti-social behaviour.

That said, it isn't a problem where I sit because everyone brings along the drinks they need for the half, ease springs at half time and then look forward to further refreshments at the end. It is however a real problem at big stoop.

MrOther (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 21:14
I am never tempted to go and buy more beer during the game. Maybe it's pathetic of me, but I even pace my pre-game drinking to avoid having to pee during play, partly because I find it anti-social to clamber over everyone and disturb their view but also because I don't want to miss anything myself.

I'm not a season ticket holder so I don't have a fixed seat at the Stoop and it's pot luck how close I am to an aisle. At Big Stoop, where there is even less room to squeeze past everyone's knees, I have recently arranged to move seats as part of the East Stand development so that I sit right on the aisle. That way I can drink and pee as much and as often as I like, but it will mean that every time someone else in my row makes a trip I will have to stand up to let them pass. I don't yet know how irritating that will prove to be.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net